Like many others around here, I am looking forward to getting a KEYone in a few weeks. But I wonder if it's the last mobile phone I'll ever purchase.

Assuming I keep it 3-4 years, I think it's a safe bet that there will be great cellular PCs available by late 2020. At that point, I won't need to deal with the limitations of a mobile OS like Android or iOS.

I can't think of a single mobile app or feature that I would need once I have an always on, always connected Windows 10 PC in a convenient form factor.

Please feel free to share what you think your next mobile phone would be AFTER the KEYone.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    06-10-17 11:13 PM
    Why in a few weeks and not now?
    06-10-17 11:22 PM
    Why in a few weeks and not now?
    Accounting reasons. My next fiscal year starts July 1.

06-10-17 11:25 PM
    The issue with a lot of "cellular PCs" and why they never really caught on, but something like the iPhone did, is categorizing people's priorities.

Let me out it simply, you want a "cellular" pc? They already exist.

Grab an old Nokia N900, Modify an Android device to run full Linux, or even an older Windows 6.0 device.

They were pretty much full fledged PCs. They might not have run full Windows programs, but you could develop on board.

Besides, programs designed to run on a PC would hardly work well on a mobile display.

This is what many manufacturers failed to grasp and why the iPhone, and later Android was so dominant.

The mobile space was seeking simplicity, and an OS that was everything to everyone wasn't simple.

There were other issues of course, hardware for one, as well as the early state of telecommunications.

The mobile device may become more similar to the full fledged desktop, but they'll never be replaced. Because each have their own place and their own purpose.

Even something as simple as laptops and desktops. the portability of the laptop never supplanted the power and modularity of the desktop.

It's about finding the balance of devices that works for you.

Someone who doesn't need to type out documents and doesn't do any serious computing could probably just use a smartphone and tablet for the rest of their lives.

Personally I use a desktop and smartphone. Never needed a tablet, because it was an in-between that didn't fit my life. I had to eventually get a laptop for work, and that fit the mold there.

What I all boils down to is this: Mobile Computers exist. You won't find them running Android or iOS and probably haven't been made in the last 5 years. Because that's not what the general public wants.

And while the software in these devices may eventually be the same, the difference in form factor is what makes them stand out in their particular categories.
    06-10-17 11:25 PM
    That's a good question but not sure we will be there in 3 to 4 years. And if we are, I would be willing to bet it's Google and Apple with their unlimited funds that will likely push the alternative into the mainstream. But I do think it will be a long transition as Android is basically in everything now and not just mobile phones.
    06-10-17 11:26 PM
    My next phone will be the next BlackBerry released. For now I have way to many to use lol.
    06-10-17 11:26 PM
    The issue with a lot of "cellular PCs" and why they never really caught on, but something like the iPhone did, is categorizing people's priorities.

Let me out it simply, you want a "cellular" pc? They already exist.

Grab an old Nokia N900, Modify an Android device to run full Linux, or even an older Windows 6.0 device.

They were pretty much full fledged PCs. They might not have run full Windows programs, but you could develop on board.

Besides, programs designed to run on a PC would hardly work well on a mobile display.

This is what many manufacturers failed to grasp and why the iPhone, and later Android was so dominant.

The mobile space was seeking simplicity, and an OS that was everything to everyone wasn't simple.

There were other issues of course, hardware for one, as well as the early state of telecommunications.

The mobile device may become more similar to the full fledged desktop, but they'll never be replaced. Because each have their own place and their own purpose.

Even something as simple as laptops and desktops. the portability of the laptop never supplanted the power and modularity of the desktop.

It's about finding the balance of devices that works for you.

Someone who doesn't need to type out documents and doesn't do any serious computing could probably just use a smartphone and tablet for the rest of their lives.

Personally I use a desktop and smartphone. Never needed a tablet, because it was an in-between that didn't fit my life. I had to eventually get a laptop for work, and that fit the mold there.

What I all boils down to is this: Mobile Computers exist. You won't find them running Android or iOS and probably haven't been made in the last 5 years. Because that's not what the general public wants.

And while the software in these devices may eventually be the same, the difference in form factor is what makes them stand out in their particular categories.
    I think they mean phones with Windows or Samsung DEx, where you plug it into a dock and have PC features.
    06-10-17 11:31 PM
    no way i use a phone for 3-4 years. i might use my iphone 7+ for close to 2 years but that will be the first time in 5-6 years i havent got a phone every year. no way i will make it til 2020 lol
    06-10-17 11:33 PM
    For me it's all about the keyboard! my last draw was using the Google Pixel! I know I touch type correctly but constantly am wasting tons of valuable time backspacing correcting word error. This drove me mental! I refuse to use another slab device again! I'm sold on Blackberry Mobile and will continue to use a pkb device until the stop manufacturing them!!!
    06-11-17 12:02 AM
    I would be shocked if the K1 is getting updates 3 or 4 years from now. Priv and DTEKs have been out just over 1 year and are already unlikely to get any future updates. By 2020 (4 years after priv/dtek) I imagine marshmallow support will be like kitkat today - nearly unusable.

Android manufacturers unfortunately all follow the example set by Google of "drop support within 2 years or sooner" whereas Apple supports their devices with updates for a solid 6+ years.

I was really hoping BlackBerry would finally be the one company to provide long term android support, but they seem to be letting everyone down with the Priv and DTEKs. I wouldn't assume the K1 will get anything other than Nougat, which artificially limits it's lifespan to 2 years max before apps quit working due to dropping support for Nougat. Really hope I am wrong in that assumption.

 C L A S S I C
    Alain_A likes this.
    06-11-17 01:33 AM
    I doubt the KEYone will stay on Nougat it's whole lifespan. And even if that is the case, there is no way apps will quit working due to dropping app support for N in 2 years. not a chance that happens.
    06-11-17 12:44 PM
    I would be shocked if the K1 is getting updates 3 or 4 years from now. Priv and DTEKs have been out just over 1 year and are already unlikely to get any future updates. By 2020 (4 years after priv/dtek) I imagine marshmallow support will be like kitkat today - nearly unusable.

Android manufacturers unfortunately all follow the example set by Google of "drop support within 2 years or sooner" whereas Apple supports their devices with updates for a solid 6+ years.

I was really hoping BlackBerry would finally be the one company to provide long term android support, but they seem to be letting everyone down with the Priv and DTEKs. I wouldn't assume the K1 will get anything other than Nougat, which artificially limits it's lifespan to 2 years max before apps quit working due to dropping support for Nougat. Really hope I am wrong in that assumption.

 C L A S S I C
    Most apps still work on 4.3, with 7 you are pretty sure to be able to use apps for many years.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-17 01:32 PM
    I don't feel any need to chase the latest version of every App. Just as most apps today still run great on Android L, I expect most apps in 2020 to work.on Android N, which is the worst case scenario. I think it's at least possible that the KEYone will be upgraded to O anyway.

06-12-17 06:14 AM