Anyone with a PRIV who uses Snapchat will know that you can't add a caption to snaps using the PKB. My question is will Snapchat work with the KEYone keyboard? I really want the KEYone as my daily device but if the keyboard doesn't work in Snapchat then I'm out.
    Isn't this something you should ask the makers of Snapchat? I don't think BlackBerry has anything to do with it
    03-10-17 09:39 AM
    Are the various instructions that interface with the keyboard(s) not within the OS itself, which is ultimately controlled by Google? Obviously there is a "loophole" somewhere...either intentional or not, which is allowing this to occur. I do not see how this can be simply a case of "bad coding" on the part of the developer. Allowing or disallowing pkb input should be a user enabled option via the OS, not dictated by the apps (even inadvertently via "sloppy" code). So assuming it is not an issue with the BlackBerry keyboard app itself, then clearly BlackBerry (who has an interest in having pkb work on Android...LOL) either needs to take up this issue with Google, or create its own "patch" for Android to deal with it.
    03-10-17 11:01 AM
    Are the various instructions that interface with the keyboard(s) not within the OS itself, which is ultimately controlled by Google? Obviously there is a "loophole" somewhere...either intentional or not, which is allowing this to occur. I do not see how this can be simply a case of "bad coding" on the part of the developer. Allowing or disallowing pkb input should be a user enabled option via the OS, not dictated by the apps (even inadvertently via "sloppy" code). So assuming it is not an issue with the BlackBerry keyboard app itself, then clearly BlackBerry (who has an interest in having pkb work on Android...LOL) either needs to take up this issue with Google, or create its own "patch" for Android to deal with it.
    Go through my posts in the thread... In short, the same thing obviously happens on any phone with a pkb. I tried with my old THL phone with a Bluetooth keyboard connected.

PKB input is handled automatically by Android when there is a PKB present and a text input field is active. However, apps can intercept keypresses for various functions and prevent regular typing which seems to be the case here. As I wrote in one of my posts, when you enter Snapchat and press the Enter key on that screen the app snaps a picture. I would guess that that's somehow related, i.e. that the app has code to intercept that key press there and the same code is active when it shouldn't be when you want to type a caption.
    My explanation could be wrong, but what I'm certain of is that BB is in no way at fault here since the exact same thing happens on devices which have nothing to do with BB.

Btw, WhatsApp has a similar functionality of adding captions to pictures and it works flawlessly, so I suggest you give up on Snapchat and start using a well written app.
    03-10-17 11:21 AM
    Go through my posts in the thread... In short, the same thing obviously happens on any phone with a pkb. I tried with my old THL phone with a Bluetooth keyboard connected.

PKB input is handled automatically by Android when there is a PKB present and a text input field is active. However, apps can intercept keypresses for various functions and prevent regular typing which seems to be the case here. As I wrote in one of my posts, when you enter Snapchat and press the Enter key on that screen the app snaps a picture. I would guess that that's somehow related, i.e. that the app has code to intercept that key press there and the same code is active when it shouldn't be when you want to type a caption.
    My explanation could be wrong, but what I'm certain of is that BB is in no way at fault here since the exact same thing happens on devices which have nothing to do with BB.

Btw, WhatsApp has a similar functionality of adding captions to pictures and it works flawlessly, so I suggest you give up on Snapchat and start using a well written app.
    My post has nothing to do with Snapchat. In fact I couldn't care less about it, but I certainly do not believe (based on what I've seen so far) that taking this up with Snapchat, whose obviously weak implementation on Android is akin to an Android app ported into BB10, is going to have any meaningful impact. Hardware input methods ought to be dictated and controlled first and foremost by the OS and/or device user, not the app developer. Particularly in the case of KEYone where the pkb is a permanent hardware feature of the device...not optional as is clearly the case with an add-on pkb or slider in the case of the PRIV.
    03-10-17 11:52 AM
    My post has nothing to do with Snapchat. In fact I couldn't care less about it, but I certainly do not believe (based on what I've seen so far) that taking this up with Snapchat, whose obviously weak implementation on Android is akin to an Android app ported into BB10, is going to have any meaningful impact. Hardware input methods ought to be dictated and controlled first and foremost by the OS and/or device user, not the app developer. Particularly in the case of KEYone where the pkb is a permanent hardware feature of the device...not optional as is clearly the case with an add-on pkb or slider in the case of the PRIV.
    But they are well dictated. If you do nothing, everything is well. If you, as a developer, decide to intercept a keypress in order to offer additional capabilities to your app, you can. It's not Google's nor BB's fault that some third party is incapable of programming their app properly and introduces unnecessary and detrimental code. The user has the choice to use good and properly written apps.
    03-10-17 12:03 PM
    But they are well dictated. If you do nothing, everything is well. If you, as a developer, decide to intercept a keypress in order to offer additional capabilities to your app, you can. It's not Google's nor BB's fault that some third party is incapable of programming their app properly and introduces unnecessary and detrimental code. The user has the choice to use good and properly written apps.
    Than obviously you have missed the entire point of my post, which is that poorly written code by the app developer should not be able to override a USER defined preference at the OS level. It seems to me that is clearly an Android OS issue first an foremost, secondly a BlackBerry Android customization issue, thirdly the BlackBerry keyboard app itself...and lastly, at the bottom of the pile...Snapchat and its cast of Android coder hacks.
    03-10-17 12:17 PM
    Than obviously you have missed the entire point of my post, which is that poorly written code by the app developer should not be able to override a USER defined preference at the OS level. It seems to me that is clearly an Android OS issue first an foremost, secondly a BlackBerry Android customization issue, thirdly the BlackBerry keyboard app itself...and lastly, at the bottom of the pile...Snapchat and its cast of Android coder hacks.
    No matter how many obstacles you put to prevent an ***** from doing something wrong, he'll always find a way. Take some statistics into account... How many apps with how many in total text fields is there on the Play Store? And what's the percentage of ones that have any kind of an issue with PKB input? If something works great for everyone but a few idiots, then obviously the system is fine, and the idiots are at fault for not being able to use the system properly.
    If millions of people drive with no issues, and a few idiots run red lights and kill people, is it the fault of idiots who don't know how to drive and pay attention to rules and common sense or car manufacturers, the law or someone else?

What kind of a user defined preference should it even be?
    03-10-17 12:42 PM
    This option is available for snapchat captions.
    KEYone and Snapchat-screen-shot-2017-03-10-11.13.07-pm.png
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 11.13.07 PM.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	531.5 KB 
ID:	419142
    03-10-17 04:17 PM

Interesting theory. I assume that is what they're doing. When the caption comes up. It's still intercepting key presses that are inputs for the camera/viewfinder.
    03-10-17 04:52 PM
    Amateur developer here so I'm no expert but, almost certainly, YES an app developer SHOULD be able to do that. It's not a flaw of the OS. People who love PKBs especially should understand why. If they weren't able to intercept keystrokes when the user is in the app, it would be impossible to use the keyboard for alternative functions within an app.

As it has been mentioned multiple times [LOL], this is most definitely a Snapchat oversight and not something that BlackBerry or Android should be looking into. The fact that it doesn't work properly is really a bug in the app and not a malfunction of the hardware or OS.
    Last edited by TheBirdDog; 03-20-17 at 08:59 PM.
    03-20-17 01:23 PM
    Anyone with a PRIV who uses Snapchat will know that you can't add a caption to snaps using the PKB. My question is will Snapchat work with the KEYone keyboard? I really want the KEYone as my daily device but if the keyboard doesn't work in Snapchat then I'm out.
    I deleted snapchat but will fire it up and report back when I buy the Keyone
    03-20-17 07:33 PM
    Aside from the fact its completely idiotic, nothing at all. Lol.
    05-13-17 10:31 PM
    Snapchat works the same on KEYone as it does on any iPhone or Android with Nougat OS.
    05-13-17 11:56 PM
    Almost two weeks with the KEYone and SnapChat runs super smooth still! So happy.
    05-14-17 12:16 AM
    Almost two weeks with the KEYone and SnapChat runs super smooth still! So happy.
    It's great to hear this!
    05-14-17 01:48 AM
    check it out
    PKB works now on the bb keyone

05-17-17 05:32 AM
    Waiting for the day SnapChat is buried by Facebook / Instagram. The only company I dislike more than FB.

The CEO is a real piece of work. He begrudgingly added Android support and never would put out a Windows client.
    citystars41 likes this.
    05-17-17 07:04 AM
    How is your picture and video quality? Mine are really bad via Snapchat app. I have to take pics using the camera app and then upload via Snapchat camera roll. Defeats the purpose
    05-17-17 10:14 AM
    How is your picture and video quality? Mine are really bad via Snapchat app. I have to take pics using the camera app and then upload via Snapchat camera roll. Defeats the purpose
    Yeah that's a SnapChat issue, not BB KEYone issue.

If you update SC all the time it gets a lot better but it's definitely not as good as the BB Camera. But the front camera is crystal clear on SC I should note.
    05-17-17 10:15 AM
    I'm not sure about KEYone but on Priv the camera seems to have gotten better. But it definitely isn't the same as the BlackBerry Camera app.
    05-17-17 10:33 AM
    I'm on the Snapchat beta and the virtual keyboard now isn't launching on text input, only physical. Seems it's just been updated/fixed!
    Attached Thumbnails KEYone and Snapchat-1106.jpg  
    mithrazor likes this.
    05-17-17 04:35 PM
    According to this video, a keyboard update has now fixes this issues and captions can be typed with the pkb.

05-18-17 10:53 PM
    According to this video, a keyboard update has now fixes this issues and captions can be typed with the pkb.

I think it was the Snapchat update that fixed that.

The BlackBerry Keyboard update was a coincidence.
    05-19-17 12:11 AM
    I think it was the Snapchat update that fixed that.

The BlackBerry Keyboard update was a coincidence.
    It's definitely the Snapchat update that fixed it, as I said needs to happen several times, but no one listens to me.
    I even tried by installing the apk I had, for whatever reason, copied to my PC back when we first had this discussion. With that version it doesn't work properly, with the new one downloaded now from the Play Store, no problem.
    05-19-17 11:10 AM
    On my s7e, snapchat quality isn't nearly as good as taking an actual picture either. They need to fix that for android, but I understand it's harder for Android than iPhone since every Android has a different sensor haha
    05-29-17 11:12 PM
101 ... 2345