Performance would be similar to snapdragon 808 (Priv) but battery will last longer. It really depends on how BlackBerry optimized the nougat.

Here is a good review from a user who had Motorola X Pure (Snapdragon 808) and upgraded to Moto Z Play (Snapdragon 625) It seems like it's bit faster than his old Moto X Pure.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Moto_Z/comm...a_moto_x_pure/
    Last edited by krazyatom; 02-21-17 at 11:54 AM.
    02-21-17 11:38 AM
    The only deal breaker (not really a deal breaker) for me that I can see from the leaks is the top mounted headphone jack. I've always preferred a bottom headphone jack.
    I've never understood this and looking to get a sense as to why folks like it at the bottom. I'm still on my AT&T passport with top jack and it works for me when I put it into my suit jacket or my pants pocket. I can still take a call in comfort. However, I could only imagine that if it was a bottom jack, the phone wouldn't sit comfortably in my suit jacket or pants. The headphones would be bent and supporting the weight of the phone, no? I guess I could put it upside down, but that doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Let me know.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-21-17 04:07 PM
    It looks to me from the size comparisons (done by CB) that it will be almost as wide as a Priv. ....
    I sure hope it has double tap to wake.

Not a deal killer for the Mercury if it doesn't, but I am unlikely to buy any other brand phone that requires me to press a button to turn it on. Double tap to wake or swipe to wake is one of those seemingly simple, sly conveniences that you don't miss until it is gone. My S7 Edge didn't have either, while my lowly Priv and Passport had one or the other.
    I guess I'm really just looking for a better keyboard and better battery life.
    Or just looking for someone to talk to (or who will listen to you).
    lasoiveille likes this.
    02-21-17 04:09 PM
    I've never understood this and looking to get a sense as to why folks like it at the bottom. I'm still on my AT&T passport with top jack and it works for me when I put it into my suit jacket or my pants pocket. I can still take a call in comfort. However, I could only imagine that if it was a bottom jack, the phone wouldn't sit comfortably in my suit jacket or pants. The headphones would be bent and supporting the weight of the phone, no? I guess I could put it upside down, but that doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Let me know.
    Ya, for me it's all about running, working and riding all with earbuds in. When I look at the phone while doing these things, I like not having the cord hanging from the top since it puts more stress on the cable than if it was out the bottom imo?

I don't mind sticking the phone in my pocket upside down while not looking at it.

I guess I have no choice on the Mercury lol.
    02-21-17 04:11 PM
    Or just looking for someone to talk to (or who will listen to you).
    Hahaha! Yes, someone needs to take my mic away!
    02-21-17 04:21 PM
    To my own surprise I'm increasingly interested in this phone. I like the fact that it has a top-notch camera, according to rumors. One of the downsides of my 2.5 year-old OnePlus One is a very mediocre camera. I'm not talking about megapixels but optics and software.

As others have said, if the keyboard is not done well it's a liability rather than an asset. I'm not sure how I feel about going back to a PKB, in fact, but I do like keyboard shortcuts. On the other hand, one of my hobbies is Esperanto, which uses some specially accented letters. The Google virtual keyboard handles them (as does Swiftkey). I'm not sure how that will work on the Mercury but I assume I'll be able to bring up a virtual keyboard for those times, even if I end up covering most of the screen. It's not as though I spend most of my time typing Esperanto. I don't know if the BB virtual keyboard supports Esperanto characters but I assume I can install a different VKB. Anybody know about any of this? In any case, it would be a dealbreaker for me if there's simply no way to do it, but I kinda doubt that.

I'm not happy that I can't uninstall BBM, since I have no use for it, but it's not a dealbreaker. As for the processor, I'm happy to trade a bit of performance for efficiency and battery life.
    02-21-17 05:16 PM
    BlackBerry never had a top notch camera so if you're expecting like Samsung s7 or google pixel camera, you'll be disappointed.
    02-21-17 05:52 PM
    The BlackBerry mercury has a lot I like about it but it's the camera that will put it ahead of other devices on drag it back to the maybe pile.

I've been spoilt by the camera on the pixel and even though there was nothing wrong with the previous android BlackBerry devices I just know they could do better.

They've pretty much got the front camera covered this time around but it's the rear I'm really waiting on hearing about. I also hope they don't go crazy on the MP count. Esp for unlimited google photo uploads.

Also the pixel has RGB led notifications, I'd like to think BlackBerry mobile can do the same.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-17 08:42 PM
    The BlackBerry mercury has a lot I like about it but it's the camera that will put it ahead of other devices on drag it back to the maybe pile.

I've been spoilt by the camera on the pixel and even though there was nothing wrong with the previous android BlackBerry devices I just know they could do better.

They've pretty much got the front camera covered this time around but it's the rear I'm really waiting on hearing about. I also hope they don't go crazy on the MP count. Esp for unlimited google photo uploads.

Also the pixel has RGB led notifications, I'd like to think BlackBerry mobile can do the same.

Posted via CB10
    I thought I saw something on one of the videos about it having an rgb. Maybe I'm imagining it.
    02-21-17 09:56 PM
    My main (only?) concerns are that it's going to be too heavy/thick, and that I'm no longer used to a comparably small screen. I'm using an iPhone 7 as an interim device, and sometimes its 4.7" screen is a little to small for my needs, mainly readability issues on certain web pages etc......mercury is supposed to be 4.5 only.....we'll see......
    I'm not concerned about performance. Don't think they will release a slow & sluggish phone. It's not going to be a gaming monster though, but that's not its main purpose imho.
    02-22-17 06:12 AM
    BlackBerry never had a top notch camera so if you're expecting like Samsung s7 or google pixel camera, you'll be disappointed.
    There are some claims it is the pixel camera....

Most are very happy with the PRIV rear camera, and the DTEK60's got really great scores. (not really a BlackBerry phone)
    krazyatom and zephyr613 like this.
    02-22-17 08:12 AM
    As I said, we don't know for sure yet but pre-production rumors suggest that the Mercury's camera will break with BlackBerry's long tradition of mediocre cameras. I haven't used the S7 or Pixel so I have no basis for comparison with those but the OnePlus One camera is just adequate. I've been using it for 2.5 years. I have a cheap Lumia 640XL that blows it away in terms of photo quality.

In short, even if the Mercury's camera is just "very good" as opposed to "top notch" I'll be pleased (if I do end up getting the Mercury).

Speaker sound quality is another thing I'll be interested in. My OnePlus One is loud enough but the sound is a bit harsh on the ears. I do a fair amount of listening to podcasts and audiobooks so this is a concern for me.

This all means that I'll be watching CB for the reviews of the first adopters before I order a Mercury.
    anon(3732391) and krazyatom like this.
    02-22-17 08:22 AM
    For me personally, their 'Nougat' implementation is for me a critical factor, I'm on the Priv currently (and part of the Beta group) and what bugs me the most is that some updates really hit battery performance hard and the best CPU and chip cannot do anything against bad software on top!
    I hope we get Nougat on the Priv as well, then I'll check performance and can buy the Mercury without regrets, all the rest seems really cool about the device!
    I just hope the PKB is good (ie better than the Privs and maybe similar to the 9900 or Q10/Classic keyboards when it comes to key travel)
    02-22-17 09:11 AM
    My main (only?) concerns are that it's going to be too heavy/thick, and that I'm no longer used to a comparably small screen. I'm using an iPhone 7 as an interim device, and sometimes its 4.7" screen is a little to small for my needs, mainly readability issues on certain web pages etc......mercury is supposed to be 4.5 only.....we'll see......
    I'm not concerned about performance. Don't think they will release a slow & sluggish phone. It's not going to be a gaming monster though, but that's not its main purpose imho.
    If the screen is going to be smaller than the iPhone 7, I'm out. The 7 is the perfect sized phone, imo.
    02-22-17 09:20 AM
    No LED that would be a deal breaker, or weak speakers, after the Passport I'm demanding high quality phone, else I will stay with Passports.

Posted via CB10
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    02-22-17 09:48 AM
    I'm keeping my dtek 60 around anyway . Just to add it still wishful thinking that some hardcore bb10 people will jump ship..heck there is still legacy users out there
    Yeah, well, you still keep your yellow rubber ducky around, too...
    But , you don't have to worry about me jumping ship..... Have you actually ever really seen someone jump a ship?
    Carjackd likes this.
    02-22-17 09:55 AM
    No LED that would be a deal breaker, or weak speakers, after the Passport I'm demanding high quality phone, else I will stay with Passports.

Posted via CB10
    Hey! I get it. You're through with less then quality devices. So, out with the Passport. "else you'll stay with the passport!. I don't understand it but I get it!!
    02-22-17 10:00 AM
    As I said, we don't know for sure yet but pre-production rumors suggest that the Mercury's camera will break with BlackBerry's long tradition of mediocre cameras. I haven't used the S7 or Pixel so I have no basis for comparison with those but the OnePlus One camera is just adequate. I've been using it for 2.5 years. I have a cheap Lumia 640XL that blows it away in terms of photo quality.

In short, even if the Mercury's camera is just "very good" as opposed to "top notch" I'll be pleased (if I do end up getting the Mercury).

Speaker sound quality is another thing I'll be interested in. My OnePlus One is loud enough but the sound is a bit harsh on the ears. I do a fair amount of listening to podcasts and audiobooks so this is a concern for me.

This all means that I'll be watching CB for the reviews of the first adopters before I order a Mercury.
    Ya know, They've come a long way with the mobile device but it does seem like they just forgot about the camera.
    I've been saying for years that I can't wait for a good camera to hit the market with a nice phone app on it.
    ubizmo likes this.
    02-22-17 10:07 AM
    The Mercury actually has about the same screen area as the iPhone 7. The iPhone 7's 4.7 inch screen has a 16:9 aspect ratio while the Mercury's 4.5 inch (or maybe 4.6) inch screen is 3:2. While the Mercury screen is not as tall as the iPhone 7's (to accommodate the keyboard), it is wider and overall both provide about the same screen area.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-22-17 10:26 AM
    For me personally, their 'Nougat' implementation is for me a critical factor, I'm on the Priv currently (and part of the Beta group) and what bugs me the most is that some updates really hit battery performance hard and the best CPU and chip cannot do anything against bad software on top!
    I hope we get Nougat on the Priv as well, then I'll check performance and can buy the Mercury without regrets, all the rest seems really cool about the device!
    I just hope the PKB is good (ie better than the Privs and maybe similar to the 9900 or Q10/Classic keyboards when it comes to key travel)
    I have many androids phones and it seems like nougat is draining more battery compared to marshmellow.
    02-22-17 11:22 AM
    I have many androids phones and it seems like nougat is draining more battery compared to marshmellow.
    That may be true, but I mean with Beta Update 4/5, something along those lines, I had more than 50% left in the evening, now I have to recharge in the afternoon, even with light usage with Beta Update 10 and a lot of other people also noticed the unnaturally high battery drain!
    So its not so much about Marshmallow vs Nougat but Blackberry's Marschmallow vs Blackberry's Nougat!

My girlfriend recently got a Huawei Nova, entry-level to middle class phone with smaller battery than my Priv, but dwarfes it when it comes to either speed and batter life unfortunately

So I hope they have a well-optimized Nougat build, I'm hoping for the best
    02-22-17 11:29 AM
    If you campare the SD625 you will see that the difference to a 810 isn't that big. If course the difference to a 820 is bigger, but even 10%. The 625 is also very power efficient. Have a Moto Play with a 625 and it's fast enough without an lag. Btw, a 625 is more than 10% faster than a 808 in a Priv, which I also have and I'm satisfied with that speed as well
    02-22-17 12:18 PM
    If the screen is going to be smaller than the iPhone 7, I'm out. The 7 is the perfect sized phone, imo.
    If the rumored specs are accurate, it'll be slightly smaller, at 4.5" compared to the iPhone 7's 4.7". Since that number is only the diagonal, and the length to width ratio is rumored to be 3:2 the width would be....someone do the math. I think it might be a little wider than the iPhone 7.
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    02-22-17 01:38 PM
    Performance would be similar to snapdragon 808 (Priv) but battery will last longer. It really depends on how BlackBerry optimized the nougat.

Here is a good review from a user who had Motorola X Pure (Snapdragon 808) and upgraded to Moto Z Play (Snapdragon 625) It seems like it's bit faster than his old Moto X Pure.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Moto_Z/comm...a_moto_x_pure/
    I have a Priv and I think the performance is not great.

I guess if my Priv had much better battery life I could live with it.

I was standing outside earlier (at lunch) and had to shade my phone to see the screen. Really not good. I hope the Mercury has a brighter screen (whether LCD or AMOLED).
    02-22-17 03:24 PM
    I have a Priv and I think the performance is not great.

I guess if my Priv had much better battery life I could live with it.

I was standing outside earlier (at lunch) and had to shade my phone to see the screen. Really not good. I hope the Mercury has a brighter screen (whether LCD or AMOLED).
    Snapdragon 808 was not a great cpu imo. It's unfortunate that blackberry priv had no other choice (810 chipset overheating issues) 625 is definitely way better than 808 and it's very affordable chipset as well.
    02-22-17 03:32 PM
59 123