More so "we won't do it" than "we can't do it", I imagine.

Posted via CB10
    The "can't" is because Android is not permitted on a square screen. The "won't" is the cost of drivers for new chipsets.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-17 02:17 PM
    Maybe that bad for some. I actually enjoy using my PRIV keyboard.
    Me too. I will concede that the Classic's keyboard is better, but having the larger screen on the PRIV balances it out for me.

Personally, I would rate the PRIV keyboard at 80 or 85% as good as the Classic.
    03-08-17 02:35 PM
    I don't have the data but I'm pretty sure that a large percentage of Priv owners finally gave up on the pkb and typically use the device with the slider closed. Can't prove that though.
    Totally not the case for me. I probably use the PKB 80% of the time. The VKB is good for quick messages, but any serious e-mail means the PKB for me.
    03-08-17 05:10 PM
    i agree with you . priv was to big after classic , thats why i couldn't use it and went back to classic.

i also need newest classic with android

:yes:
    03-08-17 05:37 PM
    That bad, eh?
    Nah that's a load of crap. Priv's keyboard was fine once you got used to it not as sweet as some BlackBerry but I had no issues past the first week.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-17 10:10 AM
    The "can't" is because Android is not permitted on a square screen. The "won't" is the cost of drivers for new chipsets.

Posted via CB10
    I think the whole square screen thing is a bit odd. 4:3 ratio is allowed, and there have been square screened android phones in the past....Motorola FlipOut for one, and there are wearables that run android that are square.

My dream phone would be a bold-ish styled phone with the tool-belt (w/trackpad), same keyboard, same buttons (mute and convenience key), similar size, and all the holster aware features. Give it a removable battery that will last at least 16 hours on average use.

Not smartphone user needs/wants a massive screen that they can watch HD video on. Watching HD video is of no consequence to me. Sure I don't want a fuzzy screen in general, but phone manufactures are focused too much on one type of user IMO. Just look at every new phone, even the KEYone... large screen, super fast processors that chew up power, (KEYone may be OK on this, but not many users have had have on with these long enough). The slabs are hard to put in a pocket, and using a holster with them you have this hugh thing now attached to your belt... Just not for me, but if we want to stay current with tech and functionality, we are forced into these phones.

If BB10 were fully supported with just a few of the common apps in active maintenance and development, I would jump on a current classic in a heartbeat, but it is clearly relegated to security patches...

I am sure if a good survey was conducted on what people like me use daily you will find the top apps are

Honestly if BB10 had native apps for Google Hangouts, Facebook (not that I am a heavy FB user, but it is nice to have with young kids/family), Tripcase, A good Weather App, and updated ability to view/edit MS office files, and keep unTappd working, I would be happy with BB10.
    03-09-17 10:11 AM
    It's only a 3/4" difference in total length, but a heck of a lot more screen to use. Try split-screen on a Classic

Visual Phone Size Comparison
    The classic looks cooler!
    03-09-17 12:30 PM
    looking for a Bold + Android-classic_android.jpg
    Praganad likes this.
    03-09-17 12:49 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Classic_Android.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	419049
    Ya see what I mean!
    03-09-17 01:20 PM
    I love the 1:1 screens. Hate having to deal with screen rotation. Such an elegant shape for a screen, too.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    03-09-17 03:10 PM
    I think the whole square screen thing is a bit odd. 4:3 ratio is allowed, and there have been square screened android phones in the past....Motorola FlipOut for one, and there are wearables that run android that are square.
    The FlipOut was a 4:3 screen, and smartwatches don't run Android, they run AndroidWear, which is significantly different and runs under different rules.

4:3 is as "square" as phone screens are allowed to be and still be Google-compliant (necessary to have access to Google Play and GMS).
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-09-17 04:30 PM
    but if we want to stay current with tech and functionality, we are forced into these phones.
    Manufacturers trend toward what sells, not the other way around.

The consumers have spoken. Whether you think it looks cool or not, most people buy what works for them first, and looks cool somewhere further down the list. Frankly, to me, the Classic looks as it's named. Stuck in time.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    03-09-17 08:26 PM
    Manufacturers trend toward what sells, not the other way around.

The consumers have spoken. Whether you think it looks cool or not, most people buy what works for them first, and looks cool somewhere further down the list. Frankly, to me, the Classic looks as it's named. Stuck in time.
    Anyone who believes that the "coolness" of a device is not high on the list of why consumers buy things, is sorely mistaken. If people made purchased solely based off of wht utility of things, BB and Palm would still a leader in the smartphone industry.

Apple made things "cool" in the tech world, and people have flock to slab style phones. My main phone is a S6, but have been playing with a Q10 for a few weeks, and while I have always said I can't stand athe VKB, going back to the Q10 is complete proof. I went from constantly correcting my typing to not really having to when I use the Q10. Teh Q10 however runs BB10, which while I think is a completly fine OS, and did not get the credit/attention it disserved from developers, so some apps I want are just not there, or they are not native to that OS so the need to run in the browser, or that Android runtime.

If virtual keyboards or touch screens were truely good ways to interact with computers, we would see them in business desktops, but look around, and everyplace I see still has the old Standard QWERTY keyboards and mouse. Does than mean desktops are stuck in time?
    03-10-17 08:36 AM
    Anyone who believes that the "coolness" of a device is not high on the list of why consumers buy things, is sorely mistaken. If people made purchased solely based off of wht utility of things, BB and Palm would still a leader in the smartphone industry.

Apple made things "cool" in the tech world, and people have flock to slab style phones. My main phone is a S6, but have been playing with a Q10 for a few weeks, and while I have always said I can't stand athe VKB, going back to the Q10 is complete proof. I went from constantly correcting my typing to not really having to when I use the Q10. Teh Q10 however runs BB10, which while I think is a completly fine OS, and did not get the credit/attention it disserved from developers, so some apps I want are just not there, or they are not native to that OS so the need to run in the browser, or that Android runtime.

If virtual keyboards or touch screens were truely good ways to interact with computers, we would see them in business desktops, but look around, and everyplace I see still has the old Standard QWERTY keyboards and mouse. Does than mean desktops are stuck in time?
    But you don't hold a 15 inch monitor in your hands at a desktop. . .

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-10-17 08:53 AM

That means people aren't stupid enough to think holding their arms in the air to type on a 23" multimonitor touchscreen would be cool. People choose touchscreen phones because it works for them, and having the option to have the keyboard​there when you want it and gone when you don't is practical. I fit this category as well, while I might type better on a PKB, it's not enough to overcome the pain I get in my thumbs and the constant scrolling to read anything. It's much better to type on a glass screen that I can lightly touch and then make the keyboard disappear so I can give my thumbs a break while I read, because I read very quickly and scrolling would be a chore.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-10-17 08:54 AM
    Not to mention touchscreens in laptops/desktops are just now (in the last couple years) becoming more mainstream/affordable.
    You and I can upgrade our phone every year or every other. It's another thing for a business to drop a chunk of cash to upgrade all their computers.
    So your point that "I don't see touchscreen desktops" doesn't necessarily mean or prove anything. Its just a straw man.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-10-17 08:57 AM
    Not to mention touchscreens in laptops/desktops are just now (in the last couple years) becoming more mainstream/affordable.
    You and I can upgrade our phone every year or every other. It's another thing for a business to drop a chunk of cash to upgrade all their computers.
    So your point that "I don't see touchscreen desktops" doesn't necessarily mean or prove anything. Its just a straw man.
    We recently got a new desktop computer with a touchscreen. We rarely even touch it unless we are looking through photos. I think it is far different when a device is small enough to be in your hands. And hundreds of millions of people are doing just fine professionally and personally typing with a VKB. And that is after many people had the BlackBerry PKB experience--they have adapted and aren't looking back.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-10-17 09:30 AM
    That means people aren't stupid enough to think holding their arms in the air to type on a 23" multimonitor touchscreen would be cool. People choose touchscreen phones because it works for them, and having the option to have the keyboard​there when you want it and gone when you don't is practical. I fit this category as well, while I might type better on a PKB, it's not enough to overcome the pain I get in my thumbs and the constant scrolling to read anything. It's much better to type on a glass screen that I can lightly touch and then make the keyboard disappear so I can give my thumbs a break while I read, because I read very quickly and scrolling would be a chore.
    Microsoft tried to go the way of an all touchscreen style UI for the desktop ala Windows 8, look how well that went over.

I am not saying you have to hold the screen in your hand, but it could be placed infront of you similar to a drafting table...
    03-10-17 09:47 AM
    If it were not for autocorrect, many more pople would be frustraited with VKB, IMO, but maybe I am just skewed because I like ht PKB. I do know my wife who is not a techie, and has no loyalty or care about which phone she uses does not like the VKB, but I do not know if I could convince her to go with a BB device just for the PKB. When I showed her the KEYone, she just rolled her eyes, and can't understand why I would even want one lol.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-10-17 09:51 AM
    ... And hundreds of millions of people are doing just fine professionally and personally typing with a VKB. And that is after many people had the BlackBerry PKB experience--they have adapted and aren't looking back.
    I think this has more to do with product life cycles than people's preferences. In the early days when prices are high there is more variation in features and more choice.

Once a product category matures and becomes a commodity, the price cutting begins, and in order to stay competitive manufacturers seek out the lowest common denominators.
    03-10-17 09:58 AM
    Microsoft tried to go the way of an all touchscreen style UI for the desktop ala Windows 8, look how well that went over.

I am not saying you have to hold the screen in your hand, but it could be placed infront of you similar to a drafting table...
    That's what I was referring to - try poking at a 23" screen and see if your shoulders aren't on fire inside a couple minutes. Even laying flat it's still going to burn. Maybe Microsoft was trying to incorporate a little exercise into users' usage time?
    03-10-17 10:00 AM
    If it were not for autocorrect, many more pople would be frustraited with VKB, IMO, but maybe I am just skewed because I like ht PKB. I do know my wife who is not a techie, and has no loyalty or care about which phone she uses does not like the VKB, but I do not know if I could convince her to go with a BB device just for the PKB. When I showed her the KEYone, she just rolled her eyes, and can't understand why I would even want one lol.
    My wife rolls her eyes if I talk about anything sans Apple logo, so I totally understand. There's no way she's putting down her iPhone unless the company folds; for her it has nothing to do with the method of transcribing her thoughts into the device but her experience with the OS and apps.
    03-10-17 10:04 AM
    A PKB might well be "better" for some of the people who, for whatever reason, need to generate a large volume of text (emails, messaging, documents, etc.) while mobile - while other such high-volume typers are fine with a VKB and may value large screens and cameras as part of their content creation. That really isn't the issue.

The issue is that the vast majority of people who use a smartphone aren't using that phone for large volumes of text-based content creation (but photo and video creation is massive and still growing), and, perhaps most relevant, the number of people who are high-volume text creators and who prefer PKBs are a small and still-shrinking niche. It remains to be seen whether that niche can be profitable to serve, and the hue and cry over the K1's launch price is a strong indicator that it might not be.

While some BB fans might have grown used to BB losing tons of money to serve their niche and have begun to believe that smartphone companies are in fact charities, most smartphone companies exist to generate profits for their shareholders, and product lines that can't generate profits are very likely to be eliminated.
    Thud Hardsmack and BigBadWulf like this.
    03-10-17 10:07 AM
    I hope that the KEYone sells well. It remains to be seen as Troy mentions, because the majority of smartphone users do fine without a PKB. The improvements that the KEYone brings are:
    • Full Android
    • Larger screen
    • Keyboard with many beloved BlackBerry features
    • BlackBerry App suite

I would love seeing a large screen without a keyboard... hopefully, the next BlackBerry will go in that direction.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-10-17 05:15 PM
    But that's just it. BlackBerry and Palm lost their utility, when their ecosystem faded in Apple and Google's rear view mirror. Tie in other items mentioned, such as camera, media, games, and the advancements in VKB, and what utility did BlackBerry remain superior at, besides PKB?
    03-10-17 10:05 PM
85 1234