Wow. Another reason to get excited about this phone. I'm thinking with the mentioned sensors and the DTEK60's camera software, the Mercury's camera would be awesome.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-17 05:31 PM
    So what? Priv has a great sensor, camera still trash. Yawn.
    01-27-17 06:07 PM
    I used to use a canon 5d mark iii with a battery pack, but it was way too heavy, and I'm not a professional wedding photographer. So I switched down to a rinky dink canon t2i with the nifty fifty. It's far lighter, more portable, and the bokeh on even a casual photo outclasses anything currently possible on phone cameras.

And keep in mind the t2i is an old camera no longer in production.

But it's a little unfair to compare a phone camera to a true dslr camera, even an ancient one.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    Speaking as someone who has owned a t3i, 60d and 7d there is effectively ZERO difference in image quality or post with any of them.

The differences are in autofocus capability, (slight) in metering accuracy and frame rate (e.g. how fast can they shoot in a continuous burst.) The 7d series REALLY rocks when the issue is tracking moving subjects. The 60d and 7d also have a deeper buffer (in order) if you shoot high-speed. The 7d also has MFA, which can help tweaking lenses for best performance.

In terms of image quality, however, the T3i is exactly as capable as a 7d. EXACTLY. You're paying for feature set and (especially) the ability to track and autofocus on moving subjects (think sports photography.)

Full-frame, same deal basically. The 6d is every bit the camera of the 5d3 (which I own), but the 5d3 is faster by a material amount and can track moving subjects the 6d cannot. In terms of IQ they're close enough to be indistinguishable from each other.

I agree that the "nifty fifty" is one of the best deals out there in terms of bang-for-the-buck when it comes to Canon lenses. I own one and it gets used a lot. It's inexpensive but punches WAY above its price class. It is not weather sealed but you can buy five of them for the cost of an "L" series lens that is and have money left over, so....
    Last edited by tickerguy; 01-28-17 at 12:08 PM.
    01-27-17 06:34 PM
    Finally! I can't wait to get my hands on one (hopefully released locally). The Google pixel camera is great. Really loved using it on my recent holiday.

I must admit the camera will be the deciding factor on my next phone. Currently on the BlackBerry Classic. As much as I love this phone and it's keyboard, the camera isn't the best.

Posted via CB10
    Dave Knight2 likes this.
    01-28-17 12:11 AM
    Well that's why I asked first before assuming this time, but then why don't you wish for the others to be "wrong" as well since the camera got better, maybe the other things will turn out to be better than the rumored specs as well?

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Like I already acknowledged in other threads, we have different ideas about what's best for our beloved Mercury. The more the specs "improve", imho, the more it's going to cost, and the less it's going to sell. TCL cannot fail with its first proper BlackBerry. But given that I blindly trust Geekbench (see ray689's post), I think we can safely assume we now know every spec. We just have to wait and see how big will actually be the battery (a 3000/3400 mAh would be a killer-feature for me, coupled with the 625). Again, all this for 400$ would make for an impulse purchase with no regrets at all.
    Dave Knight2 likes this.
    01-28-17 05:16 AM
    Well maybe even if the camera software isn't the best, it's always possible to get some third party software to do a better job.

That's a nice news.
    Avenzuno and Dave Knight2 like this.
    01-28-17 07:24 AM
    Go blackberry! Kick the Google in the pixels!

On an aside, camera on a phone is irrelevant to me. I just carry my canon with me. Now that is REAL bokeh effect there, none of this fake iPhone / pixel wannabe-isms.

I bet my arm and leg that you don't carry your canon camera with you all the time. and not everybody has a "canon camera", because if you do, you have a rubish camera+lens.

I own many professional cameras, I do photography/videography for a living and I don't want to carry my camera with me all the time. I take plenty of pictures with my phone.

Carrying the DSLR with you everywhere because "it's better than a phone" won't make you look any superior, if anything, it will make you look like a snob.

It's like a comparing a truck to a car. They aren't mutually exclusive to own
    ssilva7 and Dave Knight2 like this.
    01-28-17 10:23 AM
    Like I already acknowledged in other threads, we have different ideas about what's best for our beloved Mercury. The more the specs "improve", imho, the more it's going to cost, and the less it's going to sell. TCL cannot fail with its first proper BlackBerry. But given that I blindly trust Geekbench (see ray689's post), I think we can safely assume we now know every spec. We just have to wait and see how big will actually be the battery (a 3000/3400 mAh would be a killer-feature for me, coupled with the 625). Again, all this for 400$ would make for an impulse purchase with no regrets at all.
    I'm with you there! I don't really need a new phone, but if the mercury has a 3400mAh battery and a price around $400 or less (unlikely), it'd be a good impulse purchase, especially with that keyboard.

01-28-17 10:37 AM
    Oh ok, no I agree with you, I don't mind the 625 at all, but would like 4gb of ram. But thought you were saying that it might go below the 625 or something like that, lol. But yes, if it gets more expensive just to have a bigger number CPU, it won't be worth it in my opinion either. :-)

01-28-17 12:27 PM
    I bet my arm and leg that you don't carry your canon camera with you all the time. and not everybody has a "canon camera", because if you do, you have a rubish camera+lens.

I own many professional cameras, I do photography/videography for a living and I don't want to carry my camera with me all the time. I take plenty of pictures with my phone.

Carrying the DSLR with you everywhere because "it's better than a phone" won't make you look any superior, if anything, it will make you look like a snob.

To be fair, he said it would be irrelevant TO HIM. So if he likes to carry his DSLR everywhere, then more power to him. Doesn't mean you have to. I actually want to come to a point where I keep like a "spare" DSLR in my car at all times and have my main one where I bring it when I need it. For those times where I'm like "whoa, look at that, wish I had my camera with me."

Dave Knight2 likes this.
    01-28-17 12:29 PM
    Oh ok, no I agree with you, I don't mind the 625 at all, but would like 4gb of ram. But thought you were saying that it might go below the 625 or something like that, lol. But yes, if it gets more expensive just to have a bigger number CPU, it won't be worth it in my opinion either. :-)

I agre on this, I would have liked too another GB of RAM, it's the only spec I really care about aside from the battery. But given that the expensive Google Pixel, or the DTEK 60 offer 4 GBs (Samsung's 6 GBs are an useless exception), I do understand the choice to put just 3 GBs. But then I recall that that Mac OS X Snow Leopard could run more than decently with just 1 GB...
    01-28-17 01:16 PM
    Does anyone have any experience with the panasonic cm1? I've heard the hardware, despite its age, is arguably best amongst smartphones. It can actually do optical zoom.

01-28-17 01:27 PM
    To be fair, he said it would be irrelevant TO HIM. So if he likes to carry his DSLR everywhere, then more power to him. Doesn't mean you have to. I actually want to come to a point where I keep like a "spare" DSLR in my car at all times and have my main one where I bring it when I need it. For those times where I'm like "whoa, look at that, wish I had my camera with me."

Nobody carrys a DLSR with them all the time, Not A Single Person, not even hardcore enthusiasts. People that say that smartphone's camera is irrelevant because they take their DSLR all the time are snobs.

I understand that people don't give importance to the camera in their phone, or that they don't use them much, they rather enjoy their photography with DSLR, but claiming they run with an DSLR 24-7 is rubish
    01-29-17 10:51 AM

I can't say what he does and doesn't do, but I can say that kind of attitude is very snobbish, but that's his right.

Nothing wrong with caring about have a great camera on your smartphone. Especially considering the pretty dollar we pay for our smartphones, and the fact that they take the position of many of our gadgets, giving us much convenience (tablet, mp3 player, camera, calculator, watch, etc.). You can be a professional photographer and still care about the quality of the camera inside your smartphone.

I wouldn't consider myself a professional photographer, but I'm definitely a photography enthusiast with about intermediate skills. I have quite the few point and shoots, a compact system camera (Somewhat comparable to a DSLR), and I love to do mobile photography. I plan to get a DSLR soon, but I was being hard-headed at the time when I could've got one (got the compact system camera instead, lol).
    01-29-17 11:53 AM
    Does anyone have any experience with the panasonic cm1? I've heard the hardware, despite its age, is arguably best amongst smartphones. It can actually do optical zoom.

There are a few that can do optical zoom actually. The Asus Zenfone Zoom for one, and I think there's a new Kodak-branded phone.

Optical zoom may be the next must have feature in the flagship like iPhone, Galaxy, etc.
    01-29-17 12:12 PM
    Oh yes, I was interested in the new Kodak ektra, but it turns out that large lens was only just for show, no optical zoom. And at $550, I might as well wait to see reviews on the mercury, which I've read met be around $400. That is a really good price!

01-29-17 12:55 PM
    Let's hope the image processing is at least just as good but I doubt it.
    Cheers
    01-29-17 02:19 PM
    Nobody carrys a DLSR with them all the time, Not A Single Person, not even hardcore enthusiasts. People that say that smartphone's camera is irrelevant because they take their DSLR all the time are snobs.

I understand that people don't give importance to the camera in their phone, or that they don't use them much, they rather enjoy their photography with DSLR, but claiming they run with an DSLR 24-7 is rubish
    What the heck does it matter so much to you for? Lol...

Posted with my  Classic
    01-29-17 03:15 PM

Posted with my  Classic
    The same importance you gave to my post
    01-29-17 04:39 PM
    The same importance you gave to my post
    Not really lol. I was amused by you taking so seriously someone saying they bring their camera with them all the time

Posted with my  Classic
    01-29-17 05:03 PM
    There are a few that can do optical zoom actually. The Asus Zenfone Zoom for one, and I think there's a new Kodak-branded phone.

Optical zoom may be the next must have feature in the flagship like iPhone, Galaxy, etc.
    Ironic, but Kodak's digital cameras usually suck, so I won't be too excited for the kodak phone to be honest...

01-29-17 06:15 PM

Posted with my  Classic
    Well, apparently not caring too much about a phone's camera makes you a snob but judging others for what they care about doesn't? I'm confused too...

01-29-17 06:16 PM
    Well, apparently not caring too much about a phone's camera makes you a snob but judging others for what they care about doesn't? I'm confused too...

Right bro? Lol. Odd some of the things you see in these forums. A lot of people don't accept others individual needs and wants as fact if it isn't in line with theirs. Which is ironic, because it is us in the vast minority that still love BlackBerry phones.

Posted with my  Classic
    01-29-17 06:40 PM
    Finally! I can't wait to get my hands on one (hopefully released locally). The Google pixel camera is great. Really loved using it on my recent holiday.

I must admit the camera will be the deciding factor on my next phone. Currently on the BlackBerry Classic. As much as I love this phone and it's keyboard, the camera isn't the best.

Posted via CB10
    The Classic is by far my favorite form factor, even though I use the #DTEK60 as my daily driver. But the Mercury will replace the #DTEK60 ASAP. Can't wait to use the PKB full time again. It sounds like the camera will be all I hoped for.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-17 07:05 PM
    Good camera is key for the masses
    01-29-17 07:27 PM
62 123