... in landscape mode and wearing polarized shades. Looking through a polarized lenses makes screen black, at least on my phone. Portrait orientation is OK.
    mbirth likes this.
    05-24-17 02:07 PM
    So then by now you've figured out that the problem is your glasses and not the phone?
    05-24-17 02:26 PM
    Quite a lot of devices are this way. Some will black out on the diagonal, but others black out on the horizontal or vertical plane. It's because LCDs have a polarizer as well
    05-24-17 04:58 PM
    Apple somehow managed that the "black" spot is diagonal so you can see the display in both orientations…
    stlabrat likes this.
    05-24-17 06:37 PM
    Apple somehow managed that the "black" spot is diagonal so you can see the display in both orientations…
    Good for Apple . Lift the glasses a little maybe :-).
    05-24-17 07:39 PM
    It's this kind of attention to detail (and extensive real-world testing that leads to discovery of the problem initially) that makes leaders LEADERS - not to mention extremely profitable.
    05-24-17 08:50 PM
    That's another huge advantage of AMOLED and another reason why the "LCDs offer better visibility in the sun" story is BS as far as I'm concerned.
    mbirth likes this.
    05-25-17 05:38 AM
    It's this kind of attention to detail (and extensive real-world testing that leads to discovery of the problem initially) that makes leaders LEADERS - not to mention extremely profitable.
    I very much doubt this specific issue has led Apple to being an extremely profitable market leader. It is more their very strong marketing scheme that has bred and brainwashed people into buying extremely expensive phones almost annually. Couple that with the skills of Tim Cook to apparently bring operational costs down (most likely at the involuntarily sacrifice of their production workers) and you have got somewhat of a more realistic answer.

For example, all their supposed attention to detail never helped them prevent those amazing software bugs with their software upgrades awhile ago...

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, Mirko935 and mbirth like this.
    05-25-17 05:56 AM
    Reported as spam. 😉
    hplovecraft likes this.
    05-25-17 06:26 AM
    So did Apple forget testing when they released "antenna-gate" iphones? (g)
    Mirko935 likes this.
    05-25-17 08:29 AM
    and of course don't forget 'bend gate", both issues that are clearly worse than I can't see my screen wearing polarized glasses.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-25-17 08:59 AM
    No, that was intentional, just like "bend-gate", and characteristic of a great company that makes you go out and buy a new phone and accessories every year. Look, iPhones have stickers now! Innovative!
    FF22 likes this.
    05-25-17 09:01 AM
    No, that was intentional, just like "bend-gate", and characteristic of a great company that makes you go out and buy a new phone and accessories every year. Look, iPhones have stickers now! Innovative!
    While we're at Apple and quality, we can't not mention their incredibly bad, yet insanely expensive cables... I don't believe I know a single iPhone owner that didn't have at least one charging cable break.
    Why do Apple's proprietary cables break so often or so easily? - Quora
    05-25-17 10:21 AM
    Solution proposed in the second post, the rest of this thread has nothing to do with being outside, cameras, or sunglasses.

/Closed
    05-25-17 01:20 PM