BlackBerry to cut fewer than 100 jobs with hardware move -CEO | Reuters

===========
    The chief executive officer of BlackBerry Ltd said fewer than 100 jobs will be cut with its latest move away from hardware, given reductions already made, and that he had not decided whether to launch a device the company has already produced.

"If I decide not to go ahead with that phone, you may have seen the last BlackBerry-designed phone," John Chen told reporters at the company's Waterloo, Ontario, headquarters.
    ===========

Speaks for itself.
    09-28-16 06:33 PM
    This phone is not Blackberry designed...
    skinnymike1 and bakron1 like this.
    09-28-16 06:35 PM
    I think he means Mercury, since Dtek60 was not designed by them

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and skinnymike1 like this.
    09-28-16 08:05 PM
    Not dead. You will see DTEK60 released in next two weeks. Beyond that who knows ?

Posted via my DTEK50
    09-28-16 08:10 PM
    I think he means Mercury, since Dtek60 was not designed by them

Posted via CB10
    No he doesn't.

As of right now mercury doesn't even exist.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-28-16 08:46 PM
    If neither DTEK-60 or "Mercury" -- have hardly heard of the latter -- then what phone could Chen be talking about? Only DTEK-60 is "already produced" and on the cusp of "launch", no?

Posted via CB10
    09-28-16 09:19 PM
    If neither DTEK-60 or "Mercury" -- have hardly heard of the latter -- then what phone could Chen be talking about? Only DTEK-60 is "already produced" and on the cusp of "launch", no?

Posted via CB10
    But it is NOT a "BlackBerry designed phone".

"Chen noted one or two products are already made by partners (DTEK50 & 60) but BlackBerry has also been developing its own smartphone (Mercury)".

It's the latter that may be at risk.
    09-28-16 09:23 PM
    You guys crack my up.

Posted via DTEK50
    09-28-16 09:28 PM
    No he doesn't.

As of right now mercury doesn't even exist.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    If that's your thinking, then technically DTEK60 also doesn't exist...neither 60 or Mercury have been officially announced. However to contradict your point, both have shown up on Geekbench in recent days, and of the two, the mercury is the only one which was designed in-house.

Posted via CB10
    kjtaylor1 likes this.
    10-20-16 06:38 AM
    Does 'being designed by Blackberry' and ' being built by Blackberry' mean the same thing?

Posted via CB10
    10-20-16 08:09 AM
    - Thanks mods for editing -

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by DaDaDogg; 10-21-16 at 10:50 AM.
    10-20-16 08:24 AM
    PS: I doubt that BlackBerry has more than 100 employees working on Hardware now anyway.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-16 08:27 AM
    There he goes again! Who in their right mind would trust a CEO who is not sure of himself? He flip flops so much that you wonder whether he thinks about what his words are doing to what's left of BlackBerry's "hardware" division. He should just shut up, the only time he should mention canning the device is if the decision had been made not to go ahead with the phone.

Investor confidence, customer and potential customers will be easily turned away by his lack of conviction.

Poor leadership qualities and skills.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-16 09:46 AM
    And this is one of those threads that is a total waste of time in response to one silly post...I do enjoy some of the conversations and info in the forums, there are some really smart and helpful people here, but then we have to wade thru unfounded and out of context crap like this....Oh well, I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion...

Posted via CB10
    HaberNik likes this.
    10-20-16 10:33 AM
    How can something be DOA if it has never arrived?

Posted via CB10
    10-20-16 11:01 AM
    DBA. Dead Before Arrival?

Posted via CB10
    10-20-16 11:11 AM
    Why can't they just get rid of Chen. He clearly isn't doing any good to the brand. Poor customer relations and lack of faith in the brand. Very unsure of everything in the brand.

Posted via CB10
    Barbareren likes this.
    10-20-16 03:28 PM
    Why can't they just get rid of Chen. He clearly isn't doing any good to the brand. Poor customer relations and lack of faith in the brand. Very unsure of everything in the brand.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry doesn't want to get rid of him. He is doing precisely what he was hired to do - pivot to software. And now they have gotten rid of the dead weight of the device business.
    10-20-16 04:36 PM
    BlackBerry doesn't want to get rid of him. He is doing precisely what he was hired to do - pivot to software. And now they have gotten rid of the dead weight of the device business.
    Agreed.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-16 05:08 PM
    Exactly. BBRY will definitely be profitable a year from now. If not sooner.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-16 05:49 PM
    The article, which is really only a soundbite, was published Sept. 28; the day of the last earnings call. Shortly thereafter, Chen offered clarification to what he said.

Besides, ever wonder why Mercury has had it's own official forum, and for quite some time now? I mean, it's not like we are in the Rumored Devices section...
    10-21-16 07:04 AM
    CB psychics love to announce what they speculate will happen hoping it'll be true so they can be like "told you so!" afterward...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    10-21-16 08:30 AM
    Yeah he's a genius,even if apple hires him the ceo of the company today,he'd turn apple into a software only company very precisely. The guy's brilliant at marketing, he release a new device and a statement follows that if it didn't turn profitable we're gonna shut the hardware division. And who's gonna buy a product from a dead company even when it's not clear that for how long they're gonna support their current line of devices. I'm not saying he's bad but his problem is his half-a** mentality whenever he's goin to release a device.

The Living Legend- Babbu Maan.
    BB_PP likes this.
    10-21-16 10:52 AM
    CB psychics love to announce what they speculate will happen hoping it'll be true so they can be like "told you so!" afterward...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    I swear some of these CB psychics/diehards are part of BlackBerry's hardware downfall. Plain toxin for the brand.
    10-21-16 10:54 AM
    Yeah he's a genius,even if apple hires him the ceo of the company today,he'd turn apple into a software only company very precisely. The guy's brilliant at marketing, he release a new device and a statement follows that if it didn't turn profitable we're gonna shut the hardware division. And who's gonna buy a product from a dead company even when it's not clear that for how long they're gonna support their current line of devices. I'm not saying he's bad but his problem is his half-a** mentality whenever he's goin to release a device.

The Living Legend- Babbu Maan.
    You're stuck on thinking they are a hardware company. The moment BB10 flopped and the company went up for sale in the late summer of 2013, BlackBerry ceased to be a devices company. Chen was hired by the board to change the focus to software after no buyers were found.
    10-21-16 11:00 AM
49 12