Doing marketing on social media only works if enough people follow you on social media AND enough of them decide to buy what you're selling. How many people know BB still exists AND know about BBMobile AND follow them on social media?

Also, no one is suggesting that BBMobile spend on the same level as Apple or Samsung. People are simply saying that they should do more than they're doing currently. Saying they should do more doesn't equate to saying they should spend as much as Apple or Samsung and I'm not sure why some folks believe that it does.
    They sent tech blogs review units. While many people don't follow BlackBerry Mobile, people do follow those tech blogs. Where do you think all those YouTube review videos come from?

Doing more, like TV ads and billboards, requires more money. If people aren't expecting them to spend more money, what do they expect them to do in this "more" scenario? More internet stuff? You just said that's ineffective.

The first issues they have to deal with is getting distribution and inventory /before/ marketing to the general public. If the distribution isn't there, people will go searching and find no where to find it. If the inventory isn't there, there's nothing to buy. For the U.S., distribution is normally through carriers and it doesn't look like any are on board for the /immediate/ future. As for inventory, they're selling everything they're /capable/ of producing at the moment. What's the point of spending money to get people excited over something they can't see or buy? Give it some time.
    05-29-17 12:56 PM
    This is a crazy idea perhaps, but I know in the booze industry a representative from the distillery or brewery travels around to retail stores to introduce new products - essentially to bring awareness (therefore sales) of that new product to those front line people that will be selling the product. Why can't BlackBerry do the same? So I live in Windsor ON, usually considered part of the US and a forgotten piece of Canada. BlackBerry SHOULD BE sending a traveling rep around to all phone retail outlets introducing the new KeyOne. Cheaper than TV spots and ensuring front line people know about the product. Eazy Peazy.
    Are you willing to foot the bill? It's such a cheap plan and you'll be a hero.
    05-29-17 12:59 PM
    The meet ups only cater to the CrackBerry crowd. Go ask some random person in a store looking to buy a device if they attended a meet up and they'll look at you very puzzled. Don't get me wrong, the meet ups are great, but they cater to a crowd who were already going to buy the device.
    The meetups do reach people who are BlackBerry users who aren't 100% convinced with the KEYone, whether because it's not BBOS, BB10, the right form factor, the right screen size, etc. These people aren't "already going to buy".
    05-29-17 01:03 PM
    So yeah, I agree that the meet-ups aren't really a marketing thing. If anything, they do the opposite. If you told someone that the Blackberry brand is so cultish that random people get together for meetups based solely on their phone ownership, that person would probably actively avoid it.
    There's an annual event for buying iPhones...
    05-29-17 01:06 PM
    The meetups do reach people who are BlackBerry users who aren't 100% convinced with the KEYone, whether because it's not BBOS, BB10, the right form factor, the right screen size, etc. These people aren't "already going to buy".
    Maybe some of them, but a lot or most of the people going to these are BlackBerry fans that would buy the phone and just return it if they aren't happy with it.
    05-29-17 01:47 PM
    People line up at the store to buy an iPhone. They hang with their friends, and probably talk very casually to the strangers around them.

People do NOT buy an iPhone and then go to some restaurant to sit at a table with a bunch of other iPhone users they don't know, oohing and aaahing over their iPhones.

I remember hearing about 12 years ago that Prius drivers used to wave at other Prius drivers they saw on the road. I thought that was weird, too. Then the Prius became very mainstream, and I heard those waving Prius drivers complaining about how sad they are that the days of getting a return wave were gone.

It was at that point that I *knew* it was weird.
    05-29-17 01:50 PM
    Lack of TARGETED advertising imo has been bbs Achilles heel for a long time. Spending money on branding rather than marketing.

BB10 was (is) a brilliant OS, shame that not enough people knew about it. Not surprised at all that BB are failing to advertise the keyone as a device.
    05-29-17 03:31 PM
    They sent tech blogs review units. While many people don't follow BlackBerry Mobile, people do follow those tech blogs. Where do you think all those YouTube review videos come from?

Doing more, like TV ads and billboards, requires more money. If people aren't expecting them to spend more money, what do they expect them to do in this "more" scenario? More internet stuff? You just said that's ineffective.

The first issues they have to deal with is getting distribution and inventory /before/ marketing to the general public. If the distribution isn't there, people will go searching and find no where to find it. If the inventory isn't there, there's nothing to buy. For the U.S., distribution is normally through carriers and it doesn't look like any are on board for the /immediate/ future. As for inventory, they're selling everything they're /capable/ of producing at the moment. What's the point of spending money to get people excited over something they can't see or buy? Give it some time.
    First of all, I didn't say that social media is ineffective. I said it's only effective if enough people follow and are interested in what you're selling.

Second of all, I know marketing costs money, but are you telling me that A: they released this phone without any sort of budget for marketing, and/or B: spent ALL of it so soon?

If you can point out the part of my original comment where I said social media wouldn't be effective under any circumstances, please do so.
    05-29-17 03:40 PM
    BB10 was (is) a brilliant OS
    No it wasn't.
    05-29-17 03:50 PM
    No it wasn't.
    Disagree, a really nice OS and if it was marketed properly could have been competitive and if it was would have had app support etc etc with no need to jump on the android train.
    05-29-17 04:05 PM
    Exactly. In a global market inundated with hundreds of similar slabs, the KeyONE is a niche phone and they've made no bones indicating it's not for mass appeal. I'm assuming BlackBerry's and TCL's intentions are, in order:

> regain lost enterprise and government contracts

> convert OS and BB10 loyalists

> try to appeal to former pkb users who left due to previous app void

Anyone else would be gravy.
    05-29-17 04:06 PM
    First of all, I didn't say that social media is ineffective. I said it's only effective if enough people follow and are interested in what you're selling.

Second of all, I know marketing costs money, but are you telling me that A: they released this phone without any sort of budget for marketing, and/or B: spent ALL of it so soon?

If you can point out the part of my original comment where I said social media wouldn't be effective under any circumstances, please do so.
    You didn't say social media was ineffective in general, but commented that BlackBerry Mobile's use of it was essentially ineffective because consumers don't know "BB still exists AND know about BBMobile AND follow them on social media". I pointed out that they probably realized this, thus the review units to tech blogs. Were you saying their use of social media is effective, or not?

I'm saying that they're probably withholding marketing money until they get inventory to distributors, i.e. "Give it some time." Canada, which has had the release, is getting marketing now. The U.S. /will/ get it, but probably much more limited because the carriers aren't on board yet. All BlackBerry Mobile can advertise is that the KEYone is available on Amazon and BestBuy, but no carriers. That requires the general public to know that they can use unlocked devices with their carriers, which is /not/ common knowledge in the U.S.
    05-29-17 04:11 PM
    No it wasn't.
    And without Apps it was a non-starter for 99.99% of the public. For that reason alone, the OS was deficient and had no chance. It was a new car without a gas tank. It was satisfactory for people who just wanted to sit in it in their garage.
    05-29-17 04:16 PM
    Disagree, a really nice OS and if it was marketed properly could have been competitive and if it was would have had app support etc etc with no need to jump on the android train.
    It was a Catch-22. They weren't going to build Apps for an OS that at most, had a 3% market share. If even that? And they couldn't market it to try to increase awareness without Apps. They were in a vicious circle with 0% chance.
    05-29-17 04:20 PM
    We all just need to get used to this poor marketing by Blackberry, it will never change! To this date every single person that looks at my PRIV is melted away by its beauty! They have no idea BlackBerry still exists and that it runs android! They even ask if it just got released. They have no idea its a 2015 made phone
    05-29-17 05:06 PM
    and if you had wings, you could fly.

The ifs are usually impossible dreams.
    05-29-17 05:10 PM
    You didn't say social media was ineffective in general, but commented that BlackBerry Mobile's use of it was essentially ineffective because consumers don't know "BB still exists AND know about BBMobile AND follow them on social media". I pointed out that they probably realized this, thus the review units to tech blogs. Were you saying their use of social media is effective, or not?

I'm saying that they're probably withholding marketing money until they get inventory to distributors, i.e. "Give it some time." Canada, which has had the release, is getting marketing now. The U.S. /will/ get it, but probably much more limited because the carriers aren't on board yet. All BlackBerry Mobile can advertise is that the KEYone is available on Amazon and BestBuy, but no carriers. That requires the general public to know that they can use unlocked devices with their carriers, which is /not/ common knowledge in the U.S.
    I didn't say it was definitively effective or not. I simply don't believe they have the audience necessary in order for social media to be their primary source of promotion. I would argue that those who do follow them are already interested in the K1(and future devices) and aren't the people that BB/TCL needs to reach. For context, I describe social media as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and SnapChat. Yes, I know that YouTube is also considered social media, but it's not the same sort of experience, IMO.
    05-29-17 05:36 PM
    Why would you see ads for a phone that is a niche product aimed a niche market of buyers? In addition, the product isn't in stores yet.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    05-29-17 05:41 PM
    The meet ups only cater to the CrackBerry crowd. Go ask some random person in a store looking to buy a device if they attended a meet up and they'll look at you very puzzled. Don't get me wrong, the meet ups are great, but they cater to a crowd who were already going to buy the device.
    In reality BlackBerry / Crackberry crowd are the only consumers who will buy this phone.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    05-29-17 05:48 PM
    I didn't say it was definitively effective or not. I simply don't believe they have the audience necessary in order for social media to be their primary source of promotion. I would argue that those who do follow them are already interested in the K1(and future devices) and aren't the people that BB/TCL needs to reach. For context, I describe social media as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and SnapChat. Yes, I know that YouTube is also considered social media, but it's not the same sort of experience, IMO.
    They did seed review devices to tech bloggers with large YouTube presence and tech bloggers with review websites. As for Twitter and Instagram, those depend on number of followers and as you've said, they don't have the numbers. They could have seeded well known Twitter, Instagram, and SnapChat users, but I don't think it's enough for those people to say, "Oh, BlackBerry sent me their new KEYone. I love it." It's not enough to get people to switch based on that. Sure, it builds some awareness, but will probably just draw snarky comments like, "BlackBerry is still alive?"
    MikeX74 likes this.
    05-29-17 06:25 PM
    I live in Toronto and was walking through the main train station, Union Station this afternoon. The entire length of the wall between tracks had HUGE billboards for the KEYone. In fact I was thinking I should take a pic of that to post here, now I wish I had. As for tv/radio, etc. I'm not sure but at least this is something, and in a spot where people can see it.

Also, the phone is just plain ugly. Looks like the Passport SE and Classic were on some astral collision course, smashed into each other; the Passport losing its bottom and the Classic its top. This is the outcome.
    05-29-17 06:31 PM
    K1 has been sold out in the UK for for the first 3 weeks of availability without advertising. Sold out day 1 at Selfridges without any advertising.
    That happens with ALL phones. The issue is: will it last?
    05-29-17 06:34 PM
    I it.

Also, the phone is just plain ugly. Looks like the Passport SE and Classic were on some astral collision course, smashed into each other; the Passport losing its bottom and the Classic its top. This is the outcome.
    Lol
    05-29-17 06:35 PM
    Exactly. In a global market inundated with hundreds of similar slabs, the KeyONE is a niche phone and they've made no bones indicating it's not for mass appeal. I'm assuming BlackBerry's and TCL's intentions are, in order:

> regain lost enterprise and government contracts

> convert OS and BB10 loyalists

> try to appeal to former pkb users who left due to previous app void

Anyone else would be gravy.
    It may be their intentions. But let's ask CB who was at these? I doubt many enterprise customers have come out of curiosity. They have successfully moved on.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-17 07:55 PM
    Why would you see ads for a phone that is a niche product aimed a niche market of buyers? In addition, the product isn't in stores yet.

Posted via CB10
    You won't unless you had been searching and reading about BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-17 07:56 PM
57 123