To be fair to Thurber, he's not the boss - maybe it was coming... And then wasn't.
    I still think it possible that the Indonesian phone will have a PKB, my guess is some kind of Android/Classic lash-up. So Thurber could still be speaking truth.

He never said the *Mercury* was coming, despite frequent postings hereabouts that he did.
    10-26-16 03:12 AM
    The largest thread on mercury I guess, a thousand hits. Boy we really like this device, it should really happen.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-16 03:13 AM
    To be fair to Thurber, he's not the boss - maybe it was coming... And then wasn't.
    Changing mind a week is really the way to go for a corporate . I do think the mercury designs and so was passed to the manufacturer be it the Indonesian guys or not.
    10-26-16 04:08 AM
    Holding out on the dtek ,

I honestly feel it's every blackberry fans duty to go out and purchase this device.

This will be the king of pkb devices. They will master and perfect everything as it's the last in house phone .

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-26-16 04:21 AM
    Well, hoping I won't be forced to assimilate into the staring at a rectangle of glass crowd so soon.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Sigewif likes this.
    10-26-16 06:44 AM
    BlackBerry COO confirmed that DTEK60 is the last BlackBerry non-licenced device.
    Maybe he miss spoke, but I have faith he meant what he said. If you look at the "Mercury" and the Google pixel. There are many aspects of the Pixel that are built into the "Mercury". But we will just have to wait and see what we get.

Posted Via BlackBerry Noble OS 10.3.3
    10-26-16 07:29 AM
    Maybe he miss spoke, but I have faith he meant what he said. If you look at the "Mercury" and the Google pixel. There are many aspects of the Pixel that are built into the "Mercury". But we will just have to wait and see what we get.

Sorry didn't follow the pixel launch as such but what aspects of the pixel are built into the "Mercury"?
    10-26-16 07:47 AM
    Well Alex Thurber clearly said a pkb was coming in 6 months. So if it does not happen, I would feel betrayed too.
    I think you'll find that what he expressed was more of an expectation of what is come rather than a promise.
    10-26-16 09:42 AM
    I think you'll find that what he expressed was more of an expectation of what is come rather than a promise.
    Consumers don't want to hear expectations from the heads. Horrible horrible PR.
    Definitely coming is very wrong choice of words.
    10-26-16 09:50 AM
    Consumers don't want to hear expectations from the heads. Horrible horrible PR.
    Definitely coming is very wrong choice of words.
    Which is why BlackBerry is not just "getting out of hardware" but also getting out of marketing to consumers. Non of the US carriers wanted the DTEK50 and now none of Canadian carriers want the DTEK60.
    10-26-16 09:57 AM
    Which is why BlackBerry is not just "getting out of hardware" but also getting out of marketing to consumers. Non of the US carriers wanted the DTEK50 and now none of Canadian carriers want the DTEK60.
    BlackBerry didn't actually approach the carriers on the DTEK60.
    10-26-16 10:06 AM
    I do think the mercury designs and so was passed to the manufacturer be it the Indonesian guys or not.
    There is no logical reason to believe that.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-26-16 10:08 AM
    BlackBerry didn't actually approach the carriers on the DTEK60.
    And I think we both know why.
    10-26-16 10:08 AM
    There is no logical reason to believe that.
    Why? Could be a step to promote licensing, what are they going to do with it? Bury?
    10-26-16 11:30 AM
    what are they going to do with it? Bury?
    Most likely, yes.

The design and specs will depend on the market research performed by the licence holder in the Indonesian market.
    JeepBB and cgk like this.
    10-26-16 11:38 AM
    Why? Could be a step to promote licensing, what are they going to do with it? Bury?
    What's odd is that despite all the media reports and official statements about DTEK60 being the last BlackBerry device...it still does not explain the Geekbench specs that were released barely a week ago (unless it was a hoax) that show a BlackBerry model using the same naming convention as the DTEK series.
    10-26-16 11:54 AM
    What's odd is that despite all the media reports and official statements about DTEK60 being the last BlackBerry device...it still does not explain the Geekbench specs that were released barely a week ago (unless it was a hoax) that show a BlackBerry model using the same naming convention as the DTEK series.
    It's not a hoax. It's the Mercury prototype that John Chen said he had on his desk recently, and the one that BlackBerry is looking for a partner to manufacture, distribute, and sell it. If it is every made, it could have a completely different model name.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-26-16 12:01 PM
    Sorry didn't follow the pixel launch as such but what aspects of the pixel are built into the "Mercury"?
    Maybe I should rephrase, I mean some design aspects of the Pixel (in my opinion) are shared with the "Mercury".

For example the camera position, the antenna lines at the bottom. The dimensions of the device. I might be completely wrong, but just have a suspicion.

AmritD and zephyr613 like this.
    10-26-16 01:04 PM
    Maybe I should rephrase, I mean some design aspects of the Pixel (in my opinion) are shared with the "Mercury".

For example the camera position, the antenna lines at the bottom. The dimensions of the device. I might be completely wrong, but just have a suspicion.

Matty, will we see the merc in January? Do you have any new info?
    10-26-16 04:09 PM
    Maybe I should rephrase, I mean some design aspects of the Pixel (in my opinion) are shared with the "Mercury". For example the camera position, the antenna lines at the bottom. The dimensions of the device. I might be completely wrong, but just have a suspicion.
    Are you then assuming that the "Mercury" as represented by Habkirk's render is the same as the possibly non-funcitoning prototype that John Chen said was sitting on his desk, and that it would be the same device that might be manufactured by the currently non-existing partner who may or may not be in Indonesia?
    Matty likes this.
    10-26-16 04:26 PM
    Doesn't BB already use a 3rd party distributor or is Digital River owned by BB?
    10-26-16 05:18 PM
    The DTEKs were made by TCL for BlackBerry. BlackBerry is responsible for their sales and distribution.
    From now on BlackBerry will only partner with companies that will be responsible for sales and distribution as well as manufacturing.
    10-26-16 05:42 PM
    They just handle the ordering and shipping. They don't assume any risks.
    10-26-16 05:43 PM
    Correct.

Design, manufacturing, marketing, and sales will be done by other parties (with some guidance). BlackBerry will provide the software, and therefore the name. "Powered by BlackBerry Android".

He states a pkb device is "highly likely" to come.
    Makes sense like Google/Nexus/Fill in the blank. The best ever was the samsung nexus from what I heard but it's specs are to dated now. I know allot of folks still upset about that. I suppose it is how upset I will be when I finally have to let go of my passport se as nothing can truly replace this thing, not even like a newer BB10 phone to move onto. A sad ending on all parts. My eye will be on the priv when I am ready even if it is three years old by then. In the privs case only to bad they can't be rooted to update the roms as android races to Z. Haha.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-16 08:03 PM
    Makes sense like Google/Nexus/Fill in the blank.
    No that's different - those devices are like the DTek50 and Dtek60. Think more Kodak TVs.
    10-27-16 01:18 AM
1,190 ... 3940414243 ...