From what I've seen on the net & here, Android does not allow individual contacts to be assigned a different tone for Text alerts. (Sigh, oh for BB10...)

I see you can customize the call alert in the Contact itself.

So, anyone up on Android to recommend a good third party app to do this?

Much appreciated,
    06-21-17 07:40 PM
    If you're using the stock Messages app, try this on for size. Open the Messages app. Open a conversation. Tap the 3-dots at top right and go to People and Options. Tap Notification sound, and choose the tone you want for that person. That should do it.
    lilmisschris94 likes this.
    06-21-17 10:53 PM
    Found it...

Much appreciated!
    06-22-17 06:11 PM
    Great. Glad you're sorted.
    06-22-17 06:19 PM
    Still doesn't go back to the hub when you press the back button. Use Yaata or Textra instead.
    06-22-17 07:54 PM
    I used this method too (with the help of a tame teenager). One important thing is to close the contact after you set their unique tone, which triggers it to save the change (duh). I think I've got almost all the features I loved on my Passport set!
    06-23-17 10:18 AM
    another vote for textra!

customize the tone plus the led for your important people!
    06-23-17 10:20 AM
    Textra is the best.
    06-23-17 10:25 AM
    Still doesn't go back to the hub when you press the back button. Use Yaata or Textra instead.
    After the Hub update I received last night, yes it does. Even before that, it was two taps on the back button to take me back to the Hub. Not a big deal for me.
    06-23-17 10:31 AM
    Just an FYI for those who may not have caught the update to the stock Messenger because they're using another SMS app -- that stock app now supports RCS. (https://www.androidcentral.com/what-...ortant-android)

Aside from the carriers listed in that article, my carrier (Rogers in CA) supports RCS. So, I've reverted back to the stock messenger for now.
    06-23-17 10:38 AM
    After the Hub update I received last night, yes it does. Even before that, it was two taps on the back button to take me back to the Hub. Not a big deal for me.
    Oh ok, that's good to know. I've since switched to Yaata Pro so didn't know about any changes in that.

With Yaata I can fully customize the color scheme, even individually per contact, I made the incoming text bubbles for my wife and other close friends to be of different color. Different LED color and blink rate per contact as well. Whether an incoming text puts an icon in the status bar or not and just like everything else, custom colors for individual contacts. Change the behavior or chat heads, set who will have a pop up or chat head and who will have nothing, it even uses the t for top and b for bottom keyboard shortcut while scrolling around, lol. I really like it's level of customization. Haven't looked back at the stock app since.
    06-23-17 10:44 AM
    Oh ok, that's good to know. I've since switched to Yaata Pro so didn't know about any changes in that.

With Yaata I can fully customize the color scheme, even individually per contact, I made the incoming text bubbles for my wife and other close friends to be of different color. Different LED color and blink rate per contact as well. Whether an incoming text puts an icon in the status bar or not and just like everything else, custom colors for individual contacts. Change the behavior or chat heads, set who will have a pop up or chat head and who will have nothing, it even uses the t for top and b for bottom keyboard shortcut while scrolling around, lol. I really like it's level of customization. Haven't looked back at the stock app since.
    Wow. Your SMS alert requirements are quite complex, compared to mine. I only have 4 SMS/MMS contacts left. BBM and Hangouts cover almost all of my messaging.
    06-23-17 11:28 AM
    Wow. Your SMS alert requirements are quite complex, compared to mine. I only have 4 SMS/MMS contacts left. BBM and Hangouts cover almost all of my messaging.
    I don't even have hangouts, whatsapp, or any of that installed. I have BBM but only for one group that is still active. Everyone else I use text because everyone I know has text. I'm not about to download 15 different messenger apps to cover what all of my friends might use. I know they have text as it's included in pretty much all plans, so it's that or nothing, lol.

Heck, I even uninstalled Facebook Messenger. Just use Facebook Lite now as messages can go through that app...
    06-23-17 11:34 AM
    I don't even have hangouts, whatsapp, or any of that installed. I have BBM but only for one group that is still active. Everyone else I use text because everyone I know has text. I'm not about to download 15 different messenger apps to cover what all of my friends might use. I know they have text as it's included in pretty much all plans, so it's that or nothing, lol.

Heck, I even uninstalled Facebook Messenger. Just use Facebook Lite now as messages can go through that app...
    facebook messenger lite is great! (only 13mb!).. i use chrome for my facebook, amazon, ebay, and other social media needs... definitely saves space and memory!
    06-23-17 11:47 AM
    Oh, wasn't talking about facebook messenger lite, just facebook lite. That app by itself takes care of facebook and the messages all in one app.
    06-23-17 11:56 AM
    Oh, wasn't talking about facebook messenger lite, just facebook lite. That app by itself takes care of facebook and the messages all in one app.
    yeah, I know.. I was just saying I just have messenger lite installed and use facebook thru chrome

i tried facebook lite for a while and i like the facebook experience better thru chrome and just have messenger lite installed
    06-23-17 02:10 PM
    yeah, I know.. I was just saying I just have messenger lite installed and use facebook thru chrome

i tried facebook lite for a while and i like the facebook experience better thru chrome and just have messenger lite installed
    Oh ok, thought you were under the impression I was talking about facebook messenger lite. :-) I just wanted a simple way to just see everything in one place.
    06-23-17 02:13 PM