Updated 8/22, see below original text.

I have not previously used a case with my KeyONE. Based on the torture testing I'd seen on CrackBerry, and my previous experiences with the quality and sturdiness I've experienced(owning only Blackberries since at least 2003), I thought I'd be ok... as I'm usually fairly careful with my devices.

However, I dropped my KeyONE while at my standing desk around the end of July.
    It landed on my concrete desk tray, shattering the screen... and causing issues with the touch Android buttons which could not be ignored. I contacted Blackberry Mobile about repair, and informed them I would like the device repaired, no matter the cost(if warranty doesn't cover the damage).

KEYone Screen Shattered... BB Mobile Repair Experience Thus Far-img_20170722_1052194.jpg
    KEYone Screen Shattered... BB Mobile Repair Experience Thus Far-img_20170722_1052087.jpg

I have no problem with the fact that the screen shattered and I need to have it repaired. It is unfortunate, but concrete is hard, and life is full of little disappointments.

My device was sent to Texas via a FedEx label BB Mobile provided. I was told I'd be contacted with invoice information after the group my phone was sent to had evaluated what repair was needed. I would pay the invoice, they would repair the device, send it back, and everyone would be happy campers. They said it would likely be 7-10 days for the process, shipping included. The FedEx package was delivered to Texas on Tuesday, August 8th.

I had not received any contact from the group in Texas supposedly repairing my device, even after contacting BB Mobile again for an update on what is happening.
    BB Mobile's response was that the Texas group were reviewing the device, and would be in contact with me soon.

Today(August 21st) I received a notification through my UPS My Choice that I have a shipment on the way.
    Reviewing the tracking info, the package is coming from FINETECHWIN, INC in Texas. I can only suspect it is my device... However, this concerns me, as I was never contacted for cost of repair (or any other information regarding this process) outside of the limited contact with BB Mobile.

So now I wait for delivery... I expect one of a few things:

1. They repaired my device free of charge, which is why I didn't receive an invoice for cost of
    repair. Awfully nice of them and much appreciated.

2. They didn't do anything to my device, and are sending it back in the same broken state I
    originally gave to them. I will in some form or fashion, lose my mind if this is the case.

3. They have repaired the device, and are preemptively sending it before invoicing me. In
    which case I will receive an invoice soon, and they are extremely trusting people to have
    returned a repaired device without getting my payment information.

The reference info on the UPS tracking contains information that concerns me, and makes me expect outcome 2 above is the most likely:

Reference Number(s): CRACK /OOW/8/21

I am supposing "CRACK" means 'crack in screen', "OOW" might mean 'Out Of Warranty', and "8/21" is perhaps the repair or return date.

This has been a very awkward repair experience so far, and I'm disappointed in the lack of communication.
    I'm not holding much hope that opening the UPS package will make me a happy customer, but my fingers are crossed, nonetheless!

********************************UPDATE 08/22********************************

It is as I feared. Option #2 was the result. I received my still broken phone with the included letter:
    KEYone Screen Shattered... BB Mobile Repair Experience Thus Far-img_20170822_1259319.jpg

In the past, I always appreciated how professional and complete contact experiences with the real BlackBerry were. This is B.S. I will be contacting the customer support number to continue this fiasco... the results of the call will determine whether I remain a BlackBerry customer any longer. Which really hurts my heart to say after more than 10 years

The correspondence I had with Blackberry Mobile initially regarding the repair request:

The beginning, July 21st. Auto-response after entering request for assistance with my shattered KeyONE screen. I very distinctly mentioned in the ticket that I had dropped my phone at my work desk and shattered the screen, and that I wanted to see about getting it repaired instead of having to buy an entirely new device.
    KEYone Screen Shattered... BB Mobile Repair Experience Thus Far-initial-contact-7-21.png

I had to follow up on 7/26, because they had not contacted me back... By this time, the Android buttons at the bottom of the screen had begun malfunctioning, and the touchscreen was behaving erratically. I'd swapped back to my PRIV(which I'm still limping along with). They told me we could send it in for repair, and they'd charge me if there was physical damage, which I was fine with.
    KEYone Screen Shattered... BB Mobile Repair Experience Thus Far-initial-followup-7-26-after-not-receiving-response.png

Item was sent to Texas for repair, and arrived on Tuesday, August 8th.
    I placed another ticket to BB Mobile on 8/16, after not receiving any contact from the repairing party regarding receiving my device, or any contact from them regarding the steps for repair.
    KEYone Screen Shattered... BB Mobile Repair Experience Thus Far-checking-status-8-16-e.png

and of course, we know the results as of today, 8/22.
    KEYone Screen Shattered... BB Mobile Repair Experience Thus Far-oow-letter-8-22.jpg
    Last edited by mdhawki; 08-22-17 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Update on 8/22
    Guiglet likes this.
    08-21-17 12:19 PM
    Well, after a call with BlackBerry Mobile, they are giving me a new case number(I have received e-mails with 4 new case numbers, actually... Not sure what that is about) and I will attempt to resend the device for repair once they provide me with another shipping label.
    It was explained that the repair entity was supposed to send me an invoice if physical damage was identified not under warranty, and copy BB Mobile on the e-mail. Neither of us received an e-mail, it seems, based on their records as well as mine. Will update as more happens.
    08-22-17 03:55 PM
    This is unacceptable. For all the hassle they should repair it for free.
    08-22-17 04:48 PM
    This is unacceptable. For all the hassle they should repair it for free.
    I agree. I would thank BlackBerry Mobile for confirming that they hadn't received an email, and let ask them if there was anything they could offer you, considering your significant inconvenience and frustration with your CS experience.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 08-22-17 at 06:07 PM.
    08-22-17 05:33 PM
    well this is just unacceptable but its not really a surprise seems like they have no idea what to do when things turn up.
    08-22-17 05:48 PM
    well this is just unacceptable but its not really a surprise seems like they have no idea what to do when things turn up.
    Yes. I think this illustrates what a huge move this is for them. They are basically a build-to-order electronics manufacturer attempting to move down the value chain to serve customers directly, without an existing set of resources and processes to support the new functions.

The question will be how quickly they learn and adapt. I wish them well, but I'd expect more bumps in the road.

Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    08-22-17 06:11 PM
    Yes. I think this illustrates what a huge move this is for them. They are basically a build-to-order electronics manufacturer attempting to move down the value chain to serve customers directly, without an existing set of resources and processes to support the new functions.

The question will be how quickly they learn and adapt. I wish them well, but I'd expect more bumps in the road.
    The letterhead says Alcatel. They are TCL's other in house smartphone brand and have been in business for years.
    08-22-17 06:26 PM
    Alcatel Canada is where I got my replacement under the Canadian support channel!
    08-23-17 12:06 PM
    The letterhead says Alcatel. They are TCL's other in house smartphone brand and have been in business for years.
    The fact that they haven't even created new letterhead stationary for BlackBerry shows how unprepared they are. The fact that the repair department isn't new doesn't mean that BlackBerry Mobile has the systems and people in place that it is going to need to support BlackBerry customers. They have a steep hill to climb to stand up a direct to consumer operation.

Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    08-23-17 02:07 PM
    Well, the lack of concern on the part of BlackBerry mobile continues. The support person promised the highest priority for my new ticket, and that I would receive a new shipping number today to use... no e-mail, no new shipping info... and it is too late to send a shipment if I got it now. I was hoping to have the KeyONE on the way back for repair today... oh well.
    Suppose I will be putting together something to send to the real BlackBerry concerning the damage their partner has done. Though I doubt they will care, either.
    08-23-17 07:27 PM
    Well, the lack of concern on the part of BlackBerry mobile continues. The support person promised the highest priority for my new ticket, and that I would receive a new shipping number today to use... no e-mail, no new shipping info... and it is too late to send a shipment if I got it now. I was hoping to have the KeyONE on the way back for repair today... oh well.
    Suppose I will be putting together something to send to the real BlackBerry concerning the damage their partner has done. Though I doubt they will care, either.
    You're likely right about BlackBerry not being helpful. The whole point of licensing the Brand was to be done with the consumer market as much as possible. This is BlackBerry Mobile's business now.

The best thing you can do is get in touch with a manager or director at BlackBerry Mobile. He or she will probably be interested and willing to help you get your phone fixed. It may feel like they don't care, but, from what I know, they are just not trained for non-warranty repairs.

If you talk to another person, ask for a single point if contact, with a direct phone number or email address, who will help you get this done.

In any case,if you have the energy to copy what you have written to a letter, and mail it to their CEO, you might get a response and be helpful to the next person in your position.

All I'm saying is that I would not equate their not providing a satisfactory resolution so far with their not caring. As frustrating as it is, I would persist until I had an executive-level response to your experience, as well as a fully repaired phone. Your expectations are reasonable, and they should be able to get you squared away.

I'll also add that, for better or worse, accidental damage insurance makes a lot of sense for smartphones, which are ridiculously fragile.

08-24-17 09:01 AM
    You're likely right about BlackBerry not being helpful. The whole point of licensing the Brand was to be done with the consumer market as much as possible. This is BlackBerry Mobile's business now.

I dont know if its me or what but the whole replacement process seems to go well for some and a complete hassle full of frustration for others why cant it just be a simple process for everyone are some people doing things wrong with their warranty claims.

The best thing you can do is get in touch with a manager or director at BlackBerry Mobile. He or she will probably be interested and willing to help you get your phone fixed. It may feel like they don't care, but, from what I know, they are just not trained for non-warranty repairs.

If you talk to another person, ask for a single point if contact, with a direct phone number or email address, who will help you get this done.

In any case,if you have the energy to copy what you have written to a letter, and mail it to their CEO, you might get a response and be helpful to the next person in your position.

All I'm saying is that I would not equate their not providing a satisfactory resolution so far with their not caring. As frustrating as it is, I would persist until I had an executive-level response to your experience, as well as a fully repaired phone. Your expectations are reasonable, and they should be able to get you squared away.

I'll also add that, for better or worse, accidental damage insurance makes a lot of sense for smartphones, which are ridiculously fragile.

08-24-17 03:39 PM
    I think the problem in this case was that it WASN'T a warranty claim. He wanted to pay for the repairs, and that confused them.

BigBadWulf likes this.
    08-24-17 03:42 PM
    I think the problem in this case was that it WASN'T a warranty claim. He wanted to pay for the repairs, and that confused them.

I do believe that was the case. However, it is unacceptable for them to offer the option if they are going to botch it that badly.

Fortunately, the device is once again on it's way to Texas for repair. They failed on their promise to have the shipping label to me by Wednesday, but at least I received it Thursday morning.

I am documenting the correspondence and will draft a letter to the CEO of BlackBerry Mobile to share the experience, in hopes it may save a future BlackBerry fan some suffering.
    08-24-17 04:36 PM
    Omg it's tiring ready this so I feel for you! Keep persisting kk!!!
    Good luck!
    08-25-17 01:21 AM
    Typical from this BlackBerry company with TCL's lack of professionalism.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-17 02:28 AM
    I love how they claim they know your device is important to you, but obviously it's not important enough that they would have called or emailed to offer to repair it. Gee..... Thanks AlcaBerry! ;(
    08-25-17 02:59 AM
    Heard from BlackBerry today. Repair will be $151+tax. They are supposed to send me the invoice soon. At least this second time around(so far) has been quick and communication has been better.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    08-25-17 01:24 PM
    Heard from BlackBerry today. Repair will be $151+tax. They are supposed to send me the invoice soon. At least this second time around(so far) has been quick and communication has been better.
    That's a fair price. Glad you finally made progress on it. I have had to call BlackBerry 3 times for faulty devices. I find them to be really pleasant and professional on the phone. It does seem odd and unprofessional that they sent your out of warranty phone back without any communication for a repair option. Hopefully they clean that up.
    08-25-17 01:56 PM
    This really sucks! I have had to get a few replacement phones over the past two years and have only had good experiences with them. Maybe it's different because it's under warranty. This really sucks and I hope things get resolved!
    08-25-17 02:17 PM
    That's a fair price. Glad you finally made progress on it. I have had to call BlackBerry 3 times for faulty devices. I find them to be really pleasant and professional on the phone. It does seem odd and unprofessional that they sent your out of warranty phone back without any communication for a repair option. Hopefully they clean that up.

Ha, wow... I'm afraid things are about to take another turn for the worst.
    FINTECHWIN sent me the PayPal invoice for $160.24, which I paid August 28th. I received a close notice for all of those tickets BlackBerry Mobile opened on my behalf, so I figured we were in the home stretch.

However, tonight I just received a new e-mail from BlackBerry Mobile that said the repair center has inspected the device and wants to know if I'll accept the charge for $112 + $339 + tax... Yeah.. that is $451 + tax...
    I am going to assume that was a typo, and responded that I'd already paid their invoice for $160 yesterday. I just can't help but laugh at this point.
    08-29-17 08:17 PM
    I am very grateful for your step by step reporting with the phone. I have been very lucky carrying it naked but may have to put a case on it again. although the screen hasn't popped off (knock on wood), it could still break. keep up the good fight.
    08-29-17 09:46 PM
    Alcatel Canada is where I got my replacement under the Canadian support channel!
    Hi cellphonejunkey, What did you have done by Alcatel?

So My first KeyOne, had a bad Speakerphone MIC, and after over a month of back & forth I finally got it sent out, and received my replacement yesterday.

Today, As I'm on my way out of the car with my new case... I drop the phone...
    I'm not looking forward to the screen replacement process.

I'm praying a 3rd party supplier can fix it, because I dont want to go through the whole Reset/rebuild process a 3rd time...
    09-02-17 02:14 AM
    Haven't heard a word back at this point. Unsure if they are working on my phone or not. I guess I am a glutton for punishment. I ordered a Space Black KeyONE from AT&T, which will be here Tuesday. I will swap over to that one and just keep my original(if it ever returns to me) as a spare.
    09-03-17 03:47 PM
    Hi cellphonejunkey, What did you have done by Alcatel?

So My first KeyOne, had a bad Speakerphone MIC, and after over a month of back & forth I finally got it sent out, and received my replacement yesterday.

Today, As I'm on my way out of the car with my new case... I drop the phone...
    I'm not looking forward to the screen replacement process.

I'm praying a 3rd party supplier can fix it, because I dont want to go through the whole Reset/rebuild process a 3rd time...
    September 9th and still nothing but crickets... I would definitely avoid BlackBerry Mobile at all costs if you have another route you can take.
    09-07-17 02:39 PM
41 12