I was just wondering if anybody had experience with those Magnetic Charging Cables? I was planning on getting a few for my KEYone when it releases.

https://www.buylor.com/collections/m...i-mobile-phone

It first caught my eye when I saw a video ad of this cable on my facebook feed. It's pretty neat!.. I was thinking of just leaving the little flat piece in the charging port indefinitely, and when i need to charge, I'll just throw the cable at it and it'll connect! Lol
    04-13-17 04:50 PM
    Been using a similar system with my Passport and I recommend it. So easy to "plug" it in to charge and lots less mileage on the charging port.

Passport. SQW100-1 OS 10.3.3.2163
    supertom likes this.
    04-13-17 05:25 PM
    04-14-17 10:15 PM
    Not exactly the same. Output is different. G-d knows how the production quality is.

Still not sold on any of them. The thought of possibly frying my phone, for a minor convenience, is keeping me from pulling the trigger.
    04-14-17 10:48 PM
    They should do a charging stand with that system as well, if they haven't already. And is it just for charging or can you use it for data transfer with your PC as well?
    04-15-17 12:30 AM
    I ordered a two pack of magnetic chargers and put a nice charging dock in my cart on Amazon in preparation of the Key1. After doing some research, I think the magnetic chargers are pretty cool as long as the dongle isn't intrusive.
    04-15-17 03:01 AM
    Not exactly the same. Output is different. G-d knows how the production quality is.

Still not sold on any of them. The thought of possibly frying my phone, for a minor convenience, is keeping me from pulling the trigger.
    Has there been cases of fried phones out there? Is the current thru the magnet strong enough to fry the phone? Most reviews I read seems to say phones charge slower w/magnetic cables but I don't mind charging slower for the convenience. (Plus isn't slower charging better for your battery bcuz it creates less heat?)
    04-15-17 12:30 PM
    I ordered a two pack of magnetic chargers and put a nice charging dock in my cart on Amazon in preparation of the Key1. After doing some research, I think the magnetic chargers are pretty cool as long as the dongle isn't intrusive.
    Which ones did u get? I am doing research too and would love to see what you decided on to help me decide..
    04-15-17 12:32 PM
    The magnetic cable is simply that, you use your own charger.

04-15-17 02:55 PM
    Has there been cases of fried phones out there? Is the current thru the magnet strong enough to fry the phone? Most reviews I read seems to say phones charge slower w/magnetic cables but I don't mind charging slower for the convenience. (Plus isn't slower charging better for your battery bcuz it creates less heat?)
    There have been instances, where the piece that plugs into the port, pulls apart when the magnetic cable is removed. The wires are then exposed, and cook the phone. Probably rare, but as good as a USB-C is, how quickly it charges, and the battery life expected, I don't think the convenience is worth the risk.
    04-15-17 03:13 PM
    There have been instances, where the piece that plugs into the port, pulls apart when the magnetic cable is removed. The wires are then exposed, and cook the phone. Probably rare, but as good as a USB-C is, how quickly it charges, and the battery life expected, I don't think the convenience is worth the risk.
    I just can't see that happening, the solid piece that plugs into the charging port is static it doesn't move and when disconnecting the magnetic cable you simply push down on the connector to separate it from the port. Of course there is always some Colossus of intellect that would forcefully hold the connector in place and then pull on the wire??? I'm happy with mine and really is so much more convenient especially in the dark where it's a 50/50 chance that you would be plugging into a USB port and get it right. I'd bet there is a lot more damage done to USB charge ports by people trying to force in the connector when it's upside down.
    There is also the less wear and tear on the USB port itself!

04-15-17 03:36 PM
    Which ones did u get? I am doing research too and would love to see what you decided on to help me decide..
    This is the one ordered. It'll arrive tomorrow, but I won't be back home until Monday night and I'll test it on my Dtek60.
    Attached Thumbnails Magnetic USB-C Charging Cables?-screenshot_20170415-173350.jpg  
    04-15-17 04:35 PM
    This is the one ordered. It'll arrive tomorrow, but I won't be back home until Monday night and I'll test it on my Dtek60.
    Let us know what you think about it once you get it. Thanks

jamesharmeling likes this.
    04-15-17 04:56 PM
    Do you have a case in your dtek60? I'm wondering if this would fit inside that opening in the incipio case.
    04-15-17 06:20 PM
    Do you have a case in your dtek60? I'm wondering if this would fit inside that opening in the incipio case.
    I have the thin case. Might need to modify it, but won't know until it comes. I'll post back.
    04-15-17 06:48 PM
    I have the thin case. Might need to modify it, but won't know until it comes. I'll post back.
    Thanks, I appreciate that. I have the dual pro, and there's a nice little gap that I think might be perfect for one of these. But who knows. Hopefully someone else has tried it and reports in this thread.
    04-15-17 06:51 PM
    This is one with many negative reviews. Not that the wires become exposed, but part of the port piece remains stuck inside, when you try to remove it.

@yamahammer this about getting them for the KEYᵒⁿᵉ, which has a USB-C, and is a reversible port.

All I'm saying is be careful y'all. I do love the concept.
    04-15-17 07:11 PM

@yamahammer this about getting them for the KEYᵒⁿᵉ, which has a USB-C, and is a reversible port.

Thanks you big bad boy, I learned something today as I didn't know that usb-c is reversible! That's great!

BigBadWulf likes this.
    04-15-17 07:31 PM
    Thanks you big bad boy, I learned something today as I didn't know that usb-c is reversible! That's great!

It's also much faster at charging and data transfer. IIRC none of those cables will handle >2.0 though. You'll have to sacrifice speed for convenience.
    04-15-17 07:44 PM
    So, the magnetic charging cables are reversable (even the standard Micro-USB type), but in order to make that happen, there is a tiny circuit board in the connector (that also runs the little LED). This circuit keeps the voltage at 5V, and that's key detail, because it means that it "breaks" fast-charging, because the way fast-charging works is that the phone and the charger negotiate a higher-voltage connection (9V or 12V for QuickCharge 2, and a number of voltages over a wider range for QC3). While this circuit will pass up to 2.1 Amps of 5V power, it will still charge a lot slower than QC-capable connections, so definitely be aware of that.

I used these for a while with my Micro-USB phone, and mostly they worked fine, but sooner or later, the glue that holds the magnets into the connector (it's the connector on the cable - there are no magnets in the piece that fits into the phone) will fail, and the magnets will fall out. Those magnets are easily lost, and of course, the cable is then worthless. So, watch for that and be ready to SuperGlue those magnets back in place.
    04-15-17 11:56 PM
    I just can't see that happening, the solid piece that plugs into the charging port is static it doesn't move and when disconnecting the magnetic cable you simply push down on the connector to separate it from the port. Of course there is always some Colossus of intellect that would forcefully hold the connector in place and then pull on the wire??? I'm happy with mine and really is so much more convenient especially in the dark where it's a 50/50 chance that you would be plugging into a USB port and get it right. I'd bet there is a lot more damage done to USB charge ports by people trying to force in the connector when it's upside down.
    There is also the less wear and tear on the USB port itself!

So you think the magnet that holds it is strong enough to pull the part that's supposed to stay inside the port out if you simply pull on it? Because my charging habits now is that I have a wireless charging stand next to my bed. I basically with one hand just toss it onto the stand at night and in the morning reach over and grab the phone. With this system, I'll have to be careful while disconnecting it?
    04-16-17 05:45 AM
    It's also much faster at charging and data transfer. IIRC none of those cables will handle >2.0 though. You'll have to sacrifice speed for convenience.
    Eh, I recharge overnight. Speed isn't an issue for me. Whether it's done charging an hour into my sleep or 4 hours into my sleep makes absolutely no difference for me. I'll take the one that generates less heat.
    04-16-17 05:47 AM
    This is one with many negative reviews. Not that the wires become exposed, but part of the port piece remains stuck inside, when you try to remove it.

All I'm saying is be careful y'all. I do love the concept.
    300+ reviews and a solid 4 stars? Not too bad, but I didn't actually read any of them. If it turns out to be a pos, it won't be the first time I've made a bad purchase.
    04-16-17 05:54 AM
    300+ reviews and a solid 4 stars? Not too bad, but I didn't actually read any of them. If it turns out to be a pos, it won't be the first time I've made a bad purchase.
    Right buying many bb10 was a bad purchase
    04-16-17 06:01 AM
    Actually it's more important to read the reviews than simply looking at the stars. A lot of people write reviews the moment they get the item. So as long as it looks nice and works the first day, it'll get a 5 star rating. Reading the reviews would let you see if there's a pattern among the negative ones. Meaning if they all complain about roughly the same thing, chances are it's true...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    04-16-17 10:41 AM
28 12