Hi,

I have a silver keyone and I'm struggling with lag.

If I close all apps in recent apps then it's fine but after a while everything starts lagging again.

The only thing that seems to help is setting limit background processes to 4, then there is no lag, but only 4 apps stay open.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Clearing the cache didn't seem to help.

I'm really surprised that memory management on Android is this bad
    Wrec likes this.
    07-13-18 06:00 PM
    Hi,

If I close all apps in recent apps then it's fine but after a while everything starts lagging again.

The only thing that seems to help is setting limit background processes to 4, then there is no lag, but only 4 apps stay open.

You might want to post the main apps that you run. Maybe there's a kink in one or more of them.

You can also try the 32+ second reboot. Press and HOLD the Power Button for 32+ seconds and ignore the screen and any sounds or vibrations then let it restart.

Also, how much memory or space is left in Internal Memory and sd-card, if you have one?
    Sigewif likes this.
    07-13-18 08:12 PM
    I use Greenify in keyone, no lag so far.. since you can adjust which apps that you want to works in the background.
    07-13-18 11:46 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

I have 14gb free on my internal memory and my sd card is mounted only as a storage card.

I've tried the long reset as well as clearing the internal storage cache.

In terms of apps I use a lot of them! I'm trying greenify to see if it is one in particular that is causing the issue. I suspect it might be instagram? It is just strange to me that the phone performs so badly without tweaking. I never have such problems with iphone.
    07-14-18 12:45 AM
    Hi,

Because there is not enough memory. myself i removed all social media apps from my phone and the phone has new lease on life. it runs much better. these social media apps like facebook are just killing phone performance. multitasking is better now, phone has hardly any lag at all if ever. it is just so much better experience plus i am totally unplugged. if i need to go to facebook i use browser which is more than adequate experience. i can do everything with the browser that i could do with app.
    FF22 and Mecca EL like this.
    07-14-18 07:01 AM
    I limit my background processes to 2. I don't use any of the bb apps or services. I never had any social media apps or even go to their webpages. I turn off all animations. and I use t-ui launcher. I also make sure I do a full factory reset after every update and the phone is still laggy. and I only get 4 days battery life. if I use GPS (here wego) or play Pokemon go you can cut that in half.
    blackberry and TCL have no idea how to optimize their software!
    my next it Robin (similar hardware) screams compared to this mess.
    my friends moto e (also similar hardware) also Flys with no problem and he's got every bull**** social app known to man on his running.
    blackberry is giving android a bad name! even worse then Samsung at this point.
    07-15-18 03:21 PM
    Install Taskmanger from the Playstore and from the overflow create the kill all icon. A simple tap frees up all the ram you need to carry on.
    07-15-18 05:13 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

I have 14gb free on my internal memory and my sd card is mounted only as a storage card.

In terms of apps I use a lot of them! I'm trying greenify to see if it is one in particular that is causing the issue. I suspect it might be instagram? It is just strange to me that the phone performs so badly without tweaking. I never have such problems with iphone.
    I have heard that Facebook can also be a culprit if you use it. I access Facebook only from my browser for this reason.
    latinlyrics1 likes this.
    07-15-18 06:55 PM
    sadly the issue is the hardware. I have the same problem and have had with the Keyone and PRIV. It is ridiculous to suggest that one needs to uninstall social media apps. Blackberry needs to realise the social media is business for a lot of people. sadly blackberry has two flaws for a long time, performance and issues with their earpiece and despite endless complaints, they have failed to adequately address this. thanks I am willing to upgrade to the key2 but if it is also an issue there, that will be my last BB
    07-15-18 10:50 PM
    I use Greenify in keyone, no lag so far.. since you can adjust which apps that you want to works in the background.
    Did you manage to set greenify on automatic? I have to close all apps manually.
    07-15-18 10:58 PM
    Did you manage to set greenify on automatic? I have to close all apps manually.
    Well yes, I modify short cut in keyboard to automatically close all background apps.
    07-15-18 11:08 PM
    I agree with you but I feel like it is something that can be solved in software. The reason I think this is because the android should be able to know when the phone is running out of ram and thus free some to prevent slowdowns. A major feature of oreo is it's memory management so I'm hoping that will change things.

Try setting limit background processes to 4 and your phone will fly.

The only problem with that is apps are prematurely killed, eg I was writing a reply here and as chrome was killed i lost part of the reply.
    07-16-18 03:29 AM
    I have heard that Facebook can also be a culprit if you use it. I access Facebook only from my browser for this reason.
    I deleted the Facebook and Messenger apps and installed the Lite versions.
    07-16-18 08:37 AM
    Yes; Lite Messenger all the way.

And... use Greenify to manage the background apps.

My KeyOne remains snappy. I love this phone.
    07-19-18 03:41 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

3gb is not really enough for android if you have a bunch of apps. On my Key2 my average ram usage is 5ish - I lagged all the time on my Keyone because of ram limitations.

IPhone has way better ram management. It's why new flagship androids have 6-8gb.
    07-19-18 09:27 PM
    Hi,

I would suggest a factory reset of the phone and then install again the apps that you are using.
    Make sure that you have done before a backup .
    07-20-18 12:48 PM
    The very first place I’d start is FB Messenger. That app is a boat anchor.

Use Messenger Lite if you are using messenger. That alone makes a HUGE difference.

Then as mentioned previously; I think Greenify is awesome.
    07-21-18 09:08 AM