Good reviews. Selling very well in the UK. General buzz especially in YouTube comments is that there is a near ravenous desire for this phone.

Will the KEYone usher in a Slabexit?
    05-13-17 02:57 PM
    It'll be interesting to see what happens. A lot of times the YouTube commenters are people like CrackBerry readers, where we're fanatical and watch any and all reviews about the newest BlackBerry. And even the commenters that want it might not buy it.

Hopefully some of the users that aren't longtime BlackBerry fans will give it a chance, and don't view the physical keyboard as a step backwards, in the age of the Samsung "infinity screen," etc.

Posted via CB10
    jmr1015 likes this.
    05-13-17 03:14 PM
    No way. I mean it'll at least make consumers demand Apple and Samsung to make some new innovative phones instead of the similar slab designs they make every year.

Posted via one of the Last of BlackBerry's Iconic devices
    05-13-17 03:52 PM
    No chance.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    05-13-17 04:26 PM
    it will be only when someone else than TCL/BBRY will release another full QWERTY keyboard (With BlackBerry licensed keyboard or with something esle).

I mean, it will be slabexit when situation will be something like it was in 2008 or so with BlackBerries and various wannaBes, like HTC Snap, Nokia E71, etc etc. when other manufacturers tried to produce some sort of BBRY clone.

THEN it will be SLABEXIT.
    Xeak likes this.
    05-13-17 04:33 PM
    Coexist... hopefully will be a tipping point to regain some market share.
    05-13-17 04:56 PM
    Any proof that it's selling very well? They've probably only sold 10,000-20,000 which is peanuts in smartphones.
    PDAJAH and mister2d like this.
    05-14-17 07:21 AM
    Nope. Cause it only sells well with BB's base.
    05-14-17 07:27 AM
    If Apple makes a PKB iphone, then PKB phones will be cool again for the masses.

Chances of that are slim and none, and slim left town.
    05-14-17 07:38 AM
    PKB will stay a niche product. But if the K1 is received well, and I feel it is, then new slabs from BBMobile may catch some traction if the price is right. But those prices aren't going to be right I fear ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted via CB10
    Flatman likes this.
    05-14-17 07:57 AM
    05-14-17 07:59 AM
    It will take years for the keyboard device to get any traction in pulling in the sales I would think a new slab with great features will help BlackBerry more than the physical keyboard will.
    05-14-17 08:15 AM
    Good reviews. Selling very well in the UK.

Good times.
    05-14-17 08:16 AM
    We just need TCL to sell enough to continue to make more BB devices.
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    05-14-17 08:17 AM
    Only this might cause a Slabexit...
    05-14-17 08:29 AM
    If Apple makes a PKB iphone, then PKB phones will be cool again for the masses.

Chances of that are slim and none, and slim left town.
    iHerd mentality.

Z30 10.3.3.2205 USA
    raseru03 likes this.
    05-14-17 10:07 AM
    Maybe with the flexible displays coming out a new form factor will allow some sort of hybrid device. But I'm really loving the PKB on my KeyOne. After a few days I don't think I can ever give it up again.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-14-17 10:10 AM
    Let's be honest for a minute about the value of a PKB:

A phone like the KEYone offers more usable screen area and a great interface for producing and editing text. A standard slab phone like the iPhone or S8 offer more screen area and a superior interface for consuming media of all kinds.

So, the KEYone's appeal is limited BY DESIGN to users who value the production of text over the consumption of media. That's a small segment of the overall smartphone market. Sure there may also be some nostalgia or hipster fashion buyers for a beautiful phone like the KEYone, but it is fundamentally a work phone for people whose written communications are more important to them than their media consumption.

So, if I were to offer a "wildassedguess" about the potential KEYone market, it would look like this:

POTENTIAL Market:
    Core text producer segment: 2.5% of Android segment, including former BlackBerry users = 25M users

Former BlackBerry 7 and 10 fans currently on iPhone : 10M users

Hipster/Retro/Fashion users: 5M users

So, being generous, let's say that the maximum annual demand for the KEYone, if it were priced at the lowest market price for a smartphone, say $150, and if it was universally known and promoted, is around 40M phones .

When you adjust the price to $549, that potential demand probably shrinks to < 5M.

Realistically, BlackBerry Mobile will struggle to create awareness, interest and desire for its first branded product. I'd be surprised if they can penetrate more than 10% of their target market.

So my back-of the envelope estimate is sales of 500K worldwide. I wouldn't be surprised if BlackBerry Mobile's estimate was similar.

Anything over 1M units in the first year will be a success and will lead to new devices, with the likelihood of increasing market share, but that's only 0.1% of the worldwide Android market.

Ultimately, I think a line of KEYone successors and slab TCL BlackBerries could probably achieve 3-5% of world Android market share. I'm sure TCL would be thrilled with that result.

But there is no way that more than 3-5% of the world would seriously consider a PKB phone, because it's a huge amount or phone resources dedicated to a function they don't value highly.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    ominaxe and Jonathan R like this.
    05-14-17 10:39 AM
    BB exited hardware... but if keyone has some sort of success and they want to get back into hardware, they need a high end full screen device.

The reason is that to defend their niche market and their image, they need to defend it in the high end market. This will help with their image and marketing.

That would help them build niche market phones and be successful. The keyone by itself is just nice and without a "sister" full screen device, she won't gain much traction
    05-14-17 10:47 AM
    VKBs are getting better and better, as well as Virtual Assistant Voice Recognition... the future isn't in stepping back to PKB. Hell, Mark Zuck and a Elon Musk think the future is in some sort of direct brain/thought interface with our devices and the internet.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    05-14-17 10:47 AM
    Lol, every time, with every release.

Next will be a link to an article on Seeking Alpha posted as fact where the writer has claimed that The KEYone has sold millions of devices.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    05-14-17 11:16 AM
    Let's be honest for a minute about the value of a PKB:

A phone like the KEYone offers more usable screen area and a great interface for producing and editing text. A standard slab phone like the iPhone or S8 offer more screen area and a superior interface for consuming media of all kinds.

So, the KEYone's appeal is limited BY DESIGN to users who value the production of text over the consumption of media. That's a small segment of the overall smartphone market. Sure there may also be some nostalgia or hipster fashion buyers for a beautiful phone like the KEYone, but it is fundamentally a work phone for people whose written communications are more important to them than their media consumption.

So, if I were to offer a "wildassedguess" about the potential KEYone market, it would look like this:

POTENTIAL Market:
    Core text producer segment: 2.5% of Android segment, including former BlackBerry users = 25M users

Former BlackBerry 7 and 10 fans currently on iPhone : 10M users

Hipster/Retro/Fashion users: 5M users

So, being generous, let's say that the maximum annual demand for the KEYone, if it were priced at the lowest market price for a smartphone, say $150, and if it was universally known and promoted, is around 40M phones .

When you adjust the price to $549, that potential demand probably shrinks to < 5M.

Realistically, BlackBerry Mobile will struggle to create awareness, interest and desire for its first branded product. I'd be surprised if they can penetrate more than 10% of their target market.

So my back-of the envelope estimate is sales of 500K worldwide. I wouldn't be surprised if BlackBerry Mobile's estimate was similar.

Anything over 1M units in the first year will be a success and will lead to new devices, with the likelihood of increasing market share, but that's only 0.1% of the worldwide Android market.

Ultimately, I think a line of KEYone successors and slab TCL BlackBerries could probably achieve 3-5% of world Android market share. I'm sure TCL would be thrilled with that result.

But there is no way that more than 3-5% of the world would seriously consider a PKB phone, because it's a huge amount or phone resources dedicated to a function they don't value highly.

I agree with what you're saying, but those of who prefer a PKB like it for the exact reasons you stated. If someone is looking at the KeyOne to consume a lot of content then they're going too be in for a big disappointment. But the KeyOne excels in getting work done. Especially with multiwindow it's been awesome. I can actually type and look at both panes without a VKB obstructing my view. But I agree that PKB phones won't capture the market like it once did over a decade ago.
    05-14-17 11:41 AM
    Lol, every time, with every release.

Next will be a link to an article on Seeking Alpha posted as fact where the writer has claimed that The KEYone has sold millions of devices.
    No, there will be KIA in SA who will tell that he contacted Connie in Bbry and she told him about poor sales.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-17 12:07 PM
    I agree with what you're saying, but those of who prefer a PKB like it for the exact reasons you stated. If someone is looking at the KeyOne to consume a lot of content then they're going too be in for a big disappointment. But the KeyOne excels in getting work done. Especially with multiwindow it's been awesome. I can actually type and look at both panes without a VKB obstructing my view. But I agree that PKB phones won't capture the market like it once did over a decade ago.
    I agree completely with you. My point is that there is nothing wrong with designing and selling a device to capture 0.25% of the Android market. 2.5M devices a year could be a very profitable niche for TCL, and they could still make a BlackBerry slab phone. I am one of the people who value the editing precision of the PKB.

DolemiteDONS likes this.
    05-14-17 12:34 PM
    Good reviews. Selling very well in the UK. General buzz especially in YouTube comments is that there is a near ravenous desire for this phone.

Will the KEYone usher in a Slabexit?
    BlackBerry will be lucky if it sells modestly well. Even 10 mill units in a quarter would be great for them.
    05-14-17 12:50 PM
121 123 ...