Got a GSM KeyONE and, when I connect an aux cable to the car stereo, I hear audio on car speakers for, at least, some apps. Early days. For example, I made a phone call to my landline voicemail while connected this way and my voice was recorded in the message, as well as hearing audio on the car speakers.

This is using a m/m 3.5mm 2-ring 3-pole aux cable. With my Q10, the same setup would play radio and map navigation over the car speakers concurrently and reliably, for example. With the KeyONE, it presents a notification, "Headset connected", when I plug the cable. When I open the radio app, there is a notification to "Insert headphones. Headphones function as a radio antenna." The radio gui is unresponsive. It shows my last-tuned channel but doesn't respond to taps.

When I plug in the headset shipped with KeyONE, bingo, bango, bongo, radio plays fine over those. I've already tried using a new aux cable. Only other thing I can imagine is that this phone needs a 3-ring 4-pole TRRS cable, like the headphones, to play over AUX or it just doesn't work, which would be sucky.
    11-01-17 09:43 AM
    With the KeyONE, it presents a notification, "Headset connected", when I plug the cable. When I open the radio app, there is a notification to "Insert headphones. Headphones function as a radio antenna." The radio gui is unresponsive. It shows my last-tuned channel but doesn't respond to taps..
    I always use the aux cable in my car with my KeyOne for the Map and an Internet radio app. No issues. I usually use the car radio for regular radio and haven't thought about using the KeyOne as the radio simultaneously. Makes sense. I will now have to try this setup you have and see what happens. I do remember seeing the Headset icon. Technically, it should treat the aux cable as an antenna unless you're right about the specifications. Hmmm.

Now you got me curious, but I won't be able to try this out until tonight. How does it know????

By the way, having the built-in radio in my BlackBerry devices has always been a plus for me as a fallback to Disaster Preparedness (doesn't depend on cell towers or wifi).

Thank you for posting this. Hopefully, someone can get back to you soon. Intriguing!
    11-01-17 11:21 AM
    I always use the aux cable in my car with my KeyOne for the Map and an Internet radio app.
    Are you using a different radio app than what comes bundled with KeyONE? I'm using the built-in app:

What's yours?
    11-01-17 11:33 AM
    Are you using a different radio app than what comes bundled with KeyONE? I'm using the built-in app:

What's yours?
    So, in my scenario I use an Internet Radio (Pandora, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, Amazon Music). The built-in radio is like whatever the car radio would pick up, so I never tried using the KeyOne's built-in radio while in the car, but I do use it with regular headphones at other times.
    11-01-17 11:45 AM
    One other detail: does your aux cable happen to be 4-pole 3-ring TRRS or 3-pole 2-ring?
    Thanks.
    11-01-17 11:57 AM
    Wait, are you trying to play the radio on your phone to play through your car stereo? Why don't you just use the car radio??
    11-01-17 12:40 PM
    I sometimes find it convenient to listen to radio, navigation directions, and be able to take calls by using auxiliary. My car stereo gives me radio or auxiliary. Without radio over auxiliary, I can't use auxiliary and listen to radio at the same time whereas I could do that with Q10, as described earlier.
    11-01-17 12:57 PM
    I essentially pasted the OP in the contact form at Blackberry Mobile KeyONE Support yesterday. Fairly soon, I got a friendly reply that speaks well for the responsiveness and a hope for resolution from Blackberry Mobile. +1 The advice to start radio without the cable plugged might be a bit dubious. Long story short, for now, after a force stop and reboot, which might or might not be relevant, the radio has worked in a brief test over my 3-pole cable. I wrote 3-ring by mistake in the email thread with support, quoted below, and sent a follow-up correction.

Hi Laura,
    Thanks for your reply. Initially, starting the radio first, then plugging the auxiliary cable when asked for it didn't seem to work. After some playing with it, including force stop radio and rebooting the phone, starting the radio has worked over the 3-ring auxiliary cable, with a brief test of navigation and using the phone concurrently. After clearing all the apps and leaving the auxiliary cable plugged, the radio started and worked over auxiliary while the cable was left plugged in. Maybe it will continue to work that way, like Q10 did. We'll see! Hopefully, I've got it sorted.
    Thanks again.
    Rolf

On 11/01/2017 10:13 AM, BlackBerry Mobile Customer Care wrote:
    > Dear Rolf,
    >
    > Thank you for contacting BlackBerry KEYone support, in order for us to better assist you, could you please supply us with the following details:
    >
    > Full name:
    > Phone number:
    > State:
    > Carrier:
    > Model:
    > IMEI:
    >
    > If the auxiliary/headphones are already connected to the phone and then you open the Radio normally it'll ask to connect the headphones because it won't detect that they're already plug in, when this happens please remove the auxiliary/headphones and then with the radio app opened connect the headphones/auxiliary, the device will recognize it then.
    >
    > We look forward to your reply!
    >
    > Thank you for choosing BlackBerry Mobile as your daily communication device.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    >
    > Laura Sanchez
    >
    > BlackBerry® Mobile Care.
    11-02-17 10:02 AM
    LOVE the FM radio. I live in a city with great FM stations, and I live turning off my data services and listening at my desk, on my commute, and at sporting events. For the World Series, I listened to the games on my KEYone while watching TV with the volume turned down. I used the pause on the DVR to sync up the action.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    coffee-turtle and andy957 like this.
    11-02-17 10:21 AM
    "The advice to start radio without the cable plugged might be a bit dubious. "

What's the verdict?
    11-02-17 02:35 PM
    Next day, behavior reverted: I had to reboot to get the lash-up to work. I'm going to hammer on it, maybe see if one of my added-on apps is creating a conflict. Stay tuned.
    11-02-17 02:45 PM
    I reported the regression and have seen what, I'm afraid, are the true colors of bbmobile support. My expectations are not high that earnest troubleshooting and resolution will be forthcoming from those quarters. Maybe I should lather, rinse, repeat with Amazon, who "fulfilled" my purchase. If only I could find some other reports of this loss of function.

There is no auxiliary cable that comes with the KEYone!!! Repeatedly, I've described how the same cables and same car stereo work with my Q10.

You have no idea what we are talking about. Is there anyone there who does? You don't even acknowledge what I have written and you expect me to believe the cable is at fault, all 4 of them?? That is insulting.

Look at all of my time that you have wasted. Just wait until I get that survey.

On 11/03/2017 08:05 AM, BlackBerry Mobile Customer Care wrote:
    > Hi Rolf,
    >
    > Thank you for the information provided.
    >
    > The auxiliary cable that you use to connect the KEYone to your phone, is the original cable for KEYone? Based in what you described it sounds pretty much a cable connectivity issue.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Laura Sanchez
    >
    >
    > ------------------- Original Message -------------------
    > From: Rolf Pedersen
    > Received: 11/3/2017 7:32 AM
    > To: BlackBerry Mobile Customer Care; Contact center BB
    > Subject: Re: Contact from web site BlackBerry CRM:000008900002167
    >
    > Unfortunately, the next time I tried to use Radio over auxiliary, it did not work.
    >
    > It works with the headset that came with the phone. It works with my other headphones connected by a 2-ring, 3-pole plug. It works with the headphones even if the headphones are plugged before Radio is started.
    >
    > In the car, after exiting from Radio, clearing the tile from the Recent screen, and, with the auxiliary cable unplugged from the phone, I would start Radio. The notification asked for headphones. I plugged the cable. Radio screen showed "Headset connected" and, at the same time, "Insert headphones. Headphones function as a radio antenna."
    >
    > I can tap BACK in the notification and Radio closes. If I tap CONTINUE, The radio does not work. My last channel is displayed as tuned. Play and other buttons do nothing. The items in the menu are all greyed out except Exit. When I tap Exit, I can hear the gui "click" sound over the car speakers and Radio closes, so the phone is outputting audio to the car auxiliary but Radio does not.
    >
    > I've found that Phone and Maps navigation directions, along with OK Google all work over the car speakers with the (correction->) 2-ring, 3-pole cable connected to Auxiliary. I've tried 20 or 30 times, rebooting the phone several times. Radio worked once or twice.
    >
    > Let me point out that Radio worked with the same cable, same car on my Blackberry Q10 without any need to start the app with the cable unconnected. I've tried the original auxiliary cable, which worked with Q10, and 2 new auxiliary cables with KeyONE Radio and, at best, it will rarely work. I think the Radio app or, possibly KeyOne is broken. I'm including the details you asked for previously.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Full name: Rolf Pedersen
    > Phone number: +1 ##########
    > State: California
    > Carrier: T-Mobile
    > Model: BBB100-1 Bought from Amazon: http://a.co/gbR3ur3
    > IMEI: ################
    >
    >
    > On 11/02/2017 07:36 AM, BlackBerry Mobile Customer Care wrote:
    >
    > Hi Rolf,
    >
    > Thank you for your feedback. The case will now be set as resolved and proceed to be closed but do not worry, if you need anything else you can reply to this email on the next 5 days, contact us via web form or support number 1-855-223-4034.
    >
    > Also, we’d like to inform that once the case is closed, you will receive an email with a link to a survey where you can provide us your feedback regarding your support and device experience. Your feedback will be truly appreciated.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Laura Sanchez
    >
    > BlackBerry® Mobile Care (1-855-223-4034)
    11-03-17 06:11 PM
    I'm not sure the KEYone is designed to provide FM radio with an AUX Out cable. I'm not sure if the fact that it's grounded to the car makes its performance as an antennae viable.

Last edited by bb10adopter111; 11-03-17 at 06:46 PM.
    andy957 likes this.
    11-03-17 06:29 PM
    Plausible theory. It has worked about 3 or 4 times, though.
    11-03-17 06:35 PM
    Plausible theory. It has worked about 3 or 4 times, though.
    Intermittent problems are the worst to troubleshoot!

11-03-17 06:47 PM
    The support experience at Amazon was pleasant. The representative was vey polite and had a soothing manner for what can be a tough job, I'm sure. She extended my return window for the phone at Amazon from 11/19 to 11/30 and assured me that, in case Blackberry failed to honor their one-year warranty, Amazon would. She spent time consulting with her associates and online research. One thing that came up was a possibility of compatibility problems with my (old) car stereo unit, which is, also, plausible but, I think, remote. I'm not in a hurry to return the phone as it might be common to the hardware or software of any KeyONE. The phone was just updated to AAQ302, I've got a 4-pole cable on the way, I can try to find a different car for comparison testing, and there is still time.

Hello Rolf,

Hope you are having a wonderful day. I'm sorry that you Blackberry radio is not playing on your car stereo. There are several possible point of failure, first could be that there is a compatibility issues between car stereo and the phones. Second possible point of failure is the Aux port on the phone it self. No worries you have until November 30, 2017 to decide if you want to keep the item, otherwise feel free to contact us and we will be happy to process a refund for you.

Aside from that you also have a 1 year warranty from Blackberry and if in any case they wont honor it, you have nothing to worry Amazon will have your back.

Please do not hesitate to let us know fi you need assistance and it will be a pleasure assisting you.
    For future product issues on certain items, you can get help from a technical expert, send items for repair and more through Get Product Support in Your Orders. Learn more

We'd appreciate your feedback. Please use the buttons below to vote about your experience today.

Best regards,
    Eva
    Amazon.com
    11-04-17 11:06 AM
    Common to my experience of nearly all internet "support" is agents who ignore what I've offered as the particulars of the complaint, ask for those particulars, again, and produce "explanations" that do not logically follow from those facts.

After my heated complaint to that effect, another agent was given to my case who, at least, acknowledged other reports of the FM Radio not working over auxiliary cable.

I will be taking over this case now, I apologize for the previous experience you went through with the last representative. I am aware about the situation you are going through right now and with aux cord it is not possible without a headphone cord, there's no antenna so it wont transmit audio through your car speakers. You can only hear through headphones/aux while placing device on speaker. I have received several cases with same situation as you and it is all the same.
    I gave the new fella, Diego, one mulligan and patiently pointed out the previously reported fact,

As I've already written, there were several times the Keyone played the FM radio app over an auxiliary cable to my car stereo.
    Those times, I had to perform some combination of force stop, reboot, repeatedly plugging/re-plugging the cable to the phone before/after the app was started.
    There is no reliable way to get it to work but it stops working when I try later.
    With the Q10, the FM radio played over the same cable to the same car radio every time, whether the cable was plugged before/after the app was started.
    The auxiliary cable, obviously, served as the antenna for the Q10 without any trouble always and worked for the Keyone on a few occasions that involved way too much work. I tried several cables, including the one that always works with Q10, two or three new 2-ring cables, and one new TRRS 3-ring cable, all of which I bought for this problem.
    Read my reports I originally gave. Feel free to say you don't know what the problem is and to pass it along to someone whose response illustrates taking the facts I report into account or just leave me alone.
    That got me:

I will get this escalated to our engineering team to review those reports. I will notify you once then run some tests.
    then, today, 4 days later,

We just received a response from our engineering team, they mentioned that it will not work properly because aux cord interferes with the signal. We are aware about this issue and working on this so in the next few software update it should be resolved.
    and, almost immediately after I thanked Diego for what would be a welcome resolution,

In regards to your open case: ALC-1185185; we are emailing to follow up with your support request that has been set as resolved, if you consider that we still need to follow up with you please respond to this email without changing the subject, we´ll be pleased to give the necessary follow up. Just so you are aware, if we don't receive a response during the next 5 days we will close your case.

But don't worry! Your case number ALC-1185185 will continue to remain in our records with all notes and email correspondence associated. This will allow us to continue working on your investigation when it's convenient for you.
    I'll remain slightly hopeful that action will be forthcoming that speaks louder than these words.
    11-17-17 10:42 AM
    Not sure if it will make a difference, but heres something you can physically try, and might end up with a cleaner signal at the end..

Back in my car audio days, before BT/etc, I ran a lot of aux inputs.. Had a lotta funky noise from alternators/etc.. In that situation I would install a ground loop isolator inline with the aux line (essentially a small transformer) This may help your situation, if nothing else will help to clean up the signal..

avail here: https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Ground-...UvbUpU13074625

good luck

-j
    rolfep and FF22 like this.
    11-18-17 12:00 AM
    I'll give one a try, thanks.
    11-18-17 03:54 AM
    I have only used aux with Google Play but had to toggle Settings/Developer Options/Disable USB audio routing to fix an "intermittent" loss of connectivity through my aux line
    rolfep likes this.
    11-18-17 05:36 AM
    I have only used aux with Google Play but had to toggle Settings/Developer Options/Disable USB audio routing to fix an "intermittent" loss of connectivity through my aux line
    I tried this, with 2- and 3-ring cables, starting radio plugged and unplugged, both ends. It didn't make a difference with this that I can see. Thanks, anyway. As before, phone recognizes the cable as headphones are plugged but radio does not or, when the "plug headphones" message seems to be satisfied and dismisses, nothing in the radio works but "Exit" from the menu and swiping the channels moves the tuner. No sound but a bit of popping that corresponds to taps in the gui. This is without the engine running, so I'm a bit skeptical that noise is the issue, but I'll try the isolator when I get it.
    11-19-17 01:20 PM
    Not sure if it will make a difference, but heres something you can physically try, and might end up with a cleaner signal at the end..

Back in my car audio days, before BT/etc, I ran a lot of aux inputs.. Had a lotta funky noise from alternators/etc.. In that situation I would install a ground loop isolator inline with the aux line (essentially a small transformer) This may help your situation, if nothing else will help to clean up the signal..

avail here: https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Ground-...UvbUpU13078276

good luck

-j
    I don't have Prime and Santa Clara is nearby, so I got this one: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...72.m2749.l2649

Like throwing a switch, the radio app plays promptly through the auxiliary cable when this adapter is inline. I've talked to 'hey google' and listened to the radio with driving directions pausing the radio feed to play navigation instructions.

I'll repeat, Q10 just does it without any filter, same vehicle, same cable, same stereo.

Thanks.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-22-17 08:57 PM
    good stuff
    FF22 and rolfep like this.
    11-23-17 12:14 AM