Can anyone comment on the quality of voice calls using the speaker phone? In the past, all the BlackBerrys that I owned had great speaker phone sound quality as well as mic pickup. The old BBOS ones were the best. Passport, Z10 and PRIV were good. The DTEKs were awful and unusable. How's the KEYone compared to other BlackBerrys?
    With my PRIV, The speaker phone was better than the regular microphone. Not sure about Keyone.
    06-18-17 09:46 PM
    Speaker is just fine. Not as good as IPhone but blows the pixel away. I'm on the phone for 3-4 hours a day about half that on speaker and half on car bluetooth or bluetooth headphones. No issues.

As someone mentioned above, it's all about the shortcuts!
    06-18-17 10:45 PM
    It really is sad that BlackBerry does not mean the best quality anymore. And I don't mean about specs, I'm talking hardware components and build quality.
    Am really happy with the KEYones build quality. Minus the adhesive issue (and perhaps the capacitive android toolbelt).

A compromise with waterproofing is depleted sound quality. Our experienced bike couriers still prefer qwertys to all touches because although they're harder to waterproof (requiring zip lock bags) they still work better in the rain and cold. They can be used relatively easily with gloves on and if the app allows for it touchscreens barely need to be used thanks to qwerty navigation shortcuts.

Touchscreens are practically useless in torrential rain on cold days.

That and qwertys bounce better and generally allow for superior battery life.
    Last edited by mikeydodds; 06-18-17 at 11:44 PM.
    06-18-17 10:47 PM
    Speaker phone on my CDMA is really awful...distortions at mid to high volume.
    06-19-17 03:51 AM
    I have used speakerphone with my phone on a table and me walking around. I have had no issues hearing those on the other end, and they have not commented at all about me being on speaker, so one can assume that things were fine on their end as well.
    06-19-17 04:02 AM
    The KEYone sound quality is bad. Speaker distorts a lot. It makes dictating very hard. The bold 9900 had a better speaker and voice call Even the Priv is better. I've had the KEYone for 4 days and so far: I love the battery life and feel of the phone. But it hasn't all been perfect.
    Issues I have with the KEYone: can't put file shortcuts on the home screen. You could with the bold and Priv.
    The speaker/phone call quality is bad.
    Bluetooth keeps dropping mid call in my car.
    Pressing the speaker key on the keyboard works but then going off speaker automatically puts call sounds on silent. Why? And how can I change this?
    p51 likes this.
    06-20-17 11:10 PM
    I just noticed in the phone app there is a setting for Sounds > Audio EQ. Setting this to boost treble does help a bit with calls, adding a little extra clarity to the sound output.
    06-26-17 02:51 PM
    It's ok... at best. I think the speaker in conjunction with the issues regarding signal reception (no Paratek antenna?) leave something to be desired call quality wise.
    07-07-17 05:35 PM
    I bit the bullet and ordered a replacement. hope the microphone / speakerphone is better.
    07-07-17 05:38 PM
    I don't have a "problem" w the speaker, although it's not great. My problem is my voice sounds mushy -- certainly not crisp -- when I use the speakerphone. after a few comments from ppl abt difficulty hearing me, I left myself a cpl of test Voicemails and I had trouble hearing the messages clearly.
    07-07-17 08:08 PM
    The speaker is horrible, especially compared to the Passport.
    10-12-17 10:41 AM
    I think the speaker is OK. It's the microphone I have a problem with. I've never had so many people say they can't hear or understand what I am saying.

I don't understand with so much experience building phones why Blackberry hasn't passed along it's cumulative knowledge and insisted on minimum quality standards on so many front here.
    10-12-17 11:37 AM
37 12