I think people will be surprised how true this is of many Android and BlackBerry users. I know it's what I'm waiting for (and the Priv wasn't it at all). I just hope we see a 4x3 screen and an overall size that is pocketable, or at least short.
    I'm hopeful it will be. Even with the PKB they're gonna aim for it being usable one handed imho at the sacrifice of screen real estate.
    08-31-16 01:13 PM
    Why is it that BlackBerry will allegedly introduce the Argon before Merc? Is there a logic to this that I am unable to see... is it a deliberate delay for financial reasons and not strategic at all?

Posted via CB10
    08-31-16 02:13 PM
    I am being tempted by the Note 7 also. Some leaks would definitely help a little.

They should go one mid range (dtek50) and one premium pkb. No need for others. By premium I mean note like specs. It would be super cool to have an exceptional front and back camera and great build quality and best SoC+RAM in pkb form. That's what I call niche .
    08-31-16 03:06 PM
    Why is it that BlackBerry will allegedly introduce the Argon before Merc? Is there a logic to this that I am unable to see... is it a deliberate delay for financial reasons and not strategic at all?
    It's been a while since BlackBerry has said anything about this, but they did indicate that the second all touch would be announced this fall and the pkb model in the spring. As for the reasoning behind it, only BlackBerry could say, and so far they haven't.

I would expect one of the key factors in how this plays out will be how the DTEK50 sales are going and the feedback BlackBerry gets from its business and government customers.
    08-31-16 06:54 PM
    I want the BlackBerry logo on the back of the phone to be the fingerprint reader

Posted via CB10
    08-31-16 07:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    I think the world has moved on, that is probably the main reason why they would introduce the "Argon" first. I, for one, am interested in the Mercury but do acknowledge that we (PKB lovers) are in the minority at this point.

The sellers are full-touch phones and it is worth BlackBerry's try to woo them properly with a high-end phone and see what happens, they have nothing to lose in this move.

I just wish they would release the two at the same time. My Q10 has served me well but I still need whatsapp beyond December 2016.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-16 11:27 PM
    I think the world has moved on, that is probably the main reason why they would introduce the "Argon" first. I, for one, am interested in the Mercury but do acknowledge that we (PKB lovers) are in the minority at this point.

The sellers are full-touch phones and it is worth BlackBerry's try to woo them properly with a high-end phone and see what happens, they have nothing to lose in this move.

I just wish they would release the two at the same time. My Q10 has served me well but I still need whatsapp beyond December 2016.

Posted via CB10
    I'm with you... waiting for pkb to run WhatsApp.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-16 11:50 PM
    Maybe BlackBerry are hoping we all buy DTEK50's so we still have access to whatsapp and eventually all forget about pkb thus giving BlackBerry a get out of jail card to never make another pkb again

Posted via CB10
    09-01-16 02:43 AM
    A vkb will never be the same as the pkb. This is why I'm waiting for the Mercury announcement. Although it'll probably be too expensive for me

Posted via CB10
    Bostil1987 likes this.
    09-01-16 03:05 AM
    Sony is probably going to announce their Xperia Compact X today. The developers at BlackBerry better give me an update about the release of a mercury phone soon :/
    09-01-16 04:21 AM
    Full time PKB android blackberry with good cameras and 4:3 screen please and make quick.

I will pay whatever and so will many of my friends, I know for sure.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-01-16 04:32 AM
    The developers at BlackBerry better give me an update about the release of a mercury phone soon :/
    I agree....I'm looking at the lg v20
    09-01-16 04:49 AM
    I agree....I'm looking at the lg v20
    Maybe this Friday when they announce their fiscal results?

Posted via CB10
    09-01-16 05:07 AM

Posted via CB10
    Actually, I think the real reason if that happens is the Argon will be another rebrand, so there's no r&d time/cost. While with the pkb device there would be some more investment and design from BB which would take more time.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    pizzawheel likes this.
    09-01-16 11:55 AM
    They should have done the r/d by now. I don't know if I were calling the shots I would manufacture ~500.000 pkbs with top specs but very top with premium build and charge ~800 $. Send one to bieber and kardashian Put a counter on shopbb so people would see how many left with bieber and kardashian instagram photos. And see what happens. If fails just let go of the hardware division and focus on the software side of things.
    09-01-16 12:06 PM
    To be honest, I can't understand why anyone is buying vkb BlackBerry (or any other similar price and specs) for 300 when specs wise much better Xiaomi redmi note 3 pro (650 snapdragon, 2/3 gb ram 16/32 gb rom, sd card, etc) cost less than 200?
    For example, same specs (just more mpix on camera) Xperia X costs about �400 when xiaomi redmi note 3 pro is about �140.
    That's why, if BlackBerry goes full vkb only, I will not buy BlackBerry phones again. As always permanent pkb like in BOLDs, Passport etc. Is the only differentiation to pay premium for device when analogues available twice or more cheaper!

Posted via CB10
    09-01-16 04:11 PM
    Actually, I think the real reason if that happens is the Argon will be another rebrand, so there's no r&d time/cost. While with the pkb device there would be some more investment and design from BB which would take more time.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Agreed... if BlackBerry listens to any of the advice then Merc may be announced on the anniversary of Priv. Both Alcatel projects minimal budget was probably funded together... the introductions staged a month or so apart just for tactical reasons. The only reason the Merc could be delayed is if the DTEK and Argon do so well in sales that no one wants to rock the boat with yet another introduction.
    09-01-16 04:16 PM
    To be honest, I can't understand why anyone is buying vkb BlackBerry (or any other similar price and specs) for 300 when specs wise much better Xiaomi redmi note 3 pro (650 snapdragon, 2/3 gb ram 16/32 gb rom, sd card, etc) cost less than 200?
    For example, same specs (just more mpix on camera) Xperia X costs about �400 when xiaomi redmi note 3 pro is about �140.
    That's why, if BlackBerry goes full vkb only, I will not buy BlackBerry phones again. As always permanent pkb like in BOLDs, Passport etc. Is the only differentiation to pay premium for device when analogues available twice or more cheaper!

Posted via CB10
    Well, if you really want to understand why someone would pick a BlackBerry Android with a virtual keyboard, read up on the BlackBerry blogs, that introduced this device. There is definitely an edge over other Android devices, at least security wise. Whether you think that is relevant or not is up to you. But the edge is there...

Posted via CB10
    Barbareren likes this.
    09-01-16 04:46 PM
    Well, if you really want to understand why someone would pick a BlackBerry Android with a virtual keyboard, read up on the BlackBerry blogs, that introduced this device. There is definitely an edge over other Android devices, at least security wise. Whether you think that is relevant or not is up to you. But the edge is there...

Posted via CB10
    just ask yourself, how many people actually really care about security.
    sending pics all over the place via watsapp, snapchat, everytime leaving home for holiday - checking-in at the foreign airport (hey everybody, I am away from home for a longer period - please feel free to get in and take all you need) etc.?

while I agree it is important, but for most people - it is not (or at least they do not think about that this way)! I look at this with very simple approach:
    1) there are two types of Android devices: with PKB and without.
    2) there is a lack of proper PKB devices - they are almost non-existent (except PRIV, which is slider...)
    3) all other VKB devices, essentially, do the same: slab of glass, same OS, same form and quite common size. If you think that actually, no one gives a damn about security (not usual users with at least, as corporate - is a bit different sort of consumers) then, the only differentiator becomes price, build quality and maybe some bonuses (water proof, gorilla 5 vs 3 etc.).

so then, you look at the market with the conventional manufacturers - Sony, Samsung, LG etc, and then you'll notice, that actually, there's a massive wave of those "chinese Apples" - Meizu, Xiaomi, One Plus, etc rising. They produce CHEAP (Cheaper more than twice for the same chipset/memory!) devices which have superb specs for the price.
    Look at the example:
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 vs. Sony Xperia X - GSMArena.com
    first device costs about �160, Sony - �325. Both unlocked, sim-free.

Now, you should ask yourself a question - is the Sony really twice better, that it is worth spending that amount of money?
    No, I do not think so.

Now, mark my words:
    i predict, that in few years time, you will forget that you used to pay $400 for the medium/higher end phones from Samsung etc. it will be the time of those cheap chinese devices. You'll see more and more of them.

And then, here comes a question which is needed to ask:
    If you are buying the same slab of glass - why would you pay more for Blackberry?

The same is with the Alcatel Idol 4 and the DTEK50 - DTEK is the same device with a bit of hardware security improvements.
    Other than that - it is exactly same device. but:
    Alcatel IDOL 4+ UK SIM-Free Smartphone with VR Goggles1 Jul 2016 -- �229.99 on Amazon.
    BlackBerry DTEK50 16 GB Android UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Carbon Grey -- �274.99
    So why would you chose the BB instead of Alcatel? Because, to be honest, no one really cares about that security thingy. at least none of usual users, who run around city with the pokemonGO.

And this is bloody snapdragon 617 device. SD650 device (much better performance, on par with PRIV) costs �150!

Just think about it!
    Without PKB BBRY does not have any leverage in the market. at all. even security. because no one cares about security, no matter how sad or stupid it is.
    09-02-16 03:26 AM
    just ask yourself, how many people actually really care about security.
    sending pics all over the place via watsapp, snapchat, everytime leaving home for holiday - checking-in at the foreign airport (hey everybody, I am away from home for a longer period - please feel free to get in and take all you need) etc.?

while I agree it is important, but for most people - it is not (or at least they do not think about that this way)! I look at this with very simple approach:
    1) there are two types of Android devices: with PKB and without.
    2) there is a lack of proper PKB devices - they are almost non-existent (except PRIV, which is slider...)
    3) all other VKB devices, essentially, do the same: slab of glass, same OS, same form and quite common size. If you think that actually, no one gives a damn about security (not usual users with at least, as corporate - is a bit different sort of consumers) then, the only differentiator becomes price, build quality and maybe some bonuses (water proof, gorilla 5 vs 3 etc.).
    This the reason why blackberry should start licencing their security software on a monthly basis like the hub+. Then in a few year's time d cheap devices cud hav bb security for those who require it, at an extra cost.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-02-16 08:17 AM
    yes! With one case - if you care about that.

oh, by the way, I have purchased that Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro for my wife. The reason? Her Q5 was dying and there is no full PKB phone on the market which she would be interested ("priv - is ugly! Classic - nah"). So she said - i do not care about those glass slabs. just get me any, as they all look same to me.

and you know what? The build quality and everything is just superb!
    09-02-16 08:47 AM
    Well, I'm a passport user and to be honest I don't care about the security, I'm not holding any state secrets in my phone.
    I love passport for just one reason, the pkb.

When I was a student I couldn't afford a blackberry so I used a a bit low priced Nokia qwerty.
    Then used all touch devices for a few years, frustrated, got back with pkb.

Only drawback of the passport is a lack of apps. There are a lot people who would love to get back with a pkb phone provided that they have access to all the apps. At least the essential social media and messaging apps.

This is why BlackBerry should give it a try, why wouldn't they try an android powered pkb device. Pkb is the trademark, signature of BlackBerry.
    Without pkb, BlackBerry doesn't make any sense to me.

Posted via CB10
    yessuz and WT44 like this.
    09-02-16 08:58 AM
    While I agree that BlackBerry = PKB, the VKB market is much larger. The group here on Crackberry does not reflect those from the mass market. Most people don't need a PKB. So it is right for BlackBerry to make all touch devices as part of their device lineup.
    fanBBRY likes this.
    09-02-16 11:09 AM
    Looks great, what maybe the price of it?

Posted via CB10
    09-02-16 12:41 PM
    Don't know if anyone mentioned it, but I wonder if it will have both a VKB and PKB.
    I'm so tired of correcting typos that I would love to go back to a PKB. However, I would not like to use it all the time because I have arthritis in my hands. That's why I had to give up my beloved Q10!!

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>Z30>< Lumia950
    09-02-16 02:40 PM
1,190 ... 910111213 ...