I'm getting a new phone for Christmas because there's a great deal when I switch carriers. I want to get the Mercury, because physical keyboard is really important to me after being stuck with a glass slab for a while. I'm reading some people are saying Mercury is coming soon, and many others say spring 2017. If it doesn't come out, do I go Priv? How much longer can I expect updates on the Priv?
    11-09-16 12:40 AM
    if you want a pkb you don't have much of a choice
    11-09-16 05:23 AM
    At this point there's no indication from BlackBerry or from the regulatory approval agencies that a new device from BlackBerry or a partner is imminent.
    11-09-16 09:54 AM
    I'm getting a new phone for Christmas because there's a great deal when I switch carriers. I want to get the Mercury, because physical keyboard is really important to me after being stuck with a glass slab for a while. I'm reading some people are saying Mercury is coming soon, and many others say spring 2017. If it doesn't come out, do I go Priv? How much longer can I expect updates on the Priv?
    It's definitely not coming this December
    Expect it in 5 months from now. Expect a keyboard phone. Not particularly the Mercury

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    11-09-16 11:22 AM
    It's definitely not coming this December
    Expect it in 5 months from now. Expect a keyboard phone. Not particularly the Mercury
    To have a new device in 5 months, there would have to be a partnership in place now with BlackBerry and so far we have not seen any clear indication of that, except for the Indonesia deal for the local Indonesian market.
    11-09-16 11:34 AM
    If you believe in god, you can believe in Mercury too.
    11-09-16 11:51 AM
    Highly doubt Mercury is coming in 2016. I've bet multiple times and I'm sticking to March/April 2017 would be the time of "announcement" 😬

Tough pill to swallow for sure. Your only logical choice for a physical keyboard device at this point is the PRIV.
    11-09-16 11:56 AM
    If you are wanting something before Xmas I would shoot for the Priv. It will continue to get updates, Verizon just got MM which says a lot. If you are on a carrier that allows for an unlocked phone I would purchase from BlackBerry and you will be first in line for updates/patches.

I love the Priv, definitely going to check out the Mercury when it comes out but not 100% on making the jump.
    11-09-16 12:53 PM
    The priv will get nougat or android N according to some but nothing confirmed
    11-10-16 03:29 AM
    I doubt that the BlackBerry Mercury will be realized very soon. It might be in development if the phone even exist.
    I think that the BlackBerry Priv is a great phone and one you would choose instead if you don't have time to wait. The Priv had some problems in the beginning but those has been sorted now.
    11-10-16 06:51 AM
    I doubt that the BlackBerry Mercury will be realized very soon. It might be in development if the phone even exist.
    I think that the BlackBerry Priv is a great phone and one you would choose instead if you don't have time to wait. The Priv had some problems in the beginning but those has been sorted now.
    So now there's no extra step in needing to slide out the keyboard before you have access to it? Lol.

I'm kidding, but my point is, I think for a lot of us, such as myself, the reason we would want a pkb is not just for typing, but for all of the always-there shortcuts it provides. A keyboard that needs to be brought out first is pretty much no different than a virtual keyboard that needs to be brought up first before you can use it.

Also, the keys on the priv are flat and not as good as BB's normal keyboard offerings, and it's WAY too big and unwieldy.

So for me, the Priv is not really an option. If a pkb never comes out, when my Classic breathes its last breath I'll switch to some non-Samsung all-touch Android, whatever has decent specs (doesn't have to be top-of-the-line, I don't care to brag about specs...), a good camera, SD card slot, NFC, and good battery life...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    anon(8063781) and Biggles like this.
    11-10-16 07:38 AM
    So now there's no extra step in needing to slide out the keyboard before you have access to it? Lol.

I'm kidding, but my point is, I think for a lot of us, such as myself, the reason we would want a pkb is not just for typing, but for all of the always-there shortcuts it provides. A keyboard that needs to be brought out first is pretty much no different than a virtual keyboard that needs to be brought up first before you can use it.

<snip>
    Not true. Even with the "extra step", the physical keyboard is still ahead of the virtual one. At least, IMO...
    11-10-16 09:29 AM
    Not true. Even with the "extra step", the physical keyboard is still ahead of the virtual one. At least, IMO...
    Yah, I guess you're right, but still not as good as one that's always there as long as you don't care about having a humongous screen like I don't.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    11-10-16 09:44 AM
    Wouldn't make sense if they just launched the DTEK60. Then again it's not like anybody other than us crackberry readers actually know about these launches.
    11-10-16 10:45 AM
    You may try the Priv, but also maybe will work for you a Keyboard cover.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EL3DICS...UvbUpU12662147

I know there are some not as big as this one, but I didn't research too deep.
    11-10-16 04:21 PM
    So Chen says It's coming, but it's not going to be here by Christmas if he still hasn't got a partner to make it.
    11-10-16 07:07 PM
    Even if they had mercury basically ready to go it'd be too late for the Christmas period. Releasing soon after Christmas also makes no sense, as evident by BlackBerry's previous blunders. I'd say... July next year you might see the device.

After that... Ohh boy I wish they'd take the Priv and redo it without the keyboard. They should have done the Priv with and without the keyboard to begin with... probably a pipe dream... Ohh well...

Posted via CB10
    11-10-16 07:18 PM
    Guessing based on the [botched] Priv rollout timeline, it won't be here til 2017 at the earliest. Best case scenario is an announcement at CES 2017.
    11-10-16 07:54 PM
    Christmas launch would be a dream.
    11-10-16 07:58 PM
    I don't care. Just release it. I'm not keen on the Mercury. Give me one with high end specs like the DTEK60 (or whatever will be the high end at the time of release) and I'll be happy. If the video of JC is correct and this is their last "BlackBerry" in-house developed QWERTY phone, you can't release a mid or low-tier device. You got to go out with a BANG and release a device that your loyal followers will drool over.
    PALoeza likes this.
    11-10-16 09:21 PM
    the sooner the better!
    11-10-16 09:38 PM
    I don't care. Just release it. I'm not keen on the Mercury. Give me one with high end specs like the DTEK60 (or whatever will be the high end at the time of release) and I'll be happy. If the video of JC is correct and this is their last "BlackBerry" in-house developed QWERTY phone, you can't release a mid or low-tier device. You got to go out with a BANG and release a device that your loyal followers will drool over.
    It won't be high end. 100%
    11-10-16 11:13 PM
    Sadly chen would rather realesse a mid range device to minimize losses. I can't see any blackberry device help make the company profitable anymore.
    11-11-16 01:34 AM
    Sadly chen would rather realesse a mid range device to minimize losses. I can't see any blackberry device help make the company profitable anymore.
    A mid range device serves a bigger market.
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    11-11-16 02:29 AM
    A mid range device serves a bigger market.
    He should release one with similar specs and price to the dtek60. Similar to Q10/Z10 side by side.
    11-11-16 10:32 AM
50 12