I know you're joking around, but we're talking about significant threats embedded in well-known apps from legitimate sources.

BlackBerry Android provides some additional protections, but I wouldn't run with a device that is not receiving patches for long (zero months with vanilla Android, and a few months at most with BlackBerry Android).
    Who me? lol
    12-12-19 12:00 PM
    At the end of the day, you are rite the world is a dangerous place. If you look before you click on "free" and check your emails will be ok. People have to remember free is never free.
    Well Android is "free"....

I was in the boat of "it should be good for at least a year without patches" now I'm leaning towards, "every patch you miss leads you further and further into the unknown".

If I were a big PKB fan and was holding onto something pre KEY2 or LE..... I think now is the time to upgrade.
    John Albert likes this.
    12-12-19 12:02 PM
    Hence the Update train. Also many people cannot just move on, if you look at the use list by OS, it is amazing what is running what.
    That's why I would go with a Pixel or Android One phone. 3 years of guaranteed updates (in writing).

Yes it is amazing what some people still use, but that hardly makes a case for holding on to insecure devices.
    12-12-19 12:02 PM

The day patches stop on my KEY² is the day I move to another device.
    I cannot believe what I just read.

You moving away from a BlackBerry just because it's not being patched anymore??
    12-12-19 12:11 PM

You bet. BlackBerry Android might buy me an extra 2 or 3 months, but that's it.

I didn't say I'd like it, but I have to be safe - not just for my sake, but for my customers'.
    12-12-19 12:44 PM

Not everyone was here for the PKB..... many were here for the security first and the keyboard second.
    12-12-19 12:45 PM
    The issue is data at rest and keylogging on the device itself. An exploit that acheives elevated privileges can pretty much do anything it wants.
    Absolutely. That's why I limit the apps I download to only the most established ones (which reduces the likelihood of malware) and why I would only log on to my bank (which would almost certainly credit me for any fraudulent transactions) rather than my brokerage account or other vendors who might not (reducing the impact of a compromise).

Also, I don't keep my banking apps installed on my phone. When I need them, I download them, then I uninstall them after use. I only use my banking app on my phone a couple of times a month, so it's not really a bother, especially since it saves me a trip to the bank.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    12-12-19 01:12 PM
    You bet. BlackBerry Android might buy me an extra 2 or 3 months, but that's it.

I didn't say I'd like it, but I have to be safe - not just for my sake, but for my customers'.
    So much for "the most secure Android devices on the planet" if even its most faithful users will ditch them as soon as they stop receiving patches lol
    12-12-19 01:39 PM
    So much for "the most secure Android devices on the planet" if even its most faithful users will ditch them as soon as they stop receiving patches lol
    I'm actually quite comfortable that they are, so long as they are still receiving patches. I believe they are more resilient to as yet undiscovered vulnerabilities. But that can only extend so far.

By the end of next summer, we will have Pixels on Android 11, while the KEY² will be still on Oreo and not receiving patches.
    John Albert likes this.
    12-12-19 01:41 PM
    I appreciate the input everyone. For now it seems best practice to only use my iOS hardware in order to best protect my client private data. It’s one thing when it’s my data but another if someone else data.

Main concern is logging into vendor interface and exposing client address, dob and social to anyone other than me. Even w/o social, most people don’t like sharing name and dob with address nowadays.
    12-12-19 01:58 PM
    I'm actually quite comfortable that they are, so long as they are still receiving patches. I believe they are more resilient to as yet undiscovered vulnerabilities. But that can only extend so far.

By the end of next summer, we will have Pixels on Android 11, while the KEY² will be still on Oreo and not receiving patches.
    Well, if you'll grant the KEYBerry's another 3 months after EOL before you switch to #teampixel , then maybe you should buy an LE since it will get patched till October, so add 3 months and you should be typing on plastic until 2021
    12-12-19 02:08 PM
    Well, if you'll grant the KEYBerry's another 3 months after EOL before you switch to #teampixel , then maybe you should buy an LE since it will get patched till October, so add 3 months and you should be typing on plastic until 2021
    I'm not saying I won't keep using my KEY² - just that it won't/can't be my primary device.
    Last edited by conite; 12-12-19 at 02:42 PM.
    12-12-19 02:29 PM
    Hence the Update train. Also many people cannot just move on, if you look at the use list by OS, it is amazing what is running what.
    There has to be additional precautions for Android on older OS's with updates through GPS or one would think a GIANT class action would be filed against Google, App devs and vendors and the various OEM's for insecure liable device(s). @ 89 percent of ALL Android users are on OS versions less than PIE and without monthly patches.
    12-12-19 02:30 PM
    I'm not saying I won't keep using my KEY² - just that it wont be my primary device.
    I'm still surprised that your curiosity didn't make you get your hands on an LE yet.

Wouldn't you want to experience BBMo's most flawless device?
    12-12-19 02:36 PM
    I'm still surprised that your curiosity didn't make you get your hands on an LE yet.

Wouldn't you want to experience BBMo's most flawless device?
    I am already. My KEY².

I couldn't get along without backswipe.
    12-12-19 02:43 PM
    So, I should / must get rid of my KeyOne now? 😲
    John Albert likes this.
    12-12-19 03:00 PM
    So, I should / must get rid of my KeyOne now?
    Hopefully AT&T will have a Dec patch. I will make an autoloader for as many other device variants as I can.
    12-12-19 03:05 PM
    So, I should / must get rid of my KeyOne now? ������
    That's up to you....

It is less secure without the patches and there is a known major vulnerability... It's like riding in a car without a seat belt or air bags, millions use to do it, and many still do.
    John Albert likes this.
    12-12-19 03:08 PM
    That's up to you....

It is less secure without the patches and there is a known major vulnerability... It's like riding in a car without a seat belt or air bags, millions use to do it, and many still do.
    So if using a KEYone that recently stopped receiving patches is like driving a 60's car with no airbags or seatbelts, then what is using a Priv in 2020 compared to?
    A car without brakes where you need to drag your foot on the floor to slow it down like the Flinstones mobile??
    John Albert likes this.
    12-12-19 03:12 PM
    Bell..
    12-12-19 03:20 PM
    Hopefully AT&T will have a Dec patch. I will make an autoloader for as many other device variants as I can.
    I taught they ended in September?

There has been and Oct and Nov patch?
    12-12-19 03:24 PM

There has been and Oct and Nov patch?
    Yes.

I figure they will keep going as long as they still sell them.
    12-12-19 03:26 PM
    Yes.

I figure they will keep going as long as they still sell them.
    AT&T must of really had a solid contract with BBMo....
    12-12-19 03:29 PM
    I appreciate the input everyone. For now it seems best practice to only use my iOS hardware in order to best protect my client private data. It’s one thing when it’s my data but another if someone else data.

Main concern is logging into vendor interface and exposing client address, dob and social to anyone other than me. Even w/o social, most people don’t like sharing name and dob with address nowadays.
    I think in your case, I would manage client data on as few devices as possible, even without published threats. Shrinking your attack surface is always a good idea when it comes to protecting confidentiality. Fewer devices, fewer apps, fewer networks, fewer integrations, etc.

12-12-19 03:44 PM
    AT&T must of really had a solid contract with BBMo....
    I'm going to do a lot of smiling if my AT&T KEYone is still receiving patches after the KEY2 isn't!

12-12-19 03:46 PM
80 1234