I know there are many reviewers out there that like to use a phone for a little bit of time before they give their thoughts and I think that is necessary too when doing a full review of a new device. However, initial impressions are just as important because that time period is when you notice any big differences on your new device that may be different from your old device. I am coming from a BlackBerry DTEK60.

I'll try to keep this as short as I can. I'm sure you've all read/watched reviews on the keyboard. It is fantastic. There is not much more to be said about the keyboard. It gives great feedback unlike the priv, it does not feel small, (I have large hands), and it just works REALLY well. I really have no complaints whatsoever.

Build quality is absolutely fantastic as well. This thing feels like a 20 pound dumbbell compared to my DTEK60 and that's a good thing in my opinion. No PRIV-like creaking, and no DTEK60-like slip. I will not be using a case on this phone. Fingerprint sensor is quick and snappy.

Software runs smooth and fluid, faster than my DTEK60. Too early to comment on battery life but I think that has been a general consensus amongst users that it is fantastic. The camera is very good but there are better options out there. So if you're looking for a fantastic mobile camera then you might want to go down the Pixel, S8, or even S7 road. The camera is very capable but not the best. (Thanks captain obvious, I know).

The display is good but not great as you may know. Historically I have preferred AMOLED displays over LCD. This display gets the job done for sure, but you will notice it lacking when you pull up the odd youtube video here and there. (Again this is relative to my DTEK60 as that is what I'm switching from)

NEGATIVES

Here's what I've noticed right away that I do not like. Decide for yourself whether this is important to you or not, but these are things that are very noticeable for me. The vibration on this phone is..not very good. At all. It sounds terrible, it feels terrible. There's not much more to be said. Now this could be completely just my device only, but this is certainly been noticeable. It is not very good.

Next is those capacitive buttons. I read about some folks having to press them multiple times before registering. This is totally true from my experience and by far my biggest negative with the KEYone. The full virtual buttons on the DTEK60 were much quicker and worked much better.

It's been a day, so I'll certainly share more of my experience as I get used to this device more. I would have liked to have gotten a factory unlocked unit for future updates going forward but unfortunately that didn't happen. (Canada). I am overall very satisfied, this is an upgrade to my DTEK60, no matter what the spec sheet says. Enjoy your KEYones folks, and for those of you that are frustrated with how things have gone, you will not find another device like this. Do not settle for anything less. I understand your frustration but if you truly want this device then wait it out, you will be happy in the end. Cheers to another 12 months of another new BlackBerry!! Happy typing everyone.
    05-31-17 08:35 PM
    Got mine at 10 this morning.. Speakers not the greatest but I'm OK with it... fingerprint scanner is blazing fast.. Just to add to your initial reaction this phone is great imo so far so good no issues.. Snapchat running fine
    05-31-17 08:40 PM
    Got mine at 10 this morning.. Speakers not the greatest but I'm OK with it... fingerprint scanner is blazing fast.. Just to add to your initial reaction this phone is great imo so far so good no issues.. Snapchat running fine
    It does run fine but it doesn't scale properly yet .

Pictures taken and viewing other people's snaps isn't properly scaled.
    05-31-17 08:44 PM
    It does run fine but it doesn't scale properly yet .

Pictures taken and viewing other people's snaps isn't properly scaled.
    It's much better than PRIV in terms of performance.. PRIV lags and freezes on snapchat..
    05-31-17 08:46 PM
    It's much better than PRIV in terms of performance.. PRIV lags and freezes on snapchat..
    My KEYone is laggy. Sent back to my Priv I was so frustrated. Sones sites took images forever to load. Spotify sometimes has a 10 second delay if I switch songs.

Speaker is unfortunate awful. I was hoping for on par with Priv. Priv spesker seems like a Z30 speaker compared to KEYone.

I do LOVE the Keyboard. But I need to decide if I'm keeping this thing. Took my Sim card out so I don't exceed 30 minute talk time.

I'm disappointed after being excited for so long.
    05-31-17 08:57 PM
    That's really odd. I have a PRIV as well. The KeyOne is considerably faster. I don't have any lag running Spotify either. Try wiping the phone and add one app at a time to see what might be causing the lag because that isn't normal.
    05-31-17 09:08 PM
    This is the first 8 hours of having the Keyone for me. I find the phone small which surprised me coming from the DTEK50. I like the keyboard very much as I type more accurately. What has surprised me the most is that I feel a little neutral about the phone. With my Classic I was elated and I never stopped loving it. The screen is a little dull and just quickly snapped photos are not much different from my DTEK. I feel a little let down, but in for a penny in for a pound. I do notice the battery is doing oh so much better. The DTEK50 battery was frustratingly poor.
    bold007 and Amy wineBerry like this.
    05-31-17 09:33 PM
    I know there are many reviewers out there that like to use a phone for a little bit of time before they give their thoughts and I think that is necessary too when doing a full review of a new device. However, initial impressions are just as important because that time period is when you notice any big differences on your new device that may be different from your old device. I am coming from a BlackBerry DTEK60.

I'll try to keep this as short as I can. I'm sure you've all read/watched reviews on the keyboard. It is fantastic. There is not much more to be said about the keyboard. It gives great feedback unlike the priv, it does not feel small, (I have large hands), and it just works REALLY well. I really have no complaints whatsoever.

Build quality is absolutely fantastic as well. This thing feels like a 20 pound dumbbell compared to my DTEK60 and that's a good thing in my opinion. No PRIV-like creaking, and no DTEK60-like slip. I will not be using a case on this phone. Fingerprint sensor is quick and snappy.

Software runs smooth and fluid, faster than my DTEK60. Too early to comment on battery life but I think that has been a general consensus amongst users that it is fantastic. The camera is very good but there are better options out there. So if you're looking for a fantastic mobile camera then you might want to go down the Pixel, S8, or even S7 road. The camera is very capable but not the best. (Thanks captain obvious, I know).

The display is good but not great as you may know. Historically I have preferred AMOLED displays over LCD. This display gets the job done for sure, but you will notice it lacking when you pull up the odd youtube video here and there. (Again this is relative to my DTEK60 as that is what I'm switching from)

NEGATIVES

Here's what I've noticed right away that I do not like. Decide for yourself whether this is important to you or not, but these are things that are very noticeable for me. The vibration on this phone is..not very good. At all. It sounds terrible, it feels terrible. There's not much more to be said. Now this could be completely just my device only, but this is certainly been noticeable. It is not very good.

Next is those capacitive buttons. I read about some folks having to press them multiple times before registering. This is totally true from my experience and by far my biggest negative with the KEYone. The full virtual buttons on the DTEK60 were much quicker and worked much better.

It's been a day, so I'll certainly share more of my experience as I get used to this device more. I would have liked to have gotten a factory unlocked unit for future updates going forward but unfortunately that didn't happen. (Canada). I am overall very satisfied, this is an upgrade to my DTEK60, no matter what the spec sheet says. Enjoy your KEYones folks, and for those of you that are frustrated with how things have gone, you will not find another device like this. Do not settle for anything less. I understand your frustration but if you truly want this device then wait it out, you will be happy in the end. Cheers to another 12 months of another new BlackBerry!! Happy typing everyone.
    What do you mean about the vibration not being very good. My Priv's vibration is so weak that I never feel it in my pocket and miss calls all the time; is it like that? Or were you commenting on a different problem with the vibration?
    05-31-17 09:40 PM
    I love mine, only 6hrs in so far but love it. Did an hour and a half ConCall on speaker phone no issues.

One thing I love compared to my S7 Edge is that I can just put my finger on the spacebar and it unlocks without even pressing it. On the S7 Edge I had to hit the home button then wait for the scanner to workers annoying when you do that hundred times in a day!

Still have to get used to hitting shift for symbols but that will come.
    05-31-17 09:49 PM
    My KEYone is laggy. Sent back to my Priv I was so frustrated. Sones sites took images forever to load. Spotify sometimes has a 10 second delay if I switch songs.

Speaker is unfortunate awful. I was hoping for on par with Priv. Priv spesker seems like a Z30 speaker compared to KEYone.

I do LOVE the Keyboard. But I need to decide if I'm keeping this thing. Took my Sim card out so I don't exceed 30 minute talk time.

You might want to factory reset , cause that does not happen to me
    05-31-17 09:51 PM
    What do you mean about the vibration not being very good. My Priv's vibration is so weak that I never feel it in my pocket and miss calls all the time; is it like that? Or were you commenting on a different problem with the vibration?
    Yes the PRIV was weak for me also but the sheer sound of it alone sounds.. Unhealthy. Almost like a component is almost broken.
    Amy wineBerry likes this.
    05-31-17 09:53 PM
    Yes the PRIV was weak for me also but the sheer sound of it alone sounds.. Unhealthy. Almost like a component is almost broken.
    I'm sorry, I'm still not clear on this. Are you saying the K1 has a weak vibration like the Priv?
    05-31-17 09:55 PM
    This is the first 8 hours of having the Keyone for me. I find the phone small which surprised me coming from the DTEK50. I like the keyboard very much as I type more accurately. What has surprised me the most is that I feel a little neutral about the phone. With my Classic I was elated and I never stopped loving it. The screen is a little dull and just quickly snapped photos are not much different from my DTEK. I feel a little let down, but in for a penny in for a pound. I do notice the battery is doing oh so much better. The DTEK50 battery was frustratingly poor.
    The camera on this phone is far better than any blackberry IMHO.
    05-31-17 10:00 PM
    Spotify runs smooth on mine... the only app that runs kinda slow is crackberry app lol not sure why... Instagram runs well too
    05-31-17 10:13 PM
    Sometimes Android phones take a day or two to settle down. I know my PRIV did. It ran very hot the first couple of days but then got much better a few days in. Might want to wait a while.

I'm also very judicious about the apps I install. Especially if they run in the background or are location or notification heavy.
    thekidshop likes this.
    05-31-17 10:32 PM

Which software version are you running? I have no lag whatsoever and I know about lag cause I had the priv.
    05-31-17 11:14 PM
    This review echos mine. What do you think of the keyboard Chin material? Mine has alot of fine scratches already. Not too big a deal as it's a component we can replace but to me it's still annoying as it's not as high quality as the rest of the phone.
    05-31-17 11:17 PM
    There's a good chance the vibrator component (or whatever it's called) might be broken, I know I had it happen to me on my Sony Xperia z1, and it made the vibration be really weak and sound awful, like a bird being strangled
    05-31-17 11:22 PM
    Lolololol thanks for the laugh
    06-01-17 04:23 AM
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and reviews of the new K1, I was hoping to do the same thing yesterday, but unfortunately I can't buy one because they where all sold out at 4:30 AM yesterday.

I am hoping that a Best Buy store in my area will have one I can go and pick up in the next couple of days, but not holding my breath.

Very disappointed with this product launch, I thought this new product launch team would have learned from previous mistakes of the past, but apparently not.
    06-01-17 04:44 AM
    My two main issues are the capacitive buttons (keep hitting them while swiping on the keyboard) and the persistent charging notification. I don't want to disable all System UI notifications but wouldn't mind not having that appear when the phone is charging.
    06-01-17 05:54 AM
    I don't seem to have a problem with swiping the capacitive touch buttons for some reason but I know many folks do.

I wonder if that is because I came from a PRIV which had a hard stop above the board (basically the screen) and I hated hitting it when swiping.
    06-01-17 07:07 AM

My keyone has no lag, and I was using both a galaxy s7 and passport before. That being said, I have not transfered my photos or media to the keyone yet. But it's worth noting I can't get it to show any signs of lag.
    06-01-17 08:02 AM
    Sometimes Android phones take a day or two to settle down. I know my PRIV did. It ran very hot the first couple of days but then got much better a few days in. Might want to wait a while.

I'm also very judicious about the apps I install. Especially if they run in the background or are location or notification heavy.
    My PRIV ran pretty inconsistently. I don't typically leave apps running in the background so I'm not worried about RAM management ever. So used to swiping them up and clicking the little x to close on BB10.
    06-01-17 09:46 AM
    Lolololol thanks for the laugh
    ?
    06-01-17 09:47 AM
33 12