I hoped against all hope that I dodged the bullet, but it was not to be. 53 weeks into ownership, today my screen fell off.

So be it. Thanks to you all, at least I wasn't surprised by it.

I had been eyeballing the Costco deal on the Samsung Galaxy S9+, but hadn't pulled the trigger. Well, as the screen fell off while I was on the highway (a good bump was the final straw), I simply drove right to Costco and got my S9+ to try out. $650 purchase price out of pocket--same as the Key2. Hmmmmmm...

Anyway, I know that I can return this inside 14 days. So, fine, I'll try it out.

Then I drove home and called Blackberry Mobile. I have to say, if the KeyOne repair goes half as well as the phone support I got on this, I may indeed take the Samsung back. HINT: it sure helps if you have your IMEI number (my screen no longer works, so I can't even turn the phone off) and a copy of your receipt somewhere. I did--I had the box and my Amazon receipt all ready to go.

Anyway, Jose couldn't have been better prepared or more helpful or patient in this matter. It took us about 15 minutes total, but he walked me right through the process of getting in their system and getting the repair set up. I have a labeled box sitting here waiting to go back via FedEx on Monday.

Like I said, I have up to 14 days to see if I like this S9+. I may like it, but if I get my KeyOne back in my hands all fixed up within a week, I may choose not to keep the Samsung.

Although I have to say, $650 for the Samsung vs $650 for the KeyTwo--I can't see the KeyTwo being competitive, from what I can tell. I love me a physical keyboard, but for everything else I'm pure Android and the BB tools don't matter--and my history with the KeyOne and its midrange specs and less than midrange performance make me think the Two won't be any better. So I don't think a KeyTwo is in my future. But as much as I get aggravated at the KeyOne with its lagginess and freezing up, it basically works.

Anyway, like I said, if the repair goes like the support call went, I'll have a perfectly fine KeyOne in hand and a choice on whether or not to spend the $650, and if so how to spend it. Frankly, I feel obligated to do business with a company that takes care of its customers like this--so maybe a KeyTwo will be in my future.

I guess I could also sell the newly-repaired KeyOne. Who knows.
    FF22 and the_boon like this.
    06-09-18 04:13 PM
    My screen popped up last night, exactly 1 year to the day I first set hands on it. I was able to keep the screen falling out so no damage done to the ribbon cable. Just stopped by the local "Man Store" and bought some double sided tape which I will be using to reattach the screen tonight. I'm very comfortable working with phones and I'm sure everything will turn out fine. Build date was May 10,2017 so it was one of the early ones.

Passport. SQW100-1 OS 10.3.3.2163
    06-09-18 04:58 PM
    Count me in in the one year club. My first batch KEYone which I imported from the UK from Selfridges had a screen eruption a week ago. RMA process was very straightforward with BBMo.
    06-09-18 05:05 PM
    I guess we could get this thread labeled: Mega screen pop thread post one year!!!!

Hope it all goes well for those in to Year Two.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    06-09-18 05:23 PM
    I'm now super paranoid about mine - I'm just at the year point, and it was manufactured in May as well. I forget the exact date, but it makes me worry that it's just a matter of time - probably the day after warranty expires.
    06-09-18 05:32 PM
    I'm now super paranoid about mine - I'm just at the year point, and it was manufactured in May as well. I forget the exact date, but it makes me worry that it's just a matter of time - probably the day after warranty expires.
    I think that BBMOBILE will extend warranty beyond 1 year for phones built before July 2017 (approx) as they did actually confirm that it was a design/assembly defect.

Sarek1701 likes this.
    06-09-18 05:42 PM
    I think that BBMOBILE will extend warranty beyond 1 year for phones built before July 2017 (approx) as they did actually confirm that it was a design/assembly defect.

Yeah. I would think so too. Plus I got an almost if not brand new phone 11.5 months after purchase. The screen thing is actually turning into sort of a sweet deal.
    06-09-18 08:21 PM
    One thing I noticed today while using my trusty old Passport while my KEYone is in sick bay, I needed to put it on the charger halfway through the day and as compared to the KEYone where I never have to.

06-09-18 09:58 PM
    yeah, K1 is SWEET on battery use. The Sammy S9+, the jury is still out--but even with the larger battery, I don't think it'll come close. (I can't imagine the S9 with the smaller battery.)

I've turned off the always-on screen to see how well that works to save battery.
    06-10-18 01:38 PM
    So, elsewhere over on PCWorld I saw a review that talked about the Key2--specifically, how horrible and stupid it was:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3279...-keyboard.html

One thing he talked about specifically being "awkward" was the fingerprint scanner on the space bar. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but this guy's a total *****.

Let me tell you, I've had this Samsung for 24 hours and I cannot imagine why the lemmings of the world think that if there's a fingerprint scanner, it must be hidden on the back. That KeyOne spacebar is the perfect item. No matter what I'm doing--either my holding the phone or it sitting on the table--it's an easy swipe of my thumb or my forefinger to wake it up from a black screen. No drama, no being blatantly obvious.

And then there's the double tap to turn the screen off. I specifically left an open slot in the bottom center of the home screen, a place for me to double tap it. Again, works great if I'm holding the phone or if it's on the table. Again, no drama or being hugely obvious about it. It Just Works.

This Samsung makes me use the power switch on the side to turn the screen off manually--which is a big pain. It forces a lot of manhandling to get to it, relative to a simple tap on the screen.

As far as turning the screen on, I can press and hold at the bottom center of the screen--that's fine. But it's not a security feature--it's just a physical feature. If the phone is sitting on the table, all I get is the number pad for entering my PIN. So now it's multiple steps.

I could pick the phone up and let it look at my face. Or even more awkward, I could pick it all the way up to stick my finger on the back and feel around for the FPS.

And yet, phones like this Samsung get all the slobbering press, while the very user friendly K1/K2 get derision from the mainstream press.

It just goes to show you. Quit paying attention to the mainstream press. They really, really don't know what they're talking about.

I will say, my K1 really didn't work all that smoothly or quickly. Google stuff wouldn't respond, it lagged when switching between apps, and sometimes froze up so bad I had to force power it off.
    If TCL were to come out with a PKB phone with a better processor and more RAM than what K1 had (and what I see in the K2 specs), I'd turn this Samsung back to Costco and just wait for that.

I'll get my K1 back from repair probably in about a week; I'll reload it and see what it's like then.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-10-18 03:53 PM
    Carphone warehouse has two years warranty on blackberry so I'm all good.

Got a day one edition silver, so far so good but if the screen does eventually pop I will just get a replacement
    06-11-18 05:42 AM
    Carphone warehouse has two years warranty on blackberry so I'm all good.

Got a day one edition silver, so far so good but if the screen does eventually pop I will just get a replacement
    I would start preparing for that eventuality if I were you by having a backup device ready to go!

Seems like all of us early adopters are on burrowed time! The good news is that BBMo's RMA process is pretty straightforward.
    06-11-18 02:34 PM
    OMG, I just got added to the One Year Club. And I wasn't so lucky as to catch it before it tore the ribbon cable, so I'm freaking dead in the water.

I bought mine from Amazon.

When I go to https://us.blackberry.com/support/contact and give it my IMEI -- it tells me to contact TCL and gives me a link.

I follow that link to https://blackberrymobile.com/hotline...ervice-center/ and then find the USA phone number 1-866-957-0761 which is a voice jail. I give it my IMEI and it tells me I got it from a reseller, and hangs up me!

So I called the USA "Hotline" number 1-855-223-4034 where after 10 minutes on hold I finally got a real human. He was able to open a case number, but not 100% guarantee there would be no charge for the repair, since it's past the 1 year warranty (by 3 weeks), but that he's not heard of any cases where they've charged since it's a known manufacturing defect.

He says it is about 7 business days of turn around time. Which I assume is from when they receive it. So I guess I'm crippled for about 2 weeks, hobbling along with my old Passport, and whatever accounts in the Password Keeper whose passwords I haven't updated since migrating to the Keyone? ARG!!
    Last edited by neefer; 07-16-18 at 07:11 PM.
    07-16-18 06:17 PM
    Screens popping off one year later? Wow. And I'm thinking I'm safe.

So far my KeyOne is flawless, no problems after one year.

Posted via CB10
    OriginalLucy likes this.
    07-17-18 01:32 AM
    I'm in the club too unfortunately. My spacebar popped off on me in May while on a business trip. Luckily it was an easy fix (5 mins at the phone repair shop). Then my screen popped off on the right side about 3 weeks shy of my one year mark. Luckily it was only the one side, so I was able to use a little electrical tape to keep it in place until I could get to the repair shop.
    07-20-18 03:05 AM
    He says it is about 7 business days of turn around time. Which I assume is from when they receive it. So I guess I'm crippled for about 2 weeks
    read my story again. 2 weeks? More like 4 weeks.

I think they'll fix it at no charge, but now you're at the point of getting something to replace it for those 4 weeks.

Mine came back fixed, and I restored it, but it's sitting here turned off--I just don't have it in me to switch back from my Galaxy S9+ for even a couple of weeks to see if it runs any better than it did before I sent it in.
    07-20-18 06:09 AM
    Mine fell out a year late too! Dropped it in a sink and it bounced around a bit. Fortunately it just lifted on one side, but I went ahead and peeled it all the way and glued the whole thing back in. It's handy to be the one in the family who fixes everybody's broken tablet screens.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-20-18 06:43 AM
    I hoped against all hope that I dodged the bullet, but it was not to be. 53 weeks into ownership, today my screen fell off.

So be it. Thanks to you all, at least I wasn't surprised by it.

I had been eyeballing the Costco deal on the Samsung Galaxy S9+, but hadn't pulled the trigger. Well, as the screen fell off while I was on the highway (a good bump was the final straw), I simply drove right to Costco and got my S9+ to try out. $650 purchase price out of pocket--same as the Key2. Hmmmmmm...

Anyway, I know that I can return this inside 14 days. So, fine, I'll try it out.

Then I drove home and called Blackberry Mobile. I have to say, if the KeyOne repair goes half as well as the phone support I got on this, I may indeed take the Samsung back. HINT: it sure helps if you have your IMEI number (my screen no longer works, so I can't even turn the phone off) and a copy of your receipt somewhere. I did--I had the box and my Amazon receipt all ready to go.

Anyway, Jose couldn't have been better prepared or more helpful or patient in this matter. It took us about 15 minutes total, but he walked me right through the process of getting in their system and getting the repair set up. I have a labeled box sitting here waiting to go back via FedEx on Monday.

Like I said, I have up to 14 days to see if I like this S9+. I may like it, but if I get my KeyOne back in my hands all fixed up within a week, I may choose not to keep the Samsung.

Although I have to say, $650 for the Samsung vs $650 for the KeyTwo--I can't see the KeyTwo being competitive, from what I can tell. I love me a physical keyboard, but for everything else I'm pure Android and the BB tools don't matter--and my history with the KeyOne and its midrange specs and less than midrange performance make me think the Two won't be any better. So I don't think a KeyTwo is in my future. But as much as I get aggravated at the KeyOne with its lagginess and freezing up, it basically works.

Anyway, like I said, if the repair goes like the support call went, I'll have a perfectly fine KeyOne in hand and a choice on whether or not to spend the $650, and if so how to spend it. Frankly, I feel obligated to do business with a company that takes care of its customers like this--so maybe a KeyTwo will be in my future.

I guess I could also sell the newly-repaired KeyOne. Who knows.
    Skip the key2
    07-20-18 07:29 AM
    I'm in the club too unfortunately. My spacebar popped off on me in May while on a business trip. Luckily it was an easy fix (5 mins at the phone repair shop). Then my screen popped off on the right side about 3 weeks shy of my one year mark. Luckily it was only the one side, so I was able to use a little electrical tape to keep it in place until I could get to the repair shop.
    Well, at least nothing else will pop off now
    07-22-18 07:17 AM
    Screens popping off one year later? Wow. And I'm thinking I'm safe.

So far my KeyOne is flawless, no problems after one year.

Posted via CB10
    I was worried about mine (see post #5 above) and officially joined the club this evening. Luckily I felt it lifting as i picked it up and have secured it with elastics for now. BBMo was very helpful, and I will be doing the advance replacement. Just waiting on hold with Telus to get a copy of my contract/proof of purchase.
    08-13-18 09:53 PM
    Ive been reading lots of posts about key1 falling off after 1 year and I just recently joined them today -__- I bought my phone July 2017 though so I kinda survive 1+ year. May I know what is the best solution in it? Will blackberry replace it or do I just send it to a repair shop and make them put adhesive on it? Thankss
    09-26-18 09:36 PM
    Ive been reading lots of posts about key1 falling off after 1 year and I just recently joined them today -__- I bought my phone July 2017 though so I kinda survive 1+ year. May I know what is the best solution in it? Will blackberry replace it or do I just send it to a repair shop and make them put adhesive on it? Thankss
    Replied to your other post - contact BBMo - this is a well-known issue with the first batch, and they're very helpful and understanding (in my case at least.)
    09-26-18 10:58 PM
    How did you make out with the warranty?
    10-19-18 08:49 AM