I'm listening to YouTube, not watching the YouTube while driving. There are tons of podcast in YouTube that are worth to listen while driving just like I do listen to radio.

With passport, I just played YouTube in the background while using gps to get to the destination since os10 was able to do that. And samsung Note series have been able to handle split screen function long ago just like the android nougat's new feature today, so I had used gps and YouTube with note 4 all the times without any issue.

The priv and original KEYᵒⁿᵉ is the only devices that can not do this simple(to me at least since I have used it with every other devices for few years) task for recent few years.

Seriously guys, you just need to admit the fact that original KEYᵒⁿᵉ with 3gb ram can not handle somewhat simple tasks that other phone released 3 years ago could handle without any problem whether that usage pattern is normal or not for you guys.

I have used smartphone from year 2002 starting with that thick heavy brick with stylus, and I have used almost all the famous Blackberrys and Samsungs. (I even used couple windows lumina as wells, I just used Only one iPhone though.. it just didn't fit me) and I can say that the priv and 3gb ram KEYᵒⁿᵉ were jokes. I actually quite liked q10 and passport for past few years. And I am liking the current black KEYᵒⁿᵉ wirh 4gb rams since it allows me to do most stuffs that I used to do with other phones + gives me functionality of pkb.
    I'm having a hard time seeing the need to watch you tube podcasts. I download podcasts and listen via Bluetooth. GPS is built into the car.
    10-24-17 09:16 PM
    I'm having a hard time seeing the need to watch you tube podcasts. I download podcasts and listen via Bluetooth. GPS is built into the car.
    This. I use Podcast Republic, but many good options out there, certainly better than YouTube.
    10-24-17 10:45 PM
    sigh... the fact that I have to find a work around to get the same task done with 3gb ram KEYᵒⁿᵉ is my main complain. especially when I was able to do that kind of task with other phones without any issue or lags from blackberry and Samsung for past 3-4 years. (except the priv which was the another joke)

and android nougat(7.0) officially supports 'split screen feature' for running two programs spontaneously, but the original KEYᵒⁿᵉ still can not run two programs of Google at the year of 2017.

please guys, I know you guys love blackberry so much, but I do as well too. that's why I have used more than 10 blackberry models in the past. and I'm not asking for your great ideas to get the some job done in different ways. I know there are other options out there other than YouTube, but why hell do I have to start using those ways suddenly only with this phone?

and yes, before 2013, I did not try to use YouTube and gps(waze or google) programs at the same time because specs(or features) of average phones back then could not handle it.

it's like suddenly I ended up getting the car without remote key after driving cars with remote key to unlock or lock for many years. yes, you can still manually open the door or leave the car door open in your garage to make it work for you, but I would call it as a 'joke' when that car(or phone) comes without those 'Common' capability at that point.

somehow samsung note3 with 3gb ram could handle that multi task of YouTube and Google map without this much of lag like keyone. but KEYᵒⁿᵉ definitely need a 4gb ram at least to get that done. whether It is a spec to blame or optimization of os, I it is definitely original keyone's problem.
    olee2222 likes this.
    10-25-17 06:43 AM
    Blackberry Hub (and services) exhaust a lot of the phones RAM and truthfully if you uninstall it you might find the K1 competing toe-to-toe with the S8 and that's the Silver K1 we're talking about, as soon I got the K1BE I felt the 33% increased power instantly.
    So my advise to you, if you enjoy the K1 might just go for the upgraded version.
    scott8629 and olee2222 like this.
    10-25-17 11:37 AM
    Okay well given that I haven't had any lag issues with my KEYone since launch, I decided to test your use case this morning. I used google map while having a YouTube video running on split screen on my drive to work. I even left 3 other apps open including the hub and Facebook messenger. I experienced zero lag on my 15 minute drive to work.
    Maybe you should check your device for some rogue App causing slow down before declaring this device not worthy because of the RAM. What is the service like where you are driving? Is youtube having issues because of that?
    It would also be nice for others in this thread to try using both google maps and youtube in split screen and see what their results are.
    And this has nothing to do with being BlackBerry fans. I have been very critical of BlackBerry when it was warranted but given that I just tested this and didn't have an issue, I have no reason to.
    Last edited by ray689; 10-25-17 at 03:37 PM.
    FF22, vara411, olee2222 and 1 others like this.
    10-25-17 03:19 PM
    Okay well given that I haven't had any lag issues with my KEYone since launch, I decided to test your use case this morning. I used google map while having a YouTube video running on split screen on my drive to work. I even left 3 other apps open including the hub and Facebook messenger. I experienced zero lag on my 15 minute drive to work.
    Good detective work there, Ray. I'll try and see if I can duplicate that tomorrow on my drive to work as well.
    10-25-17 10:39 PM
    3 days of usage so far, KeyOne Black Edition with 4GB of memory and I'm quite happy. The device snappy, with excellent battery life. It feels wonderful to type on a physical keyboard again. Just waiting for a case and a screen protector and this will become my daily driver. My other device is a Samsung S8+ and I have to say that the KeyOne is a better performer in every way. The memory management on the KeyOne is much better than the S8+.

Next up, iPhone X test drive 😊
    olee2222 likes this.
    10-26-17 01:00 AM
    In my experience the K1 is slow or slowER than other phones. I've searched all on CB and AC for the culprit and while many disagree I think the problem is the Hub and the RAM it eats up. I had been debating deleting it but didn't bcuz I wanted a more authentic BlackBerry experience. Well...last nite I took the plunge, deleted/disabled the Hub and it's services and man...my phone is humming fast. And RAM usage is much lower.

I'm using Outlook and while I may go back to the Hub (it still the best at productivity) I'll do so with the knowledge of what I'm getting myself into.
    olee2222 likes this.
    10-30-17 12:32 PM
    Perfect!

Switched off the Autoupdate in Google Play and instantly the phone began working like it should.

My guess is one of the apps would try and install, in my case it was Twitter, and it would hang, like, forever, and never update, thereby causing the lag.

If your Keyone is lagging try switching off the Autoupdate in the Google Play store and see if that doesnt make a difference.

Twitter, I uninstalled it and it's like a new phone. Twitter "Lite" works great in it's place with no issue.

Thanks for posting!

Ahhh, I hope finally the KeyONE would be a lag free phone. The Priv is supper laggy at times, other times it is not. I am waiting for my KeyOne Limited Edition to arrive.

Here's what I found to speed up the Priv:
    1. Update to Android 6.0.1
    2. Stop Blackberry HUB from starting
    3. Use Facebook Lite (uninstall Facebook)
    4. Use Messenger Lite (uninstall Messenger)
    5. Regularly close apps during the day
    6. Use the app TaskKiller to close apps
    7. Clean the cache (manually or with CCcleaner)
    8. Soft reset the device (hold power button for about 10 sec) - close apps manually before
    9. Turn off the device for 15-20 mins - close apps before
    10. Free up space on the Internal memory (min. 2 GB)
    11. Keep number of apps to a minimum (deinstall rarely used apps - I install them when needed again)
    12. Turn off auto network-update features in apps
    13. Bought a very fast Micro SD card (look for tests on Wirecutter)
    14. Nova Launcher (instead of Blackberry Launcher)

Some apps that tend to cause lags I think, but also varies from update to update for each app
    • Chrome
    • Google Maps
    • Mobile Iron (corporate app for a secure environment)
    • Nine Folders (MS exchange email client)
    • Google Play Store installing apps in the background
    • Microsoft OneNote
    • Facebook (original)
    • Facebook Messenger (original)

As a comparison, my wife uses a Samsung S7 Edge Dual Sim.
    It is always super snappy speedy, whatever she does. She watches tons of youtube, Google Maps is always on and used, crazy amount of photo and video usage, both native and in apps, Skype is also used a lot. When I pick up her phone, she has almost all applications open in her Recent Apps.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-29-18 03:28 AM
    I recognized that same issue with my K1. I used a CPU monitoring app and found out, that there are quite often 2 or 3 cores just offline while the whole device lags. Not sure, if this is a hardware issue or software based one. Just to have another possibility to check.
    03-02-18 04:49 PM
    I found the issue finally. I was about to throw my KEYone in the trash. It is all to do with the hub and the number of email applications you have. Basically you can only have one email client /application otherwise the Hub is constantly trying to pull out of several email apps. Which lags out the phone. You need to disable or get rid of Gmail, Hub and any other email clients. Then just load back one and put all of your email accounts into it. Obviously a glitch. I have outlook app with four email addresses one exchange (work) a lot of traffic and office 365, gmail and a IMAP on the phone and its works fine. I disabled the hub. But you can use the hub is you only use the hub for email. Ie no other email apps including gmail app
    08-09-18 03:02 AM
    totally agree. mine is black edition. I agree that keyone is a little laggy. I have used almost a month now. still laggy. you need to clear cached quite often. unlike my previous cheap xiaomi redmi 4x. Low spec but smoother than keyone.
    08-09-18 09:53 AM
    IT lags all the time. to Start an App you wait a second.

Remember PRIV what was quite unusable.

k2 is at the Moment lagfree but in 12 month.

if anybody says k1 dies Not lag He has purple Glases on
    08-09-18 12:47 PM
    no it does not
    08-09-18 12:49 PM
    It didn't help I have a keyone black edition it lags really bad, when connected to Bluetooth and maps, or the Google music player. 4Gigs of ram didn't make any difference. I have used Blackberries for a long time exclusively, but this experience finally has me reconsidering. I know my Z30 wasn't perfect, but all the things I did with that phone, the Keyone leaves me wishing I had it back again.
    beckzyboi likes this.
    08-09-18 02:19 PM
    Hate to join the lag bandwagon, but my lag is terrible. I started really noticing it when I would ask my wife to use my phone to look something up, put on a song or answer a text while I was driving. She would say stuff like, "how do you use this thing, it's soooooo slow". I guess I was just used to it running slower and slower. Now it's unbearable. I empty the cache & restart all the time.
    08-10-18 08:55 PM
    This is what happens when you get a device that has a weak processor with an insufficient amount of RAM in it. There isn't anything you can do to fix it except to erase everything and start over until it starts lagging again. My advice would be to trash it and see if the KEYtwo is a better option for you.
    08-10-18 09:00 PM
    Did you check your SD Card? When mines started lagging it was because the SD Card died...
    08-10-18 09:05 PM
    I don't have an SD card in my phone.
    08-10-18 09:41 PM
    I don't have an SD card in my phone.
    Chances are that may not be your problem, but it sure caused mine to slow down...
    08-10-18 11:40 PM
    I use Messenger Lite. So, no.
    What's the difference? If Lite doesn't remove the functionality that I need I'll switch over. If it's going to speed up my phone a bit then why not.
    08-11-18 12:03 AM
    What's the difference? If Lite doesn't remove the functionality that I need I'll switch over. If it's going to speed up my phone a bit then why not.
    No harm in trying it and finding out.
    08-11-18 08:26 AM
    Hate to join the lag bandwagon, but my lag is terrible. I started really noticing it when I would ask my wife to use my phone to look something up, put on a song or answer a text while I was driving. She would say stuff like, "how do you use this thing, it's soooooo slow". I guess I was just used to it running slower and slower. Now it's unbearable. I empty the cache & restart all the time.
    I'm in the same boat and hoping oreo fixes this. The last month has been absolutely unbearable. I'm clearing cache and doing a 32-second reboot daily. It's frustrating trying to pinpoint exactly what causes it, but Chrome is definitely a huge offender.
    08-11-18 08:36 AM
    This is what happens when you get a device that has a weak processor with an insufficient amount of RAM in it. There isn't anything you can do to fix it except to erase everything and start over until it starts lagging again. My advice would be to trash it and see if the KEYtwo is a better option for you.
    It doesn't have insufficient RAM. It does have a weak processor.
    08-11-18 08:59 AM
    I have no lag at all. Got rid of gmail app, integrated email accounts in Hub. Moved to FB and Messenger Lite as FB did slow down my KEYone.

BlackBerry since 2006. Passport and KEYone
    08-11-18 09:06 AM
60 123