Hi

While I've finally managed to get my hands on a KeyOne demonstrator, the Carphone Warehouse staff were predictably useless, so could neither give me any info/tips, nor detach the phone from its anchorage to the wall to allow me to get a proper feel for it.... (Call me old-fashioned, but I am contemplating chinging out £500 here!)

So I suspect someone here will be able to help me: I am of course used to the Classic's excellent trackpad, and would miss it sorely; I'm something of a touchscreen-phobic in general...

Obviously I know about the capacitative keyboard on the KeyOne, and have had a small try in the shop, but didn't really fully get the hang of it, I'd have to say. I can see how you'd use it for scrolling and that seems to work OK - but what I'm not so clear on is whether/how you'd use it for selecting an item. One particular example situation would be to scroll to and then select/activate an app on the homescreen; another would be when browsing the web to select items e.g. clicking links: I find trying to browse the internet on a touchscreen-only phone or browser one of life's more ghastly experiences!

Any advice very gratefully received! Many thanks.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-17 12:42 PM
    The K1 capacitive keys are not able to be used to control a pointer like a mouse. I believe the Priv could be configured with "Pointer Mode" , which provided this capability.

I had the Classic before getting my K1 last week and was also concerned about selecting links on Web pages. So far it hasn't been to much of an issue for me. I miss the track pad most when I'm trying to go back and edit text I've already entered. Web page links haven't been an issue, yet!

I figured it was either stay on the classic if I needed the Trac pad, or go to K1 and have access to more apps but still have a pkb.

I have been very pleased with the K1, coming from a Classic.
    06-19-17 01:22 PM
    Very helpful post: thanks!

Posted via CB10
    06-19-17 01:25 PM
    I miss the track pad most when I'm trying to go back and edit text I've already entered.
    There is a cursor mode using the KeyOne keyboard that is activated by double tapping the keyboard. Then you can scroll and select text like you could with trackpad+Shift key.

I also went to the KeyOne from the Classic. Took me about two days to get used to the KeyOne keyboard, but feels natural now.
    mycroftsg likes this.
    06-19-17 01:40 PM
    Thanks, Mighel - very useful.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-17 02:24 PM
    Also moved from Classic and I'm definitely happy with this move. There are definitely things I miss from Classic, mainly relating to one-handed use: using the trackpad and scrolling in lists are among those.

But I'm using the pkb shortcuts to the fullest and also using apps to add swipe actions, including All in one Gestures and Buttons Remapper, and I'm pretty close to the BB experience.

Given where we came from, no other device on the market gets even close to this. Get it and enjoy. (and get a case! I cracked my camera glass cover)
    Last edited by pooyam; 06-19-17 at 07:37 PM.
    06-19-17 04:10 PM
    Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    06-19-17 04:30 PM
    I did not know that. I just tried the cursor mode and it definitely helps when trying to edit text already entered.

Thanks
    06-19-17 05:19 PM
    Well, I've just ordered a KeyOne, so fingers crossed... I can see myself missing BBOS though!

And thanks to all for the advice.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-17 05:21 PM
    There is a cursor mode using the KeyOne keyboard that is activated by double tapping the keyboard. Then you can scroll and select text like you could with trackpad+Shift key.

I also went to the KeyOne from the Classic. Took me about two days to get used to the KeyOne keyboard, but feels natural now.
    How's this work? Double tapping keyboard doesn't do anything.
    06-19-17 07:49 PM
    you have to be typing or in a text fielding I should say, then double click keyboard!
    06-19-17 07:55 PM
    How's this work? Double tapping keyboard doesn't do anything.
    It works when you've already entered text in a text field, like it works when I'm typing this right now on Android CrackBerry app.

Another useful bit is that when the black arrow appears, you scroll on the keyboard to move the arrow within a row, but if you want to go further away within the text, you just tap somewhere else and drag the blue teardrop looking icon around to get to wherever.

To Select, you can hold Shift and use the keyboard to scroll, which is as close to being on the Classic as we can hope for (I used a Classic from the day it launched in May 2015 til the day I got my KEYone, so I'm having a learning experience like to a lot of others on these forums!)

Spending time on the KEYone (and on CrackBerry) is the best way to find out these little tricks. I spend very little time on my iPhone 7 Plus now because I want to get to know Android as much as I can.
    06-19-17 08:02 PM