Today, I can't tell how much I feel frustrated... after 8 months of keyone use, I have decided to switch on my passport, just to ensure its battery doesn't die (I charge it from time to time). Anyway, I've used it again, and I must admit, the Passport SE is above the keyone from all factors : the KB is far more reactive for swipes and it feels quality, the screen is really nice (putting aside the form factor), performance, better signal... an overall better quality feel. If it was not to have access to my favorite apps (despite the money I spent), I would throw the keyone away... honestly, this is a fail, whatever they say, and I really hope the keytwo will bring the device to the level Blackberry used to be.

Posted via CB10
    Barbareren and erinsteadman like this.
    03-25-18 10:06 AM
    Today, I can't tell how much I feel frustrated... after 8 months of keyone use, I have decided to switch on my passport, just to ensure its battery doesn't die (I charge it from time to time). Anyway, I've used it again, and I must admit, the Passport SE is above the keyone from all factors : the KB is far more reactive for swipes and it feels quality, the screen is really nice (putting aside the form factor), performance, better signal... an overall better quality feel. If it was not to have access to my favorite apps (despite the money I spent), I would throw the keyone away... honestly, this is a fail, whatever they say, and I really hope the keytwo will bring the device to the level Blackberry used to be.

Posted via CB10
    To each his own.

When I pick up my Passport SE, it seems rather primitive.

It was half decent in its day, but I much prefer the KEYᵒⁿᵉ.
    Karan Riar likes this.
    03-25-18 10:12 AM
    Honestly after reading the same threads over and over about how the Passport is so superior to the K1 bla bla bla...

I just want TCL to spend more resources/money/time simply into making sure the quality control is top of the line for K2, rather than dumping a bunch of features...

They should not go cheap on the quality of the materials used and QC, I'd take that over the latest processor any day.
    BigBadWulf, FF22 and ck2nb like this.
    03-25-18 10:15 AM
    Honestly after reading the same threads over and over about how the Passport is so superior to the K1 bla bla bla...

I just want TCL to spend more resources/money/time simply into making sure the quality control is top of the line for K2, rather than dumping a bunch of features...

They should not go cheap on the quality of the materials used and QC, I'd take that over the latest processor any day.
    Superior from a quality stand point, so deeply agree on K2

Posted via CB10
    03-25-18 10:42 AM

Posted via CB10
    I'd rather hear people whining about K2 having an "outdated" SD 600 series chipset than customers complaining about hardware faults which should have never happened if the OEM got their s*** together in the assembly line
    03-25-18 10:49 AM

Posted via CB10
    Although I had screen lift on my Passport, and have had no issues on my original-batch KEYᵒⁿᵉ.
    03-25-18 10:58 AM
    Alright, did not know about passport screen lift issue... seems kinda recurring issue for BB though!
    03-25-18 11:04 AM
    Alright, did not know about passport screen lift issue... seems kinda recurring issue for BB though!
    All devices have issues.

The Passport suffered from screen lift, network connection, and double typing.
    03-25-18 11:09 AM
    I miss my bold! Can't live in the past anymore though.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-25-18 11:18 AM
    We all have to admit that even BlackBerry itself is dumping BB10. I can't even see pictures within the BBM group. What in the world is a company not supporting their own instant messaging app? Passport is good. Keyone is good. The only reason I use Passport instead of Keyone is that Passport suits me more.

About the quality issue, Keyone does suck. Based on the fact that I have at least twenty Keyone users around me and even more Passport users around me, Keyone really sucks when it comes to the build quality. Screen separate? 5 out of 20 Keyones. Screen lift 3 out of at least 50 Passports. Battery life? Basically even cuz Passport is getting really long term use. You can not compare that to one another. Keyboard? Keyone has the best Android physical keyboard and Passport has the best physical keyboard.

I don't use Keyone since I have iPhone SE as my second device to bridge the so-called app gap and the camera performance weakness of Passport.
    If I had to carry only one device on the go, Keyone would be my top choice. Luckily, I do have the choice of carrying two devices at the same time.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-18 12:29 PM
    We all have to admit that even BlackBerry itself is dumping BB10. I can't even see pictures within the BBM group. What in the world is a company not supporting their own instant messaging app? Passport is good. Keyone is good. The only reason I use Passport instead of Keyone is that Passport suits me more.

About the quality issue, Keyone does suck. Based on the fact that I have at least twenty Keyone users around me and even more Passport users around me, Keyone really sucks when it comes to the build quality. Screen separate? 5 out of 20 Keyones. Screen lift 3 out of at least 50 Passports. Battery life? Basically even cuz Passport is getting really long term use. You can not compare that to one another. Keyboard? Keyone has the best Android physical keyboard and Passport has the best physical keyboard.

I don't use Keyone since I have iPhone SE as my second device to bridge the so-called app gap and the camera performance weakness of Passport.
    If I had to carry only one device on the go, Keyone would be my top choice. Luckily, I do have the choice of carrying two devices at the same time.

Posted via CB10
    BBM is really not their messaging app. BBM consumer has been licensed to another party, and BBM Enterprise is an entirely different animal. BBM consumer on BB10 is just a residual left over.

I also think it's a bit much to say that the KEYᵒⁿᵉ build quality sucks, when almost every review touts its solid construction.

Techradar:

"Sophisticated high-end design"

PC World:

"It’s been designed and built to last and it looks and feels like those efforts have paid off – this is the brick to its shiny-glass window-like competitors.... It’s certainly the most robust phone we’ve tested since the Moto X Force."

Digital Trends:

"Brick-like build quality"

Trusted Reviews:

"Build quality is solid, though the textured back is a smudge magnet and the KEYone easily survived an accidental encounter with a rampaging toddler with a penchant to chew or throw everything."

Tom's Guide:

"Professionals drawn to the BlackBerry name, though, are unlikely to mind the KeyOne's extra heft; it's the result of a sturdy design featuring an anodized aluminum frame, and a textured back that makes the phone easier to grip."

Wired:

"BlackBerry's software makes work super efficient. Great security features. Nice build quality."

Engadget:

"I've really got to hand to TCL and BlackBerry on this one: They made a remarkably polished smartphone unlike any other on the market. The KEYone manages to feel professional and productive, and it's proof that you don't need to wedge metal between panes of curved glass to build something that feels premium."
    Last edited by conite; 03-25-18 at 02:23 PM.
    BigBadWulf and pjh248 like this.
    03-25-18 02:06 PM
    Granted, I'm just a month into the Keyone, but had to pop my sim card back in my Passport. The Keyboard and screen are just more to my liking.

So basically, carrying my Passport and Keyone, but just use Hotspot from Passport to the Keyone when needed for a few hours a day I need for an app or two.

I guess I really didn't need to move on from my Passport yet. Not a knock on the keyone, I guess I'm just not ready to leave my Passport lol.

It might just be muscle memory as well, so I'll 'force' myself to just use the Keyone when I have a few days off from work and don't need to send a bunch of emails and messages
    03-25-18 02:39 PM
    All devices have issues.

My black passport has had all 3 issues. In fact it was the screen lift that made me consider they keyone to begin with. Go figure
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-25-18 03:07 PM
    BBM is really not their messaging app. BBM consumer has been licensed to another party, and BBM Enterprise is an entirely different animal. BBM consumer on BB10 is just a residual left over.

I also think it's a bit much to say that the KEYᵒⁿᵉ build quality sucks, when almost every review touts its solid construction.

Techradar:

PC World:

"It’s been designed and built to last and it looks and feels like those efforts have paid off – this is the brick to its shiny-glass window-like competitors.... It’s certainly the most robust phone we’ve tested since the Moto X Force."

Digital Trends:

Trusted Reviews:

"Build quality is solid, though the textured back is a smudge magnet and the KEYone easily survived an accidental encounter with a rampaging toddler with a penchant to chew or throw everything."

Tom's Guide:

"Professionals drawn to the BlackBerry name, though, are unlikely to mind the KeyOne's extra heft; it's the result of a sturdy design featuring an anodized aluminum frame, and a textured back that makes the phone easier to grip."

Wired:

"BlackBerry's software makes work super efficient. Great security features. Nice build quality."

Engadget:

"I've really got to hand to TCL and BlackBerry on this one: They made a remarkably polished smartphone unlike any other on the market. The KEYone manages to feel professional and productive, and it's proof that you don't need to wedge metal between panes of curved glass to build something that feels premium."
    Didn't know all these sources complimented the build quality.
    I would definitely not go as far to say the QC sucks on K1, but I'd like more resources spent on even stricter QC with K2. A phone with "outdated" specs isn't nearly as much of an embarrassment as one with bad build quality. I'm not even talking about screen lift which was fixed relatively quickly. But even more minor things like wobbly side buttons and spacebar...But especially, ESPECIALLY keys falling off... I would like to never see a thread on CB about such issues when K2 comes around. Granted, a PKB has more moving parts therefore more potential failure points necessitating even more attention, but in the grand scheme of things, most satisfied customers don't actually post on CB or elsewhere about their experience, while those frustrated by a hardware fault are much more likely to.

TLDR;

TCL should absolutely nail build quality in order to have the smallest defective to functional device ratio, and if it means choosing a lower tier processor to minimize cost on that end, then so be it.

People in 2018 that are still talking about the Passport don't really care that it's running a 3 year old SD801, however they do boast about its amazingly premium build quality. That says something.
    03-25-18 03:59 PM
    All devices have issues.

I had none of those issues. The K1 on the other hand: Too many issues to even count. I’m happy I switched to the iPhone X. The last iPhone I had was the first one, so this is a nice breath of fresh air. And I’m finally able to properly multitask again. It’s nice to have some of the familiar OS10 gestures back as well iOS truly has evolved quite a bit since its earlier incarnations. It’s just such a joy to finally have a smartphone that just works as it’s supposed to again. I had the K1 since May and every single update just brought on some new frustrating bug. Ya no más
    03-25-18 06:48 PM
    I had none of those issues. The K1 on the other hand: Too many issues to even count. I’m happy I switched to the iPhone X. The last iPhone I had was the first one, so this is a nice breath of fresh air. And I’m finally able to properly multitask again. It’s nice to have some of the familiar OS10 gestures back as well iOS truly has evolved quite a bit since its earlier incarnations. It’s just such a joy to finally have a smartphone that just works as it’s supposed to again. I had the K1 since May and every single update just brought on some new frustrating bug. Ya no más
    Android isn't for everyone. Some people just need simple.
    03-25-18 06:56 PM
    Android isn't for everyone. Some people just need simple.
    The oh so predictably arrogant response from your part. I’ve had Android since the very beginning, as well as Symbian OS before that. Enjoy your inferior product, guy.
    SmileDahling and elfabio80 like this.
    03-25-18 07:04 PM
    The oh so predictably arrogant response from your part. I’ve had Android since the very beginning, as well as Symbian OS before that. Enjoy your inferior product, guy.
    03-25-18 07:06 PM
    I dunno...since the passport I have used the Priv , dtek50, dtek60, KEYone and now Motion. Everytime I fire up the red passport to change it , I’ll play around with it a bit...and although I love the OS , I keep saying to myself...welcome to 2015. It’s painfully slow. The lack of updates over the past couple years almost makes in unusable in my opinion, but if it works for you...enjoy
    03-25-18 09:32 PM
    I think saying that the Passport was built better and the build quality of KEYᴼᴺᴱ sucks is too much of an exaggeration.
    Yes the KEYᴼᴺᴱ has issues like screen separation (which BBMOBILE fixed very promptly - kudos to that. BlackBerry never even acknowledged the screen lift on the Passport or Double typing on the Q10) it does have network issues and some other miscellaneous issues that happens with all phones. But it's build quality is top notch without a doubt. The Passport may have been more unique looking but I am extremely happy with the build quality of the KEYᴼᴺᴱ and as pointed out by conite that's something all Reviewers unanimously agree to.

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.3.2163
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-25-18 09:44 PM
    I never used the Passport, being on Verizon. Never really had an interest in it anyway. But this thread isn't so much about the Passport and it's quality, as it is about the KEYᵒⁿᵉ and it's purported lack there of. I had a screen separation, so yeah, there is that, but overall I'd say it's been a great phone. OP, I'm glad you're re-enjoying your Passport. I loved all my BBOS, my BB10, and now my GooBerry. Someday, G-d willing, we shall move forward from this moment, and accept what we like as our choice, without need to belittle other's so we can feel good about our own. Some may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    03-25-18 11:35 PM

Techradar:

PC World:

Digital Trends:

Trusted Reviews:

Tom's Guide:

Wired:

Engadget:

I never believe all these reviews.
    I never do.
    They all have theirs standings, be it beneficial for BlackBerry, or not.
    I believe what I see.
    Again, Keyone is a good Android device. I don't like the form factor, nor do I like its physical keyboard, but then if I have to choose one Android device, Keyone is the only way to go.
    Luckily, I don't have to.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by leeiling; 03-26-18 at 04:57 AM.
    03-26-18 12:50 AM
    All devices have issues.

Same goes for me. My black passport also suffered from screen lift.
    03-26-18 04:22 PM
    I have four phones--KEYone silver, Passport SE (which was my favorite phone), Galaxy s6 Active, and a Kyocera. I alternate between the last two when I'm working outside in the garden. I have the Passport set up in a stand up charger as an always-on email checker. I use my KEYone as the primary driver. Why? Well, I realize that my phone is really my portable computer. The GPS on my KEYone is fast and reliable; it is balky and temperamental on my Passport. The voice command on my KEYone is quite good; it is terrible on my Passport. I can track packages easily and quickly with the UPS and USPS apps; not on my Passport. I can watch baseball on my KEYone; not my Passport. I have apps for eight news outlets; none are available on the Passport. I can take a nice picture with my KEYone; no need to say more. Yes, if all I needed was something to receive texts, emails and calls, the Passport would STILL be my phone of choice. But, then, it's really the difference between a communication instrument and a much more robust tool.
    FF22 and AmritD like this.
    03-26-18 05:47 PM
    I loved my SE. great phone. however, I really like my K1 BE as well. keyboard reminds of my Q. it's been pretty good so far. I'm not a gamer so the specs work fine for me. I do like being able to use Google photos and drive. that's a nice feature.
    TCM01 likes this.
    03-26-18 06:14 PM
40 12