The mic does not work when I turn the speakerphone on. It works on normal phone call, works with headset and bluetooth.

After some searches, I have read the phone has two mics. However, I cannot find two mics or replacement parts.

The following thread says there are two mics and in very vague manner, describes it. However it makes no sense to me (3rd post down). My guess is that he is referring to the loudspeaker. Is there a second mic built into the loudspeaker?

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...e-use-1149864/

Here is the flex cable. It has a mic, light + proximity sensor. The cable plugs in at the top of the phone. My light, proximity sensor and 'regular' mic work fine.

KEYone microphone locations?-top-mic-light-sensor-keyone.jpg

Here is a picture of the KEYone. If there are indeed two mics, where is the other one located?

Is it embedded on the board?

KEYone microphone locations?-keyone-opened2.jpg
    Last edited by trandat; 10-21-20 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Added more detail to questions, cropped photo.
    10-21-20 12:24 PM
    The mic does not work when I turn the speakerphone on. It works on normal phone call, works with headset and bluetooth.

After some searches, I have read the phone has two mics. However, I cannot find two mics or replacement parts.

The following thread says there are two mics and in very vague manner, describes it. However it makes no sense to me (3rd post down). My guess is that he is referring to the loudspeaker. Is there a second mic built into the loudspeaker?

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...e-use-1149864/

Here is the flex cable. It has a mic, light + proximity sensor. The cable plugs in at the top of the phone. My light, proximity sensor and 'regular' mic work fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top mic and light sensor keyone.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	449831

Here is a picture of the KEYone. If there are indeed two mics, where is the other one located?

Name:	keyone opened2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	449834
    The bottom microphone is located behind the left grill which looks like a speaker grill. Nothing wrong with that one.
    If you look at the top of your fully assembled KeyOne, you should see a tiny pin hole somewhere along the top of the device. Make sure this hole isn't clogged up with gunk - if it is you could try carefully scraping it out with a safety pin. If the mic hole is all clear and it still won't work you'll need to relace it. I'm guessing you'd need to take the board above the battery off to reveal the assembly in your first photo, however I'm sure @Kraftarama will have a better idea.
    10-21-20 02:19 PM

Name:	keyone opened2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	449834
    The bottom Mic is on the motherboard. That is the mic that would absolutely be in use when making a normal call. KEYone microphone locations?-notable-00160.jpeg
    10-21-20 02:34 PM
    The bottom microphone is located behind the left grill which looks like a speaker grill. Nothing wrong with that one.
    If you look at the top of your fully assembled KeyOne, you should see a tiny pin hole somewhere along the top of the device. Make sure this hole isn't clogged up with gunk - if it is you could try carefully scraping it out with a safety pin. If the mic hole is all clear and it still won't work you'll need to relace it. I'm guessing you'd need to take the board above the battery off to reveal the assembly in your first photo, however I'm sure @Kraftarama will have a better idea.
    Thank you for your reply.

When you are referring to a left grill, are you talking about the holes in the center of the top cap?
    Underneath that top cap, is the earpiece speaker (cap and speaker in photo below). I don't see a 'left' or right grill, though.

Then, under that, is the flex cable with the proximity sensor, light and perhaps a mic but I am unsure (the cable in the first photo in the OP).

You do not need to remove the board to get to, or remove the earpiece speaker or the flex cable.

Are you saying that both mics are on that flex cable?

Attachment 449838

KEYone microphone locations?-wp_20201021_14_39_51_proa.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails KEYone microphone locations?-wp_20201021_14_32_06_pro.jpg  
    10-21-20 02:53 PM
    The bottom Mic is on the motherboard. That is the mic that would absolutely be in use when making a normal call. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOTABLE-00160.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	449836
    ooooh OK. The bottom mic is on the board and this is for normal calls. My normal calls work fine.

And the speakerphone mic is on the flex cable? Or am I incorrect in thinking that and speakerphone mic is elsewhere?
    10-21-20 02:57 PM
    ooooh OK. The bottom mic is on the board and this is for normal calls. My normal calls work fine.

And the speakerphone mic is on the flex cable? Or am I incorrect in thinking that and speakerphone mic is elsewhere?
    The top microphone (on the flex cable) is used for noise cancelling. The phone uses it to listen to the external environment (not including your voice), so that it can filter that out from the sounds it hears using the main (bottom) microphone. That way, it can reduce the amount of noise that comes with your voice, and make your call more audible to the other party.
    10-21-20 03:12 PM
    The top microphone (on the flex cable) is used for noise cancelling. The phone uses it to listen to the external environment (not including your voice), so that it can filter that out from the sounds it hears using the main (bottom) microphone. That way, it can reduce the amount of noise that comes with your voice, and make your call more audible to the other party.
    So what does it indicate if normal calls work perfectly, while on speaker the other party is unable to hear you?
    10-21-20 04:42 PM

Let's back up a little. When did this problem start happening, out of the box or just recently?
    10-21-20 06:01 PM
    Then try running the built in diagnostic test by typing *#2886# into your phone app and it will bring up a diagnostic screen, tap on MANU and then run the audio test. The main Mic and Sub Mic are the tests you want to report back with. To exit the diagnostic test scroll all the way to the bottom and choose exit.
    10-21-20 06:21 PM
    So what does it indicate if normal calls work perfectly, while on speaker the other party is unable to hear you?
    Usually a software issue... we'll see. Might just need a FF22 patented 32 second reboot, maybe an autoloader or even a factory reset....???
    10-21-20 06:24 PM
    This is where I was going. I am going to answer is questions in regards to diagnostics
    10-21-20 06:43 PM
    Let's back up a little. When did this problem start happening, out of the box or just recently?
    My brother gave me his old phone and it was like this from day one. I've asked him about it and he is unsure when it started. He said he was unaware since he was always on bluetooth.
    Everything else on the phone works and it passes every test via the BBVE app. With the exception of the microphone not working via the loudspeaker.
    10-21-20 06:45 PM
    Then try running the built in diagnostic test by typing *#2886# into your phone app and it will bring up a diagnostic screen, tap on MANU and then run the audio test. The main Mic and Sub Mic are the tests you want to report back with. To exit the diagnostic test scroll all the way to the bottom and choose exit.
    Mic - Passes.
    Sub Mic - Fails. Sounds like light static when I try to use in in BBVE.

I should also mention, when I had the phone it had ABA 676 on it and was on android 7.1 The loudspeaker mic did not work. I've updated to ABP 819 and Android 8.1. The loudspeaker mic still fails.

I've factory reset the phone after the updates. Mic Still fails.
    Last edited by trandat; 10-21-20 at 07:24 PM.
    10-21-20 06:48 PM
    Mic - Passes.
    Sub Mic - Fails.
    The only things I'd suggest at this point is to try a 32 second reboot (hold the power button down for 32 seconds, it will vibrate 5-6 times) then try bbve again after reboot. After that if it is still not working do a factory reset, shouldn't be a pain for you since you just got the phone. Good luck. Report back.
    10-21-20 06:53 PM
    Mic - Passes.
    Sub Mic - Fails.

I should also mention, when I had the phone it had ABA 676 on it and was on android 7.1 The loudspeaker mic did not work. I've updated to ABP 819 and Android 8.1. The loudspeaker mic still fails.

I've factory reset the phone after the updates. Mic Still fails.
    Well I'd say enjoy your free phone, without speakerphone...
    10-21-20 07:07 PM
    The only things I'd suggest at this point is to try a 32 second reboot (hold the power button down for 32 seconds, it will vibrate 5-6 times) then try bbve again after reboot. After that if it is still not working do a factory reset, shouldn't be a pain for you since you just got the phone. Good luck. Report back.
    First, I appreciate your assistance. Thanks.

32 second boot failed to fix the issue.
    Factory reset has not fixed the issue.

Earlier you sad the top mic was for noise cancelling. Is this used during both normal calls and loud speaker mic use?

I'm thinking 2 things. 1. Replace the top cable. I doubt its bad because everything else on it works. The lights, proximity sensor etc. But maybe that mic is somehow damaged and interferes with loudspeaker mic function?
    2. Doing an autoloader install / reinstall. If its indeed a software issue, maybe this would work. Although tbh, I am less optimistic with the second idea because I've already updated the OS to 8.1 (was 7.1 this morning).

Now I need to hunt down a known good working flex cable to rule that out.

At this point, I'm just really curious. I wonder what BB techs do in these circumstances and what they know to be the issue. If only I could talk with one who repairs these phones lol
    10-21-20 07:18 PM
    First, I appreciate your assistance. Thanks.

32 second boot failed to fix the issue.
    Factory reset has not fixed the issue.

Earlier you sad the top mic was for noise cancelling. Is this used during both normal calls and loud speaker mic use?

I'm thinking 2 things. 1. Replace the top cable. I doubt its bad because everything else on it works. The lights, proximity sensor etc. But maybe that mic is somehow damaged?
    2. Doing an autoloader install / reinstall. If its indeed a software issue, maybe this would work. Although tbh, I am less optimistic with the second idea because I've already updated the OS to 8.1 (was 7.1 this morning).

Now I need to hunt down a known good working flex cable
    Good luck on finding a replacement cable, you will not find a new one, you may find a used one sold by a recycler. Best of luck to you and let us know if you ever get it to work...I'd still advise against it due to the potential damage to the earpiece, proximity sensor and LED.
    10-21-20 07:25 PM
    Well I'd say enjoy your free phone, without speakerphone...
    I know right.

Aside from that speakerphone mic and a bad battery, everything works. WiFi, bluetooth, Internet, sms, mms, proximity sensors, gps, vibration. I'll replace the battery and have a nice phone.
    anon(10694483) likes this.
    10-21-20 07:30 PM
    maybe delete ALL Bluetooth devices on it one by one and 32 second reboot…
    10-22-20 09:07 AM
    Good luck on finding a replacement cable, you will not find a new one, you may find a used one sold by a recycler. Best of luck to you and let us know if you ever get it to work...I'd still advise against it due to the potential damage to the earpiece, proximity sensor and LED.
    Thanks again for the assistance. I will try this method with a known good working and tested flex / proximity cable. That way I can cross the cable off the check list.
    10-22-20 09:25 AM
    maybe delete ALL Bluetooth devices on it one by one and 32 second reboot…
    Thank you for the idea. Do you mean bluetooth connections? When I factory reset the phone, it would have deleted any existing + saved connections. Unless you mean something different? Such as disabling bluetooth entirely or digging a bit deeper into the phone functions?
    10-22-20 09:27 AM