My KeyOne has been running a little laggy, so the advice I've seen is to clear off some of the internal memory. Sure enough, when I look at my Settings->Storage, it is telling me that I am using 19.79GB of the 32GB.

When I drill deeper, it says that Apps are consuming 18.84GB of this storage.

But when I drill deeper, it seems like totaling the individual app usage doesn't come anywhere close to 18.84GB.

When I total up the usage of each app that is using over 1MB in size, I get 5,698 MB. That is certainly not 18.84 GB - not even close, even accounting for rounding errors.

Is it possible I have some sort of virus whereby some app is hidden but consuming storage? Or am I interpreting this data incorrectly in some way?
    05-14-18 08:52 AM
    My KeyOne has been running a little laggy, so the advice I've seen is to clear off some of the internal memory. Sure enough, when I look at my Settings->Storage, it is telling me that I am using 19.79GB of the 32GB.

But when I drill deeper, it seems like totaling the individual app usage doesn't come anywhere close to 18.84GB.

When I total up the usage of each app that is using over 1MB in size, I get 5,698 MB. That is certainly not 18.84 GB - not even close, even accounting for rounding errors.

Is it possible I have some sort of virus whereby some app is hidden but consuming storage? Or am I interpreting this data incorrectly in some way?
    This may be an app with a massive memory leak. For example, I ran into this issue recently and found out the bleacher report app was up to 6 gig of memory usage. Quickly cleared the memory and deleted the app.
    Go into settings the apps. Give it a little bit of time to populate and it will show how much memory each app is using right under the app name/icon.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-14-18 08:59 AM
    This may be an app with a massive memory leak. For example, I ran into this issue recently and found out the bleacher report app was up to 6 gig of memory usage. Quickly cleared the memory and deleted the app.
    Go into settings the apps. Give it a little bit of time to populate and it will show how much memory each app is using right under the app name/icon.
    Also make sure to clear your cache. If that gets up to the 1G value then the phone will start acting randomly weird. Cache needs to be cleaned regularly.
    05-14-18 09:15 AM
    Also make sure to clear your cache. If that gets up to the 1G value then the phone will start acting randomly weird. Cache needs to be cleaned regularly.
    This as well. If cache hasn't been cleared it could build up to a large amount and as mentioned could cause lag. Settings, storage, click on internal and then cached data to clear it.
    05-14-18 09:17 AM
    That's the point of my post though - when I look at the Apps in that list, and total up the memory used by each (using a calculator), it comes to just 5.6GB, but the total from the prior screen says that all apps are using 19GB. That's a huge difference.
    05-14-18 09:50 AM

PM me a screenshot or make two more posts and post one here of Settings -> Storage. Your description of internal storage usage seems strange in that apps are using all but 1GB. If your total usage is 20GB, system should be taking around half of that.
    05-14-18 09:56 AM
    Here's a shot of the overall usage:

KeyOne Memory/Storage apparent discrepancy-screenshot_20180514-111007.png
    05-14-18 10:21 AM
    Here's a shot of the individual app usage.

I totaled up all apps that had usages of over 1 MB (not GB). The total came to 5,698 MB (i.e. just under 6GB, plus or minus due to MB to GB conversion). The phone says that this should total about 19GB. Huge discrepancy.

KeyOne Memory/Storage apparent discrepancy-screenshot_20180514-111035.png
    05-14-18 10:23 AM
    I see "Other" says it's -11.65. Are System and Cache also negative values?
    05-14-18 10:25 AM
    No, System is 9.86GB and Cached is 11.89 MB (I just cleared it). I have no idea why Other is a negative number. But those are outside of the Apps total anyway. I'm curious as to why the Apps says 18.59GB, but the sum of all apps is somewhere near 6GB.
    05-14-18 10:54 AM
    No, System is 9.86GB and Cached is 11.89 MB (I just cleared it). I have no idea why Other is a negative number. But those are outside of the Apps total anyway. I'm curious as to why the Apps says 18.59GB, but the sum of all apps is somewhere near 6GB.
    That's just goofy. Even with none of the other categories included, and accounting for proper arithmetic, the total amount used is incorrect.

It's somewhat of an inconvenience but perhaps a factory reset is the best route - it would cure in addition to fixing the storage readings.
    05-14-18 01:32 PM
    Just for comparison, here's my storage situation 48 hours after my own factory reset.

KeyOne Memory/Storage apparent discrepancy-screenshot_2018-05-14-13-36-33.jpg
    05-14-18 01:41 PM

I always assumed the additional space was taken up by the "System Apps" and android OS

and yes, i get that negative "other" category as well
    05-14-18 01:48 PM
    Settings > Apps and tap on each app listed under Downloaded. Then, tap Move to SD Card, if the choice is available. Keep in mind that some phones house the option to Transfer data to SD card under Settings > Storage.

If you’re running Android 6.0 Marshmallow or later, then you can also choose to format your card as internal storage during the setup process by selecting Use as internal storage. This is a good idea if you intend to keep the card permanently in your Android device. However, it also means that it won’t work with your PC or other devices. If you want to remove it and use it to transfer files, then opt for the Use as portable storage option. If you do format it as internal storage, then Android will automatically copy some apps and other data onto it. The operating system will also save new apps and files onto it by default when it decides that’s the best option.

Additionally, devices running Android 6.0 Marshmallow and later feature built-in file management, which you can access via Settings > Storage > Explore.
    Anything after Marshmallow won't have option to move apps to SD cars. As for formating the SD card as internal storage, I would never recommend that personally. And I don't believe that just some apps that will get moved to it if formatted as adoptable. It essentially becomes your internal memory of your phone.
    05-15-18 03:39 PM