After weeks, I have been told by BlackBerry that since my KeyOne was out of warranty and that I physically abused my phone, that they will not fix it. And they want me to pay $63 to them for their time on a phone that THEIR screen separated from.

I "nicely" informed them that dropping the phone twice in two years (because of its slippery outside) does not constitute abuse. So this is how they treat a BB customer of 10 years standing. I have a Key 2, and this will be my last BB. I didn't pay $600 for a phone that could stay together 21 months.
    Dropping it once is what they (industry) calls abuse.

Might make a difference - when your KEYone was manufactured. Really only those made before the change in the manufacturing process would qualify. But then I've never heard of any official extension of coverage beyond the standard warranty.
    05-17-19 01:39 PM
    Mine was an early build. Still, BB will not cover any more Key Ones according to this tech. Well, let me rephrase that - if you pay them to fix their shoddy manufacturing, they will order the part and fix it, and send back to you.
    05-17-19 07:21 PM
    Mine was an early build. Still, BB will not cover any more Key Ones according to this tech. Well, let me rephrase that - if you pay them to fix their shoddy manufacturing, they will order the part and fix it, and send back to you.
    Personally, if you want to keep it, take it to a cell phone repair shop, many YouTube video's show just how easy it is to change and the screen cost is negligible, if you want to spend the money on the unit that is.
    05-17-19 07:44 PM
    Repair shop? I was quoted $120 to replace/fix the back cover. seems reasonable right?! TCL / BlackBerry support told me to send it in the mail and they "will see whether we can repair it or not" ....I saw the YouTube tutorial to repair it on your own...I dunno...
    05-17-19 08:47 PM
    This is a follow-up...

I was pressed for time with fixing the KEYone prior to a trip and I had already ordered a tube of B-7000 15ml (about $1.50 USD via eBay). I cleaned off any residue that I found from the original factory gluing. I applied the B-7000 all around the screen edges and pressed the screen to the body. I used two clamps to keep pressure between the screen and the body during drying.

In the instructional videos found on YouTube, with other phones, they say that B-7000 is a good screen adhesive as it takes a few minutes before it sets (allowing for adjustments), easy to clean before it sets (is rubbery like rubber cement and easy to rub off), sets fully in 24 hrs, and can be /removed/ with a heat gun if the screen one day needs replacing.

I took the phone to Thailand, where it got as hot as 40 C and no issues.

Since I did the gluing myself and only on the edges, I feel that I applied the adhesive to be just enough to hold the screen and still allow it to be replaceable. The fixed KEYone's are no doubt bettered glued, but the screen is probably hard to replace. 15ml was way more than I needed too.

KEYone Screen Lift/Separation Megathread (READ 1ST POST)-keyone_clamped.jpg
    Last edited by cbvinh; 05-20-20 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Added photo
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    05-29-19 06:43 AM
    Well, it finally happened. After 2+ years of daily abuse, my beloved Black BBB100-3 CDMA K1 screen came loose yesterday. I currently have it taped with scotch tape along the edges, waiting for my tube of B-7000 to show up. I was lucky enough to see it before it tore the ribbon of, so the phone is still working fine, just having tape on the screen/body does make it look a little "homeless"...

Not that there is anything wrong with that, just to confirm, I am not knocking on the homeless at all in this "PC" world we live in
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    05-31-19 01:44 PM
    I got this issue in the last week of May 2019. I sent my device to repair center, they asked me to pay $63, when I called customer service they said your device should be covered under warranty as it is a manufacturing defect. All this happened June 6th. But after that I received no response or update regarding my device.

Dont know if they are fixing it or should I pay. Nothing. The worst service I have experienced. Can any one suggest something genuine.
    06-17-19 01:58 AM
    I got this issue in the last week of May 2019. I sent my device to repair center, they asked me to pay $63, when I called customer service they said your device should be covered under warranty as it is a manufacturing defect. All this happened June 6th. But after that I received no response or update regarding my device.

Dont know if they are fixing it or should I pay. Nothing. The worst service I have experienced. Can any one suggest something genuine.
    Don't you have to wait for it to come back first?
    06-17-19 05:03 AM
    Why should it come back? The device is still with them.
    06-17-19 07:03 AM
    Why should it come back? The device is still with them.
    If they demand payment to release the device back to you then I guess you don't have much of a choice unless you escalate the situation and show the messages to someone higher up at BBMo for them to contact the service center and tell them not to charge you.

Me personally, if my screen lifted by now I would just purchase the LCD on eBay and do it myself.

I worked on the KEYone before, it's pretty easy.
    06-17-19 07:40 AM
    If they demand payment to release the device back to you then I guess you don't have much of a choice unless you escalate the situation and show the messages to someone higher up at BBMo for them to contact the service center and tell them not to charge you.

Me personally, if my screen lifted by now I would just purchase the LCD on eBay and do it myself.

I worked on the KEYone before, it's pretty easy.
    Yeah I did escalate, thats when they asked me to pay. I wouldnt mind paying if they say thats the only option.

I didnt pay because the customer service asked me not to as this should be covered under warranty.
    06-17-19 08:03 AM
    My KEYone slipped onto the floor. It had a case on it but the screen came loose. I carefully put it back in place but nothing came onto the screen even though the phone itself was still working. I was devastated. It happened Monday evening. I called BlackBerry Mobile support and it was early enough that someone was still there to take calls. They set me up to send it in for repair and said it would not cost me anything. They were very considerate when they spoke to me. I just hope they can fix it and get it back to me as soon as possible. I was NOT expecting this after having it for 21 months. You see, it is one that I won here at CrackBerry. Right when it was first released. I am hoping for the best. FEDEX said it would arrive at the facility address on Friday which means it will not show up here till next week at the earliest. It was sent to a facility in Florida (I am in Oregon) via FEDEX (probably expedited ground). FORTUNATELY I still have my PRIV which was in semi retirement. It has stepped up to serve me again full time, just like a true veteran. I took some photos of the sunset with it yesterday and it reminded me of how great its camera is for sunset photos. I will probably post a few in the PRIV photo thread!
    PS I was going to photograph it lying forlornly on the floor with the screen askew but I just wanted to see if the screen would work when I carefully put it into place. But alas....
    You give me hope, as I am still rocking a launch day device from Amazon and figured I would be SOL.

Hope I am not jinxing myself!

Posted via CB10
    06-24-19 10:46 PM
    Did your screen come loose on yours? Does it still turn on?
    06-25-19 01:12 AM

Have you tried phoning them? I called them a couple of times while my KEYone was in the shop. Be sure to have the original code they gave you the first time you contacted them by email. Their response over email did not seem to function as well as contacting them directly.
    06-25-19 01:38 AM
    Does anyone know if the KeyONE AT&T Black Edition was also affected by the screen separation issue?
    Thanks!
    08-02-19 10:09 PM
    Does anyone know if the KeyONE AT&T Black Edition was also affected by the screen separation issue?
    Thanks!
    I am pretty sure that it was only the early edition Silver KEYones that had the screen separation problem.
    08-02-19 10:22 PM
    passports also had screen lift... I think they use the same glue... But I tried to buy some of that glue but if they're sold out at the dollar store up the street from the maquiladora in Mexico where the things were made...
    08-03-19 10:38 AM
    Thanks!
    I have had one almost 2 years. No problems with the screen.
    08-06-19 06:54 AM
    ...And it has finally started to happen for me; I noticed the light bleeding and lifting on the left side of my screen tonight. Trying to order a replacement from at&t, as I am not ready to do away with my BlackBerry until I am forced to do so. Hope it will stay intact till the new one arrives. I only hope I can gingerly remove the SIM card, as I need some sort of device for work till then.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-20 10:34 PM
    ...And it has finally started to happen for me; I noticed the light bleeding and lifting on the left side of my screen tonight. Trying to order a replacement from at&t, as I am not ready to do away with my BlackBerry until I am forced to do so. Hope it will stay intact till the new one arrives. I only hope I can gingerly remove the SIM card, as I need some sort of device for work till then.

Posted via CB10
    Just use some double-sided tape. It will be stronger than new.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07PCNR4ZB/...UvbUpU13512383
    NightFire likes this.
    04-28-20 11:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    Conite suggests using two sided tape, but if you are not keen on that, then I recommend you try to find a repair shop that can do it. Some of us are "all thumbs" (Oops--maybe the wrong expression for BlackBerry users )
    Hopefully where you are located, the repair shops are not closed due to quarantine. At least one in our area are open (They were permitted to remain open in Oregon because it is a solitary job. The business just needs to adhere to social distancing protpcals.
    At any rate, make sure you secure it somehow so the connecting ribbon does not break. Mine broke and the whole screen went dark so I lost a lot of things that were on the phone. I was able to send it to BlackBerry Mobile because it was over a year ago and still under warranty at the time.
    NightFire likes this.
    04-29-20 02:14 AM
    I placed some scotch tape on the edges of the screen (it is on the left side where the detachment began--the ribbon is located). I went ahead and ordered a replacement through at&t, as I cannot justify the cost of the newer Key2. Maybe I will tackle the project of repair--and yes, I knew about the double-sided tape method and considered snagging some from work...but that being said, I am rather OCD and terrified of doing further damage. I know a lot of people fault the KeyOne, but it still works wonderfully for me and the stellar battery life has always been a selling point for me.

Sad they aren't looking to make more models. Hopefully the new model will get me by a few more years.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-20 07:03 PM
    It's been two years since I had to re-adhere the screen. I recently dropped my KEYone twice and that jogged the screen loose again. I did the cheap fix with tape and went about using B-7000 adhesive this weekend, like I did two years ago. I have the original 15 ml tube, which is probably enough to glue the screen several times. Unfortunately, like super glue, once opened, it's not quite the same. Also unfortunately, I must have pulled too hard on the screen, or the ribbon cable to the screen is very flimsy. The ribbon cable tore. :'(

The ribbon cable isn't a part in itself, so a new screen has been ordered ($17.10 USD), along with B-7000 3 ml adhesive ($1.70 USD), and 3M double-sided red tape ($6.40 USD), just to add extra bonding this time. (At the time of this writing, the order has been placed via three vendors on eBay. No reassembly has been done yet.)

Since the screen is already off, it was a simple matter of removing the back with a triangle paddle, then using a Phillips head to remove the metal brace holding the ribbon cable to the screen. The metal brace is held with just two screws and can be pushed to the right. The ribbon cable connection can be lifted and pushed through the hole and the screen is free.

This video was most useful...

This video is way overkill (dismantling way too much)...

Here's what the ripped ribbon cable looks like... tear is center and looks like a line...

Front... (see line through "L")
    KEYone Screen Lift/Separation Megathread (READ 1ST POST)-img_20210613_160648.jpg

Back... (tear seems to go through six traces)
    KEYone Screen Lift/Separation Megathread (READ 1ST POST)-img_20210613_160317.jpg
    06-14-21 04:25 AM
    The replacement screen and double-sided tape came within a week. The B-7000 adhesive took 13 days! (It took four days before the seller finally shipped it off, probably to minimize the hassle of going to the post office for a $1.70 item. It took so long that I opened a complaint (as it missed the delivery date by 9 days), but two days later, it finally arrived, a day before the seller had to respond to the complaint.)

The replacement screen was in a plastic bag shipper, inside a sturdy box, wrapped with two layers of bubble wrap. The front and back of the screen had plastic protectors (red on back and clear on front) to prevent scratches. No worries about damage. (A prep step I did was putting the ribbon cable through the slot, connecting it, connecting the battery, and powering everything up, just to make sure the screen worked. Afterward, I powered off the KEYone, disconnected the battery, then removed the screen.)

Double-sided tape was advertised as 3M. I'm not sure if it's the real deal, but it is double-sided tape. Hopefully it's just as good. There's enough in the roll to repair the screen many, many times over.

3ml B-7000 adhesive was actually two tubes, which is nice. I only needed one and even then, it's a lot more than needed.

KEYone Screen Lift/Separation Megathread (READ 1ST POST)-img_20210626_150007_hdr.jpg

KEYone Screen Lift/Separation Megathread (READ 1ST POST)-img_20210626_150314_hdr.jpg

KEYone Screen Lift/Separation Megathread (READ 1ST POST)-img_20210626_150410_hdr.jpg

Here's the double-sided tape applied. I didn't peel off the red plastic to expose the other adhesive side yet. The section with the label "WALBK" wasn't double-sided, so I ended up cutting it off before installing the screen. (My advice is to not use that section of the tape.)

KEYone Screen Lift/Separation Megathread (READ 1ST POST)-img_20210626_164118.jpg

After putting in the double-sided tape, I peeled off the red plastic backing with the help of an X-acto knife. (It was too hard with a finger nail.)

I, then, applied the B-7000 adhesive all along the four edges. B-7000 takes 24-48 hrs to fully set and becomes just gummy like rubber cement after exposure to air. There's plenty of time to drop in the replacement screen.

For the replacement screen, I peeled off the red backing, made sure the ribbon cable went through the slot, then pressed everything down. I took my time to check the ribbon cable and made sure everything was aligned.

There will be some B-7000 that gets pushed out along the screen edges on the front side. Peel off the screen protector and start rubbing the gummy B-7000 along the edges, to remove the excess.

In my previous screen lift repair, I used two clamps to hold the screen in place. This time, the backing was off, so I couldn't do that. I did what the first video in the previous post showed, using rubberbands to apply pressure. I would only caution that the rubberbands be applied from the bottom and moved up, avoiding the side buttons and most importantly, the tiny metal contacts that touch the back, to provide for NFC. (There are two "spring loaded" pairs, one pair just underneath the camera (right of camera in photo) and the other pair just above the metal brace (left of metal brace in photo) holding the ribbon cable for the screen. They are very fragile! You can see in the photo that I tweaked one underneath the camera.)

KEYone Screen Lift/Separation Megathread (READ 1ST POST)-img_20210626_171727.jpg
    06-26-21 08:27 PM
    The worse part of the process to replace the screen, like replacing the keyboard, was getting the back cover back on. It's super hard to get the camera lens protector slotted in. And sure enough, I mucked up and broke the NFC contact pair right underneath the camera. Of course, I'm only guessing it's NFC. It's connecting something from the motherboard to an antenna,. NFC? Bluetooth?

After reassembling, I tested NFC with Android Beam. Worked! Next, I tried pairing with Bluetooth to a BlackBerry portable speaker, worked! Now I'm pairing to a Garmin fitness watch. So far, so good. Data is downloading.

So, is the contact pair underneath the camera for something else? Hopefully it's a duplicate NFC antenna contact point.

Wi-Fi - works
    NFC - works for Android Beam
    Garmin - works so far

Another possibility is that NFC or Bluetooth is degraded, i.e. range is reduced.

Anyone know what the contact pair underneath the camera is for?

EDIT: Okay, it's likely Bluetooth, as KEYone to Bluetooth speaker gets garbled further than a foot away.

-----

As for putting the back cover back on, I recommend cutting off the tab that goes underneath the top, to the left of the camera (when looking at the bottom). That pretty much made it difficult to align and get the camera lens protector in place. There are plenty tabs just below to keep everything snug after reassembly.
    Last edited by cbvinh; 06-29-21 at 04:39 AM.
    06-29-21 04:19 AM
1,582 ... 61626364