Well, I have s7. Im going back to the keyone, am I normal ?
    I think you know the answer to that. Don't need me.
    05-16-17 12:20 PM
    i doubt the slab is going anywhere, but you could start seeing more variety. Samsung made that keyboard case for the S7 and now they made it again for the S8, so there must be some interest in it, I doubt they would keep if it did not sell well.

There is at least one Moto Mod being made to add a slider keyboard to the Moto Z series.

And, to me at least, there seems to be more interest in the KEYone than there was with the Priv. So if the combination of these 3 start to make some kind of money, then you could see other OEMs getting into the different shapes game. I would assume more sliders.

BB makes the best keyboard, so they would in turn get a slight bump in sales if there was a keyboard resurgence
    05-16-17 12:36 PM
    i doubt the slab is going anywhere, but you could start seeing more variety. Samsung made that keyboard case for the S7 and now they made it again for the S8, so there must be some interest in it, I doubt they would keep if it did not sell well.

There is at least one Moto Mod being made to add a slider keyboard to the Moto Z series.

And, to me at least, there seems to be more interest in the KEYone than there was with the Priv. So if the combination of these 3 start to make some kind of money, then you could see other OEMs getting into the different shapes game. I would assume more sliders.

BB makes the best keyboard, so they would in turn get a slight bump in sales if there was a keyboard resurgence
    I think the Priv was not readily considered because BlackBerry fans were still hoping BB 10 OS would survive. At this point, I personally just want a HUB, secure device - PKB or not.

Z30 10.3.3.2205 USA
    05-16-17 02:33 PM
    Great comments on this thread. One thing that comes to mind is whether there is that much interest in pbk. Anecdotally, I am thinking that there is some latent dissatisfaction with the slab form factor. But what percentage of current users? 1%, 10% ,25‰?

The auto industry recently ended it's full on romance with touch screen display in cars. Buttons are back, at least for main function.
    05-17-17 07:54 PM
    Glass ===> Infinite flexibility
    Dedicated Physical Buttons ===> Precision

There's a reason game controllers aren't glass slabs.

Most users of smartphones are basically tourists who like novelty and don't want or need to be power users. They wouldn't know what to do we a PKB.

There are also plenty of media-oriented power users who want the best screen possible.

Then, there are the rest of us who want and need a PKB because that's where the real action happens on our phones.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    VeryBumpy likes this.
    05-17-17 08:12 PM
    Glass ===> Infinite flexibility
    Dedicated Physical Buttons ===> Precision

There's a reason game controllers aren't glass slabs.

Most users of smartphones are basically tourists who like novelty and don't want or need to be power users. They wouldn't know what to do we a PKB.

There are also plenty of media-oriented power users who want the best screen possible.

Then, there are the rest of us who want and need a PKB because that's where the real action happens on our phones.

I'm sorry but as nice of a novelty a pkb is, 99.9% of the world has proven this wrong. If on the rare chance you see anyone with a keyboard phone it is akin to a rainbow/unicorn/butterflykitten sighting.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    05-19-17 07:17 AM
    I'm sorry but as nice of a novelty a pkb is, 99.9% of the world has proven this wrong. If on the rare chance you see anyone with a keyboard phone it is akin to a rainbow/unicorn/butterflykitten sighting.
    Well, the majority of the world is also functionally illiterate. So it really does make sense that glass slabs are more popular. If I wasn't creating long-form written content 90% of the time I use my phone I might also prefer to push colorful buttons on glass.

I agree completely that very few people need to compose important, time sensitive correspondence away from a PC. The original market for BlackBerry was never really more than about 10M hardcore enterprise users, supplemented by about 30M consumers who wanted email on the go.

I don't think that number has grown by much. I would estimate the maximum demand for a PKB to be 10-20M worldwide (which is 1-2% of the Android market).

05-19-17 08:01 AM
    So most of the world are followers - #iHerd #thedumbeddownsmartphonecallediphone et al.

BlackBerry 10, #thebettermousetrap , didn't survive despite its being a better OS.

And for those who still look at the whole package and think for themselves - not just do what a friend does - There is room for variety.

There will never be one perfect device.

Z30 10.3.3.2205 USA
    05-19-17 08:27 AM
    I wouldn't look to glean performance trends via Samsung offerings. Samsung tends to throw EVERYTHING at the wall to see what sticks.
    05-19-17 09:22 AM
    If I wasn't creating long-form written content 90% of the time I use my phone I might also prefer to push colorful buttons on glass.
    So why are you pushing colorful buttons on glass right now?
    05-19-17 10:06 AM
    The auto industry recently ended it's full on romance with touch screen display in cars. Buttons are back, at least for main function.
    Really? I thought QNX systems were running across a lot of vehicles (Ford, Audi and a couple other ones) and they are mostly touch still.
    05-19-17 10:10 AM
    Wait, what a new trend word... something rare seen in the wild... a "BlackBerry"...yeah
    mister2d likes this.
    05-19-17 10:22 AM
    So why are you pushing colorful buttons on glass right now?
    Nice one. I bought my Z10 at launch because the Q10 wasn't ready and I needed to replace my 9700. I was committed to learning how to work effectively on a VKB, and the flick to type feature on my Z10 made it very effective.

At that point, I wasn't willing to sacrifice flick to type in order to get a VKB, so the next viable phone for me was the PP, which I bought. But I never really took to the form factor of the PP, sonic is my backup phone most of the time.

I am hopeful that the KEYone will offer the best if both world for me: keyboard for precision, especially when editing, and flick to type for fast data entry.

C_McD likes this.
    05-19-17 11:30 AM
    Well, the majority of the world is also functionally illiterate. So it really does make sense that glass slabs are more popular. If I wasn't creating long-form written content 90% of the time I use my phone I might also prefer to push colorful buttons on glass.

I agree completely that very few people need to compose important, time sensitive correspondence away from a PC. The original market for BlackBerry was never really more than about 10M hardcore enterprise users, supplemented by about 30M consumers who wanted email on the go.

I don't think that number has grown by much. I would estimate the maximum demand for a PKB to be 10-20M worldwide (which is 1-2% of the Android market).
    I wouldn't go that far to call the world functionally illiterate. And even if that were true, that has no direct correlation to the type of smartphone they carry in their pocket.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    05-19-17 02:11 PM
    BlackBerry will miss the boat again failing to proffer the k1 & Priv as laptop alternatives for transatlantic flights North America / Europe whith laptop prohibited in the cabin soon enough... high rollers could pick up a BlackBerry at an airport kiosk or shop ... BlackBerry could partner with SkyShop or wine tax free shops to deliver the device to the plane all set up... they have NO CREATIVITY at all and TCL low end is not going to be lead...
    05-19-17 02:22 PM
    I wouldn't go that far to call the world functionally illiterate. And even if that were true, that has no direct correlation to the type of smartphone they carry in their pocket.
    In the US, only 15% of the population is "fully literate" (defined as being able to read at the level of someone completing an undergraduate degree). 41% read below a fifth grade level. Some countries have higher literacy rates, but most have a lower rate.

Literacy has everything to do with preference for a PKB. It's ONLY valuable if you enter a lot of text.

05-19-17 03:07 PM
    The widespread use of computers most sold with keyboards requires only a bit of literacy... not college entry
    mister2d likes this.
    05-19-17 03:21 PM
    The widespread use of computers most sold with keyboards requires only a bit of literacy... not college entry
    Just read the comments written on CrackBerry threads and you'll see that's just not true. LOL...
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    05-19-17 03:27 PM
    CB is criteria of those who know almost everything about almost nothing... I am only here due to my personal dependence upon a PKB represented nowhere else... BlackBerry has put a hex on that market forever...
    05-19-17 03:32 PM
    In the US, only 15% of the population is "fully literate" (defined as being able to read at the level of someone completing an undergraduate degree). 41% read below a fifth grade level. Some countries have higher literacy rates, but most have a lower rate.

Literacy has everything to do with preference for a PKB. It's ONLY valuable if you enter a lot of text.

If literacy is defined as competence (which it is), you are saying that people who prefer anything other than a PKB are not competent at all. I think you have hit the rev limiter on the amount of hubris you're spewing. Time to back off the throttle or change gears.
    Last edited by mister2d; 05-19-17 at 05:12 PM. Reason: grammar
    05-19-17 04:19 PM
    People left physical keyboards to go to slabs. Those people aren't going backwards. Fans of PKBs need to accept that.
    Correction: People left phones with tiny screens and ecosystems that lacked apps/functionality. It just so happens that the former had pkb. None of those points are relevant for the keyone. 4.5" is far from tiny.
    05-19-17 04:49 PM
    The US is full of teen girls who would annihilate almost every PKB phone user in "text volume entered into a phone per month", and most of them are "not fully literate" by your definition. Oh, and those same teen girls do this on iPhones.

So, be careful what claims you make, and what conclusions you draw from them.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    05-19-17 04:50 PM
    Correction: People left phones with tiny screens and ecosystems that lacked apps/functionality. It just so happens that the former had pkb. None of those points are relevant for the keyone. 4.5" is far from tiny.
    Hello, Priv?
    Anyone?
    05-19-17 05:05 PM
    Hello, Priv?
    Anyone?
    Lol the priv has a multitude of reasons why it didnt sell, namely the tarnished brand, the form factor and the price point.

My point is that ppl didnt leave those phones solely because they had a pkb. They wanted bigger screens and better apps/functionality.

I hope, but really doubt that the keyone will sell in any meaningful numbers. But it wont be because it has a pkb, it is because the blackberry name is too damaged. If Apple made a pkb phone it would sell millions. Many apple users hate the vkb but they dont have any other options.
    05-19-17 06:05 PM
    Just LOL!!!

Z30 10.3.3.2205 USA
    05-19-17 06:55 PM
121 12345