Live

Black Friday deal team is live right now!

Check out the hottest Black Friday Deals!

Expand Minimize
    This will be long, but I’m bored.
    Backstory:
    Since Android was released however many years ago, I’ve been an absolute fanboy. It was a several-hour-a-day hobby at one point – rooting, modding, theming, etc. I love the freedom and control that Android gives to its users, and I’ve always enjoyed pushing the limits of my devices and testing everything I possibly can.
    On the other hand, I am a total sucker for the Blackberry keyboard. Probably the only thing I consistently despise about smartphones these days are virtual keyboards. For no reason really other than I just suck using them. I find them to be frustrating and non-immersive.
    So a few years ago, after being on Android for quite some time, and the thrill that I mentioned above beginning to fade a little bit, I decided to switch from a Galaxy to a BB Q10. This was a HUGE transition for me in so many ways – basically everything was a downgrade in my eyes except for the kb…and I really, REALLY wanted that kb.
    My experience with the Q10 was bittersweet. I loved the kb, but the phone was just SO limited compared to anything else I had ever used. And the tiny screen was impossible to ignore. After a year or so with the Q10, I decided that I was glad I mixed it up, but it was time to go back to Android – I want to root again, I wanted a full screen again, and I wanted the Play Store again.
    I sold my Q10 and upgraded to a Galaxy S5 and everything was back to normal. Fast forward two years and I hear about the KeyOne. I think to myself “this could literally be my dream phone” – Full android device WITH a BB kb, where do I sign up???
    Review:
    I like the phone, I really do. But as we all know, it is far from perfect. The kb is exactly what I expected it to be – it is really the only reason I bought the phone, and it has not disappointed. The specs are overall middle-of-the-road, but they are 100% useable on a daily basis.
    The RAM is not-so-great but if you are diligent about clearing memory and rebooting every once in a while, you will be able to survive fairly comfortably with casual use. However, for a device/brand whose major selling point is productivity/multi-tasking, I find the phone really struggling to keep up when more than 3 or 4 apps get involved in whatever I’m doing.
    Now let’s get to my major issue – reception. I can only speak from personal experience, but this phone has SERIOUS reception issues for me. I will intermittently lose service while at work, but for some reason I don’t reconnect for minutes sometimes – and during this time while the phone is trying to find good connection again, it seems to slow down immensely. I essentially can’t do anything on the phone unless I have a steady 4G connection, and this is very seldom. I live in a bad reception area, but never did I feel this debilitated by signal issues before.
    Overall:
    I think root access for this phone would solve most of, if not all, of its internal problems. RAM issues would be a thing of the past with swap, and signal issues could be improved as well (assuming it is not a hardware/build issue, fingers crossed). That’s not even mentioning the endless customization and modding possibilities that root access opens the door to – but it could seriously bump this phone to a flagship level. I understand blackberry wants to be “the most secure Android phone”, but unfortunately for now it is also one of “the weakest Android phones”. And if you ask the average consumer if they would like more security or more control, I’d bet control would win hands-down. I base that on nothing other than the fact that it helps my argument lol. I really wish BB would put serious consideration into unlocking the bootloader. Probably won't happen, but here's hoping!
    09-13-17 11:16 AM
    The rooting/unlocking bootloader class of users is actually small... I don't understand why they feel like they need to be catered to... or even claim that it will be the end-all-be-all solution to problems... I personally think it would open a whole host of other issues....

Look at HTC... they are a company with higher specs, great build, AND let's users unlock their phones.... And see where they are now.... About to sell off their hardware business to Apple because it didn't work...

Also look at Apple... who locks their **** down... still, one of the biggest....

I personally rooting/unlocking is for too small of a class of users to help any brand...
    09-13-17 11:34 AM
    The rooting/unlocking bootloader class of users is actually small... I don't understand why they feel like they need to be catered to... or even claim that it will be the end-all-be-all solution to problems... I personally think it would open a whole host of other issues....

Look at HTC... they are a company with higher specs, great build, AND let's users unlock their phones.... And see where they are now.... About to sell off their hardware business to Apple because it didn't work...

Also look at Apple... who locks their **** down... still, one of the biggest....

I personally rooting/unlocking is for too small of a class of users to help any brand...
    What I don't understand is if you are not interested in rooting, why would it matter? It would change absolutely nothing about your phone, you wouldn't even notice. Cell phones are very expensive for a lot of people, and I don't think that asking for full control over something you spend hundreds of dollars on is really that outrageous of a request. It's your phone, you should be able to use it it however you want. I personally don't like being handcuffed - I don't see the point. I don't need Blackberry, or you, to tell me how secure I need my device to be - I'd like the security as an option that I can choose to take advantage of or not.

If what I'm requesting actually impacted/limited other users, I would understand your argument. But it does not, so I do not.

I have to be honest - from your tone it just sounds like rooting simply isn't something you are interested in, therefore you don't think anyone else should be interested in / be able to do either? I don't get that mindset, but oh well.
    09-13-17 11:45 AM
    What I don't understand is if you are not interested in rooting, why would it matter? It would change absolutely nothing about your phone, you wouldn't even notice. Cell phones are very expensive for a lot of people, and I don't think that asking for full control over something you spend hundreds of dollars on is really that outrageous of a request. It's your phone, you should be able to use it it however you want. I personally don't like being handcuffed - I don't see the point. I don't need Blackberry, or you, to tell me how secure I need my device to be - I'd like the security as an option that I can choose to take advantage of or not.

If what I'm requesting actually impacted/limited other users, I would understand your argument. But it does not, so I do not.

I have to be honest - from your tone it just sounds like rooting simply isn't something you are interested in, therefore you don't think anyone else should be interested in / be able to do either? I don't get that mindset, but oh well.
    It wouldn't impact me directly... but I highly doubt allowing root wouldn't affect their customer service turn around time... or in some way make blackberry adjust any type of pricing scheme now that they have to account for people who mess up their phone through root.. Go on xda, see how many people are struggling with a functioning phone... sure, a few happy ones .. But mainly just post after post about how X isn't working correctly...

Just because you or I can't think of a possible outcome, doesn't mean there isn't one...
    09-13-17 12:22 PM
    edit: removed
    Last edited by Insomaniac10; 09-13-17 at 01:45 PM.
    09-13-17 01:28 PM
    It wouldn't impact me directly... but I highly doubt allowing root wouldn't affect their customer service turn around time... or in some way make blackberry adjust any type of pricing scheme now that they have to account for people who mess up their phone through root.. Go on xda, see how many people are struggling with a functioning phone... sure, a few happy ones .. But mainly just post after post about how X isn't working correctly...

Just because you or I can't think of a possible outcome, doesn't mean there isn't one...
    Also, I'm not suggesting Blackberry would benefit from any of this - but it would certainly benefit anyone who knows, or would learn, about the rooting process. RAM issues, processor speed, network connectivity, storage, etc....it opens up so many doors for device control, optimization, and customization. Is there risk to it? Of course, but it is universally known that the risk is 100% accepted by the user in the event they gain root access to their device. And the risk, by the way, is not as catastrophic as people who are unfamiliar with the process like to make it out to be. There is always a way back, and as long as you are diligent about backing everything up there really isn't anything to lose other than a tiny amount of time and effort. I've been rooting all my devices, and performing deep functions back since the Moto Cliq, and I have never come across or heard of an instance where a user bricked their device beyond the point of return. I've "bricked" my devices countless times, but that word should not be feared because your device isn't actually a brick at that point - you just need to reload the original firmware to get back up and running, which takes a handful of minutes. Truly bricking a device is very difficult, and I honestly wouldn't even know how to do that if you asked me to - you really would have to just sit there and mindlessly press buttons in order to achieve that....and honestly if that is something you (generally speaking) practice, then you shouldn't be trusted with any technology, period.
    09-13-17 01:44 PM
    I do not have reception issues. Is the same as I had it on PRIV and as to multitasking I do not have much problem either. I do notice that some apps need to be refreshed but it is not major problem. Having said that 4GB version is the one that I would buy now. I am sure it works better in some cases than 3GB version.
    09-13-17 03:34 PM
    I know this sounds odd, but did you use the Sim card it came with or one from previous a device?
    09-13-17 03:59 PM
    There are many people who have reported reception issues with the phone. I don't think there is any fix for it at this time.
    jfalkingham likes this.
    09-13-17 04:32 PM
    I know this sounds odd, but did you use the Sim card it came with or one from previous a device?
    The one that came with it.
    09-13-17 04:40 PM
    OK. I was using a previous one and had reception issues. Someone told me to change to issued sim and it cleared up the issue . Not sure why though?
    09-13-17 04:56 PM

Rooting is a feature that keeps some of us on Android. If I wasn't able to root, I may as well just get an iPhone.
    09-13-17 05:19 PM
    Here for the reception issues:

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...e-1122795-new/

Its caused by touching the lower part of the K1 because it interferes with the antenna . Those who have installed a case report reception is better.
    09-13-17 05:40 PM
    Here for the reception issues:

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...e-1122795-new/

Its caused by touching the lower part of the K1 because it interferes with the antenna . Those who have installed a case report reception is better.
    I'm following this thread, but haven't seen this update yet. That is definitely interesting, however does not apply to me seeing seeing as the phone is lying on its back for 80% of the time I am at my desk, and it still cuts in and out constantly. I'll still keep an eye out for it.
    09-13-17 08:28 PM
    OK. I was using a previous one and had reception issues. Someone told me to change to issued sim and it cleared up the issue . Not sure why though?
    I changed to a new sim, and reception did not improve.
    09-14-17 06:06 AM
    This will be long, but I’m bored.
    Backstory:
    Since Android was released however many years ago, I’ve been an absolute fanboy. It was a several-hour-a-day hobby at one point – rooting, modding, theming, etc. I love the freedom and control that Android gives to its users, and I’ve always enjoyed pushing the limits of my devices and testing everything I possibly can.
    On the other hand, I am a total sucker for the Blackberry keyboard. Probably the only thing I consistently despise about smartphones these days are virtual keyboards. For no reason really other than I just suck using them. I find them to be frustrating and non-immersive.
    So a few years ago, after being on Android for quite some time, and the thrill that I mentioned above beginning to fade a little bit, I decided to switch from a Galaxy to a BB Q10. This was a HUGE transition for me in so many ways – basically everything was a downgrade in my eyes except for the kb…and I really, REALLY wanted that kb.
    My experience with the Q10 was bittersweet. I loved the kb, but the phone was just SO limited compared to anything else I had ever used. And the tiny screen was impossible to ignore. After a year or so with the Q10, I decided that I was glad I mixed it up, but it was time to go back to Android – I want to root again, I wanted a full screen again, and I wanted the Play Store again.
    I sold my Q10 and upgraded to a Galaxy S5 and everything was back to normal. Fast forward two years and I hear about the KeyOne. I think to myself “this could literally be my dream phone” – Full android device WITH a BB kb, where do I sign up???
    Review:
    I like the phone, I really do. But as we all know, it is far from perfect. The kb is exactly what I expected it to be – it is really the only reason I bought the phone, and it has not disappointed. The specs are overall middle-of-the-road, but they are 100% useable on a daily basis.
    The RAM is not-so-great but if you are diligent about clearing memory and rebooting every once in a while, you will be able to survive fairly comfortably with casual use. However, for a device/brand whose major selling point is productivity/multi-tasking, I find the phone really struggling to keep up when more than 3 or 4 apps get involved in whatever I’m doing.
    Now let’s get to my major issue – reception. I can only speak from personal experience, but this phone has SERIOUS reception issues for me. I will intermittently lose service while at work, but for some reason I don’t reconnect for minutes sometimes – and during this time while the phone is trying to find good connection again, it seems to slow down immensely. I essentially can’t do anything on the phone unless I have a steady 4G connection, and this is very seldom. I live in a bad reception area, but never did I feel this debilitated by signal issues before.
    Overall:
    I think root access for this phone would solve most of, if not all, of its internal problems. RAM issues would be a thing of the past with swap, and signal issues could be improved as well (assuming it is not a hardware/build issue, fingers crossed). That’s not even mentioning the endless customization and modding possibilities that root access opens the door to – but it could seriously bump this phone to a flagship level. I understand blackberry wants to be “the most secure Android phone”, but unfortunately for now it is also one of “the weakest Android phones”. And if you ask the average consumer if they would like more security or more control, I’d bet control would win hands-down. I base that on nothing other than the fact that it helps my argument lol. I really wish BB would put serious consideration into unlocking the bootloader. Probably won't happen, but here's hoping!
    Grip the bottom of the KEYone you'll see your signal drop. Hand off, its usually better. From a reception standpoint it's embarrassing how many calls drop and because of that I'm going to be returning the device to AT&T and that sucks! I absolutely love the phone and it's snappy enough for me, but ouch that reception!
    09-14-17 07:21 AM
    I'm following this thread, but haven't seen this update yet. That is definitely interesting, however does not apply to me seeing seeing as the phone is lying on its back for 80% of the time I am at my desk, and it still cuts in and out constantly. I'll still keep an eye out for it.
    What material is your desk surface?
    09-14-17 09:19 AM
    Its caused by touching the lower part of the K1 because it interferes with the antenna .
    So, the answer is "You're holding it wrong."? Where have I heard that one before?

My K1 backstory/review - 2 months in-uuh23a.jpg
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    09-14-17 09:00 PM
    SMH. Mean Troy, just mean
    09-14-17 09:19 PM
    The fact that you can type such long post is just proof how awesome keyone is. My KEYone is just flying. I just turned off most background services. No more annoying peeps from Facebook. From now on it is all on my terms when I want it plus battery is awesome even more now no lag , no problems. Lot of problems are caused by apps installed on your phone
    09-17-17 02:16 PM
    I have the same problem. My phone often sits on my desk, and I talk on speaker because I am editing documents and need both hands. My desk is wood. My BB Classic is just fine. The Keyone not so much.
    09-17-17 09:17 PM