02-02-17 01:48 PM
63 123
tools
    Negative, it's a hardware problem that was "fixed" with a software update, basically the software would ignore double letters if the input is within a certain time.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    That is strange considering my Q10 didn't suffer from the double typing issue when I first bought it, updated it to one particular software update- can't quite remember which and it started suffering from that dreaded "disease", then came the next software update and it disappeared. I have since updated it to the last one before the one released this year, or is it last year and I have never had the issue since then.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-17 10:42 PM
    I can't wait to feel it in my hands. I hope they aren't glossy. I can only imagine all the smudge it'll have after a day of use. My Q10 I think had an awesome keyboard. For those complaining about small size, I've always used the tips of my thumbs or even sometimes my thumbnails when I type on phones so it doesn't really matter how small they got for me.
    01-22-17 01:20 AM
    That is strange considering my Q10 didn't suffer from the double typing issue when I first bought it, updated it to one particular software update- can't quite remember which and it started suffering from that dreaded "disease", then came the next software update and it disappeared. I have since updated it to the last one before the one released this year, or is it last year and I have never had the issue since then.

Posted via CB10
    Not strange at all, as different software releases had differently tuned algoritms to deal with the faulty mechanical design of the keypad

Posted via CB10
    01-22-17 05:34 AM
    It's clearly the Classic/Q10 style keyboard. Not large like the Passport for obvious reasons or cheap IMHO, like the Priv.

Posted via CB10
    Please make an appointment with a optometrist ASAP.

The Mercury clearly has the PRIV style keyboard. I personally hate it.

The Classic is the best style keyboard, tried and tested based off the success of the devices before it that had the same style keyboard.
    ariandax and pooyam like this.
    01-22-17 09:20 AM

Posted via CB10
    Well I've fixed multiple Q10's with double typing by replacing the keyboard...

It could be that they had some sort of delay in the software that made double typing not happen, then did an update to remove that delay, which inadvertently made it show for those who had it, then updated it again to compensate for it like it is now. Who knows, I've never seen that happen, but it's possible.

01-22-17 09:53 AM
    Please make an appointment with a optometrist ASAP.

The Mercury clearly has the PRIV style keyboard. I personally hate it.

The Classic is the best style keyboard, tried and tested based off the success of the devices before it that had the same style keyboard.
    The keys are not flat like the Priv, they just look that way in photos because the sculpted part on top is clear like the Porsche Design keys...

ariandax likes this.
    01-22-17 09:54 AM
    The keys are not flat like the Priv, they just look that way in photos because the sculpted part on top is clear like the Porsche Design keys...

Long time since I held the priv in my hands, but the "current" keys on the mercury are way flatter than classic. The clickiness is also way less than classic's.

But once again, the pkb may change so no point discussing the current prototype version.
    01-23-17 03:14 PM
    Long time since I held the priv in my hands, but the "current" keys on the mercury are way flatter than classic. The clickiness is also way less than classic's.

But once again, the pkb may change so no point discussing the current prototype version.
    Think the hardware might be final despite what they have said. So it might be what we're getting. Hopefully it'll still be alright.

01-23-17 05:18 PM
    Think the hardware might be final despite what they have said. So it might be what we're getting. Hopefully it'll still be alright.
    They might have meant the internal HW (cpu/ram etc) when they said hw is final. At least that space bar scanner area felt too weird in hand and too crude to be a final product.
    01-23-17 09:14 PM
    I also say Q10 is best PKB I've ever used.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-17 09:46 PM
    Very exciting. It seems like a lot of work is being put into this pkb. The Priv pkb disappointment seems it will not happen again.

I can only hope now touch screen users will consider a pkb again with the widespread coverage this phone is getting.

We shall see...

Posted via CB10
    01-24-17 12:25 AM
    Hopefully they're like the Q10 / Classic keyboards. The Priv keyboard is a pain when it slides open when typing my fingers constantly hit the top bar. At least it has a touch keyboard also so it's not so bad.
    Last edited by Davidd419; 01-25-17 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Additional comments
    01-25-17 06:18 PM
    That was a software issue, a major one of the perfect OS 10. It's almost impossible the same would happen on the Mercury.
    I think it was a combination of both. Every time I replaced the keyboard on my Q10, the issue disappeared for a few months. However, I think BlackBerry could have solved it by tweaking the software to detect the issue.
    02-02-17 01:48 PM
63 123