But my initial response that started all this remains valid. Essential can push the updates without Sprint's approval or infrastructure - much like the KEYᵒⁿᵉ on Verizon (that got timely updates).

I made a simple one-sentence statement, on which I was taken to task. It was not my intent to expend any effort or provide a smokescreen.
    But that's not true. Sprint does have the ability to control the updates (and so does Telus) on the Essential phone. Whether it's unlocked or 'branded' has nothing to do with it.

Unfortunately, repeating inaccurate information doesn't make it any more correct...
    07-31-18 06:03 PM
    But that's not true. Sprint does have the ability to control the updates (and so does Telus) on the Essential phone. Whether it's unlocked or 'branded' has nothing to do with it.

Unfortunately, repeating inaccurate information doesn't make it any more correct...
    Wow. Didn't know this was going to turn into a project.

Sprint has the same builds, and there are tons of workarounds to get the updates without Sprint - just like the Verizon KEYᵒⁿᵉ. However, the Sprint KEYᵒⁿᵉ has a specific Sprint-only, fully-branded build and there is no other way to get it other than waiting for Sprint. This is the fundamental difference.

Just like the non-Sprint, non-AT&T, non-China KEYᵒⁿᵉs - you can put any KEYᵒⁿᵉ OS you want on them (including all other "carrier" phones). But those 3 are fully branded and need to wait for their respective carriers - they won't accept ANY other OS builds.
    07-31-18 06:13 PM

Sprint has the same builds, and there are tons of workarounds to get the updates without Sprint - just like the Verizon KEYᵒⁿᵉ. However, the Sprint KEYᵒⁿᵉ has a specific Sprint-only, fully-branded build and there is no other way to get it other than waiting for Sprint. This is the fundamental difference.

Just like the non-Sprint, non-AT&T, non-China KEYᵒⁿᵉs - you can put any KEYᵒⁿᵉ OS you want on them (including all other "carrier" phones). But those 3 are fully branded and need to wait for their respective carriers - they won't accept ANY other OS builds.
    Conite,

Do you recommend carrier brand blackberry over factory unlocked? I used to only buy factory unlocked but I had no choice when I switched to sprint.
    07-31-18 07:20 PM

It simply doesn't make any sense for you to continue to credit Essential for Sprint's timely release of updates for that phone, when Sprint obviously decides when/if the updates will get pushed out to it. Whether or not the exact OS build is specific to Sprint, or whether or not the phone is network locked, etc. is irrelevant. I only brought up the Essential build issue because you seemed to be suggesting there were no carrier specific builds of the Essential device (which there are) and that was how Essential could push the updates through directly to their devices irrespective of the carriers (also false).

The real difference here is I'm not bending over backwards trying to make excuses for BlackBerry. If Sprint or any other carrier sits on BlackBerry updates but not those of other OEMs, that clearly is a problem for BlackBerry and it's customers - like it or lump it.
    07-31-18 07:30 PM
    Conite,

Do you recommend carrier brand blackberry over factory unlocked? I used to only buy factory unlocked but I had no choice when I switched to sprint.
    Depends on your budget as carriers offer deals in exchange for contracts.

But all else being equal, factory-unlocked is always better.
    07-31-18 08:03 PM
    It simply doesn't make any sense for you to continue to credit Essential for Sprint's timely release of updates for that phone, when Sprint obviously decides when/if the updates will get pushed out to it. Whether or not the exact OS build is specific to Sprint, or whether or not the phone is network locked, etc. is irrelevant. I only brought up the Essential build issue because you seemed to be suggesting there were no carrier specific builds of the Essential device (which there are) and that was how Essential could push the updates through directly to their devices irrespective of the carriers (also false).

The real difference here is I'm not bending over backwards trying to make excuses for BlackBerry. If Sprint or any other carrier sits on BlackBerry updates but not those of other OEMs, that clearly is a problem for BlackBerry and it's customers - like it or lump it.
    But with Essential it was a matter of leverage as the rest of the universe had the identical software build. It was a rubber stamp - and no changes were ever requested. It was the identical hardware, so there were no variant-specific issues. There was nothing to "review".

I have always conceded that Essential was the only OEM ahead of BlackBerry Mobile for timely updates - I'm not making excuses for anyone.
    Rico4you likes this.
    07-31-18 08:07 PM
    But with Essential it was a matter of leverage as the rest of the universe had the identical software build. It was a rubber stamp - and no changes were ever requested. It was the identical hardware, so there were no variant-specific issues. There was nothing to "review".

I have always conceded that Essential was the only OEM ahead of BlackBerry Mobile for timely updates - I'm not making excuses for anyone.
    Call it what you want. In the case of Essential Sprint and Telus control the updates. Period.

And BTW, the software builds are NOT the same for all Essential variants. The carrier builds often have different version numbers and get released at different times than the factory ones. Try visiting their website and see for yourself. There may also be subtle differences in the hardware. Impossible to know for sure unless Essential has come forward and said so.

For some reason you insist on digging yourself into a hole on this one. I'm not trying to make you look bad...you just need to get your facts straight. Lol.
    07-31-18 08:27 PM
    Call it what you want. In the case of Essential Sprint and Telus control the updates. Period.

And BTW, the software builds are NOT the same for all Essential variants. The carrier builds often have different version numbers and get released at different times than the factory ones. Try visiting their website and see for yourself. There may also be subtle differences in the hardware. Impossible to know for sure unless Essential has come forward and said so.

For some reason you insist on digging yourself into a hole on this one. I'm not trying to make you look bad...you just need to get your facts straight. Lol.
    This is just getting ludicrously away from my original contention that Sprint Essentials got updates quicker because they weren't truly carrier-branded. I stand by that. Out.
    Rico4you likes this.
    07-31-18 08:37 PM

But all else being equal, factory-unlocked is always better.
    "Always."

Yes I'm nit-picking, but also depends on the features you care about and which carrier you're on. LTE-A, VoLTE and WiFi calling come to mind in US.

Certain carrier/device combinations result in features not working (irrespective of who/what the cause is).

If AT&T, I recommend carrier. Once you pay the device off, you can unlock.

If T-mo, unlocked works.

VZ has some workarounds.

Don't know enough about Sprint and BYOD.
    08-03-18 05:35 PM
34 12