My keyone won't charge from my cars USB port. My headunit is a soundstream VR651B. My friends android phone charges fine as does my moto G stylus. So I know it's not my stereos USB port.

My keyone will change for a few seconds then stop. It changes fine with its home charger and the cigarette lighter socket charger as when that worked in my other car. What would cause this? Is there something I can or need to do to my key one to get it to charge through the USB port?
    09-19-21 12:03 PM
    It's possible the car stereo's USB port doesn't put out enough current to charge the K1, even if it barely put out enough to charge the other phones. The official USB spec is only 0.5A at 5V, which isn't enough to charge most modern phones, but even if the stereo's output is suppose to be 1A at 5V, it may actually not be outputting that much. Maybe it's only delivering 0.8A, and that might not be enough to trip the circuit in the phone that it's getting enough current to charge.

It could also be that you've got some pocket lint in the phone's charging port that's preventing the cable from seating all the way, or a bad cable, or a bad port on the phone, though the last one isn't common. Anyway, there's nothing in the phone's software setup that's going to make any difference, so if it's not the cable or the port, then you're out of luck.
    09-19-21 04:39 PM
    It's possible the car stereo's USB port doesn't put out enough current to charge the K1, even if it barely put out enough to charge the other phones. The official USB spec is only 0.5A at 5V, which isn't enough to charge most modern phones, but even if the stereo's output is suppose to be 1A at 5V, it may actually not be outputting that much. Maybe it's only delivering 0.8A, and that might not be enough to trip the circuit in the phone that it's getting enough current to charge.

It could also be that you've got some pocket lint in the phone's charging port that's preventing the cable from seating all the way, or a bad cable, or a bad port on the phone, though the last one isn't common. Anyway, there's nothing in the phone's software setup that's going to make any difference, so if it's not the cable or the port, then you're out of luck.
    Spot on, it amazes me how many (modern) cars USB will not charge a modern phone......guess it all depends on what modern......like what is is...LOL
    09-20-21 03:34 PM
    Spot on, it amazes me how many (modern) cars USB will not charge a modern phone......guess it all depends on what modern......like what is is...LOL

Things are changing way to fast these days.... and cars have a much longer life cycle than phones.

But let's hope with the new EV... they keep reverse charging in mind. Might can get another half mile off a good phone charge
    09-20-21 03:55 PM
    Things are changing way to fast these days.... and cars have a much longer life cycle than phones.

But let's hope with the new EV... they keep reverse charging in mind. Might can get another half mile off a good phone charge
    Attached Thumbnails Keyone won't change via car stereo USB port?-th.gif  
    09-22-21 02:34 PM