Hello all ,

I bought a refurbished KeyOne black edition a few months ago. It is running Android 8 , or possibly 6 (can't get into phone to check)
    This is the first Blackberry device I've had and I haven't used a lot of the functions.
    When I tried to open it the other day I got the 'incorrect password entered ' message. I thought I must have mistyped so tried again a few times. I've double checked and I am quite sure I have entered the correct password - I am now on 8/10 attempts so don't want to try again.
    I'm not sure if it's related but the night before I had been trying to transfer some photos to my laptop. I've had some difficulty with this , Fast Stone appeared not to recognise the phone.
    I bought a new cable and tried again , it downloaded a couple but then nothing.
    After a few attempts Media Espresso popped up - this came preinstalled on my laptop , usually I shut this down as soon as it appears as I don't really know how it works, and despite much googling I don't know if it's a useful program or a PUP or worse, but since it appeared to be transferring files I let it run. Initially it appeared to have worked but when I tried to open the images it said 'cannot read this file type (jpg) . This happened in Faststone and google photos
    FastStone also is now not recognising my other phone
    Could Media espresso have changed my phone settings ? (I've had no issues with the other phone , other than not being able to download photos )
    I believe if I keep entering the password the phone will wipe itself ? How bad is this ? I would rather not lose the contents of my phone but if there is no other option is it easy to set it up again ?
    Sorry for the length of this post , would appreciate any advice
    08-05-19 04:09 PM
    I believe if I keep entering the password the phone will wipe itself ? How bad is this ? I would rather not lose the contents of my phone but if there is no other option is it easy to set it up again ?
    None of those apps would be changing your password on your device. At this point, you're better off letting it wipe and seeing if that fixes the issue.
    mcbramble likes this.
    08-05-19 05:39 PM
    Thanks for the reply.
    I was afraid it would come to that , just a bit baffled as to what happened.
    08-06-19 07:30 AM
    I might do a hard reboot and then see if your password will register...
    mcbramble likes this.
    08-06-19 08:40 AM
    Has the keyboard ever been damaged? I had an issue with an old computer keyboard where a key was damaged and I couldn't enter my password correctly
    mcbramble likes this.
    08-06-19 09:02 AM
    you can try using the bootloader to boot into safe mode. If it will boot into safe mode I would suggest you set up a pattern password as well as your regular password in case there's something wrong with your keyboard. You can always remove the pattern password later. But it will save you if something's wrong with the keyboard. If you do get it to boot into safe mode that will not prevent you from backing up a lot of your stuff. Safe mode will sadly delete some things which is most of your settings as well as probably the content of your notes application unless you backed it up to something like Google Keep or some other such things. But none of it would be a disaster. It will not wipe your storage card if your storage card is not set up as an extension to the main phone. If you're worried about wiping the storage card take it out while you're doing this. Safe mode simply Boots the phone with nothing else running amongst the apps that are normally automatically run. That includes some of the built-in applications and other routines. In that case you may have a better chance of getting back into the password section and resetting your passcode for the device, setting up the pattern code as well which coexists with the numeric passcode, and getting back to a running State. At that point you may consider a full factory reset of the phone to make sure there's no dastardly junk hanging around stop.. Good luck
    mcbramble likes this.
    08-06-19 11:42 AM
    Thanks to everyone for your replies.
    I'm not aware of any damage to the keyboard . The password had been working and the last few times I tried I typed really slowly and observred the letters , all looked fine.
    There's not much on the phone , apart from some photos. The phone only had a sim card , am adding SD card now.
    Going to try putting the card in a reader before I reboot / wipe it
    Can I reboot without signing in ? (really need to read up on how it all works !)
    08-07-19 10:59 AM
    Hold the power button and volume down...
    08-08-19 02:47 PM