Not sure where to ask this, looking for help as I am an Android virgin and totally clueless what to look for and how.

I’ve been using my Lumia 928 for years replaced it with a used Icon the other year, and now I’m ready to jump ship to Android.
    I have an iPad, have used iPhone 7 for a few weeks and couldn’t stand it went back to my Icon - not impressed.

I’m very intrigued by the Keyone as I miss my old BB 8830, but I’m concerned about / want:
    1 - screen issues with keyone
    2 - working flawlessly on Verizon
    3 - wireless charging
    3 - call reception and clarity are a must
    4 - stereo playback, I love Pandora through speakers or Bluetooth, or even wired headset, depends on what I’m using. Would like to use my phone to also replace my ipod classic as a music player as well.
    5 - camera quality.
    6 - does not need to have keypad

I know I will miss Cortana reading and responding to text messages without prompting. I drive 50-60k miles a year. Love this feature.

I really don’t play games on my phone, that’s what the iPad is for - plus my Icon is so old and slow it can’t do much.

As far as other Android options, how do you choose. So many brands, what are the benefits for choosing Samsung vs Sony vs Blackberry etc.

TIA
    Paul
    Bbnivende likes this.
    10-12-17 09:24 PM
    1. Should be a non-issue at this point
    2. No WiFi calling or VVM. If those are necessary for you, then flawlessly it's not.
    3. Not available, but while a convenience, nothing I think is a need.
    4. Definitely plays stereo when connected to one.
    5. Not flagship level, but damn good.
    6. Then why even consider it?

Plenty of text apps offer driving mode.

People choose what offers the features that interest them, for the price they want to spend. Some like the raw Android experience, some like a manufacturers particular skin. For some it's specs or performance ratings. Screen type and res, camera, battery, blah blah blah.

It comes down to research, so you can formulate your own opinion. Do you really want other folks telling you what to buy?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-12-17 11:49 PM

Plenty of text apps offer driving mode.
    Which is your favorite? I too loved the Cortana text reading/responding feature and have yet to find a suitable replacement for Android. I had the Nokia 1020... that phone will always have a special place in my heart.

P.S. Having said that, I must say I absolutely love my KEYone. Best phone I've ever owned!
    Last edited by vara411; 10-13-17 at 07:29 AM.
    10-13-17 12:14 AM
    Which is your favorite?
    I use Verizon Message+

P.S. Having said that, I must say I absolutely love my KEYone. Best phone I've ever owned!
    Agreed!
    10-13-17 07:55 AM
    Oh boy, my message looks unwell. May I plead tiredness?
    The main reason, other than Cortana replacement and Verizon, is when I go to compare the android phones it appears they are all the same but with tweaks by the manufacturer.
    Could anyone recommend a good place to research for what I am looking for?
    When I google the android search, I always pull up the top 10, the best to buy now, etc. to me it looks like they are adds, not very good comparisons, and only the top end flagship phones, I rarely if ever see the Keyone mentioned.
    Shame a local store to me doesn’t have one so I can put hands on it.
    10-13-17 09:20 AM
    You have 2 of #3 . I will speak to the reception / clarity. It's been as good as any other device here.
    The main frustration is learning how to forget BB10's awesomeness.

Behold, my thumbs have spoken.
    10-13-17 10:46 AM
    I have added WIRELESS charging via an item called Magic Tags. There is a version for the KeyOne's usb-c plug/socket. I have it sandwiched between the case and the phone.

The main issue with it is that if you want to use a cable, you do have to unplug the card's connector. If only Wifi-sharing were better than I'd never need to attach it to computer.

I may get one of those magnetic usb adapters.

There's always something to tweak.
    10-13-17 02:14 PM
    what is the reason for requiring wireless charging ? if it is battery life consider a phone with big battery. I am currently using a KEYone black edition, I am very happy with it but I have not experienced the super long battery life every is saying it has

also I think that there are 2 types which means you might need to replace your chargers if you buy the other kind wireless charging phone.
    10-13-17 02:22 PM
    Thank you all for your replies.
    As far as WiFi calling and VVM I’m not sure if I need them, which tells me I don’t. I use to have VVM on my lumia 928 but Verizon eventually discontinued that service on that phone.
    As far as me not saying I need the keypad, I was thinking of the new B.B. Motion.
    Reception and clarity are definitely the most important aspect to me, followed by email.
    The wireless charging, ive been spoiled. With me in a car for most of the day I can just plop the phone on the built in charging location and it keeps the phone charged up.
    I guess it won’t be needed as most people are reporting that the Keyone can last quite a long time.
    I do wonder if I could somehow get ahold of a Black Edition to work on Verizon. I use a lot of spreadsheets (excel) and pdf flyers to show and talk with customers during the day.
    I probably should relegate that to my old iPad but the phone is much easier to show, tell, and then email the pdf.
    10-13-17 08:38 PM
    I am fairly certain that the Black will NOT work on Verizon but I'm willing to be told I'm wrong.

You can store tons of spreadsheets on an SD-card. Same with pdf files. I've got my Subaru manual and about 100 hike descriptions as well as recipes, etc on the sd-card.
    10-14-17 01:49 AM
    Hi Paul:

The things you will miss most about your Lumia is the battery life and the interface. I can't speak to Verizon or Pandora which aren't available in Canada but all the other things will be fine - for 12 hours of battery life

There is a new Blackberry just released that does not have the keyboard and is said to have a much more robust battery. Check the Blackberry website. You might want to look at the Nokia 6 or 8 also.

regards,
    David
    10-14-17 07:41 AM
    I guess it won’t be needed as most people are reporting that the Keyone can last quite a long time.
    It's the first phone in ten years I've never needed to charge prior to bedtime, and I'm regularly going more than twenty hours.

I do wonder if I could somehow get ahold of a Black Edition to work on Verizon. I use a lot of spreadsheets (excel) and pdf flyers to show and talk with customers during the day.
    Stick with the CDMA. Why even risk reception issues? Not sure what the black would offer other than a different look anyway, unless you're thinking of the one exclusive to the Indian market.

for 12 hours of battery life
    Other than using the KEYᵒⁿᵉ continuously for 12hrs, I don't know how you could kill it in that time frame.

Could anyone recommend a good place to research for what I am looking for?
    Start with the Verizon site. Narrow your choices using their tools to find which phones are compatible with you. Then you can search for further information from there if necessary. I'll offer this as personal experience...

I gave up the need for a PKB when the Z10 arrived, after being completely committed to a PKB going back to my beloved 8100, the last being the utterly fabulous 9930. I didn't miss having a PKB. Used a Q-10 for a couple days, and literally hated it! I progressed from the Z10 to a Z30, finally abandoning BB10 late November of last year for the Moto Z Force. I had grown weary of the effort involved making BB10 work for me, and wanted something truly top-notch. The MoFo is an incredible phone. Spectacular screen, camera, SOC, battery, mods. It was a perfect fit... until...
    I was blessed with the opportunity, and went to the KEYᵒⁿᵉ launch event in Barcelona (yeah, yeah, I'm a paid shill, LoL, whatever). I really liked what I saw, and how it felt, but anticipated only using the phone on weekends, if at all. Then I got it. It took me a week of frustration to get acclimated to the PKB again. Slowly I shifted from "I've got to get this down, and give it ample chance" to "I can't put this down", and I still haven't. If you have the slightest interest in a PKB, use your phone primarily as a communication tool, and aren't a gamer, I suspect you'll find yourself in my place.

When I google the android search, I always pull up the top 10, the best to buy now, etc. to me it looks like they are adds, not very good comparisons, and only the top end flagship phones, I rarely if ever see the Keyone mentioned.
    It's a niche device, so I doubt you will. It sells to those who know they want a PKB, cause while a PC with only VKB has no market, the market has decided a phone doesn't need one, and technically that's true. I'm a case study in that regard.

Shame a local store to me doesn’t have one so I can put hands on it.
    You could look at one at an at&t store, provided one in your area has a display. Not exactly a great way to experience it, strapped to table. Shame you didn't make it to a meetup, but I imagine if you called out to the community, someone in your area would be more than willing to meet you and show theirs off.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-14-17 09:45 AM
    you should check out nokia latest offer. Heard some good things about them. It might be a bit closer to what you are used to. If you need security, BB is the one and no other.. (motion might be your best bet... but if I were you, i'll get keyone - capacitive key/mouse are cool and useful - since you are from 8xxx. you possibly haven't experience the capacitive key as yet... short cut and key stroke are something you might like..). if you go get BB, VZ is in the process to change from CDMA to LTE, just be aware of that... (since your daily work involved with driving, reception is key for connection. if you wouldn't mind 3G, instead of LTE, possibly no problem).
    10-14-17 10:06 AM
    Other than using the KEYᵒⁿᵉ continuously for 12hrs, I don't know how you could kill it in that time frame.
    I went to bed with a 98% charge and when I woke up 8 hours later it was at 34%.

I am seeing about 50/50 split between people satisfied with the battery life and those dissatisfied which makes me wonder if there is a quality control issue with the battery supplier assuming TCL doesn't manufacture it directly.
    10-14-17 01:48 PM
    I went to bed with a 98% charge and when I woke up 8 hours later it was at 34%.

I am seeing about 50/50 split between people satisfied with the battery life and those dissatisfied which makes me wonder if there is a quality control issue with the battery supplier assuming TCL doesn't manufacture it directly.
    That's not the battery, that's an app, and shouldn't be too difficult to figure out. I don't know where you are seeing this 50/50 split. The phone has certainly had it's share of production issues, but the battery isn't one of them.
    10-14-17 02:24 PM
    That's not the battery, that's an app, and shouldn't be too difficult to figure out. I don't know where you are seeing this 50/50 split. The phone has certainly had it's share of production issues, but the battery isn't one of them.
    I don't see this split either. Most everyone has amazing battery life. Anyone who doesn't likely has a bad install or as you said an app that is going rogue.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    10-14-17 02:29 PM
    Well, well, we’ll... I went buy my local BestBuy this afternoon. They did not have a Keyone out on the floor for display. I was lucky enough to talk with Alexus and she found a Keyone in lockup that they had. It was already in an open box, and had power. No SIM card so I had limited play time with it, but wow it was super cool!
    I mentioned how I would miss Cortana and how she reads and responds to text without touching the phone. Alexus mentioned Google Assistant and how that will do what I want.
    I’m sold on the pkb, now just need to wait for some bonus $$ to get it.
    BigBadWulf and vara411 like this.
    10-14-17 06:20 PM