I will buy this, and look forward to it. However, I think not accepting pre-orders at the time of the MWC launch gave it too much time to simmer. I find it troubling to see a company blow a significant opportunity. No functional "pitchman" during launch (it was dry and boring), and no pre-orders. With the Samsung 8 about to launch, it may eat into KEYones small expected marketshare. This could have been a great time to re-establish global relevance. I still love the devices....
    jsecompany and tnewton3 like this.
    03-20-17 05:12 PM
    With the Samsung 8 about to launch, it may eat into KEYones small expected marketshare.
    Yes, the slab device might totally eat into the keyboard devices marketshare.
    BigBadWulf and tnewton3 like this.
    03-20-17 05:24 PM
    But but but, the KEYOne is ONLY made for those who want a keyboard, it's a niche phone, it's meant for business people...........[insert other pathetic excuses]

I totally agree, the timing was waaaayyyy off, same with Sony, their Xperia XZ Premium only lands in June, but at least the normal XZ arrives sooner - that's the thing when you are a "niche" player (neither Sony or BB aren't, but their fans like to try hard to believe they are), you need to have at least another device or some sort of other launch or marketing hype that can keep the hype going.
    03-20-17 05:26 PM
    But but but, the KEYOne is ONLY made for those who want a keyboard, it's a niche phone, it's meant for business people...........[insert other pathetic excuses]
    lol

Here's another excuse then. Not even the same price bracket. KEYone comes in at 599€ while the S8 comes in at 799€ and the S8+ is 899€. Those are big jumps in pricing. I agree they should have had some pre-order system open to lock people into somewhat of a commitment, but I think the S8 effect is a tad bit exaggerated here.

Anyone who wants an S8 is already all in on an S8 and anyone who wants a KEYone is already all in on a KEYone. I don't think there's going to be many impulse buyers out there hanging onto one or the other here, nor will there be an influx of them last minute. Much like BlackBerry has those who will buy regardless, Samsung already has their established base of core buyers. The type of device, the pricing, and the specs are huge differentiators here. You're already sold on one or the other at this point.

The S8 has already leaked so much now, Samsung might as well not even bother with an announcement lol. Which kind of raises another point as well, although, it's admittedly minor given Samsung's ability to roll these things out with the quickness - the S8 isn't officially up for pre-order either.
    zensen and BigBadWulf like this.
    03-20-17 05:29 PM
    lol

Here's another excuse then. Not even the same price bracket. KEYone comes in at 599€ while the S8 comes in at 799€ and the S8+ is 899€. Those are big jumps in pricing.
    Yeah...We can only hope the KEYone will steal enough would-be Galaxy S8 buyers in price alone when it already has better specced 2016 phones that will come down in price to compete with, devices like the Galaxy S7, Google Pixel, ZTE Axon 7, Huawei Honor 8, OnePlus 3T etc etc...
    03-20-17 05:38 PM
    It's indeed a niche product for keyboard and security lovers. They are not trying to attract other types of smartphone users, not anymore.

Just let it go, BlackBerry fans... BlackBerry did and it's okay.
    03-20-17 05:41 PM
    They don't even need to steal would be S8 buyers. They need to steal BB10 holdouts and BlackBerry Android fans.

Then slowly grab previous BlackBerry users and new ones over time.
    03-20-17 05:50 PM
    Yes, the slab device might totally eat into the keyboard devices marketshare.
    But Bla1ze! Samsung may have an awesome keyboard case coming very soon.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-17 05:57 PM
    So S8 is launching March 29 (I actually had to google it, since I don't care, I never tried to find out and didn't know). KEYOne is (allegedly) launching April. I bet most people don't even know the KEYOne is coming. They know an S8 is coming (because of course it is, 8 comes after 7!), but they might not know when. People who follow closely the mobile industry's news are a small subset of people actually using them.

I'm of a mind to say the deafening silence doesn't really matter for now.

Some people will eagerly upgrade as soon as they know the S8 is available. These are the enthusiasts, the early adopters, the gotta-have-it types...and some of the people described above. How many of these people, even if they knew the exact time and date KEYOne is coming, would buy a KEYOne instead? Probably not very many. They're a lost cause.

Most people will wait for a plan upgrade, or until their phone breaks, or they just get tired of it. Of those people, how many are likely to consider the KEYOne? That depends heavily on marketing and word-of-mouth. Pre-launch marketing won't do much good for these people, they'd never see it anyway. These people need to see it when it's relevant: when the phone is available.
    03-20-17 06:25 PM
    You can't blame this on BlackBerry because TCL is now full control in marketing keyone. Alcatel used to have pre-order specials so we can see something similar.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-17 07:10 PM
    lol

Here's another excuse then. Not even the same price bracket. KEYone comes in at 599€ while the S8 comes in at 799€ and the S8+ is 899€. Those are big jumps in pricing. I agree they should have had some pre-order system open to lock people into somewhat of a commitment, but I think the S8 effect is a tad bit exaggerated here.

Anyone who wants an S8 is already all in on an S8 and anyone who wants a KEYone is already all in on a KEYone. I don't think there's going to be many impulse buyers out there hanging onto one or the other here, nor will there be an influx of them last minute. Much like BlackBerry has those who will buy regardless, Samsung already has their established base of core buyers. The type of device, the pricing, and the specs are huge differentiators here. You're already sold on one or the other at this point.

The S8 has already leaked so much now, Samsung might as well not even bother with an announcement lol. Which kind of raises another point as well, although, it's admittedly minor given Samsung's ability to roll these things out with the quickness - the S8 isn't officially up for pre-order either.
    Oh Bla1ze you forgot to mention they may have a "Fire Sale" too. lol.
    03-21-17 01:50 AM
    They don't even need to steal would be S8 buyers. They need to steal BB10 holdouts and BlackBerry Android fans.

Then slowly grab previous BlackBerry users and new ones over time.
    They wont get me for sure. Not with this silly android button toolbelt. Maybe the next qwerty will be better designed!
    Will stick with BB10(Q10, Passport) and Moto X Force for now.

#soon , later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen
    03-21-17 02:02 AM
    [QUOTE=Q10Bold;12810997]They wont get me for sure. Not with this silly android button toolbelt. Maybe the next qwerty will be better designed!

#soon , later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen[/QUOTE

If I understand your posts over the last two weeks, you were not in favor of the KEYone, from almost the first day.... and you have maintained your position. We get it... You don't want the phone. Are you trying to convince us that we should not want it either?
    iUser likes this.
    03-21-17 03:30 AM
    They wont get me for sure. Not with this silly android button toolbelt.
    Every Android phone will have it, so that will be a long wait indeed.
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    03-21-17 05:41 AM
    They wont get me for sure. Not with this silly android button toolbelt. Maybe the next qwerty will be better designed!
    Wow. Just because of a 'silly toolbelt' you prefer using 3 devices instead of just one? Ok

Sent from my  BlackBerry Passport™
    03-21-17 05:47 AM
    Wow. Just because of a 'silly toolbelt' you prefer using 3 devices instead of just one? Ok

Sent from my  BlackBerry Passport™
    No. I've got 3 lines.

#soon , later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen
    03-21-17 05:53 AM
    So, now we are comparing the KEYone with the S8?

This gets better and better everyday...
    03-21-17 05:56 AM
    [QUOTE=jakie55;12811029]

#soon , later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen[/QUOTE

If I understand your posts over the last two weeks, you were not in favor of the KEYone, from almost the first day.... and you have maintained your position. We get it... You don't want the phone. Are you trying to convince us that we should not want it either?
    For sure, but I've got the right to comment, just like everybody else. Or would you like just to see/read your truth..that the keyone is 'fantastic'..... come on!! Its not!!!!
    Maybe somebody at tcl is looking at the threads and the next qwerty device will have a proper toolbelt or at least on screen buttons. Now its just a waste of screen size.
    I dont have a problem with android and yes BB10 is ok for my needs. I have a problem with BB in general for their stupid decisions like this time with the dumb toolbelt...

via Passport OG
    03-21-17 06:06 AM
    Maybe somebody at tcl is looking at the threads and the next qwerty device will have a proper toolbelt or at least on screen buttons. Now its just a waste of screen size.
    I dont have a problem with android and yes BB10 is ok for my needs. I have a problem with BB in general for their stupid decisions like this time with the dumb toolbelt...

via Passport OG
    The design decision was to ensure a 3:2 screen at all times, as it was felt this was the minimum size necessary to provide a good Android experience.

If the toolbelt was onscreen - this criteria would be compromised.

What would you suggest?
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-21-17 07:27 AM
    The design decision was to ensure a 3:2 screen at all times, as it was felt this was the minimum size necessary to provide a good Android experience.

If the toolbelt was onscreen - this criteria would be compromised.

What would you suggest?
    I know its because of the screen ratio and you are right. They could add the call + end call buttons and it would be a decent android toolbelt. (+ some oldschool flair)
    Or making the on screen buttons and reduce the high of the device.
    I dont know who is developing at BlackBerry /Tlc, but its again a stupid HW decision. They are still not listening to users. We will see...hope they are doing fine with the keyone. I am waiting for another qwerty device...maybe forever.

via Passport OG
    03-21-17 09:23 AM
    I dont know who is developing at BlackBerry /Tlc, but its again a stupid HW decision. They are still not listening to users.

via Passport OG
    They are not listening to "a user".

Besides according to your signature you're on a Passport, which doesn't have a toolbelt.

I'm sorry, I just don't get the big issue here.
    raseru03 and BigBadWulf like this.
    03-21-17 09:33 AM

How can you say you won't like the device when you haven't even tried it? Do you carry two devices for work and personal or because you like the PKB and app suite combination?

You might be surprised by the KEYone if you were to give it a true test drive (at least two weeks). Good luck with your two devices and waiting on the next.

I've been loving my PRIV and can't wait to give the KEYone a go.
    03-21-17 11:24 AM

Besides according to your signature you're on a Passport, which doesn't have a toolbelt.

I'd have to agree this. Smartphones are not for everybody. Flip phones or an old Motorola StarTac would do some just fine.
    03-21-17 11:32 AM
    So, now we are comparing the KEYone with the S8?

This gets better and better everyday...
    You've been here long enough to know how this works. Fall in line and compare two entirely different things or get out!
    03-21-17 11:41 AM

Further adding to the confusion is the Q10 and Moto X Force don't have toolbelts either...
    BigBadWulf, Carjackd and mrfreeze like this.
    03-21-17 12:14 PM
59 123