There's also another way of looking at it.

Three years of updates every 3 months / 90 days is only 12 patches. Except for the three year time span, BBMo has already exceeded 12 patches and provided their one letter upgrade for the KEYone. Obviously that doesn't fit the definition of what the Enterprise program is "supposed to" achieve...but then again, it's also not BBMo's fault this program came about after the KEYone was released. Perhaps Google granted them some leeway and/or some kind of an exemption...
    Was it not advertised that the K1 was Enterprise Approved on BlackBerry marketing sites? If so, they knew terms and conditions. They are not a Mickey Mouse Ma & Pa operation, are they?
    05-17-19 07:13 PM
    But 3 months is arbitrary. I f I just get an update and a bad vulnerability comes along right after, should I really have to wait 3 more months to get it patched when other phones get it sooner?
    3 years is not arbitrary. Android Enterprise Recommended mandates updates every 90 days.
    05-17-19 07:26 PM
    3 years is not arbitrary. Android Enterprise Recommended mandates updates every 90 days.
    Ok. But did we even get two years? I have the cdma for Verizon.
    05-17-19 07:33 PM
    Ok. But did we even get two years? I have the cdma for Verizon.
    Patches, pretty much.
    05-17-19 07:37 PM
    Was it not advertised that the K1 was Enterprise Approved on BlackBerry marketing sites? If so, they knew terms and conditions. They are not a Mickey Mouse Ma & Pa operation, are they?
    I'm just trying to look at this objectively.

Ultimately it all depends on the purpose of the 3m/3yr timeframe established by Google. If their primary goal is to establish a minimum number of security patches and letter upgrades within a three year time period, then the KEYone has already achieved that objective. Under one possible interpretation - BBMo achieved it one year early by providing at least 12 patches and one letter upgrade in just two years.

I definitely agree it is misleading, and that many customers are liable to be upset if it turns out three years of updates won't necessarily be provided. Having more than one possible interpretation of the rules, however, would actually work in the favour of all parties by allowing some flexibility in how the program is delivered.
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    05-17-19 09:09 PM
    True, we shall wait and see.
    I'm just trying to look at this objectively.

Ultimately it all depends on the purpose of the 3m/3yr timeframe established by Google. If their primary goal is to establish a minimum number of security patches and letter upgrades within a three year time period, then the KEYone has already achieved that objective. Under one possible interpretation - BBMo achieved it one year early by providing at least 12 patches and one letter upgrade in just two years.

I definitely agree it is misleading, and that many customers are liable to be upset if it turns out three years of updates won't necessarily be provided. Having more than one possible interpretation of the rules, however, would actually work in the favour of all parties by allowing some flexibility in how the program is delivered.
    05-17-19 09:12 PM
    Is this verified? KEYone will get another year of updates?
    05-18-19 05:13 PM
    Is this verified? KEYone will get another year of updates?
    Knowing the parties involved the only way to make sure is to come back in 12 months and see what updates, if any, have been released.
    Makaveli@Beta likes this.
    05-18-19 05:20 PM
    Last weeks we, the BlackBerryBase Forum in Germany, made an official request to TCL in Europe to answer the following questions:

Officially the KEYone in silver was released in April 2017 and sold in May. Do the monthly security updates end after two years or will the KEYone in silver get further updates (monthly or quarterly) for another year according to the Android Recommended Program?

The KEYone Black Edition was released in October 2017 and sold in November. Does the monthly security updates for this model end after two years or will the KEYone BE continue to receive the monthly updates until October2019? If so, will the updates still be available monthly or quarterly for one year after that according to the Android Recommended Program?

The same questions apply to the KEYone Bronze Edition, which was released in spring 2018.

Let's wait and see if we get an answer in time and if it satisfies us.
    05-19-19 12:53 PM
    Last weeks we, the BlackBerryBase Forum in Germany, made an official request to TCL in Europe to answer the following questions:

Officially the KEYone in silver was released in April 2017 and sold in May. Do the monthly security updates end after two years or will the KEYone in silver get further updates (monthly or quarterly) for another year according to the Android Recommended Program?

The KEYone Black Edition was released in October 2017 and sold in November. Does the monthly security updates for this model end after two years or will the KEYone BE continue to receive the monthly updates until October2019? If so, will the updates still be available monthly or quarterly for one year after that according to the Android Recommended Program?

The same questions apply to the KEYone Bronze Edition, which was released in spring 2018.

Let's wait and see if we get an answer in time and if it satisfies us.
    Pretty certain colours are irrelevant. The question is really 2 years or 3 years from initial model release.

My thought is if it was going to be 3 years, they would have said something already.

If it is 2 years, you'll never hear a peep.

I won't hold my breath, but the only hope is that they listen to public pressure and agree to quarterly updates during the 3rd year.
    05-19-19 01:22 PM
    The long-standing, industry-wide standard is that support for a model starts on the release of that model, with minor variations of that model (colors, storage options, etc.) being included on that same timeline regardless of when the variations were released. So, every K1, no matter which submodel or when it was released, is tied to the support of the original K1 model, released in April 2017.

I'm not aware of any company extending support due to the release of a submodel, ever, but even if an example could be named, it would be an exception to the rule.
    John Albert likes this.
    05-19-19 01:48 PM
    The long-standing, industry-wide standard is that support for a model starts on the release of that model, with minor variations of that model (colors, storage options, etc.) being included on that same timeline regardless of when the variations were released. So, every K1, no matter which submodel or when it was released, is tied to the support of the original K1 model, released in April 2017.

I'm not aware of any company extending support due to the release of a submodel, ever, but even if an example could be named, it would be an exception to the rule.
    So you're saying there IS a possibility... hope springs eternal....
    05-19-19 02:02 PM
    So you're saying there IS a possibility... hope springs eternal....
    Eternal optimist!
    05-19-19 02:05 PM

I agree with this.

I think in some people's minds, the Black edition bears merit because it is more than color change. It's hardware is different - 4 GB RAM + 64 GB onboard storage.

Because of the hardware difference, many people view their 4/64 devices as a "newer model" than the 3/32 devices.

Having some type of clarity would be helpful.
    05-19-19 10:09 PM
    I agree with this.

I think in some people's minds, the Black edition bears merit because it is more than color change. It's hardware is different - 4 GB RAM + 64 GB onboard storage.

Because of the hardware difference, many people view their 4/64 devices as a "newer model" than the 3/32 devices.
    And I'm saying that, industry-wide, it's not the norm to take that view. For example, an iPhone 8, regardless of color or storage size (even when larger sizes aren't available at launch) are still considered to be iPhone 8s and an iPhone 8 that was manufactured 9 months after launch and sold 11 months after launch is still given support based on the launch date. The same would be true of a Galaxy S. I own an LG V30+, which wasn't released until 4 months after the V30 (the difference is additional storage), and it is considered to be and supported on the same schedule as any other V30.

Note that a model variation in a different color or with different storage doesn't have a different model number and doesn't have to be resubmitted to the FCC for testing and approval. That's because the key parts don't change: the SoC, the modem, the antenna, and the mainboard design.
    John Albert likes this.
    05-20-19 12:21 PM
    And I'm saying that, industry-wide, it's not the norm to take that view. For example, an iPhone 8, regardless of color or storage size (even when larger sizes aren't available at launch) are still considered to be iPhone 8s and an iPhone 8 that was manufactured 9 months after launch and sold 11 months after launch is still given support based on the launch date. The same would be true of a Galaxy S. I own an LG V30+, which wasn't released until 4 months after the V30 (the difference is additional storage), and it is considered to be and supported on the same schedule as any other V30.

Note that a model variation in a different color or with different storage doesn't have a different model number and doesn't have to be resubmitted to the FCC for testing and approval. That's because the key parts don't change: the SoC, the modem, the antenna, and the mainboard design.
    Do is no depreciation time for iPhones except for maybe the battery. Currently supported are all 64-bit iPhones right the way back 2 iPhone 5s previous models for 32-bit and were retired last year.
    The only difference is that the S5 has a different main chip which may have discontinued support earlier than other iPhone 64-bit devices
    Last edited by nevilleadaniels; 05-21-19 at 10:23 AM.
    05-20-19 12:58 PM
    TCL got the certification, and the KEYᵒⁿᵉ and Motion are its only devices.
    Is that so? Who makes the key2 series?
    05-20-19 02:41 PM
    Is that so? Who makes the key2 series?
    You responded to a post from Feb 2018. The KEY² didn't exist yet.
    05-20-19 02:43 PM
    to satisfy google does it hafta be everywhere ?? maybe they'll qualify if they do it for American Samoa ...
    05-20-19 03:56 PM
    But 3 months is arbitrary. I f I just get an update and a bad vulnerability comes along right after, should I really have to wait 3 more months to get it patched when other phones get it sooner?
    It's not arbitrary. It's literally the requirements if the Enterprise Recommended program. It doesn't prelude an emergency update for a major zero day vulnerability, but it's more than good enough for most enterprise policies.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    05-20-19 05:56 PM
    It's not arbitrary. It's literally the requirements if the Enterprise Recommended program. It doesn't prelude an emergency update for a major zero day vulnerability, but it's more than good enough for most enterprise policies.

But Enterprise is an outside entity. They don't dictate updates. Pixel gets them every month. I don't see why I have to wait 6 months when there are known vulnerabilities for each prior month.
    05-20-19 06:12 PM
    But Enterprise is an outside entity. They don't dictate updates. Pixel gets them every month. I don't see why I have to wait 6 months when there are known vulnerabilities for each prior month.
    90 days is three months.

The ONLY reason any of us should expect 3 years of updates for the KEYONE (which neither BlackBerry Limited nor BlackBerry Mobile ever promised) is that the phone was on the Enterprise Recommended list, and that list requires three years of security updates within 90 days.

I understand you might want more frequent patching, but that is not something anyone ever committed to for the KEYone, so it's not something any of us was promised explicitly or implicitly.

The Pixel phones are always going to be the best for updates and letter upgrades, for obvious reasons. If that's more important to you than BlackBerry Mobile features, you should seriously consider a Pixel for your next phone.

In the long run, Google needs to solve the whole stinking update process, as it's the weakest part of Android.

05-20-19 06:21 PM
    I do think a lot of users got a little spoiled with the BlackBerry Ltd commitment to the security patches on Priv.

The unlocked Shop BlackBerry.com models were getting monthly patches almost like clockwork around the 4th-6th of the month for a lot of users. It was always updated on the CB app.

I am hoping for the BlackBerry Key 1 to eventually get 3 years of support via the quarterly updates until 2020. It may cost a little money but I do think there is some long term value to keeping with the promise of the Enterprise Recommend program and to keep BlackBerry Mobile customers happy and upgrading to newer hardware, if and when it comes time for a new device.

Business can never go wrong by providing a level of service and support to their clients that meets or exceeds expectations.

When BlackBerry Ltd decided to end patches for the PRIV at 24 months I don't think it helped BlackBerry Mobiles sales. The headlines and the optics of BlackBerry supporting BlackBerry 10 until 2020, 7 years past launch and then only supporting a device for 24 months that cost $900 Canadian wasn't great. Even if 10 000 less BlackBerry users, fans or a few corporate clients felt burned by that decision, that's still approx $3 million in revenue at an average selling price of $300 US for each Key series in lost sales.

Posted via CB10
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    05-20-19 06:34 PM
    I do think a lot of users got a little spoiled with the BlackBerry Ltd commitment to the security patches on Priv.

The unlocked Shop BlackBerry.com models were getting monthly patches almost like clockwork around the 4th-6th of the month for a lot of users. It was always updated on the CB app.

I am hoping for the BlackBerry Key 1 to eventually get 3 years of support via the quarterly updates until 2020. It may cost a little money but I do think there is some long term value to keeping with the promise of the Enterprise Recommend program and to keep BlackBerry Mobile customers happy and upgrading to newer hardware, if and when it comes time for a new device.

Business can never go wrong by providing a level of service and support to their clients that meets or exceeds expectations.

When BlackBerry Ltd decided to end patches for the PRIV at 24 months I don't think it helped BlackBerry Mobiles sales. The headlines and the optics of BlackBerry supporting BlackBerry 10 until 2020, 7 years past launch and then only supporting a device for 24 months that cost $900 Canadian wasn't great. Even if 10 000 less BlackBerry users, fans or a few corporate clients felt burned by that decision, that's still approx $3 million in revenue at an average selling price of $300 US for each Key series in lost sales.

Posted via CB10
    By time of Key series, with totally different company, the PRIV was long forgotten...
    05-20-19 06:39 PM
    90 days is three months.

The ONLY reason any of us should expect 3 years of updates for the KEYONE (which neither BlackBerry Limited nor BlackBerry Mobile ever promised) is that the phone was on the Enterprise Recommended list, and that list requires three years of security updates within 90 days.

I understand you might want more frequent patching, but that is not something anyone ever committed to for the KEYone, so it's not something any of us was promised explicitly or implicitly.

The Pixel phones are always going to be the best for updates and letter upgrades, for obvious reasons. If that's more important to you than BlackBerry Mobile features, you should seriously consider a Pixel for your next phone.

In the long run, Google needs to solve the whole stinking update process, as it's the weakest part of Android.

Ok well I waited 6 months yet I had a certified device.
    05-20-19 07:21 PM
84 1234