I have a Samsung S7 which works great after 2 years. However if one reads about security of Android, it is dismal. BB was all about impregnable security uner BB os. Using Andoid has it eliminated the security flaws of other Andoid phones. Ie. 1.Giving away location even if turned off. 2. Can mic and camera be accesd only by recognized apps on the phone. NOT just warnings but actually blocked. 3. Same for any app. 4. Secure BB email. Let me say that considering the overarching state spying of every citizen, BB would get a good slice of business with a ad campaign pushing impregnable security. Google is not your friend.
    05-19-18 10:58 PM
    I have a Samsung S7 which works great after 2 years. However if one reads about security of Android, it is dismal. BB was all about impregnable security uner BB os. Using Andoid has it eliminated the security flaws of other Andoid phones. Ie. 1.Giving away location even if turned off. 2. Can mic and camera be accesd only by recognized apps on the phone. NOT just warnings but actually blocked. 3. Same for any app. 4. Secure BB email. Let me say that considering the overarching state spying of every citizen, BB would get a good slice of business with a ad campaign pushing impregnable security. Google is not your friend.
    All BlackBerry phones running Android are running the full Google Play Services suite and are as susceptible to Google's data mining as any other Android phone running Google Play Services.

Google can and does track your location on BlackBerry Android phones and any other Android phones with Google Play Services, even with location services disabled and Airplane Mode enabled.

There is nothing different about app permissions on a BlackBerry Android phone compared to any other Android phone. That includes mic and camera access.

The only thing that ever made BB email somewhat secure on legacy BlackBerrys was BIS (BlackBerry Internet Services), which used a form of encryption (although BB holds the master encryption keys and has been known to give those keys out to law enforcement). BlackBerry phones made since 2013 (BB10 and newer) do not use BIS.

From my perspective, BlackBerry Mobile's claims of privacy and security in their devices ring hollow. They're more of a marketing gimmick now.
    05-19-18 11:32 PM