Which one to get? I think both . A Double BB please..
    If they say the Krypton is a Companion to Key-one why not call it "Key-Less" ?
    I like to switch up once and awhile .
    09-17-17 03:47 PM
    Which one to get? I think both . A Double BB please..
    If they say the Krypton is a Companion to Key-one why not call it "Key-Less" ?
    I like to switch up once and awhile .
    maybe Keynone
    hoopitz likes this.
    09-17-17 04:43 PM
    Hope they develop a PKB attachment for it, or else...generic slab with BB branding... but if the rumored 4000 mAh + SD 625 is true we would at least get a workhorse of a slab!
    09-17-17 04:59 PM
    I suspect we will start to see some leaks within the next week and a half, then the fun begins!!!!
    09-17-17 09:39 PM
    Pretty sure this will most likely end up with the usual decision whether you need the PKB or not. Depending on the actual screensize, the 625 SoC combined with a 4000mAH battery will be a pretty dependable full-touch workhorse.
    09-17-17 09:53 PM
    Another slab - not sure how it will be profitable for BlackBerry mobile. Their differentiator is the keyboard and a 'secured' instance of Android. The fact that most of the BlackBerry apps work on other android devices, I'm not sure what market they are going after.

Silent Circle's Blackphone has the better secured slab.

I'd like to see BlackBerry mobile continue on the keyboard path. Fix the antenna issue, provide some different color options and beef up the specs while not killing batter life - like wireless charging.

I love my KEYone, my favorite BlackBerry since the classic.
    Bure03 likes this.
    09-17-17 10:36 PM
    maybe Keynone
    You win!
    09-17-17 11:48 PM
    Another slab - not sure how it will be profitable for BlackBerry mobile. Their differentiator is the keyboard and a 'secured' instance of Android. The fact that most of the BlackBerry apps work on other android devices, I'm not sure what market they are going after.

I'd like to see BlackBerry mobile continue on the keyboard path. Fix the antenna issue, provide some different color options and beef up the specs while not killing batter life - like wireless charging.

How large is the keyboard market?

Will it support even one device? How long will they need to sell it to see a return? You brought up Silent Circle, by all accounts they built fewer the 250K of the BlackPhone2 and have been selling that same model for two years, and don't seem to be replacing it anytime soon.

How many KEYones have they sold? How many of those same KEYone owners would buy a KEYtwo a year later? Or would they want a new phone in two or three years?

Too be honest I don't think anyone knows the answer.... TCL is in the process of finding out, but they are clearly being very careful about it.

I suspect they really need the Enterprise Market in order to make this licensing deal with BlackBerry viable. And Enterprise isn't buying much in the way of PKBs anymore.

In the end, even BlackBerry has a minimum number of licensing fees necessary to keep their licensing department and Android Development going. PT BB Merah Putih in Indonesia and India's Optiemus sure aren't doing much to make this licensing deal work for BlackBerry. It's pretty much on TCL....
    09-18-17 12:15 PM

Some other people are of the opinion that BlackBerry (and licensees) should get out of the keyboard market altogether as the "market has spoken" and people want slabs.

As for Blackphone, the security they provided can be had for $9.95/month on Android and iOS. You don't need to have their phone. Similar to BlackBerry, then, what market are they going after?
    09-18-17 01:30 PM
    100% want slabs.... that is a lot, what actually is the annual size of the market for new Android devices worldwide (or where TCL plays)?

Can you throw PBK a 5% bone, and TCL say 60% market share of that.

How many phones per year does that get you.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-17 02:01 PM
    Maybe...maybe people want slabs because that's all that manufacturers offer these days. Maybe they haven't been offered a decent alternative to slabs, so they just take what's on the table...and save for the KEYone, what's on the table? You guessed it, slabs.
    09-18-17 02:56 PM
    Maybe...maybe people want slabs because that's all that manufacturers offer these days. Maybe they haven't been offered a decent alternative to slabs, so they just take what's on the table...and save for the KEYone, what's on the table? You guessed it, slabs.
    This is a good argument! I don't believe that 100% of the people out there want slabs. Nowadays, you've got to create a market! Look what apple did, they just created the "hey app developers, figure out how to scale your apps around our display eyebrow in both landscape and portrait mode" market! Then again, Apple has the brand and cult following that BlackBerry used to and wish they had.

The challenge for BlackBerry (and now TCL) is that they completely missed out on a generation of users that Apple locked over the course of the last 10 years. Those Apple customers will be iPhone users for life.

Anyways, getting back on track with the thread, I will happily buy the Krypton if it has similar design elements of the KEYone. Even though I own both the DTEK50 and DTEK60, when I look at them, they just don't feel like BlackBerrys to me!
    TCM01 likes this.
    09-18-17 04:42 PM

Will it support even one device? How long will they need to sell it to see a return? You brought up Silent Circle, by all accounts they built fewer the 250K of the BlackPhone2 and have been selling that same model for two years, and don't seem to be replacing it anytime soon.

How many KEYones have they sold? How many of those same KEYone owners would buy a KEYtwo a year later? Or would they want a new phone in two or three years?

Too be honest I don't think anyone knows the answer.... TCL is in the process of finding out, but they are clearly being very careful about it.

I suspect they really need the Enterprise Market in order to make this licensing deal with BlackBerry viable. And Enterprise isn't buying much in the way of PKBs anymore.

In the end, even BlackBerry has a minimum number of licensing fees necessary to keep their licensing department and Android Development going. PT BB Merah Putih in Indonesia and India's Optiemus sure aren't doing much to make this licensing deal work for BlackBerry. It's pretty much on TCL....
    TCL covering too much maybe ? Coming out with the Palm in 2018, their phones and BlackBerry phones.
    09-19-17 01:30 AM
    This is a good argument! I don't believe that 100% of the people out there want slabs. Nowadays, you've got to create a market! Look what apple did, they just created the "hey app developers, figure out how to scale your apps around our display eyebrow in both landscape and portrait mode" market! Then again, Apple has the brand and cult following that BlackBerry used to and wish they had.

The challenge for BlackBerry (and now TCL) is that they completely missed out on a generation of users that Apple locked over the course of the last 10 years. Those Apple customers will be iPhone users for life.

Anyways, getting back on track with the thread, I will happily buy the Krypton if it has similar design elements of the KEYone. Even though I own both the DTEK50 and DTEK60, when I look at them, they just don't feel like BlackBerrys to me!
    Totally agree.
    BlackBerry should start with the base , kids then work from their. That's where it all starts isn't it. Apple did it.
    I like the Dtek60 but I would love it if it was built like a real BlackBerry with updates.
    Hopefully the Krypton is close to the same design as Key-one but thinner.
    Saw this on YouTube but don't think they are true , but not too bad.
    Attached Thumbnails KEYone and Krypton?-36460.jpg  
    09-19-17 01:50 AM
    Totally agree.
    BlackBerry should start with the base , kids then work from their. That's where it all starts isn't it. Apple did it.
    I like the Dtek60 but I would love it if it was built like a real BlackBerry with updates.
    Hopefully the Krypton is close to the same design as Key-one but thinner.
    Saw this on YouTube but don't think they are true , but not too bad.
    Attached Thumbnails KEYone and Krypton?-36453.jpg  
    09-19-17 01:57 AM
    I'm loving the Krypton renders! With a rumoured announcement pending sometime in October, isn't it time CB starts a Krypton subthread? October is only weeks away!
    09-19-17 09:35 AM
    I'm loving the Krypton renders! With a rumoured announcement pending sometime in October, isn't it time CB starts a Krypton subthread? October is only weeks away!
    On these renders they said out in December . Not sure who to believe really. Rumours in October too ,but could be just announced in October and out in December. Fake News and Fake Tube seems to get more attention than Real News.
    😀 Waiting for Crackberry News to confirm before I Believe 😉
    09-19-17 06:42 PM
    What's really cool about the Krypton so far is...in the pictures they've posted, they're staying with a distinctly BlackBerry look. The back has the carbon fiber weave of the Priv. I think this phone will be popular.
    phuoc likes this.
    09-22-17 06:56 AM
    What's really cool about the Krypton so far is...in the pictures they've posted, they're staying with a distinctly BlackBerry look. The back has the carbon fiber weave of the Priv. I think this phone will be popular.
    Yeah I like the new one too, I miss the Carbon Fiber look. Just need to make it a little thicker so it doesn't click. Would like the perimeter around it to be black like the Keyone.
    09-22-17 10:58 PM
    Hey could not believe the price on the iPhone X ... 😱....CRAZY... Makes You think even more about getting Keyone and Krypton.... Do you think? buy one outright the other on plan eh....
    09-22-17 11:03 PM

I agree 100%. And I'm pretty sure Silent Circle is in dire straights financially.

Sent from my BlackBerry KEYone - the most elegantly productive, secure, and utterly satisfying mobile device
    09-22-17 11:42 PM
    I agree 100%. And I'm pretty sure Silent Circle is in dire straights financially.

Sent from my BlackBerry KEYone - the most elegantly productive, secure, and utterly satisfying mobile device
    They got some investor cash, but it appears they too are moving into mainly software. They plan to keep selling BlackPhones... but that probable is because they have some many left to sell.

Problem is EVERYONE is improving their security... Google and App developers have come a LONG way from when Silent Circle started up. Think Silent Circle and companies like Secure-smart are still needed, but we are talking a very small niche.

BlackBerry's Security was actually not why most people bought them... if was the email services or the ability to deploy devices so easily. Fast forward 10 years and everyone has instant email, great battery life, pretty good security and competitive pricing...
    09-25-17 10:17 AM
    Fast forward 10 years and everyone has instant email, great battery life, pretty good security and competitive pricing...
    Great battery life? Lol with most smartphones these days you can't fully enjoy their speed/features and expect to last an entire day without a battery case/pack.

Faster processors/apps/OS + bigger screens make for more power hungry devices while battery sizes/performance don't seem to stay on the same page.

I wish I was wrong though
    09-25-17 01:18 PM
    Great battery life? Lol with most smartphones these days you can't fully enjoy their speed/features and expect to last an entire day without a battery case/pack.

Faster processors/apps/OS + bigger screens make for more power hungry devices while battery sizes/performance don't seem to stay on the same page.

I wish I was wrong though
    My wife's iPhone 7+ last her all day long... lots of puzzle game playing going on between her working.

My Galaxy S7 can last almost two days... just have to put it in medium "Power Saving Mode" and Optimized "Performance Mode" and put any apps I don't need to sleep. That said normal day has me near a charger in the car, so I can leave it the "Power Saving Mode" off and "Performance Mode" on High Performance and I have no issues with a 8 - 10 Hr window at work. But that is mostly calls, texts and emails and maybe checking Fantasy Stats for NFL or Weather.

My last phone a Droid Turbo had plenty of battery power... it just couldn't swim. I don't miss the struggles I had with my BlackBerry Z10 or my BlackBerry STORM when it came to not having a usable device part way through the day.
    phuoc likes this.
    09-25-17 02:55 PM