Dear all,

I bought a used KeyOne Bronce Edition the other day, now I am facing some difficulties while using it:

- during charging the upper rear side of the device is getting quite hot, approxemately more that 50°C
    - the hottest spot is on the rear side in the region between the camera lense and the power button
    - the charging level gets up to approx. 40% and falls down to 2% after trying to start the device
    - after using the KeyOne for about five to ten minutes the device shows a warning that it it getting to hot und turns of after that immediately

I found this picture in the internet (I hope it's okay if I share the links here):

The thump is touching on of the both devices that are getting that hot, the other one is the one left to it.

Any idea which components that would be?
    Any idea how I can fix the overheating problems?

Regards,

Rainer (from Hamburg / Germany)
    Attached Thumbnails KeyOne turns off due to overheating and charging problems-edhxzdpuj6ptbydc.jpg  
    Last edited by Tutur; 11-16-20 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Typo
    11-16-20 04:01 PM
    If you just got it... can you return it?

I'm guessing but I'd say the main chipset - processor and modem are under there. No fixing.
    Tutur likes this.
    11-16-20 04:18 PM
    Dear all,

I bought a used KeyOne Bronce Edition the other day, now I am facing some difficulties while using it:

- during charging the upper rear side of the device is getting quite hot, approxemately more that 50°C
    - the hottest spot is on the rear side in the region between the camera lense and the power button
    - the charging level gets up to approx. 40% and falls down to 2% after trying to start the device
    - after using the KeyOne for about five to ten minutes the device shows a warning that it it getting to hot und turns of after that immediately

I found this picture in the internet (I hope it's okay if I share the links here):

https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.ne...UJ6PTbydC.huge

The thump is touching on of the both devices that are getting that hot, the other one is the one left to it.

Any idea which components that would be?
    Any idea how I can fix the overheating problems?

Regards,

Rainer (from Hamburg / Germany)
    I am assuming that you did a factory reset after you bought the phone?

There won't be anything on the motherboard that you would be able to fix. I would start with making sure you are using the proper charger. Then try cleaning the USB charging port with a toothbrush and air.

Did you ask the seller if he was having this issue and can you ask for your money back?
    Tutur likes this.
    11-16-20 06:26 PM
    Morning all and thank you for your replys!

The seller said in the eBay ad that the KeyOne has thermal issues, so there is no way to give it back.

Seems like a Mainboard replacement is the only option, right?
    11-17-20 12:23 AM
    Morning all and thank you for your replys!

The seller said in the eBay ad that the KeyOne has thermal issues, so there is no way to give it back.

Seems like a Mainboard replacement is the only option, right?
    Did you try cleaning the USB port?

I doubt that you will ever find a motherboard replacement, you'll have to buy another KEYᵒⁿᵉ making sure it's unlocked and then strip it down and install it into the old phone if you really want the bronze....

Money Pit....
    Tutur likes this.
    11-17-20 12:31 AM
    I'll try to clean it later, promised!
    11-17-20 01:01 AM
    You may find something like this, but it is designed to work in your market?

C$ 160.46 | BGBOEF for BlackBerry KEYone Motherboard Original Test 100%
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMyNDYp
    11-17-20 01:02 AM
    Did you try cleaning the USB port?

I doubt that you will ever find a motherboard replacement, you'll have to buy another KEYᵒⁿᵉ making sure it's unlocked and then strip it down and install it into the old phone if you really want the bronze....

Money Pit....
    I cleand the USB connector, but still no change - it's getting hot while charging ...
    11-17-20 04:58 AM
    You may find something like this, but it is designed to work in your market?

C$ 160.46 | BGBOEF for BlackBerry KEYone Motherboard Original Test 100%
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMyNDYp
    I think I will call the TCL support hotline tomorrow, maybe they have any advices.
    11-17-20 04:59 AM
    I cleand the USB connector, but still no change - it's getting hot while charging ...
    Well you could try replacing the whole USB module.... but that isn't where your detecting heat.

Hope the seller priced the phone for parts... and that you didn't pay much for it. And that maybe you can find another phone... maybe damaged display but working phone and combine the parts?
    Tutur likes this.
    11-17-20 08:44 AM
    Well, let's say it was a fair price.
    It was declared as faulty, so it was my risk in the end.
    As the Bronce Edition supports two SIM cards I doubt using a "standard" Mainboard will work ...
    Last edited by Tutur; 11-18-20 at 06:04 AM.
    11-17-20 10:30 AM
    Well, let's say it was a fair price.
    It was declared as faulty, so it was my risk in the und.
    As the Bronce Edition supports two SIM cards I doubt using a "standard" Mainboard will work ...
    Let us know if you actually find any support from TCL... BBmobile basically closed up shop months ago.
    Tutur likes this.
    11-17-20 08:51 PM
    Let us know if you actually find any support from TCL... BBmobile basically closed up shop months ago.
    What a positive surprise!

I just called the TCL support hotline in Germany about the overheating problem with my recently bought BronceEdition.
    The service staff told me that those issues with the Mainboard are well known.
    They will open an incident ticket, I can send it back to them (free of charge) and they'll try to fix it ...

https://www.tclcom.com/bb/hotline-and-service-center/

Let's see how the story will go on. You will hear from me again!

Rainer
    11-18-20 05:38 AM
    Status: ticket opened, RMA process started .... now I waiting for the free off charge shipping details ...
    11-19-20 02:55 AM
    11-21-20 12:52 PM
    Got the information from TCL yesterday that the Keyone has an mainboard issue, as I already assumed. It can be fixed (for a reasonable price), but this is not covered by the warranty (failure after massive drop).
    Anyway, I will have a working device in a few days, I think I will go for the repair.
    bh7171 likes this.
    11-25-20 01:16 AM
    Got the information from TCL yesterday that the Keyone has an mainboard issue, as I already assumed. It can be fixed (for a reasonable price), but this is not covered by the warranty (failure after massive drop).
    Anyway, I will have a working device in a few days, I think I will go for the repair.
    It might help others in a similar situation, what you view as a reasonable price..... That way they have an "idea" without going through all of this.
    11-25-20 12:49 PM
    Well ... 187 € including shipping (two times), diagnostics and service fee.
    Not really a bargain, but it is acceptable for me.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    11-27-20 09:58 AM
    Well ... 187 € including shipping (two times), diagnostics and service fee.
    Not really a bargain, but it is acceptable for me.
    If your OK with it... that's all that matters.

Thanks for posting as that might help someone else.
    11-30-20 02:11 PM