06-03-17 02:58 PM
60 123
tools
    Hear me out on this one before you go ranting in the comments about how it is easy to say when you already have one....

Let's start off by saying it would be AWESOME if there was stock for every single person who wanted one to get it on launch day, but that didn't happen. I've been thinking a lot about it, and after receiving my unit I have some thoughts on why the levels could be low.

First up, quality assurance. The device is built extremely solid. Like, corners all meet perfectly, the back is snug, no issues. When you are mass producing, that is really hard. I've had iPhone's with gaps in bezels, my Note5 had discoloration on it, and many other things over the years. This phone looks and feels great, and I believe part of it is due to the care put into the mfg process.

Second, the unknown. This is a risk for TCL. It doesn't make it acceptable for the levels to be low, but you've got to understand that no company would want to sit on millions of units because in the end people didn't want to buy them.

Third, sometimes the delays are out of the company's control. Look at Apple, it STILL can't stock the AirPods, and they've been out for months. Google can't keep the Pixel in stock either.

I'd rather they take a more conservative approach and learn from the experience for their next device. That is how smart company's operate. We don't know what is going on behind the scenes, but getting angry about it doesn't help anyone. It's easy to get upset and be mad that there isn't a KEYone that you can order and have at your doorstep RIGHT NOW, but there could be a good reason for it. Don't worry, in a month or two the phone is STILL going to be a great device and you'll love it.
    06-02-17 06:51 AM
    I am in the category of which you speak. I think that TCL and BlackBerry have been rightly cautious given the less than stellar reception of previous BlackBerry devices. That is understandable.

For my own part, I have been off contract for some months waiting for the right device. A few weeks more is not problematic.

I have a Passport SE, which I like, and while completely functional, I look forward to the KEYone which from my perspective looks like the first 'no compromise' device I will have.

I think both TCL and BlackBerry have a winner and we will see greater NA availability soon.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-17 07:19 AM
    BlackBerry diehards will wait it out, the rest of the phone buying public will move on. I imagine I will never see another KEYone in my life (except if I make it to the local CB meetup.) I think TCL's only hope now is enterprise sales, and maybe that was their intent all along.

This "launch" will be used as further evidence (if any is needed) that "People don't want physical keyboards on their phones."
    06-02-17 07:25 AM

This "launch" will be used as further evidence (if any is needed) that "People don't want physical keyboards on their phones."
    It's interesting that you say that, except people are trying to buy the phone that the initial batch of sold out. That would indicate that people DO want the keyboard, right?
    Mike-Mike and skinnymike1 like this.
    06-02-17 07:27 AM
    That is a good point, I should have said "...the sales numbers that will result from this "launch"..." will be used as evidence.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    06-02-17 07:37 AM
    But TCL likely won't release those numbers, so we will never know. Also, if there was more stock they would have sold more. But had there been too much stock, they may not have sold it all.

The market is nearly impossible to predict.
    06-02-17 07:48 AM
    Time will come that stock and demand are in balance. People that will be on the market for a PKB device then, probably will never know about the bad launch. What do they care? They will be happy that there is a great PKB android blackberry available.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    06-02-17 07:57 AM
    BlackBerry diehards will wait it out, the rest of the phone buying public will move on. I imagine I will never see another KEYone in my life (except if I make it to the local CB meetup.) I think TCL's only hope now is enterprise sales, and maybe that was their intent all along.

I disagree. I have never seen another passport in the wild, and sort of expected that, but I think the keyone is a different story...
    06-02-17 08:02 AM
    Time will come that stock and demand are in balance. People that will be on the market for a PKB device then, probably will never know about the bad launch. What do they care? They will be happy that there is a great PKB android blackberry available.

Posted via CB10
    I agree. Most people think of things selling out as a regular thing. It happens with everything. Clothes, cars, electronics, even bread and water. There is no guarantee that things you want will be available when you are ready to buy them.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    06-02-17 08:06 AM
    The market is nearly impossible to predict.
    I think we can safely predict that no matter how little progress will have been made over the previous generation or how ridiculously priced it will be, tens of millions of people will buy the next iPhone.

The KEYone is a refreshing change.
    Last edited by danfrancisco; 06-02-17 at 08:29 AM.
    06-02-17 08:06 AM
    Yes, that will happen with the next iPhone. But many people will have to wait weeks to get it, because Apple also has trouble with stock levels. Unless you wake up at 3am to place your order, you are likely waiting to get your new phone.
    06-02-17 08:09 AM
    The launch is only a small part of the life of a product. The KeyOne is a great product for its target audience. Marketing during the whole life of the product is much more important.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-17 08:11 AM
    They could be slightly, no straight out much more open and communicative about their stuff i.o. announcing products and launch dates that are simply not what people got to expect based on their BB/TCL marketing. As for me: no pity for this failed launch.
    (Still: if ever, you never know, they issue more than 3 units per month and one is in my reach, I will buy )
    OrlandoAlex likes this.
    06-02-17 08:13 AM
    Apple customers are very brand centric (for the most part) and many are unwilling to give something new (a BlackBerry with a keyboard) a try. If Apple came out with a PKB it would probably be a different story.
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 06-02-17 at 10:00 PM. Reason: bahhhhhd
    06-02-17 08:17 AM
    Why not put in an order with Amazon now and wait? I am not saying they did an amazing job and things were perfect, but just giving the other side for people to look at as well.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    06-02-17 08:19 AM
    If Apple says you need a PKB on your iPhone, the world believes it.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 06-02-17 at 10:00 PM. Reason: bahhhhhd
    skinnymike1 and Ad Bosch like this.
    06-02-17 08:20 AM
    Hear me out on this one before you go ranting in the comments about how it is easy to say when you already have one....

Let's start off by saying it would be AWESOME if there was stock for every single person who wanted one to get it on launch day, but that didn't happen. I've been thinking a lot about it, and after receiving my unit I have some thoughts on why the levels could be low.

First up, quality assurance. The device is built extremely solid. Like, corners all meet perfectly, the back is snug, no issues. When you are mass producing, that is really hard. I've had iPhone's with gaps in bezels, my Note5 had discoloration on it, and many other things over the years. This phone looks and feels great, and I believe part of it is due to the care put into the mfg process.

Second, the unknown. This is a risk for TCL. It doesn't make it acceptable for the levels to be low, but you've got to understand that no company would want to sit on millions of units because in the end people didn't want to buy them.

Third, sometimes the delays are out of the company's control. Look at Apple, it STILL can't stock the AirPods, and they've been out for months. Google can't keep the Pixel in stock either.

I'd rather they take a more conservative approach and learn from the experience for their next device. That is how smart company's operate. We don't know what is going on behind the scenes, but getting angry about it doesn't help anyone. It's easy to get upset and be mad that there isn't a KEYone that you can order and have at your doorstep RIGHT NOW, but there could be a good reason for it. Don't worry, in a month or two the phone is STILL going to be a great device and you'll love it.
    i think your theory is way too nice with TCL... i mean, i have no doubts part of the reasons could be what you say here but not entirely... for instance, how do you put in that equation the CDMA statement saying that it would be available the very next day when every evidence shows that not a single unit has been sold anywhere? (to my knowledge, and i was searching online just to see if i could find one)... TCL maybe made a couple of impopular decisions for a good economic/business orented reason, but also, did lie or mislead people with full knowledge... i am not going to give them a free pass just because they are producing our beloved bb devices...

but who knows, maybe something good will happen after all this... or not... either case, sun will rise tomorrow...
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    06-02-17 08:20 AM
    I (pre-) ordered a KeyOne at a Dutch retailler who says they will deliver the end of next week. I think they will. Sit back and relax

Posted via CB10
    06-02-17 08:23 AM
    First of all you can not use Apple or Samsung as a reference to how TCL and Blackberry should launch a product because they are not even in the same league. The iPhone and Samsung Galaxy line has already sold itself and folks will wait to get the newest one because they know that it will be better then the previous ones they already have.

Blackberry does not have that luxury folks, they are trying to win customers back and having folks wait on such a niche product is not the way to woo them back. This launch needed to be pulled off without any glitches and they should have had enough product to satisfy the folks wanting to buy one.

With the positive reviews the K1 received at the WMC, that should have been a wake up call to TCL to gear up production, which makes me wonder what the TCL K1 product launch group has been doing for the last two months?
    06-02-17 08:25 AM
    First of all you can not use Apple or Samsung as a reference to how TCL and Blackberry should launch a product because they are not even in the same league. The iPhone and Samsung Galaxy line has already sold itself and folks will wait to get the newest one because they know that it will be better then the previous ones they already have.

Blackberry does not have that luxury folks, they are trying to win customers back and having folks wait on such a niche product is not the way to woo them back. This launch needed to be pulled off without any glitches and they should have had enough product to satisfy the folks wanting to buy one.

With the positive reviews the K1 received at the WMC, that should have been a wake up call to TCL to gear up production, which makes me wonder what the TCL K1 product launch group has been doing for the last two months?
    I agree with every single word.
    Mike-Mike and skinnymike1 like this.
    06-02-17 08:31 AM

Any of these could be viable reasons for the lack of phones when the Blackberry faithful are attempting to order. My largest 'gripe' is the crickets when it comes to simple communication. If you let me know what is going on, I can be a patient person... When there's silence(a couple of tweets is not an appropriate response to what has been going on), it makes it very hard for me to maintain a positive attitude. That said, I have an order in with Amazon, and am still waiting patiently at this point.
    06-02-17 08:32 AM
    Your post is very good and sensible. I am in no rush for the phone. I can wait. With that said this launch has been poorly handled. The whole Amazon and Best Buy out of stock at 6:00am on the launch day is unacceptable. This launch should be the next chapter in the Losing the Signal book. My only criticism is how poorly the launch was handled.
    bakron1 likes this.
    06-02-17 08:38 AM
    Agree that caution is probably a good thing given past experience. However, they could have mitigated the unknown to some extent by allowing people to pre-order on BlackBerry Mobile and Amazon. It's not quite the same thing, but that's what Radiohead do with their 'special edition' boxed sets - you order (and pay for it) months in advance, and then they know how many to manufacture.

Maybe not preorder MONTHS in advance, but it depends upon manufacturing time - and maybe that is something they need to address. If it takes one week to make a batch of KeyOnes, then they should be able to re-stock within a week (plus distribution time). If it takes a MONTH to make a batch then that is a problem, and they need to re-work their supply chain and manufacturing process. It is OK to be caught out by unexpected demand, as long as you can respond rapidly, and are open and honest about this. People will wait a week or two if you tell them "We're sold out but we're making more and it will be available in 2 weeks. Preorder now to reserve your one from this next batch."
    megafan2000 likes this.
    06-02-17 08:50 AM
    Your post is very good and sensible. I am in no rush for the phone. I can wait. With that said this launch has been poorly handled. The whole Amazon and Best Buy out of stock at 6:00am on the launch day is unacceptable. This launch should be the next chapter in the Losing the Signal book. My only criticism is how poorly the launch was handled.
    Amen, by the way, I was up at 4:00 AM EST on launch day and Amazon and Best Buy where already sold out. What really bothers me is how they where allowed to sell the K1 on the evening of the 30th when the official release date was the 31st?? Should have never been allowed.
    Mike-Mike likes this.
    06-02-17 10:01 AM
    Neah. After they've delayed the phone and used inventory as an excuse, it just shows once again that BB is a disaster and an unreliable company. It doesn't matter that TCL is the manufacturer, they still advertise as a Blackberry. As others have said, this could be another chapter in Losing the signal
    06-02-17 12:18 PM
60 123