I hope you realize that is a terrible comparison... Different OS, less advanced apps, ect......
    There's always bound to be differences in comparisons.

The point is stated in the first sentence. There's a distinct difference in launching apps vs using them. I can launch apps all day till my heart's content. Lag will bring you back to reality once you start using something heavy. For example, if you tried playing one of those launched games on both phones you would see the difference.
    TGR1 and BBfishingaddict like this.
    05-10-17 12:23 PM
    Okie dokie...
    05-10-17 12:25 PM
    Yes! Yes I have! Every single one!
    So you must have owned more than 500 mobiles....only Samsung For example had 56 new models in 2014...
    So you have spend about 4 days with each model.... I m very curious how you could reach any conclusions....
    05-10-17 12:39 PM
    So you must have owned more than 500 mobiles....only Samsung For example had 56 new models in 2014...
    So you have spend about 4 days with each model.... I m very curious how you could reach any conclusions....
    Sarcasm bypasses you clearly.
    05-10-17 01:19 PM
    All in all the KeyOne did pretty darn well, but for the wifi test just shy of about the half way point. It looked to significantly underperform the S8 on that capability. That said, I do not really understand what that means, what that test was showing me. Could someone expand upon that issue for me? I am considering the KeyOne to replace my old BB Bold that finally died. Thank you.
    Chris Townsend3 likes this.
    05-10-17 01:23 PM
    The KEYone held it's own against the spec loaded S8...

Apps opened a bit faster overall on the S8 but we are talking nano seconds here. The KEYone actually out preformed the S8 as far as memory management goes as the S8, with more RAM, had to reload apps from memory more times than the KEYone did...
    05-10-17 01:35 PM
    Sarcasm bypasses you clearly.
    I should write exactly the same.....
    05-10-17 01:38 PM
    I agree, looked pretty good, but could someone please address my specific question about that one speed test I mentioned a couple posts up? Thanks.
    05-10-17 01:46 PM
    All in all the KeyOne did pretty darn well, but for the wifi test just shy of about the half way point. It looked to significantly underperform the S8 on that capability. That said, I do not really understand what that means, what that test was showing me. Could someone expand upon that issue for me? I am considering the KeyOne to replace my old BB Bold that finally died. Thank you.
    Just go to speedtest.net and you'll see. It just tests the speed of your internet connection.

Personally, I think dslreports speed test is a better test suite since it doesn't piggyback a CDN, nor does it exist to make an ISP look good, and it uses HTML5 by default.
    Last edited by mister2d; 05-10-17 at 04:00 PM.
    05-10-17 02:20 PM
    two different display technology: Merc is LCD, if you tilt (as the shot of video from an angle), the back light is not directly go through the cell, but you see a oblique angle of the color cell. LCD monitors: colours and viewing angle effect
    S8 is OLED, that emitting the light with much wider angular range. therefore, when you shot with an angle, you still capture the brightness of the display. http://www.nature.com/nphoton/journa...n.2010.32.html
    As a user, normally looking at the display near normal incidence, i wouldn't too worry about the dim... at least not to me. I would more worry about degradation of the oled specific color or moisture sensitivity... etc. etc.
    05-10-17 03:26 PM
    I agree, looked pretty good, but could someone please address my specific question about that one speed test I mentioned a couple posts up? Thanks.
    That's just wifi throughout. The KEYone still does great.
    05-10-17 03:32 PM
    S8 is so slow with snapdragon 835! Keyone seems like faster!

Posted via CB10
    05-10-17 04:24 PM
    S8 is so slow with snapdragon 835! Keyone seems like faster!

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I agree.. The issue with the S8 (and all Samsung phones for that matter) is they are loaded to the hilt with so much bloat, crap and duplicate services running that they need higher specs just to keep the pace with lowered spec phones. Spec warriors never consider this though.. They look at the data sheet and not real world usage..
    05-10-17 04:28 PM
    I wish the AMOLED of my Priv was in the KeyOne. That would be a perfect device for me. Hoping there is a KeyOne 2.

But my general experience with Samsung phones is that they are pretty slow, especially after a few months. My S6 was almost unusable after a few months. Terrible.

My S7 fared much better. But given its specs, it is incredible that it doesn't run too much better than my Priv. Samsung's hardware is gorgeous though.
    05-10-17 04:48 PM
    KeyOne performance seems fine to me for how I plan on using it. Display is dimmer but since I won't be twofisting a KeyONE and S8 I'm not sure I'll notice.

Good stuff. Hopefully they'll continue to tweak the software and eke out the maximum performance. Personally, I know I'll be in line if a KeyTWO ever makes it to market so not terribly concerned about CPU and 'futureproofing', lol.
    05-10-17 06:25 PM
    Pretty impressive actually. For those talking about playing heavy games that might be faster on S8, we'll isn't that what they S8 is all about? Games and play time? KEYone is a productivity phone for those that like PKB.
    The spec debate outside of gaming just became one sided.
    05-10-17 06:55 PM
    Pretty impressive actually. For those talking about playing heavy games that might be faster on S8, we'll isn't that what they S8 is all about? Games and play time? KEYone is a productivity phone for those that like PKB.
    The spec debate outside of gaming just became one sided.
    Yeah, I don't get the gaming thing on a PKB to be honest. YouTube, other media, music, multi-tasking, browsing, etc... Oh Yeah, and if it lags under that usage there's a problem.

GTA? No, why on earth would anyone that wants to game on a phone get a PKB?
    05-10-17 07:06 PM
    Two different devices with different processors, end of the story.
    Let's look on blackberry Pearl 8100 and blackberry 10

Posted via CB10
    And two different prices
    05-10-17 09:05 PM
    Impressed with the KEYone compared to the S8. As for the display differences, it looks like he jumped up the display on the S8 to maximum just after boot up and didn't do the same for the KEYone. Happened right at the beginning of the video from what I could see.
    05-10-17 10:27 PM
    KEYone vs Samsung S8
    BOOT UP: time comparisons are like comparing blackberries to run of the mill droids
    The KEYone is doing its security integrity test thing at boot time, is it not?
    That's a good Thing, a great thing in fact.
    That means the KEYone is doing much more behind the scenes work right off the bat.
    RESPONSIVENESS: Otherwise both are effectively equivalent response times KEYone faster on some....
    DISPLAYS: The reviewer fully brightened the samsung (at 30s mark), but not the KEYone.
    Samsung wallpaper (user selectable on both devices) is very bright,
    while the BlackBerry wallpaper is a dark one.
    A real BlackBerry never looks that dark on boot to my eyes.
    STORAGE FULL: (AT 5:11 mark) I see a storage full message on the KEYone...
    did the reviewer jam the device full of stuff...this may affect performance if swapping is occurring, and one is comparing an empty device to a full one.
    05-11-17 12:08 AM
    That's pretty much how fast most stock android is. As we know, S8 has so many bloatwares that the predecessors have never had.
    05-11-17 02:41 AM
    Shock, Horror!
    If you want to play games - buy a Samsung. If you want a communication tool - buy a KeyOne.

I'm devistated. How am I going to find time to spend the £200 I saved by buying the K1 with all those lost milliseconds?
    05-11-17 04:06 AM
    thanks for the comparison. very informative. glad set my heart on Merc instead of S8 (can't afford anyhow). look like Merc is definitely the winner of performance/price. plus the display just better (wondering the redish S8 display due to weak green, yellow color?). 50 degree tilt down viewing angle (as estimated video shot) still got enough brightness and contrast, good LCD. Can't wait for its appearance in NA. thx bb design group. pat on your back... well done. (award wining indeed... did S8 win award? ...Merc definitely is a hot dog ;-)
    Last edited by stlabrat; 05-11-17 at 07:31 AM.
    05-11-17 05:11 AM
    I expected this to be another BB bashing thread.

I'm happily surprised the KEYone is so quick; this is exactly what I want coming from my Classic.

YES, those few microseconds matter very much when trying to get things done on the go.

As noted by others, screen brightness was raised on the G8.

Looking forward to the USA release of the KEYone.
    05-11-17 07:04 AM
    Looks like they're pretty stock and empty. I wonder how different it would be after a solid month of use. Also, as said before, he didn't have the hub set up which may have caused a massive speed boost.

Still, impressive.
    05-11-17 09:21 AM
65 123