Before the KEYone was released, I took note in the Android play store that the default BlackBerry apps were all showing at 500,000 downloads. I assume that each newly activated KEYone phone would add to that number. Again, assuming that number only changes again when 1,000,000 installs are hit, am I safe to say they have sold significantly less than 500,000 KEYone phones since it's release?

On that, what is a reasonable target that we should expect them to achieve?
    07-15-17 08:55 PM
    Around 641,227 or 641,228...
    Flatman likes this.
    07-15-17 09:23 PM
    Before the KEYone was released, I took note in the Android play store that the default BlackBerry apps were all showing at 500,000 downloads. I assume that each newly activated KEYone phone would add to that number. Again, assuming that number only changes again when 1,000,000 installs are hit, am I safe to say they have sold significantly less than 500,000 KEYone phones since it's release?

On that, what is a reasonable target that we should expect them to achieve?
    Uh, why would software that is preloaded on a phone show up as DOWNLOADS from the app store??
    vn425, Prop_r and skinnymike1 like this.
    07-15-17 09:32 PM
    Just assumed, as why would there be 500,000 if they don't get counted?
    07-15-17 09:34 PM
    They do get counted, been over that issue many times. Blackberry said in the thousands, whatever that means.
    07-15-17 09:37 PM
    They do get counted, been over that issue many times. Blackberry said in the thousands, whatever that means.
    And this was proven where? Because the phones are pretty much loaded with the software via something like what we call autoloaders, which do not even touch google play and actually can be done completely offline. So please show me where it was shown that these get counted that way...
    07-15-17 09:51 PM
    Preloaded apps aren't counted in Google Play downloads,

Both companies told me that they do not count pre-installed apps among their numbers.

Many Android devices come with apps pre-installed that can also be downloaded via the Google Play store, but those do not count towards Play Store downloads. Only apps downloaded from the Play Store with a user account are counted.
    https://thenextweb.com/apple/2013/05...app-downloads/
    vn425 and skinnymike1 like this.
    07-15-17 11:27 PM
    Honestly I don't think anyone should expect that they've sold many at all. I would think maybe several thousand.
    07-16-17 05:30 AM
    Honestly I don't think anyone should expect that they've sold many at all. I would think maybe several thousand.
    And why do you believe this? Any stats or inside information you would like to share?
    07-16-17 06:05 AM
    And why do you believe this? Any stats or inside information you would like to share?
    Because this launch has been pretty much like every BlackBerry launch in the past few years.
    07-16-17 06:30 AM
    Because this launch has been pretty much like every BlackBerry launch in the past few years.
    Many would beg to differ.
    07-16-17 06:37 AM
    You'd beg to differ on how this launch was handled? Please elaborate on how this was any different or how you think the marketing of this phone has led to increased sales.
    07-16-17 07:04 AM
    Huh?

Honestly, this launch probably rates as the worst ever by BlackBerry/TCL/BlackBerry Mobile.

For anyone who thinks they have sold a lot of devices must really want BlackBerry to succeed against all odds.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-17 07:13 AM
    There has been zero marketing for the Keyone in the UK.
    At least for the Priv, CPW took out full page ads in the two free London daily papers to promote the "first BlackBerry Android".
    Yes, CPW do have fully working models on display in some stores, but they are lost amongst 30 or 40 other phones (except in Selfridges where there is a dedicated BlackBerry display unit).
    OK, there have been several positive reviews online, but realistically unless you are a BlackBerry fan you would most probably not be aware the Keyone exists. And you must now set against the positive reviews the screen lift issue which, let's face it, is dominating even these forums despite the official line that it be put to bed.
    I travel into the City of London on the tube everyday, and have yet to see one in the wild two and a half months after launch. And the City used to be a Blackberry hotbed so you would expect some residual goodwill.
    This lack of any promotion whatsoever is at odds with TCL's stated aim of "disrupting the UK mobile phone market". I can't understand it.
    07-16-17 08:14 AM
    Huh?

Honestly, this launch probably rates as the worst ever by BlackBerry/TCL/BlackBerry Mobile.

For anyone who thinks they have sold a lot of devices must really want BlackBerry to succeed against all odds.

Posted via CB10
    The only real K1 marketing has been Crackberry itself.

The people who read Crackberry will already know everything about the phone they need to and had made their decision to buy/not buy before it was even released.

It's pretty bad to say that the poor marketing actually helped in this case, since they didn't build anywhere near enough phones to even cover the miniscule initial demand that did exist.

So I totally agree with you.
    07-16-17 08:22 AM
    I'd say the number, realistically is 10,000 or less.
    07-16-17 09:38 AM
    I think the sales are likely very low. Absolutely no advertising in my part of the world (Vancouver, BC). I think 10,000 would be very optimistic. There was great potential to do so well as the reviews were pretty good overall, but I think any energy or hype over the KEYone has died. I would be shocked if more than 100 have been sold in Vancouver area and it is a big city. (Basing this on talking to my Bell rep where I bought mine).
    Last edited by kitmo; 07-16-17 at 11:24 AM.
    07-16-17 10:31 AM
    Here in Spain (where the K1 was presented at MWC) marketing done is none.
    Moreover the device is not sold by any operator nor distributor so I doubt the numbers here have reached some hundreds.
    Given that this is an Android country and we have more than one device per person BB Mobile is losing an opportunity here...

Posted via CB10
    07-16-17 11:35 AM
    Probably around 5000 to 10,000 units sold.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-17 11:38 AM
    NYC area saw some marketing around the soccer club NYCFC and on TV during those games. Beyond that I haven't seen much else.
    07-16-17 11:39 AM
    I think the sales are likely very low. Absolutely no advertising in my part of the world (Vancouver, BC). I think 10,000 would be very optimistic. There was great potential to do so well as the reviews were pretty good overall, but I think any energy or hype over the KEYone has died. I would be shocked if more than 100 have been sold in Vancouver area and it is a big city. (Basing this on talking to my Bell rep where I bought mine).
    Potential to do well when the overall market PKB is less than 1%? Energy and Hype? Niche phone for a small niche market. There's an entire generation that he never used a PKB and will never use a PKB.

Posted via CB10
    hrodrig23 likes this.
    07-16-17 01:53 PM
    Social marketing is all I've I've seen in US - FB and Twitter - BBM direct and indirect.
    07-16-17 02:23 PM
    BB10 devices sold better.
    mister2d likes this.
    07-16-17 02:29 PM
    Around 641,227 or 641,228...
    Why such a dubious spread?

Posted via CB10
    07-16-17 02:59 PM
    Why such a dubious spread?

Posted via CB10
    It's less boring than "Around 650,000"?? lol :-P
    anon(9188202) and Flatman like this.