Hi. My phone drives me nuts. The reception. It's embarrassing. Quite often, but not all the time, people can't hear or understand me at all. And I am constantly trying to hold it perfectly so I am talking directly into the mic...
    Anyways, thinking of sending it away, or getting new warranty phone.
    (Mine is original "silver" edition)

My question.... Is anybody's phone working totally fine in regards to reception or would I just be wasting my time getting a replacement??

Telus British Columbia area.
    03-29-18 11:43 AM
    I don't talk on my phone a lot, but when I do I often have to end the call and call from my office landline. It's a huge pain in the butt. They sound super robotic and hard to understand, but can often hear me just fine. I think it's a service issue for me, though. I tried a pre-paid SIM and my calls were a lot cleaner.
    03-29-18 11:46 AM
    This is what I like about the keyone, is it not primarily a phone ?
    chrissycee1975 likes this.
    03-29-18 01:01 PM
    I have a KeyOne Limited Edition Black on AT&T in the US. I get better and more reliable signal than on my Priv and HTC One M9. My HTC One M8 got bad enough signal that I had to use a femtocell. Haven't had this good of reception in a long time.
    03-29-18 02:59 PM
    when I hard ATT I was very frustrated with the reception. when I switched to t mobile I have been amazed by the difference. the WiFi calling is a big deal, it's actually made the battery life better. I live in a Houston suburb, ATT is king but thanks to t mobile I am loving my keyone again for sure.
    03-29-18 03:30 PM
    This is what I like about the keyone, is it not primarily a phone ?
    Is any smartphone primarily a phone anymore? [insert philosoraptor]

It all depends on how you use it.
    03-29-18 04:10 PM
    Mine is great but I really think it works much better with HD calling. Before it was activated, the quality was poor.
    03-29-18 04:16 PM
    Perhaps all this talk that has been going on since the very beginning is due to your carrier of choice and your signal at any given place.

When I got my K1, I had AT&T. AT&T is horrible at my house which is 35 miles outside of Downtown Phoenix. In Downtown at my work it wasn't any better. I had issues with dropped calls, bad connections, etc.

I switched to T-Mobile and now I have perfect reception at both those places and everywhere in between. Crystal clear calls (I don't use WiFi calling), no dropped calls, nothing bad.

While the hardware might not be the best in the K1, I believe most, not all, people's issues stem from carrier and signal rather than the hardware in the device.
    03-29-18 04:56 PM
    Wow. I called Telus technical, and we switched to WCDMA only on carrier settings, did a reboot, and seems to be working well so far....
    Fingers crossed, thanks for the replies everyone!
    03-29-18 05:07 PM
    Wow. I called Telus technical, and we switched to WCDMA only on carrier settings, did a reboot, and seems to be working well so far....
    Fingers crossed, thanks for the replies everyone!
    Glad it worked out!

I am running a silver edition Keyone on Telus network; and I got no complaints.
    03-30-18 05:54 PM
    Hi. My phone drives me nuts. The reception. It's embarrassing. Quite often, but not all the time, people can't hear or understand me at all. And I am constantly trying to hold it perfectly so I am talking directly into the mic...
    Anyways, thinking of sending it away, or getting new warranty phone.
    (Mine is original "silver" edition)

My question.... Is anybody's phone working totally fine in regards to reception or would I just be wasting my time getting a replacement??

Telus British Columbia area.
    my original Day One silver edition KEYone has been on T-mobile here in the US since launch day on May 31st, 2017. Calls are crystal clear, no reception issues, ppl i call have said I sound VERY Clear even in noisy areas, no screen pop issues, no lag issues, and i've dropped the phone possibly 6-7 times on hardwood floor, carpet, etc (with a case on, of course!) all is good with my phone and i'm very happy with it
    03-30-18 05:59 PM
    Just tried the "networks reset" and things really seem to be better!!
    03-30-18 06:33 PM
    when I hard ATT I was very frustrated with the reception. when I switched to t mobile I have been amazed by the difference. the WiFi calling is a big deal, it's actually made the battery life better. I live in a Houston suburb, ATT is king but thanks to t mobile I am loving my keyone again for sure.
    I'm in the area as well (in between Katy & Sugar Land)... had to buy a microcell on Amazon because AT&T is non-existent in my house. Plus, I'm using the unlocked BE and have been told by AT&T they don't offer wifi calling for the device.
    04-01-18 12:43 PM
    i have a super bad reception on this phone. People can't hear me well and I can't hear them. it's an embarassment. I guess that's what you get when you team up with cheap chinese company.
    04-02-18 03:39 AM
    BE has been good so far. better thank priv, knock on wood. Carrier is AT&T
    04-02-18 08:03 AM
    I'm in the area as well (in between Katy & Sugar Land)... had to buy a microcell on Amazon because AT&T is non-existent in my house. Plus, I'm using the unlocked BE and have been told by AT&T they don't offer wifi calling for the device.
    I live in Missouri City, I originally switch to t mobile by myself and left the family on att just in case. After this first month I just switched the whole family over. On top of the WiFi calling, better reception, I just got 6 lines with unlimited data cheaper on t mobile than 5 lines on att sharing 22 gigs. Also they sent me a cell booster for the house for free, paid for my Netflix and I got MLB at bat for free so I can follow my Rangers down here in Houston. You could say so far, I have enjoyed the switch to t-mobile.
    04-02-18 08:22 AM
    I live in Missouri City, I originally switch to t mobile by myself and left the family on att just in case. After this first month I just switched the whole family over. On top of the WiFi calling, better reception, I just got 6 lines with unlimited data cheaper on t mobile than 5 lines on att sharing 22 gigs. Also they sent me a cell booster for the house for free, paid for my Netflix and I got MLB at bat for free so I can follow my Rangers down here in Houston. You could say so far, I have enjoyed the switch to t-mobile.
    I'd leave AT&T in a heartbeat, but unfortunately it's my work phone and they won't let me switch to another carrier.
    04-02-18 09:11 AM
    I've had Blackberries for years living at the same semi-rural address with the same carrier - Telstra here being the major carrier - with never a reception problem. However, my Keyone is now living in my bottom drawer as it is virtually useless and source of frustration with dropped out calls and difficulty making myself understood - despite countless attempts to fix the problem - still not acknowledged by Blackberry to my understanding. I have had friends, including my wife at my house with HTC's, Samsung's, Apples etc. all can make calls without a problem. I would only wish that reviewers would actually test this feature of phones (the ability to make calls) when doing their tests - I would be most reluctant to buy another Blackberry until I see a thorough test of this ability first. I have since purchased a Samsung S8 which has no reception problems at all - sad - because I loved the Keyone but I need more than a city phone.
    04-04-18 06:47 PM
    I've had Blackberries for years living at the same semi-rural address with the same carrier - Telstra here being the major carrier - with never a reception problem. However, my Keyone is now living in my bottom drawer as it is virtually useless and source of frustration with dropped out calls and difficulty making myself understood - despite countless attempts to fix the problem - still not acknowledged by Blackberry to my understanding. I have had friends, including my wife at my house with HTC's, Samsung's, Apples etc. all can make calls without a problem. I would only wish that reviewers would actually test this feature of phones (the ability to make calls) when doing their tests - I would be most reluctant to buy another Blackberry until I see a thorough test of this ability first. I have since purchased a Samsung S8 which has no reception problems at all - sad - because I loved the Keyone but I need more than a city phone.
    Does your phone have a gel case on it, like an Incipio or Seidio? I've heard that it can help. I've got gel case on my KEYone and it seems to help.
    04-04-18 06:56 PM
    It has a Noreve Leather case, the same as is on my Samsung and my wife's HTC and my Passport.
    04-04-18 07:00 PM
    It has a Noreve Leather case, the same as is on my Samsung and my wife's HTC and my Passport.
    Not sure if that will help like the gel cases do. I can't even remember the explanation for why it helps to use a gel case. I figured the $10 I spent on Amazon worth the risk and I bought the case before I received the phone.
    04-04-18 07:09 PM
    My BlackBerry KEYone works perfectly as a telephone. If there is an audio quality issue, it is due to the other party being in a poor reception area including surprisingly when they are driving on the ON-401.
    04-04-18 07:48 PM
    My Passport got much better reception in the same areas I use my KEYone with the same carrier. Gel case has helped, but for me, the KEYone has the poorest reception of any phone I have owned, particularly in remote, rural areas where there are fewer towers.
    04-04-18 08:19 PM
    I must say the reception on my Classic was better than Keyone, in terms of sound quality for phone calls; local and international. Keyone has more of a cold tin/metallic sound versus what felt like a warm and muffled snugly on the Classic..(using Bell Network)
    04-04-18 08:36 PM
    I have the Silver edition and have experienced issues with phone calls, particularly that callers occasionally cannot hear me. I can't use it on speaker unless I hold the phone up to my face (which is going to land me a traffic ticket if I'm not careful). I'm kind of annoyed about it and am debating returning to my trusty Q10. I could leave it in the storage compartment of my car and have a hands-free conversation with no problem. With the K1, some callers can't hear me after a few minutes. Not sure if it's the phone or the poor signal that I occasionally have (I'm on the Fido network, owned by Rogers).
    OriginalLucy likes this.
    04-06-18 04:44 PM
31 12