Not angry at all just realistic. I am not bashing anyone. I am stating facts that often seem to be ignored by some fanboys. I remember the days of being a frustrated BlackBerry user, waiting for updates that never came, listening to lies from BlackBerry execs (bb10 for playbook anyone? ), etc. I had the good sense to move on.

My life is probably busier than yours but I make time for my hobbies.
    Lol glad we have someone around to "open people's eyes" and evaluate tech for us. We should all be thankful for you taking time out of your extremely busy life (definetly busier then mine) to take up this Noble cause and make time for your hobbies. Even though you don't like them lol.
    the_boon likes this.
    05-17-18 10:05 AM
    No doubt? Based on what? I strongly disagree. Mobile physical keys are an outdated tech. The keyone sales are just a dead cat bounce, capturing the old pkb users that want some android apps. TCL obviously sold enough to bother with a Key2 but it’s still a pittance compared to the overall market.
    Sometimes, "outdated" tech has its advantages too and does some things better than newer tech.

KEYone sales are a pittance compared to the overall market, yes, but BB's reputation kept taking constant hard hits throughout the years. The KEYone could be the beginning of a possible rebirth of this brand towards a solid consistent niche market. It's pretty good they got that close to the 1M mark last year considering the slow rollout.

I suspect they will do much better this time around.

And as for your other comment about warning others that there are better phones out there for around the same price, don't you think these people know that? If they're in this forum, they probably want to skip all those other slabs that all looks the same (even more now in 2018 than ever it's insane).
    05-17-18 10:55 AM

I always see the iSheep label, which ironically enough, often comes from BlackBerry users. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
    Here, or by Crackberry users on iMore?
    05-17-18 11:24 AM
    No doubt? Based on what? I strongly disagree.
    As long as there is a SINGLE person that likes physical keys that hasn't yet bought a KEYᵒⁿᵉ, then I am correct.

Btw, I have a number of devices - slabs, high-end, low-end, etc. I wouldn't trade my KEYᵒⁿᵉ primary device for any of them. To each his/her own. I don't need your "realism".
    05-17-18 11:27 AM
    Here, or by Crackberry users on iMore?
    Everywhere but most definitely here.
    05-17-18 11:33 AM
    So then we're not really comparing apples to apples.
    05-17-18 11:35 AM
    As long as there is a SINGLE person that likes physical keys that hasn't yet bought a KEYᵒⁿᵉ, then I am correct.

Btw, I have a number of devices - slabs, high-end, low-end, etc. I wouldn't trade my KEYᵒⁿᵉ primary device for any of them. To each his/her own. I don't need your "realism".
    Whatever floats your boat. There will always be those that cling to the past, out of habit or other reasons. It is what it is.
    05-17-18 11:35 AM
    Whatever floats your boat. There will always be those that cling to the past, out of habit or other reasons. It is what it is.
    I don't think anyone needs to prove that their choice is superior - why can't we just agree to say we have different preferences?
    05-17-18 11:39 AM
    Here is an IG post from today where BlackBerry Mobile confirm that Oero is coming to KEYone later this year:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi4nKeRF2Q8/
    Sigewif likes this.
    05-17-18 12:01 PM
    I don't think anyone needs to prove that their choice is superior - why can't we just agree to say we have different preferences?
    Sure.
    05-17-18 12:10 PM
    Here is an IG post from today where BlackBerry Mobile confirm that Oero is coming to KEYone later this year:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi4nKeRF2Q8/
    I'm hoping "later this year" is defined as June, maybe July.... and not "later this year" as in 4th quarter....

At one point, someone said we'd get the new phone in May, and then OREO to the KEYone would be middle summer. But that May has turned into June so will middle summer turn into late Fall?

Hopefully they'll answer that question more definitively in a couple of weeks....
    05-17-18 12:46 PM
    I'm hoping "later this year" is defined as June, maybe July.... and not "later this year" as in 4th quarter....

At one point, someone said we'd get the new phone in May, and then OREO to the KEYone would be middle summer. But that May has turned into June so will middle summer turn into late Fall?

Hopefully they'll answer that question more definitively in a couple of weeks....
    Well, as I predicted with KEYtwo, realistically, even if the device is available immediately post launch on June 7th (which I highly doubt), it will be very limited as BlackBerry Mobile will of course want to carefully manage their inventory and therefore its really not before fall / winter this year that we could 'Amazon it' with one-click and not have to worry about its availability and the same goes for Oreo; in my opinion, the two are related as releasing Oreo to KEYone before the KEYtwo is widely available for purchase is leaving KEYone owners second guessing their need to upgrade to KEYtwo and therefore it is most likely staged.

Bottom line, KEYtwo: summer / fall
    Oreo for KEYone: fall / winter

And once again, I will be very happy to be proven wrong.
    05-17-18 12:51 PM
    Glass back is needed for wireless charging, which of course cheap TCL devices don’t have. Put a case on. Problem solved.
    I will tackle on this one. A glass back is NOT needed. My BB Z30 did not have a glass back and still has no glass back. It has a nice textured back and at one time a case and it still charged fine. It now sits in an easel on permanent wireless charge feeding Blend to me computers.

The Priv did not have a glass back and it wirelessly charged. Again, with and without a case.

My KeyOne has been outfitted with a wireless antenna and charges through it Stilgut case.

No one needs a fragile, breakable glass back to accommodate wireless charging.

Now you can get on with bashing....
    05-17-18 01:41 PM
    I will tackle on this one. A glass back is NOT needed. My BB Z30 did not have a glass back and still has no glass back. It has a nice textured back and at one time a case and it still charged fine. It now sits in an easel on permanent wireless charge feeding Blend to me computers.

The Priv did not have a glass back and it wirelessly charged. Again, with and without a case.

My KeyOne has been outfitted with a wireless antenna and charges through it Stilgut case.

I was also one that thought glass backs were mandatory for wireless charging... and was very happy to find out that I was wrong! The awesome rubbery material of the Priv works apparently, however I didn't know the Z30 had it too.

This effectively means that there is no reason for an OEM to go with a glass back, as it just adds unnecessary weight and fragility.

Why is BB the only OEM to use rubbery materials? Doesn't it make sense to manufacture devices that don't require users to slap a case on them right out of the box? Why would an OEM want their devices to slip and break easily?

Oh wait... could it be the $??

Hoping KEY3 brings wireless charging and an IP67 rating, just to shut up those haters that don't think BB is capable of delivering on that.
    05-17-18 02:26 PM
    Glass back is needed for wireless charging, which of course cheap TCL devices don’t have. Put a case on. Problem solved.
    Not always, previous BB devices with wireless charging used tacky (and sometimes creaky) plastic instead of glass. It's really just metal backs that can't coexist.
    05-17-18 02:29 PM
    I was also one that thought glass backs were mandatory for wireless charging... and was very happy to find out that I was wrong! The awesome rubbery material of the Priv works apparently, however I didn't know the Z30 had it too.

This effectively means that there is no reason for an OEM to go with a glass back, as it just adds unnecessary weight and fragility.

Why is BB the only OEM to use rubbery materials? Doesn't it make sense to manufacture devices that don't require users to slap a case on them right out of the box? Why would an OEM want their devices to slip and break easily?

Oh wait... could it be the $??

Hoping KEY3 brings wireless charging and an IP67 rating, just to shut up those haters that don't think BB is capable of delivering on that.
    The only Z30 that had Wireless charging was the one offered by Verizon. Somehow they managed to get that perk for their model.

But, again, both the Z30 and Priv worked on wireless charging pads with extra cases on their backs.
    05-17-18 02:32 PM
    First impressions....

Place a plastic and rubber phone in a display next to two all glass phones.... for those buying based on first impressions, the glass is most likely to win.

I do agree that for those not wanting to have a case, the plastic and rubber is going to look better longer. And much easier to hold on to.

But at this point, not sure I'd use any phone without a case - don't know of anyone that does. Last phone went swimming, so new phone is IP68 and it's in a life proof case.

As for future IP ratings from BBMo.... hope they do better than they did with the Motion.
    05-17-18 02:42 PM
    It's a vicious circle:

Fragile Phones ==> People Use Cases ==> More Fragile Phones ==> Better Cases ==> More Fragile Phones, etc

Posted with my trusty Z10
    05-17-18 03:09 PM

My bad. These days, my mind automatically goes to metal or glass as the back materials. You’re right of course. Any non metallic surface will work for wireless charging. The z30 carbon fibre was just amazing. It’s a shame it doesn’t get used anymore.

My point was that a glass back should not be a deterrent as long as the device is in a case.

And again, not trying to bash. Just call it as I see it.
    05-17-18 03:21 PM
    Not always, previous BB devices with wireless charging used tacky (and sometimes creaky) plastic instead of glass. It's really just metal backs that can't coexist.
    Correct. And I owned a wireless charging enabled Priv. I must have blocked out that creaky back from my mind.
    05-17-18 03:24 PM
    May 5th patch AAY819 starting to appear now.
    I will be checking for it. It isn't here yet. I am on the March 5 update so did April get skipped.
    I was not thinking much about it till someone I know with a DTEK60 got the May update yesterday (there weren't any workarounds needed either, though some people had trouble according to posts in the DTEK60 forum).
    I realized I am 2 months behind the DTEKs, at least for now. Anyway, it is great to hear the DTEKs are being updated.
    05-17-18 04:05 PM
    Ok, then, I am a Black(Berry) sheep, and happy to be one. I would hasten to say that the wool has not been pulled over my eyes (i's) because I definitely read enough negative about BlackBerry phones that if I wanted to I would change. Many of us have tried the slabs and found them not to our liking. Or we appreciate the battery life, and other perks of these newer BlackBerry phones. The pkb on the KEYᵒⁿᵉ is definitely modern technology. When I show people how I scroll with it they are surprised and impressed. I love the programmable keys, too, for example.
    I also have the privilege of being almost daily with someone who has an iPhone he recently bought who often shows up mid afternoon with just one focus--to find the nearest available outlet to charge his iPhone before it expires. My battery is usually at something like 65% or more at that time of day. To each his own. I am just glad TCL is making BlackBerry products for this BlackBerry sheep.
    anon(10337964) and the_boon like this.
    05-17-18 04:33 PM
    It's a vicious circle:

Fragile Phones ==> People Use Cases ==> More Fragile Phones ==> Better Cases ==> More Fragile Phones, etc

Perhaps promoted by the makers of bulky cases. I really can't get my mind around why someone would want a fragile glass back on a phone for looks that needs a big bulky case to keep it from breaking easily.
    the_boon likes this.
    05-17-18 04:43 PM
    Perhaps promoted by the makers of bulky cases. I really can't get my mind around why someone would want a fragile glass back on a phone for looks that needs a big bulky case to keep it from breaking easily.
    I think that, once companies like Apple realized they could maximize profits by positioning smart phones as lifestyle/luxury items, instead of the geeky workaholic accessories they had been previously, they had to deliver a slick, "luxurious" product.

Then, many people who really can't afford an $800+ phone felt a need to buy a case to protect their (over)investment!

One reason I still enjoy my Z10 so much is that I've carried it naked for more than five years in my pockets and backpack amidst jangling keys, coins and other bits of gear, and it's held up beautifully, looking MUCH better than my colleagues' CASED iPhones and Galaxies, which all seem to suffer from various spiderweb cracks.

To me, if you're worried about breaking a device that's meant to go everywhere with you, something is wrong. But everyone is entitled to spend their money as they see fit.

Sigewif and the_boon like this.
    05-17-18 04:53 PM
    I think that, once companies like Apple realized they could maximize profits by positioning smart phones as lifestyle/luxury items, instead of the geeky workaholic accessories they had been previously, they had to deliver a slick, "luxurious" product.

Then, many people who really can't afford an $800+ phone felt a need to buy a case to protect their (over)investment!

One reason I still enjoy my Z10 so much is that I've carried it naked for more than five years in my pockets and backpack amidst jangling keys, coins and other bits of gear, and it's held up beautifully, looking MUCH better than my colleagues' CASED iPhones and Galaxies, which all seem to suffer from various spiderweb cracks.

To me, if you're worried about breaking a device that's meant to go everywhere with you, something is wrong. But everyone is entitled to spend their money as they see fit.

That was biggest complaint I had with DTEK. I managed to crack screens on my 50 and 60. Didn't hold up like normal. KEYone seems like better quality materials.
    Sigewif likes this.
    05-17-18 05:05 PM
102 12345