Hey there. I want to get a Keyone and I read a lot what is posted in this forum. My biggest concern is the call quality with the phone. I read it's good then read some horror stories. I know people from everywhere post in this forum. Therefore I'm asking the US users of the Keyone what there experience has been with call quality and reception. Thanks.
    11-15-17 03:08 PM
    Hey there. I want to get a Keyone and I read a lot what is posted in this forum. My biggest concern is the call quality with the phone. I read it's good then read some horror stories. I know people from everywhere post in this forum. Therefore I'm asking the US users of the Keyone what there experience has been with call quality and reception. Thanks.
    It might be easier if you narrow it down to where you live, and what carrier you are with.
    11-15-17 03:52 PM
    Hi
    I have a Black Edition Keyone, I got it sent from Canada. I'm in the D.C area and am on T Mobile and haven't had any issues with call quality.
    11-15-17 04:27 PM
    I'm not sure what other folks' problem with this phone are but I quite enjoy it. My version is CDMA and it uses HD Voice when applicable.

The call quality of the phone, on Verizon, is just as good as every other phone I've used. HD Voice makes things even better (but the caller on the other end has to have HD Voice too).

11-15-17 05:17 PM
    Sorry about that I'm in Virginia and I'm on the Sprint network. Thanks for the responses so far.
    11-15-17 05:59 PM
    Picking mine up this weekend. I'm in California.
    11-15-17 06:45 PM
    So far, reception has been ok for me. Not as good as BB10 phones but I haven't had the big problems that other have.
    11-16-17 11:50 AM
    I have t-mobile in Los Angeles, on my black edition, I have service as good as my iPhone X
    11-16-17 11:54 AM
    black as well as regular silver editions, both unlocked using att network, service is fine and a tad better on the bars in my car via Bluetooth than my priv (and black seems a tad better on # of bars showing in car, as well) but actual quality/continuity of signal all seems same from priv to KO silver to KO int'l black edition
    11-16-17 11:59 AM
    Just got the Black Edition a few days ago. Signal comparison between my PRIV and KO in many places of testing reveal the PRIV is doing a little better. Most places, the PRIV has a stronger signal by 3 to 7dbm. Sometimes they tie and very few occasions it will beat the PRIV by 3 to 5dbm. But when compared to my Note 4 and the KO, they are about the same most of the time. And I've been very happy with the reception on the Note 4. Call quality is awesome. It blows the Note 4 away. Very good audio for both receiving and hearing. So far, no dropped calls and everyone had no complaints of my audio when talking with the headset or speaker phone. I had the same concerns as well before purchasing it, but so far all is well and very happy with the Keyone.
    11-16-17 12:35 PM
    I have my Keyone on Verizon, and I get solid reception, even in my house, which is a dead spot for T-Mobile and ATT.

Here is the thing though: If you get it and you are getting call quality complaints, make sure to get a replacement ASAP. I got my first Keyone as a "Like New" refurb from Amazon. The description was that there was only packaging damage. Cool, I'll save $80 bucks for some cardboard. I got all set up, and everything was great, except by the first day my wife was complaining that my reception was bad, like I was going in and out or waving the phone around as I talked. Sometimes it sounded like the phone was filtering the ends of my words or sentences. I thought it was a fluke at first, because I could hear her very very clearly on my end.

I made the mistake of spending the next 3 weeks coming Crackberry and trying every little trick mentioned to improve my reception, as I quickly bought into the theory that the K1 is considered a "grey" device for being BYOD on Verizon. The red herring is that I had maybe 2 calls that worked fine, so I assumed it had to be a reception problem. I tested EVERYWHERE, at every signal strength. I ended up finding a place that had really excellent signal number, and it didn't actually matter. I didn't even have to ask people if it was bad, because after the first thing I said, people would instantly be asking me to repeat myself. I also spent a lot of time on the phone with Verizon support, with the end result of, "We have done literally everything we can. This is either a hardware issue or the phone won't work for you." I loved the phone though, everything else worked as I wanted, so I actually waited until 3 days PAST my return cutoff date with Amazon trying to save it.

Then I lucked out and noticed that sometimes when testing a call on speaker (A routine part of tests, but one that most VZW reps will be OK with skipping if you say you have already done it. Goes to show that proper troubleshooting can be a pain, but you can never trust the guy who worked on it before you) none of my speech was picked up on the other end. Instead, it was a dull roaring or distortion sound. Well, at least now I know SOMETHING on it was broken, so I decided to get a replacement K1 instead of a different phone. Amazon helped me out on the return period and shipping because I had been working on the problem since I got the phone, and because they sold me an alleged packaging damage only phone that had probably actually been a full on return / refurb for the same problem. The replacement was new out of the factory.

So my new K1 comes, and confirms my suspicions about the refurb - there were a few decals and packaging items just slightly different or missing. Right off the bat, just handling the phone, I can feel the difference. The first K1 felt fine. The new one's keyboard felt tighter, didn't have almost painfully hard edges around the button and back panel, the fit and finish was just a little step beyond. I probably only noticed this as I had both phones still at that point.

To end my long story, I get up and running, and everything works fine. No one complains about call quality anymore, whether I am in the office, at home, on the road, or whatever. I've also had 0 dropped calls. The old K1 didn't drop a ton of calls, but it did drop 2-3 during the 5 weeks I had it. I now have 2 theories: Early run K1s had poor quality engineering and assurance, which explains how some reviewers describe the phone's build as cheap feeling and others described it as good quality, and how some are having horrible call problems and others are just fine, and the whole screen lift thing; or, and this is gonna sound crazy but bear with me - An odd design choice results in users breaking the phone early. On the top of the K1, to the right of the headphone jack, is a rectangular lined area that is probably antenna related. Offset to the right a bit is a little pinhole microphone. The area LOOKS like it is supposed to slide out, and that little mic hole is JUST the right size for a sim tray opening tool. In fact, when I brought my first K1 to a Verizon store, I think the kid asked if that WAS the SIM tray. Unfortunately I was involved in a more interesting conversation with my wife, so I told him I wasn't sure, but it probably was if there wasn't a more likely spot on the side.

I didn't watch the kid and would have jammed the sim opening tool right into that hole on the replacement, except that the replacement had a little decal showing that sticking things in that particular hole is a VERY BAD THING TO DO in iconography design. That little decal wasn't with my first K1. So my second theory is that a certain number of people smash or short the tiny mic (especially if early phones didn't have that graphic), shrug, and find the actual tray, rendering the top mic dead or unreliable.

Anyway, hope that helped. I signed up just to tell everyone this story because so many people were dedicated to finding ways to make things work. In this case, try a replacement if you have problems.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-30-17 01:31 PM
    I have the space black with att in VA and I have no reception problems.
    12-01-17 02:48 AM
    Black edition 64gb, the best call quality I had on any cell phone. I am on Mintsim. Reception is great as well.
    12-01-17 06:23 AM
    Texas San Antonio area and travel all over and my black K1 has been amazing for call quality on T-Mobile and wifi calling both are crystal clear best of any phone ive had even when I dont have a lot of bars
    12-01-17 08:36 AM
    I am from the Tennessee area. My reception and call quality has been great. It is definitely adequate for where I live. Call quality and reception is better than the PRIV that I owned previously. Well worth the jump.
    12-01-17 02:38 PM
    I live in dallas Texas and have the space black edition from att and the reception is fine for me I haven't dropped any calls
    12-01-17 03:32 PM
    I have a dual report from Upstate NY. I was on H20 ( AT&T MVNO) and it was amazing on my Passport. Then I got the Keyone as a birthday present. Figured "great, throw the sim in, itll be amazing too". yeeeah, no. Signal was actually kind of weak, especially inside the metal building where I work. But since H20 had decided to throttle my data speed, and remove 2 out of 8 gigs from my monthly data, I decided to switch. So now im on MetroPCS. And oddly enough, I have signal more like I did on the Passport. And Wifi Calling after a bit of work.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-02-17 11:20 AM
    keyone silver bbb100-1 on mintsim (ultra) aka t-mobile mvno works better then the same Sim in my passport or my nextbit robin. I'm in the US in northern newjersey
    12-02-17 10:07 PM