Official Blackberry blog post and Instagram post seems to show it will be called the Mercury when it's released.
    Attached Thumbnails Looks like it'll be called Mercury?-6096.jpg  
    01-11-17 01:49 PM
    lol nah, everyone calls it the mercury nowadays. A video was posted in which a TCL guy said the name will be told at MWC!

Posted via CB10
    antonrr likes this.
    01-11-17 02:16 PM
    Mercury was BlackBerry's code name for the prototype phone which now belongs to TCL. When TCL introduced it, they said it had no name. That's a pretty good indication it won't be called Mercury.
    01-11-17 06:15 PM
    it would make the best logical sense from a marketing standpoint to keep the Mercury name. Everybody already knows it as Mercury so changing the name will only confuse people. (of course it wouldn't confuse us, i'm talking about the non-Blackberry fans that [I think] will be needed to make this phone a success)
    01-11-17 06:30 PM
    it would make the best logical sense from a marketing standpoint to keep the Mercury name. Everybody already knows it as Mercury so changing the name will only confuse people. (of course it wouldn't confuse us, i'm talking about the non-Blackberry fans that [I think] will be needed to make this phone a success)
    Totally agree. It would be so cool to get a BB that retained its codename!
    anon(9710735) likes this.
    01-11-17 09:34 PM
    Uh oh, looks like nobody here actually read the article:

"More details about the smartphone, including its official name, will be coming at the Mobile World Congress show in February."
    01-11-17 10:12 PM

"More details about the smartphone, including its official name, will be coming at the Mobile World Congress show in February."
    Sure they did. It was just the wrong article.
    01-11-17 10:31 PM

Nowhere says it will not be Mercury. Just says official name will be announced. That is the reason for this forum too.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-17 02:16 AM
    And as somebody said, it would be sensible to keep it mercury itself since the world now knows it as Mercury and changing it may bring confusion.

Posted via CB10
    BBDav_10 likes this.
    01-12-17 02:17 AM
    If they do not call it Mercury, I would love to hear the marketing department's ridiculous reasoning for a total disconnect name change.
    01-12-17 06:18 AM
    I think, knowing the brilliant marketing of BlackBerry they should call it Oort or Pluto. Keeps the buyers confused and guarantees a depression of the stock so TCL can buy remaining assets and Chen gets that super secret golden parachute. Then then reveal they are actually Chinese intelligence services and release an intelligent virus that backfires and the machines take over...
    Quick run to Symbian while there's still time!!!!

Posted via CB10
    BBDav_10 likes this.
    01-12-17 06:29 AM
    Let's be honest, how many people know it by "Mercury" not very many other than us lol
    bigjman likes this.
    01-12-17 09:21 AM

That requires reading beyond the headline. Headlines or it never happened.
    01-12-17 12:55 PM
    Let's be honest, how many people know it by "Mercury" not very many other than us lol
    That's true, only BlackBerry followers who are committed like us will know it as "Mercury". I personally think it would be really awesome if they called it that. BlackBerry Nailed "Passport", Classic" and hopefully "mercury!"

Posted Via BlackBerry Q5
    01-12-17 01:05 PM
    That's true, only BlackBerry followers who are committed like us will know it as "Mercury". I personally think it would be really awesome if they called it that. BlackBerry Nailed "Passport", Classic" and hopefully "mercury!"

Posted Via BlackBerry Q5
    I'd argue that if they had of said nothing at CES this would be the case, but they took it to one of the largest electronics shows and let people run with the Mercury name, while the mention of it being called something else at launch was situated as a forgettable remark. While it may still be a small audience, it's certainly gone beyond just those committed to BlackBerry.
    01-12-17 03:52 PM
    Let's ask the Russians. I'm sure they've hacked it by now. Apparently its being stored on Mayor Rudy's personal email server.
    BBDav_10 likes this.
    01-12-17 04:22 PM
    I'd argue that if they had of said nothing at CES this would be the case, but they took it to one of the largest electronics shows and let people run with the Mercury name, while the mention of it being called something else at launch was situated as a forgettable remark. While it may still be a small audience, it's certainly gone beyond just those committed to BlackBerry.
    I somewhat firmly believe that no matter what happens / happened, the world will only know it as a 'new BlackBerry' which, ironically, is the same name that most people know every device as since the Z10. I'm not into marketing, but I say they should have just kept going with that. Put a letter and a number after 'BlackBerry' to differentiate them for inventory's sake and call it done. (BlackBerry Z50, D50, M80, X20... Who cares?)
    01-12-17 04:47 PM
    I wonder if they need to ensure that the devices in the Indonesian market have names that complement or are radically different than whatever TCL decides.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-17 04:52 PM
    If they seriously go with that name, it will be the 1st BlackBerry Android phone without a stupid, hideous, pathetic name. Seriously, Priv was AWFUL and DTEK.... um... not as bad, but still doesn't sound very good.
    01-12-17 07:17 PM
    Everybody = not many people outside of these forums have been paying much if any attention to this phone to this point.

Posted with my  Classic
    01-12-17 07:19 PM
    Mercury sounds better than Dtek70.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-17 08:25 PM
    They might as well call it the Remington
    01-13-17 02:55 PM
    Mercury was the messenger of the Gods, so why not?
    01-13-17 02:59 PM
    Maybe call it Elppa and watch the rage ensue.
    anon(10101748) likes this.
    01-13-17 03:19 PM
    Totally agree. It would be so cool to get a BB that retained its codename!
    I completely agree!! They could just think of a phone line with the names as the planets of solar system of ancient God's and goddesses.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-17 04:13 PM
36 12