I think the mercury is going to be one incredible device with a great size and usability vs useless sized phones that get bigger and bigger.

But despite this, it will probably not do so well - and the reason is this:

Look at the hype surrounding the Honor Magic - it has a curved display that goes in all directions, not just the sides...Umm, ok, wow what a useful innovation?

The market is full of idiots, sorry to say loll

*facepalm

#whatisclassic
    arkenoi likes this.
    01-05-17 11:49 AM
    Does the Honor Magic have a keyboard?

That's what will drive sales to the Mercury...
    01-05-17 01:46 PM
    It depends what your definition of well is and also what the definition of well is for BlackBerry/TCL. If it sells a couple of hundred thousand units I think it will allow TCL to keep making BlackBerry devices.

I think if it hit over a million that is extremely well for this device and would open the door for different devices down the line. Maybe a priv2 or another high end all touch.
    01-05-17 01:49 PM
    Plus TCL have something to prove as they want to make major inroads into the West.

Rumor has it they are getting American Carrier support for the Mercury. This is just one example.
    01-05-17 01:49 PM
    It depends what your definition of well is and also what the definition of well is for BlackBerry/TCL. If it sells a couple of hundred thousand units I think it will allow TCL to keep making BlackBerry devices.
    If it hits a couple of hundred thousand units - it's not "will allow" the question becomes "will they want to".
    01-05-17 02:02 PM
    If TCL can do a better job at marketing than BlackBerry then maybe they will have a chance.

When BlackBerry was releasing devices with natural sound technology where the ear piece adapted to your surroundings, paratek technology for better reception, materials that looked and felt nice and also provided useful grip, phones with long battery life, and an OS that was truly productive - major innovative efforts imho, the market was focused on the most asinine "innovations" from other companies...ridiculous.

They'd rather give the nextbit Robin and Blu more positive reviews *facepalm. The mindset of the modern phone user was set up for BlackBerry to fail.

#whatisclassic
    z3user likes this.
    01-05-17 02:09 PM
    They'd rather give the nextbit Robin and Blu more positive reviews *facepalm. The mindset of the modern phone user was set up for BlackBerry to fail.
    Many reviews... take in consideration the price. You pay $70 for a phone, you have certain expectations that maybe the battery life won't be the best or maybe the camera isn't the greatest. You pay $600+ for a BlackBerry PRIV and those same reviews will have very different expectations.

BlackBerry has been failing, because they could not compete.... the DTEK60 is one of the best hardware/price offerings BlackBerry has made. But it still much more than the average North American pays for a non-carrier offered device. And there was no marketing for it.....

As for marketing and TCL... we will see what they do. But watching that press conference yesterday, they seem to be all about the TCL BRAND, not sure how much they will put into marketing another Brand.... I wouldn't be surprised if the phone is called simply called the TCL BlackBerry.
    z3user likes this.
    01-05-17 02:31 PM
    I think the mercury is going to be one incredible device with a great size and usability vs useless sized phones that get bigger and bigger.

But despite this, it will probably not do so well - and the reason is this:

Look at the hype surrounding the Honor Magic - it has a curved display that goes in all directions, not just the sides...Umm, ok, wow what a useful innovation?

*facepalm

#whatisclassic
    The curved screen thing is about the DUMBEST new trend there is. What the hell is the purpose of intentionally introducing distortion to your screen??? I will join you in the facepalming...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    01-05-17 05:31 PM
    definitely falling on deaf ears in my case... my Classics live on for a very long time to come.

Posted via -Passport -Classic / OS-10.3.++ is all you need
    Flatman likes this.
    01-06-17 07:15 AM
    Honor? that possible teamed up with face lift trend in china or asia.... with my ugly face, no selfie, don't want to be part of biomatrix... finger print and iris scan are gone far enough, face? (good point, everytime you try to get into fight with your better half or your brother, specified face is out of reach for "honor" access protection? really Honored commitment). I do like huawei's icon consistancy (black with white ring around it... could do better with 3D illusion. I was surprise the chinese icon use black/white, rather than bright color - I guess the younger generation didn't believe color huge effect your luck... the color taste is so different between asia and european/NA is striking. TCL want it flight in NA, it might have to get trained in IDEO or cambridge for its ID... off topic). As for Mercury, if it is 625, i like it, anything inferior, would be shooting itself in the foot - or feet... Can't wait to touch it. Any CB win a mercury draw coming soon?
    01-06-17 07:30 AM
    Honor? that possible teamed up with face lift trend in china or asia.... with my ugly face, no selfie, don't want to be part of biomatrix... finger print and iris scan are gone far enough, face? (good point, everytime you try to get into fight with your better half or your brother, specified face is out of reach for "honor" access protection? really Honored commitment). I do like huawei's icon consistancy (black with white ring around it... could do better with 3D illusion. I was surprise the chinese icon use black/white, rather than bright color - I guess the younger generation didn't believe color huge effect your luck... the color taste is so different between asia and european/NA is striking. TCL want it flight in NA, it might have to get trained in IDEO or cambridge for its ID... off topic). As for Mercury, if it is 625, i like it, anything inferior, would be shooting itself in the foot - or feet... Can't wait to touch it. Any CB win a mercury draw coming soon?
    you are aware about the fact that "white" for instant in Asia stands for morning and death, are you?
    Black on the other hand means luck, and any matters regarding "Luck and fortune" is highly rated in Asia, so no wonder the darker coloured themes pushes luck in that case...
    But hey I do agree with your horror theory on selfie mode... LOL

Posted via -Passport -Classic / OS-10.3.++ is all you need
    01-06-17 07:54 AM
    My concern for TCL is whether they can make reliable hardware. I am not going to buy a TCL product until they have a proven reliability track record.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-17 08:19 AM
    The Mercury looks great. Heres hoping they have a well-defined niche market they're aiming at.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-17 08:45 AM
    Mercury will not sell well. That's obvious. Blackberry has not sold well for years and years. It's dead as a brand except for a very tiny group of fans, most of whom probably post here. The best hope is that they sell enough to justify support and to justify more devices.
    arkenoi and tp2386 like this.
    01-06-17 09:27 AM
    Absolutely! But TCL knows that they have to target the Mercury to professionals and businesses, and maybe consumers like heavy Twitter and Messaging users. Even gamers (you know the emulator stuff that I always talk about already).

BlackBerry never was for the masses and never will be, and thats fine. Think of old PocketPC days. Everyone had a Sony Ericsson or Nokia device but there were enough people who bought PocketPC's. As long as it's profitable for TCL / BlackBerry I don't care what the masses will buy. As long as BlackBerries continue to exist! And yes, those devices will be more expensive than others to be profitable, it was the same with PocketPC's back then.
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    01-06-17 09:35 AM
    Professionals , businesses, heavy twitter and messaging users almost exclusively use VKB's. The potential market is largely current PKB users whether they use BB10 or BBOS devices.

Android is a must and not an option. This new phone has to be good from the get go so they need to take their time.
    01-06-17 01:09 PM
    I wouln't use a VKB if there was a great keyboard phone. Why should I? It's no fun writing on a VKB, at least if I care about grammar and typos!
    01-06-17 01:40 PM
    Yes but I say, you are either currently using a PKB or recently used one. You are also likely to be purchasing the phone for your own use. I would be shocked if the Mercury made any in roads to the broader business or consumer markets.
    01-06-17 02:58 PM
    Look at the hype surrounding the Honor Magic
    Hype around the Honor Magic will fade quickly too. It's not even being released in North America. It's a China-only device. The hype only exists now because they brought it to CES for North Americans to play with.
    01-07-17 03:40 AM
    Hype around the Honor Magic will fade quickly too. It's not even being released in North America. It's a China-only device. The hype only exists now because they brought it to CES for North Americans to play with.
    But I thought the honour line was specifically for the west loll
    01-07-17 07:29 AM
    I think TCL/Blackberry have made a huge mistake with how they "launched" the Mercury. They should have had it ready for launch at CES. I am a massive BlackBerry and Nokia fan and with Nokia possibly releasing a few models next month at MWC, I think BlackBerry may have missed their window of opportunity. I know they are targeted at different markets, but the shadow of Nokia returning to mainstream channels should be a concern. I hope I am wrong, as I really want the Mercury to succeed.
    01-09-17 07:00 AM
    seriously you think blackberry should be worried about Nokia!
    01-09-17 07:08 AM
    seriously you think blackberry should be worried about Nokia!
    Yes I do. Both are iconic brands that have lost a lot of customers along the way, for one reason or another. Both are on the comeback trail. They will be relying on past glories to help them get sales.
    01-09-17 07:15 AM
    Does the Honor Magic have a keyboard?

That's what will drive sales to the Mercury...
    I think this is true, but I think that it could drive it in the other direction as well. I'm not sure how many people want one.
    01-09-17 07:21 AM
    I think this is true, but I think that it could drive it in the other direction as well. I'm not sure how many people want one.
    No one here really knows.... the Q10, Q5, Passport, Classic and PRIV each created a lot of buzz and hype (within some circles), and each failed to create sales that support the idea there is some hidden pent up nostalgic underground just waiting for the perfect PKB phone. Then the excuses begin on how if only BlackBerry had done "X" sales would have been better.....

There is a "chance"...
    Bbnivende likes this.
    01-09-17 07:40 AM
32 12