Was just told at a random stop to see if they had a KEYone from the young lady that Best Buy isn't carrying the device and that "only the carriers are." It was fun to see the look of shock on her face and everyone else's working in the mobile department at this glorious revelation..I just wish they would stock the damn phone in store..
    06-07-17 12:08 PM
    It's a niche device with low demand in the general market - an Best Buy definitely caters to the general market. Expecting stores to stock such a device is unrealistic. Be thankful they are carrying it at the chain level, so it can be ordered.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    06-07-17 01:23 PM
    It's a niche device with low demand in the general market - an Best Buy definitely caters to the general market. Expecting stores to stock such a device is unrealistic. Be thankful they are carrying it at the chain level, so it can be ordered.
    Exactly. The hope would be that they become more interested in carrying future devices in the store because they profit from selling the KEYone. BlackBerry Mobile has to take an incremental approach to carrier and retailer support.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    06-07-17 01:32 PM
    Haha, when I asked they sent me to the prepaid phones hanging on the shelf. I asked do they usually put phones costing over $500 hanging there, they didn't respond

Posted via CB10
    OrlandoAlex and rarsen like this.
    06-07-17 01:42 PM
    I'm at a point where if anyone in Chicago Suburbia wants to meet and let me inspect their device, I'd almost be willing to bet I'd trade my unlocked iPhone 7 128GB straight up for a KEYone.
    06-07-17 02:10 PM
    went into the Union Square NYC location and the guy said he got in two on day one and to check back every few days. I walked to the other side to ask the other bestbuy mobile worker who said "Keyone blackberry? No we don't sell that phone." which is it?
    06-07-17 09:31 PM
    went into the Union Square NYC location and the guy said he got in two on day one and to check back every few days. I walked to the other side to ask the other bestbuy mobile worker who said "Keyone blackberry? No we don't sell that phone." which is it?
    Lol. When I asked he said "blackberry keynote"??
    paperbackpiles likes this.
    06-07-17 09:55 PM
    Its ok. I called Bell to see if i can resign my corprate contract for an upgrade (started when I got the Passport) and they said NP. Go to the store and they say NO, you have to do it online but that they can start the process there. Call customer service to bith about making me go to a store for no reason and the guy says ZERO contracts are started at a store... even after I just started my process 5 mins ago. Ask to speak to a manager and he says " I really dont know what to tell you" Thanks buddy...
    rarsen and paperbackpiles like this.
    06-07-17 10:28 PM
    This just in: Most fans of X know more about X than most retailers selling X, for any given X.

This is not new. When I buy cars or watches or pretty much anything else I really care about, I really care about them more than most salespeople. Big deal.

There are exceptions. I just bought a car a couple of weeks ago from a very lovely young lady who is a true petrolhead. That is super rare in the car business, though.

Even more rare in poorly trained workers at big box stores.
    06-07-17 10:50 PM
    This just in: Most fans of X know more about X than most retailers selling X, for any given X.
    I can count on one hand the number of times in my life that a salesman has given me useful advice - and I wouldn't use up all of my fingers.

If I'm spending more than about $50 on something, I do a good bit of research on it first, and the higher the price, the more thorough the research. I buy almost everything online and I count it as a blessing that I don't have to talk to anyone in order to do so. I don't expect salesmen to know anything beyond how to fill out a sales receipt.
    06-07-17 11:22 PM
    I'm at a point where if anyone in Chicago Suburbia wants to meet and let me inspect their device, I'd almost be willing to bet I'd trade my unlocked iPhone 7 128GB straight up for a KEYone.
    That's not a very wise trade at all imo LOL
    06-07-17 11:25 PM
    That sums up the stupidity of employees but more so management who don't properly educate their staff.
    06-07-17 11:40 PM
    I hope nobody here is that stupid, even my Classic is a better device than *ANYTHING* that runs iOS. Apple has made the worst user-interface ever imo.
    06-08-17 12:46 AM
    That sums up the stupidity of employees but more so management who don't properly educate their staff.
    Back in the pre-dell, pre Amazon dark ages, when people bought technology products in stores and margins were 30%+ I was a training manager for CompUSA and we could recruit and train awesome salespeople who loved and understood technology, and who could make a decent living selling it. We used to devote 4-6 hours PER WEEK PER EMPLOYEE on training and development.

Those days are long gone. The margins are so thin that most retail electronics jobs are part time and near minimum wage, with no budget for training. We get what we pay for.

06-08-17 03:12 AM
    Agreed! I took a position for one of the big Télécom companies as a customer service rep and training was pitiful. We were always notified mid shift via our internal messaging a new handset is coming out and we'd read and study the material. However we were so busy that time to study was always tight. And I'm def not wasting my lunch time to read the materials. We never spoke to anyone about training ever.
    rarsen likes this.
    06-08-17 03:34 AM
    I hope nobody here is that stupid, even my Classic is a better device than *ANYTHING* that runs iOS. Apple has made the worst user-interface ever imo.
    Right...
    gjh1978 likes this.
    06-08-17 06:11 AM
    Even my 7 year-old says BB10 is easier to use than our iPad. She loves using BBM with her parents.

Johberry and terminatorx like this.
    06-08-17 07:34 AM
    I have gotten three emails from Best But that the KEYone was available. Each time I proceeded to buy the device only to get to the checkout to get a notice it is not available. If it is hard to buy how can I be certain if I have an issue TCL will support me?
    06-08-17 07:35 AM
    Back in the pre-dell, pre Amazon dark ages, when people bought technology products in stores and margins were 30%+ I was a training manager for CompUSA and we could recruit and train awesome salespeople who loved and understood technology, and who could make a decent living selling it. We used to devote 4-6 hours PER WEEK PER EMPLOYEE on training and development.

Those days are long gone. The margins are so thin that most retail electronics jobs are part time and near minimum wage, with no budget for training. We get what we pay for.

COMP USA. That was a great store!!!
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    06-08-17 07:56 AM
    That's true... but the relevant information is MUCH easier to get today, by doing online research. While a handful of people could still benefit from a salesperson, most people don't need them anymore - and I suspect that will continue to be more true as older generations die off and newer generations who have grown up with the Internet take over.

It's far cheaper to invest in posting a quality web page for a product, with lots of good pics and a clear, detailed description, than to educate 800 sales reps across the country - especially when there is going to be turn-over and a constant flow of new reps that now lack the training.

Retail salespeople used to add value because they were often the ONLY source of information. Since that's no longer the case, their value has diminished significantly, which is why they're being phased out. That's only a bad thing for those unable or unwilling to do their own research - a group that continues to shrink.
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-08-17 03:12 PM
    That's true... but the relevant information is MUCH easier to get today, by doing online research. While a handful of people could still benefit from a salesperson, most people don't need them anymore - and I suspect that will continue to be more true as older generations die off and newer generations who have grown up with the Internet take over.

It's far cheaper to invest in posting a quality web page for a product, with lots of good pics and a clear, detailed description, than to educate 800 sales reps across the country - especially when there is going to be turn-over and a constant flow of new reps that now lack the training.

Retail salespeople used to add value because they were often the ONLY source of information. Since that's no longer the case, their value has diminished significantly, which is why they're being phased out. That's only a bad thing for those unable or unwilling to do their own research - a group that continues to shrink.
    I was just describing the change, not judging it as good or bad. We shouldn't be surprised that the people working in Best Buy aren't professionals. Also, the number of sales reps for a national tech retailer is closer to 10,000 than 800.

But, if people were actually as good as you suggest at doing their own research and choosing the best products, why does iOS still exist?

:-P

06-08-17 07:57 PM
    I was just describing the change, not judging it as good or bad. We shouldn't be surprised that the people working in Best Buy aren't professionals. Also, the number of sales reps for a national tech retailer is closer to 10,000 than 800.

But, if people were actually as good as you suggest at doing their own research and choosing the best products, why does iOS still exist?

:-P
    Because hundreds of millions of people use it every day and like it?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-09-17 10:07 AM
    Because hundreds of millions of people use it every day and like it?
    Exactly. 100s of millions of people eat at McDonald's, or buy Beats and Bose headphones. Popular is not a measure of quality.

06-09-17 01:08 PM
    It seems to me the best place to purchase a KEYone is directly through Amazon, easy returns.
    06-09-17 01:21 PM
    It seems to me the best place to purchase a KEYone is directly through Amazon, easy returns.
    How is Best Buy's return policy compare?
    06-09-17 01:44 PM