I believe all is finally fixed. Cautiously optimistic anyways. I was having the same constant dropped calls and actually would have the phone constantly disconnect from BT. After non-stop impairing, I made my post above. However I hadn't unpaired after the update. So once I did this again, all seems well. Again, cautiously optimistic. I've made about 5-6 calls and a few hours of streaming in the car and all seems fine. Meta date is all good again for music also. Keeping fingers crossed.
    08-05-17 05:27 PM
    Can you tell me what this does to your phone! I'm on T-Mobile and curious what this does or should do.
    I'm on T-Mobile too. You won't get notifications from a majority of your apps. System apps, your texting app, most Google apps, Facebook and maybe a few other apps are not affected. The only workaround at the moment is to leave affected apps open in the background. They will close automatically eventually, just reopen them to be sure.

Personally I leave my news apps, ESPN, Twitter and The Weather Channel open.
    08-05-17 05:32 PM
    Thought I posted an update, but I think the hotlink I threw in made it go to a moderation queue.

The steps I outlined don't resolve the core problem. They fix something, because earlier, hitting "Clear All" wiped out all foreground apps and their background processes. After running those steps, it's more intermittent. NWS Now pretty much stays running regardless, but K9 still gets taken out sometimes. Ditto for some of the other apps I have installed.

Currently trying to research into using Tasker to detect when K9 dies and then restart it, but Android 7.x's new security/permissions changes limit what Tasker can do. E.g., it's no longer possible to detect if a specific background process is running without root. I can get it to re-launch K9 when K9 exits, then use another simple app to switch back to the previous active app. Kinda hacky, but it works.

Also have to deal with Android periodically murdering Tasker itself when I hit "Clear All". Seems to work better if I disable Tasker's foreground notifications, so that if Tasker itself dies, the background "Monitor" service auto-restarts. Then add a 'Profile' to run when Monitor service starts back up to execute some action (which is where I am currently stuck).
    08-05-17 05:38 PM
    Thought I posted an update, but I think the hotlink I threw in made it go to a moderation queue.

The steps I outlined don't resolve the core problem. They fix something, because earlier, hitting "Clear All" wiped out all foreground apps and their background processes. After running those steps, it's more intermittent. NWS Now pretty much stays running regardless, but K9 still gets taken out sometimes. Ditto for some of the other apps I have installed.

Currently trying to research into using Tasker to detect when K9 dies and then restart it, but Android 7.x's new security/permissions changes limit what Tasker can do. E.g., it's no longer possible to detect if a specific background process is running without root. I can get it to re-launch K9 when K9 exits, then use another simple app to switch back to the previous active app. Kinda hacky, but it works.

Also have to deal with Android periodically murdering Tasker itself when I hit "Clear All". Seems to work better if I disable Tasker's foreground notifications, so that if Tasker itself dies, the background "Monitor" service auto-restarts. Then add a 'Profile' to run when Monitor service starts back up to execute some action (which is where I am currently stuck).
    There was a thread in one of the one plus models where they had a similar issue with notifications that were being silenced due to Doze. Someone had written a script to disable doze so I'm not sure if it's relatable.
    08-05-17 06:23 PM
    There was a thread in one of the one plus models where they had a similar issue with notifications that were being silenced due to Doze. Someone had written a script to disable doze so I'm not sure if it's relatable.
    From what I've read, you can only tweak Doze settings (not sure if it can be completely disabled) on a rooted device. It looks like BB/BBM are using SELinux on this thing, so odds are virtually non-existent that it'll ever get rooted.

I also don't think Doze is at fault here, at least directly. Doze apparently only kicks in after the device has had its screen off for some time, and the motion sensors haven't detected any motion. The issue is something more core to how Android manages processes and reclaims memory. Running idle for too long, Android will reap the oldest processes. Ditto if swiping from Recent Apps.

The difference that seems to be affecting people here is the level of aggressiveness of the reaping. Rather than taking out one or two apps, BBM's post-June build of Android is nuking the entire site from orbit. And then de-orbiting the nearby moon into the planet for added kicks. Android's got a *ton* of build knobs that alter its behaviour after its compiled. BBM tweaked something in the June and/or July updates that caused this. Let's just hope w/ that new support center app, they learn of their mistake and have the devs go back and change whatever knob they adjusted back to what it was pre-June.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    08-05-17 06:41 PM

The difference that seems to be affecting people here is the level of aggressiveness of the reaping. Rather than taking out one or two apps, BBM's post-June build of Android is nuking the entire site from orbit. And then de-orbiting the nearby moon into the planet for added kicks. Android's got a *ton* of build knobs that alter its behaviour after its compiled. BBM tweaked something in the June and/or July updates that caused this. Let's just hope w/ that new support center app, they learn of their mistake and have the devs go back and change whatever knob they adjusted back to what it was pre-June.
    We need an app opposite of greenify lol
    08-05-17 07:17 PM
    From what I've read, you can only tweak Doze settings (not sure if it can be completely disabled) on a rooted device. It looks like BB/BBM are using SELinux on this thing, so odds are virtually non-existent that it'll ever get rooted.

I also don't think Doze is at fault here, at least directly. Doze apparently only kicks in after the device has had its screen off for some time, and the motion sensors haven't detected any motion. The issue is something more core to how Android manages processes and reclaims memory. Running idle for too long, Android will reap the oldest processes. Ditto if swiping from Recent Apps.

But... but... but... BlackBerry is a software company now... with the smartest software CEO in the world!

How could this happen?

Your description makes loads of sense.

It's just sad that BlackBerry doesn't have the core competencies now to compete in johnny's fantasy world.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    08-05-17 08:18 PM
    everyday I miss a notification is a day I get more and more pissed @ RIM
    08-05-17 09:03 PM
    But... but... but... BlackBerry is a software company now... with the smartest software CEO in the world!

How could this happen?

Your description makes loads of sense.

It's just sad that BlackBerry doesn't have the core competencies now to compete in johnny's fantasy world.
    Random thought I had, with no evidence to support it. The Black KeyOne gets released with an additional 1GB of RAM. What's the possibility that the July update accidentally included changes that expect this extra 1GB? Load that onto a device w/ 3GB, not 4GB, and you might wind up with an Android that's way more aggressive in nuking apps to reclaim memory. It's still looking for that extra 1GB, which it'll never find, no matter how many apps it takes out.

I've already had this thing take down NetGuard several times. Handy app that runs a local VPN tunnel to apply a firewall without needing root. All throughout the June update (AAL964), I never had that service get terminated. Yet it's died about four times today, once when I opened another app up. So definitely something going on with the memory/app manager. Missing notifications are just the most visible aspect of this bug, but are not the root cause.

In any event, I think I'll have to check into one of these autoloaders to reload AAL964 (and make changes to not wipe the user data out) and see if I can revert back to a build that actually works.
    08-05-17 09:40 PM
    K9 is broken. I too first suspected that android doze is preventing imap idle push mail from working. And maybe it is android which is reaping k9's connections.

But that's only because k9's imap idle implementation is using too many timers / network connections / other resources. Proof for this is aqua mail, which still provides working imap idle push email on andoid 7. (Of course it has to be excluded from that bat optimizations, yes...)

Greetings,
    "Just-switched-from-k9-to-aqua-mail"

PS: As for "the notification issue", I think there's at least two different issues which affect this:

1. Android doze and app standby's more aggressive behaviour. Like k9, there seems to be a million other apps out there, which try to wake up regularly at an interval smaller than 15 minutes using standard android timers or use other resources to heavily (in the humble opinion of android). But android won't let them. If the app relies on such a scheme for notifications, it's implemented badly. For this issue, you can blame the app maker or at best google.

2. Many apps seem to modify their notifications shortly after they are issued. An example seems to be the calendar app. The problem: The app issues a notification which has sound with it. 1 millisecond later the app issues an update to that notification, which does not have sound.

However, the soundless update of the notification still cancels the original notification's sound, thus leaving you without sound at all. This can also affect for example email apps, if upon a mailbox check, the email app finds a new mail and issues a notification and then finds another new email and updates the notification. Also in this case you won't get notification sound. (I found out about these when using tasker's notification listener plugin and inspecting the run log each time I got a notification without sound...)

My workaround for the latter case is to have tasker play a notification sound whenever you get a notifiation from that app. It ain't pretty but it works, since it's not affected by updates to that notification.
    Last edited by lobstaj; 08-06-17 at 02:24 AM.
    08-06-17 01:55 AM
    has anyone else's support tickets been answered? mine hasn't.
    08-06-17 05:55 AM
    still waiting for this update in the UK (England to be specific) . I won't hold my breath though! I only got the July update two days ago and we are in August now!
    08-06-17 07:40 AM
    has anyone else's support tickets been answered? mine hasn't.
    I got a reply back saying they are working on the issue and will be rectified on a future update.
    08-06-17 09:16 AM
    Mine went through just fine.
    Well NOW it does, but on the day I got the update it didn't work.
    08-06-17 09:39 AM
    This times a thousand.

Here's the tool: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...-tool-1117513/

And if anyone volunteers, please make sure to try the edit suggested in post 38 of the linked thread.
    Still need this? If yes, can you give me a brief description of the process? Is it only if you have it available but haven't downloaded yet or if it's already installed?
    08-06-17 09:46 AM
    I disabled the support app does anyone know how to re-enable?
    08-06-17 09:49 AM
    It's insulting that BB Mobile hasn't posted here with an update on this issue.
    08-06-17 11:33 AM
    Superciliousness filters down throughout the organization from the top to the working level... This is epic and long-standing.
    08-06-17 11:57 AM
    K9 is broken. I too first suspected that android doze is preventing imap idle push mail from working. And maybe it is android which is reaping k9's connections.

But that's only because k9's imap idle implementation is using too many timers / network connections / other resources. Proof for this is aqua mail, which still provides working imap idle push email on andoid 7. (Of course it has to be excluded from that bat optimizations, yes...)
    It's somewhat K9's fault. They have an open issue on github on how to deal with Doze:
    https://github.com/k9mail/k-9/issues/857

I generally don't have a problem with receiving mail on K9. Sometimes, I'll get the pushed messages, other times, it'll find new mail when it polls the server. There is definitely an issue with Android reaping the processes and K9's background service. It wasn't bad in AAL964, but BBM definitely changed something that dialed up the aggressiveness in AAM481/AAN355 that isn't helping. I'd be fine with it killing the foreground process and leaving the background service alone, but from what I've read in Android, unless you do some extra work, most background service threads are initiated (and thus, tied) to their parent foreground process. So when the parent dies, so does its child.

Greetings,
    "Just-switched-from-k9-to-aqua-mail"

PS: As for "the notification issue", I think there's at least two different issues which affect this:

1. Android doze and app standby's more aggressive behaviour. Like k9, there seems to be a million other apps out there, which try to wake up regularly at an interval smaller than 15 minutes using standard android timers or use other resources to heavily (in the humble opinion of android). But android won't let them. If the app relies on such a scheme for notifications, it's implemented badly. For this issue, you can blame the app maker or at best google.
    I suspect a lot of this does deal with the apps, likely a result of them trying to support backwards compatibility with older Android releases versus supporting the newer capabilities in Android 6+ (when Doze was apparently added). That said, I do have to cast blame on Google for their aggressive development cycle on most of their products. But, this is the fad that a lot of modern software projects have adopted. Fast release cycles, high version numbers, and zero qualms about breaking things for users who like to stick with what they know.

2. Many apps seem to modify their notifications shortly after they are issued. An example seems to be the calendar app. The problem: The app issues a notification which has sound with it. 1 millisecond later the app issues an update to that notification, which does not have sound.

However, the soundless update of the notification still cancels the original notification's sound, thus leaving you without sound at all. This can also affect for example email apps, if upon a mailbox check, the email app finds a new mail and issues a notification and then finds another new email and updates the notification. Also in this case you won't get notification sound. (I found out about these when using tasker's notification listener plugin and inspecting the run log each time I got a notification without sound...)

My workaround for the latter case is to have tasker play a notification sound whenever you get a notifiation from that app. It ain't pretty but it works, since it's not affected by updates to that notification.
    I was hoping to use Tasker to detect when K9's background service was no longer running, then re-launch it. But as of Android 7, they blocked off the ability to check for running processes without root access. So the Tasker plugin that can do this won't work for me. I've got a buggy profile setup that does catch a few cases of where K9's service gets shutdown (as an exit task) and it can relaunch it there. But then you get K9 jumping into the foreground on you rather unexpectedly. I found another bad hack that uses a small app called "Last App Switcher" to fire after executing K9, but it's hit-or-miss and sometimes doesn't return me to the previous app.

I'll have to load AquaMail up and play around with it. The key question is whether it's resilient to Android's aggressive reaping on this Blackberry release or not. K9 has been my main client because it supports plain-text e-mails. Some of the messages I write get mangled if I use the default HTML format. Everything was better in 7-bit ASCII...
    08-06-17 01:05 PM
    Can we please get back on topic here? This thread isn't about K9, some antiquated Android email app. This is about this bizarre update and its failure to fix a litney of long standing issues, most notibly the notification background app issue.
    mbirth likes this.
    08-07-17 06:46 AM
    Only work around that I have found for some applications is to keep a widget open on some page not used further down the line this being the cause of maintaining the notification active but this is not always continuously effective and sometimes requires the widget to be closed and reopened. This may be a BlackBerry problem or it may be an Android problem. As far as I'm concerned it's immaterial. The problem is simply that here we have with supposed to be a premium phone with better functionality than the alleged flagship priv and now we have this kind of pedestrian problem that it behooves a general user to be free of when dealing with the so-called software company with so-called capability that is expected to attract government and Industry to its fantastic capacity to assure security and what not. Fakery is fakery. I don't want to wizard in charge of my security. I don't want a street magician in charge of my personal cell phone. If it were not for the physical keyboard that I require, I would be so gone.
    08-07-17 08:12 AM
    Sad to report Bluetooth issues are still here also after the August update. I was cautiously optimistic as it worked fine for a dew days but as soon as I took my first call today in the car all the old issues come roaring back: multiple disconnects, hang-up, etc. Simply ridiculous.
    BBSinceStart likes this.
    08-08-17 12:49 PM
    Sad to report Bluetooth issues are still here also after the August update. I was cautiously optimistic as it worked fine for a dew days but as soon as I took my first call today in the car all the old issues come roaring back: multiple disconnects, hang-up, etc. Simply ridiculous.
    So strange. I've used 2 bluetooth receivers in two different cars and i've never experienced any disconnects or call problems on either of them. However, for ONE of the cars, I do experience constant music streaming choppiness. Which leads me to believe it has to do with the bluetooth devices I am using.

I did read that Android "O" completely overhauls how bluetooth works and it should solve a lot of the problems experienced in Android "N"
    08-08-17 02:51 PM
    I am experiencing the same issues with my 2014 Audi A4 and 2015 Q5.
    08-08-17 06:37 PM
    Tom, since you're on T-Mobile, are you having WiFi calling problems? I have no cell service here, only WiFi. When I boot up the phone WiFi calling only stays active for a few minutes then I get the little "X" in the icon and I miss my calls. It randomly will come on occasionally without a reboot, but most of the time it's off. I have two ISPs here with good low-latency connections. Driving me nuts.
    08-08-17 10:44 PM
144 ... 3456