Which one do u all use that don't use Google map? Is Wayze as nosey? I am not sure I want an "off-line" one, in event of traffic issues, but one that doesn't stay on all the time in the background pinging some server at every move I make
    01-06-20 04:45 PM
    Which one do u all use that don't use Google map? Is Wayze as nosey? I am not sure I want an "off-line" one, in event of traffic issues, but one that doesn't stay on all the time in the background pinging some server at every move I make
    Nothing comes close to Waze and Google Maps (both owned by Google).

The whole point of "constantly pinging" is to keep updated on crowd-sourced information that may prove extremely useful. Just keep a charger in the car.
    edensgardener likes this.
    01-06-20 04:47 PM
    interesting that Google owns them both
    01-07-20 01:59 PM
    osmand you can download maps. pretty good for generic use ( looking up street adres / navigation ) for specifics ( find restaurant of certain cuisine ) not that handy or fast
    01-12-20 03:14 PM
    There are a number of alternatives for different aspects of what Google Maps does, but none that do it all.

I rarely need real-time traffic data, so I use OpenStreetMap (with the OSMdroid app). whenever I need to orient myself. It can replace Google Maps for me about 80% of the time.

When I do need real-time data, I use Google Maps.

Here is some info on some of the best alternatives.

https://techconnecto.com/open-source...-alternatives/

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    01-12-20 03:55 PM
    Nokia Here Maps is fantastic, and reminds me a lot of the older BlackBerry maps. Even has a nice offline mode that works completely without an internet connection. I use it permanently in offline mode (update the map on Wi-Fi occasionally) simply because it is faster and more reliable when driving.

Plus according to DTEK it never has once accessed location in background.
    01-18-20 04:12 PM
    Blackberry map 🤭
    01-19-20 12:06 AM